• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random stupid things on your mind. Post them.

Started by timpate, September 20, 2010, 07:56:24 PM

TigerLily

Quote from: GravitySucks on March 13, 2017, 10:03:45 AM
Assuming a blind person could even locate the white courtesy telephone in the gate area, how would they know to reach out and read the braille on the signs next to it?

I want the job at the airport of looping the cords around the phones

TigerLily

Quote from: Taaroa on March 13, 2017, 10:10:19 AM

I hope the pilot's seeing eye dog is well-trained.  "Time to land the plane now, Fido ... good boy!"

TigerLily

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on March 13, 2017, 10:14:40 AM
I wonder why the drive up ATMs at my bank have instructions in braille.

For when the driver is blind drunk? He/she still needs to be able to withdraw funds for bar-hopping. And how do blind people know if they are tipping the bartender with a $5 or a $50?

TigerLily

Hey. Just noticed.  Why only old white men with funny hair on our money? Time to head over to the SJW thread  >:(

Norm

Quote from: TigerLily on March 13, 2017, 10:28:08 AM
how do blind people know if they are tipping the bartender with a $5 or a $50?

The secret tip fold trick. It's been in use for centuries by many cultures. Early Egyptians would also poke small holes in Lincoln's ear. Blind Melon Chitlin could also tell by smell, large bills often would have traces of cheap perfume and would have a fishy smell associated with skin sweat.

TigerLily

Quote from: Norm on March 13, 2017, 10:53:08 AM
The secret tip fold trick. It's been in use for centuries by many cultures. Early Egyptians would also poke small holes in Lincoln's ear. Blind Melon Chitlin could also tell by smell, large bills often would have traces of cheap perfume and would have a fishy smell associated with skin sweat.

Gives me an idea. You could have your seeing eye dog dip your currency in appropriate libations for each currency. Then after they dry the dog could always sniff out the right amount for you. For example, $1 Bud Light, $5 chamomile tea, $100 Dom Perignon, etc

Edit: those wily ancient Egyptians. Pyramids are fine but inventing how to mark U.S. currency, genius. Never play cards with an ancient Egyptian

Norm

Quote from: TigerLily on March 13, 2017, 11:04:34 AM
Gives me an idea. You could have your seeing eye dog dip your currency in appropriate libations for each currency. Then after they dry the dog could always sniff out the right amount for you. For example, $1 Bud Light, $5 chamomile tea, $100 Dom Perignon, etc

Edit: those wily ancient Egyptians. Pyramids are fine but inventing how to mark U.S. currency, genius. Never play cards with an ancient Egyptian

I believe you are on to something...something big...

Get your free money denomination reading app.  And Jackstar loves/hates/predicts their predictable logo:

http://www.eyenote.gov/

And while it's a nifty idea, I do wonder if the blind would prefer dedicated hardware such as the iBill instead of messing with yet another smooth, flat screen.

The Bureau of Engraving and Printing is providing free iBills to eligible recipients.   If you know someone who needs it, tell them about this excellent program.  Stop needless high tipping.

http://www.bep.gov/uscurrencyreaderpgm.html

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on March 13, 2017, 10:14:40 AM
I wonder why the drive up ATMs at my bank have instructions in braille.

This used to bother me as well.  I determined that the number of walk-up ATMs is far far greater than the number of drive-up ATMs, so it's easier for the manufacturer to use one-size-fits-all components.

Mrs. Walks_At_Night and I went out to dinner this evening.   At the end of the meal our waitress came over and
said "I sure do envy you both".  We're like "What in the world.  Whatever for?"   She said "You both sat and talked
with each other for the entire meal.  When my boyfriend and I go out, we sit together but we are on our phones the
entire time".   

:'(   

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on March 14, 2017, 09:04:15 PM
Mrs. Walks_At_Night and I went out to dinner this evening.   At the end of the meal our waitress came over and
said "I sure do envy you both".  We're like "What in the world.  Whatever for?"   She said "You both sat and talked
with each other for the entire meal.  When my boyfriend and I go out, we sit together but we are on our phones the
entire time".   

:'(   

The human interface may be becoming obsolete. I don't think this song has been any truer or more applicable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlUlvUm2ocw

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on March 13, 2017, 04:44:19 PM
This used to bother me as well.  I determined that the number of walk-up ATMs is far far greater than the number of drive-up ATMs, so it's easier for the manufacturer to use one-size-fits-all components.

I think it's actually the law that all ATMs, etc, have it

albrecht

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on March 14, 2017, 09:18:20 PM
Probably a part of that "public accommodations" crap that hurts so many small businesses, builders, etc. Create a problem where there wasn't much of a one. And discriminate against the majority of people who would rather just walk up a few stairs to enter an establishment and not must endure and long, multi-level ramp to do so. Though I imagine cement companies and certain door-handle mfgs benefited from the law. (I'm not against accommodating disabled people, especially with so many veterans now returning with awful injuries but common-sense rules. Staff/family helping someone in a wheel-chair over a threshold or stairs in some small restaurant or something should suffice.) But things like requiring braille on things that by their nature a blind person wouldn't be using except in very rare cases? Requiring a house built for normally-abled people be compliant to these rules? Etc.

Quote from: albrecht on March 14, 2017, 09:24:30 PM
Probably a part of that "public accommodations" crap that hurts so many small businesses, builders, etc. Create a problem where there wasn't much of a one. And discriminate against the majority of people who would rather just walk up a few stairs to enter an establishment and not must endure and long, multi-level ramp to do so. Though I imagine cement companies and certain door-handle mfgs benefited from the law. (I'm not against accommodating disabled people, especially with so many veterans now returning with awful injuries but common-sense rules. Staff/family helping someone in a wheel-chair over a threshold or stairs in some small restaurant or something should suffice.) But things like requiring braille on things that by their nature a blind person wouldn't be using except in very rare cases? Requiring a house built for normally-abled people be compliant to these rules? Etc.

And that's assuming a blind driver would be able to find an ATM in the first place.

albrecht

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on March 14, 2017, 09:41:13 PM
And that's assuming a blind driver would be able to find an ATM in the first place.
Ha, I know there is nuance in blindness. But I can't imagine someone who could pass a driving test would need braille at a drive-thru ATM. Though, maybe, with a degenerative condition (since you don't need to take the eye test often for many years after initially passing?) But even then, do we want those folks using shapes and 'darker spots' on the highways? Well, I guess we get them sometimes with drunks and stoners but still do we need more? And why isn't Taco Bell or Jack-In-The-Box drive-thru have a Braille option?

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on March 14, 2017, 09:18:20 PM

Yeah.  I am familiar with the ADA, but I'd rather pretend to live in a more logical world instead of one oppressed by retarded legislation.

Now, is handicap parking required at fitness centers?  Seems to be.  Yet those slots are always empty.

In the meantime, using my handy Black & Decker portable power tool, I will continue grinding off the Braille dots at all drive thru ATMs.

Quote from: albrecht on March 14, 2017, 10:07:33 PM
Ha, I know there is nuance in blindness. But I can't imagine someone who could pass a driving test would need braille at a drive-thru ATM. Though, maybe, with a degenerative condition (since you don't need to take the eye test often for many years after initially passing?) But even then, do we want those folks using shapes and 'darker spots' on the highways? Well, I guess we get them sometimes with drunks and stoners but still do we need more? And why isn't Taco Bell or Jack-In-The-Box drive-thru have a Braille option?

That raises a good point, but it wouldn't do the drunks and/or stoners any good because its unlikely they can read Braille.

albrecht

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on March 14, 2017, 10:19:18 PM
That raises a good point, but it wouldn't do the drunks and/or stoners any good because its unlikely they can read Braille.
But it would be fun to watch them try on the CCTV cams.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on March 14, 2017, 10:12:59 PM
Yeah.  I am familiar with the ADA, but I'd rather pretend to live in a more logical world instead of one oppressed by retarded legislation.

Now, is handicap parking required at fitness centers?  Seems to be.  Yet those slots are always empty.

In the meantime, using my handy Black & Decker portable power tool, I will continue grinding off the Braille dots at all drive thru ATMs.

The screenplay for Cool Hand Cam is already writing itself somewhere.

albrecht

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on March 14, 2017, 10:12:59 PM

Just a few of the dots though, just for confusion and fun. Sort of like people scratch out letters by hand-dryers instructions etc or rearrange letters on outside convenience stores or fast food joints to make jokes, usually lurid. In my youth I was caught making a "hot buttered pussy" letter rearrangement joke on a What-A-Burger sign on the way to South Padre for Spring Break, probably right around this time of year. Proprietor just made me put it back and no consequences though.

I am seriously considering buying this labeler so I can leave dirty messages in Braille in bathroom stalls.***  Similar to DYMO labelers.

http://www.braillebookstore.com/Handheld-Braille-Labeler.1

*** "Cleopatra does the nasty."  "Pharaoh eats donkey goobers."  etc.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on March 14, 2017, 10:31:10 PM
I am seriously considering buying this labeler so I can leave dirty messages in Braille in bathroom stalls.***  Similar to DYMO labelers.

http://www.braillebookstore.com/Handheld-Braille-Labeler.1

*** "Cleopatra does the nasty."  "Pharaoh eats donkey goobers."  etc.

For a good time call - the GabCast

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on March 14, 2017, 10:23:49 PM
The screenplay for Cool Hand Cam is already writing itself somewhere.

As inevitable as were Shakespeare's scribblings.

TigerLily

Soothsayer. Beware the ides of March.
Caesar. What man is that?
Brutus. A soothsayer bids you beware the ides of March.
Caesar. Set him before me; let me see his face.
Cassius. Fellow, come from the throng; look upon Caesar.
Caesar. What say'st thou to me now? speak once again.
Caesar. He is a dreamer; let us leave him: pass.

Quote from: TigerLily on March 15, 2017, 10:45:18 AM
Caesar. What man is that?
Brutus. A soothsayer bids you beware the ides of March.
Caesar. Set him before me; let me see his face.
Cassius. Fellow, come from the throng; look upon Caesar.
Caesar. What say'st thou to me now? speak once again.
Caesar. He is a dreamer; let us leave him: pass.