• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Your Supernatural Experiences

Started by MV/Liberace!, May 08, 2008, 12:36:40 AM

ItsOver

Quote from: West of the Rockies on May 08, 2013, 10:48:37 AM
.... I also, as long as we're bitching about this, detest that so many stadiums (and college bowl games) have corporate names.  I liked the "Fabulous Forum" (home of the Lakers).  The Great Western Forum?  Not so much....  The Staples Center?  Even worse....

My favorite is the San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl game.  It sounds like a Simpsons parody.  ::)

Sardondi

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on June 28, 2013, 05:09:16 PMI disagree completely. Safeco field (1999) is amazing. New Busch Stadium (2006) and Great American Ballpark (2003) are all great. I go to them any chance I can get. Petco Park(2004) is also a great place. I haven't been to any of the new stadiums in New York. I enjoyed everything about Citizen's Bank Park (2004), except for the Phillies fans.
Meh, for me ballparks should be single-use facilities which cannot be mistaken for anything than what it is. be or used for any purpose but baseball. I detest ballparks as DisneyWorlds. You should be able to buy a hat and a ball, but effing clothing stores and boutiques that sell rhinestone-covered warmup jackets?! How about video arcades to keep the kids from being bored? Jeez, that used to be what the ballgame was! And restaurants? With wine lists? Make me gag. That is the damnable influence of corporate shills who know everything about marketing and nothing about baseball. The beancounters have installed countless instant distracting amusements meant to attract people who are as equally ignorant and uninterested in baseball as they are; and who think baseball terribly boring other than as an opportunity to engage in a little spotting of People-worthy celebrities.

Ballparks should be made of concrete, steel and wood; have grass in the outfield, and a roof over nothing more than the bathrooms. Rainouts used to be a part of the game, where aching knees and arms got a gloriously unexpected extra day of rest. But for each and every action, there's that opposite and equal, and the rainouts had to be made up, often late in the season and as an impromptu double-header, when those knees and arms were even worse. It was the natural, uncontrolled and uncontrollable thing about the game, the imponderable which made it so great. But maximizing profits demands making weather slave to our desires, so let's enclose the stadiums and pump in massively expensive air-conditioning. 

It would be wonderful if baseball people ran baseball instead of money people. 

What the hell does any of this have to do with supernatural experiences? Hey, anyone know any Major League ghost stories? 

ItsOver

Quote from: Sardondi on June 28, 2013, 08:23:27 PM

What the hell does any of this have to do with supernatural experiences? Hey, anyone know any Major League ghost stories?

Well, for supernatural, there's always the supposed "Curse of the Bambino" but I guess there was at least a temporary reprieve in '04.   ;)

ItsOver

...And a quick internet search reveals the following book:

"Field of Screams captures the soul of the game and memorializes its legendary players and historic moments. From haunted hotels to ballpark ghosts to departed Hall-of-Famers who don’t know the game is over, Field of Screams is chock full of fun, quirky stories that will delight skeptics and believers alike."
http://www.fieldofscreamsonline.com/

All of this from  the authors of the bestselling "Haunted Baseball: Ghosts, Curses, Legends & Eerie Events."

Search and ye shall find.

Uncle Duke

I guess my experience would be classified as a "shadow person", but what I saw was different than what most shadow people experiencers describe.

Early 70s, I was in my mid-teens living at home.  Our home was an old farm house, surrounded on three sides by corn fields.  One full moon summer night, probably 2-3am, I was awake and sitting on our sun porch listening to the local rock radio station.  I look out the window toward the corn field, and I see a shadow figure in a fedora-type hat go through our back yard and into the corn field.  The difference in my case was the shadow wasn't upright, it was one the ground like one would expect a shadow to be.  So it went under, not through the fence into the corn field.

My first thought was I'd seen the shadow of one of the many hobos who tended to camp out under a bridge halfway between our place and a major railroad crossing, about a hundred yards from our house.  It was the hat that brought that to mind, for some reason the hobos tended to wear wide brimmed hats, probably to protect them from sun and rain.  (I saw a lot of hobos up close and personal, my mom was an easy mark who felt sorry for them and gave them food and drink.)  Then it occurred to me what I saw went under the fence with no physical person having been seen. 

Went into the corn field the following day (over the fence) at the spot I saw the figure go under the fence.  Didn't see anything that looked out of the ordinary.  Lived at home for another couple of years before going off to college, never saw the shadow guy again.

Quote from: ItsOver on June 28, 2013, 08:56:07 PM
...And a quick internet search reveals the following book:

"Field of Screams captures the soul of the game and memorializes its legendary players and historic moments. From haunted hotels to ballpark ghosts to departed Hall-of-Famers who don’t know the game is over, Field of Screams is chock full of fun, quirky stories that will delight skeptics and believers alike."
http://www.fieldofscreamsonline.com/

All of this from  the authors of the bestselling "Haunted Baseball: Ghosts, Curses, Legends & Eerie Events."

Search and ye shall find.

Man, I am totally being haunted by the ghost of Rudy Meoli, one-time Angels infielder who booted every other groundball that went his way and hit for jackshit!  (Unless you grew up in so Cal in the early 70's, that name will probably mean nothing to you... But if you actually followed the then-California Angels, Rudy Meoli at shortstop with Rudy May pitching meant the team was gonna get clobbered.)

Regarding your experience, Uncle Duke @post #514, that's intriguing... A part of me wants to ask if the shadowy figure said, "If you build it, he will come"...  But silly joke aside, I am tempted to look for a rational explanation.  Might it have been a squirrel running along an electric line and casting an odd shadow?  (I know a squirrel would probably not resemble a human figure in a fedora, but at two in the a.m., things are weird.)  While I love paranormal topics, I tend to run straight towards the rational for explanation.  I guess I'm more Dana Scully than Fox Mulder in that sense.

Sadly enough, in my five+ decades, I can't say I've truly had any especially paranormal experiences other than some pretty powerful ESP sort of experiences. 

Sardondi

Quote from: Uncle Duke on August 08, 2013, 12:12:14 PM...My first thought was I'd seen the shadow of one of the many hobos who tended to camp out under a bridge halfway between our place and a major railroad crossing, about a hundred yards from our house...
Sounds like you and I are pretty close in age. Your description of your family home being a hundred yards from a major RR crossing used by hobos brings to mind the stories we'd tell each other on Boy Scout campouts.

One night when I was about 13, part of my BSA troop was camping out on family land which abutted a RR. We were about 400 yards from the tracks and listening to the trains run by when I decided to make up on the spot and tell a story about a homicidal maniac who on the anniversary of his murderous ax rampage (details of which prefigured Halloween by 7-8 years) decided to escape his hospital for the criminally insane, yadda yadda yadda, and jumped off the train.....just at our pasture...just at that moment. And he made his way uphill through the underbrush of a pine forest, until he came upon what looked like an encampment of 4 medium tents with about 15 boy scouts. And he silently crept up and waited for any signs of life as he lovingly handled his blade, waiting, waiting..... 

And damned if I didn't terrify not just my tentmates but my own self into not sleeping until the sun came up.

ItsOver

Quote from: Sardondi on June 28, 2013, 08:23:27 PM
Meh, for me ballparks should be single-use facilities which cannot be mistaken for anything than what it is. be or used for any purpose but baseball. I detest ballparks as DisneyWorlds. You should be able to buy a hat and a ball, but effing clothing stores and boutiques that sell rhinestone-covered warmup jackets?! How about video arcades to keep the kids from being bored? Jeez, that used to be what the ballgame was! And restaurants? With wine lists? Make me gag. That is the damnable influence of corporate shills who know everything about marketing and nothing about baseball. The beancounters have installed countless instant distracting amusements meant to attract people who are as equally ignorant and uninterested in baseball as they are; and who think baseball terribly boring other than as an opportunity to engage in a little spotting of People-worthy celebrities.

Ballparks should be made of concrete, steel and wood; have grass in the outfield, and a roof over nothing more than the bathrooms. Rainouts used to be a part of the game, where aching knees and arms got a gloriously unexpected extra day of rest. But for each and every action, there's that opposite and equal, and the rainouts had to be made up, often late in the season and as an impromptu double-header, when those knees and arms were even worse. It was the natural, uncontrolled and uncontrollable thing about the game, the imponderable which made it so great. But maximizing profits demands making weather slave to our desires, so let's enclose the stadiums and pump in massively expensive air-conditioning. 

It would be wonderful if baseball people ran baseball instead of money people. 

Right as always, Sardondi.   MLB for the most part has just become another sanitized, soulless corporate entity.  Concerning menu selections at the ballpark, it should be limited to a non-frou-frou local brew, peanuts in the shell, hot dogs (but ketchup is nowhere to be found), and, of course, Crackerjacks.  Legal beverages for minors you say?  Let them drink water, maybe a Nehi if they are well mannered and keeping stats.  Pro baseball as it should be may as well be considered a "supernatural experience."  :(

Uncle Duke

Quote from: West of the Rockies on August 08, 2013, 12:30:21 PM
Regarding your experience, Uncle Duke @post #514, that's intriguing... A part of me wants to ask if the shadowy figure said, "If you build it, he will come"...  But silly joke aside, I am tempted to look for a rational explanation.  Might it have been a squirrel running along an electric line and casting an odd shadow?  (I know a squirrel would probably not resemble a human figure in a fedora, but at two in the a.m., things are weird.)  While I love paranormal topics, I tend to run straight towards the rational for explanation.  I guess I'm more Dana Scully than Fox Mulder in that sense.

Sadly enough, in my five+ decades, I can't say I've truly had any especially paranormal experiences other than some pretty powerful ESP sort of experiences.

I'm a retired engineer, spent the bulk of my career as an aircraft mishap (we never said "crash") investigator for the DoD.  You're not going to find many people, certainly not among C2C listeners, who take as skeptical an approach to such things as I do. 

In the case of shadow figure, the power lines in our yard ran perpendicular to the direction whatever I saw was traveling.  So, even if a squirrel with a fedora had run across the power lines, he'd have been paralleling the fence separating our yard from the corn field.  I suppose the squirrel could have found one of Noory's portals and/or used some aspect of string theory to violate the laws of classical physics relative to optics and light transmissivity.  If that were possible, however, I'd think the squirrel would have already been interviewed by ol' George.

You sound a bit like me, Uncle Duke... I was a civilian CSI for some years; I look for good old-fashioned human depravity rather than demons, ghosts, and things that go bump in the night to explain weird and mysterious events.  I have no further observations as to what you saw.

I have a cousin who is not all that bright.  Nonetheless, he tells a story about a time he was delivering newspapers (an early a.m. car route for the S.F. Chronicle here in a very rural Nor Calif. town).  He was sitting in his car in his own driveway at abou 3:30 a.m. and heard the sound of footsteps approaching him from the rear of the car.  He said they sounded like the footsteps that might be made by a woman in high heels.  He turned around and saw nothing.  He fired up his vehicle and hit the road. (He's not the bravest of souls either... I think I might hope I was being approached by a woman in high heels at that hour!) Anyway, his story doesn't sound like a squirrel in a fedora either.

Uncle Duke

Well, since I'm already here, I might as well tell my UFO story....

This sighting occurred again on a summer evening, just before dark in the early 70s. I was in my early/mid teens, and we lived in rural Greene Co, between Xenia and Beavercreek, Ohio.  At the time the area was all farm land with just a smattering of old farm houses, including our home. My younger brother and I were in our back yard when I noticed a USAF C-119 transport approaching Wright-Patterson AFB (10 miles away) from the east. (I assume the aircraft was one from Lockbourne AFB near Columbus where an Air Force Reserve C-119 unit was based at the time. C-119s were very common sights in the area as a result.) The aircraft was probably at 2000-3000 ft, flying at around 150 mph.

As I watched I saw a brilliant light, quite small and very well defined, streak into view from overhead (approximately 30 degrees from the vertical from a southwestwardly direction) heading directly towards the transport. For the next 15-20 seconds, the light darted around the C-119 at very high speed, performing sharp maneuvers flying above, below and around the aircraft. The light then sped off in the same direction from which it came, although climbing at a significantly shallower angle than it arrived. Within seconds it was out of sight. Total time the light was in sight was less than 30 seconds.

During the encounter, there was no sound other than the piston engines of the transport. The C-119 did not appear to take any evasive action, meaning either the crew didn’t see the light or made a conscious decision not to evade. The C-119 continued towards WPAFB, where I assume it landed.

I specifically remember watching the local news for the next few days, and reading the local newspapers to see if the incident was reported. It was not uncommon for UFOs to be reported on TV and in the newspapers of the day, but no mention of the light I witnessed was reported by local media that I could find.

Sardondi

Quote from: Uncle Duke on August 08, 2013, 12:12:14 PM
I guess my experience would be classified as a "shadow person", but what I saw was different than what most shadow people experiencers describe.

Early 70s, I was in my mid-teens living at home.  Our home was an old farm house, surrounded on three sides by corn fields.  One full moon summer night, probably 2-3am, I was awake and sitting on our sun porch listening to the local rock radio station.  I look out the window toward the corn field, and I see a shadow figure in a fedora-type hat go through our back yard and into the corn field.  The difference in my case was the shadow wasn't upright, it was one the ground like one would expect a shadow to be.  So it went under, not through the fence into the corn field.

My first thought was I'd seen the shadow of one of the many hobos who tended to camp out under a bridge halfway between our place and a major railroad crossing, about a hundred yards from our house.  It was the hat that brought that to mind, for some reason the hobos tended to wear wide brimmed hats, probably to protect them from sun and rain.  (I saw a lot of hobos up close and personal, my mom was an easy mark who felt sorry for them and gave them food and drink.)  Then it occurred to me what I saw went under the fence with no physical person having been seen. 

Went into the corn field the following day (over the fence) at the spot I saw the figure go under the fence.  Didn't see anything that looked out of the ordinary.  Lived at home for another couple of years before going off to college, never saw the shadow guy again.
Before I went off down Memory Lane I had intended to say that what you saw in the corn field left me with eyes wide open. I tend to be skeptical, but can be moved by evidence. In fact, in a reversal of the usual cases, I was a hardcore skeptic when I was younger, and wouldn't even consider the possibility of the existence of UFOs/aliens/paranormal/NDEs, etc. Only when I hit 40 did I start examining my views about "alt" subjects; and I have to say, completely against scientific method and the principles of skepticism, I was quite affected by the power of anecdotal evidence. To me personal experiences can be just as valid as results from controlled testing. This is particularly so when there is essentially no other evidence available than that obtained through personal experience, such as in the case of NDEs. I can even accept that someone's personal experience overcomes all the scientific evidence and rational thinking which tells us that what they experienced simply cannot be. Except that it was. Exactly as in your case, when you saw something you knew couldn't be, and yet by experiencing it you were convinced of its authenticity. There's a lot more going on out there than we know.

*edit* Holy crap! I was drafting my page of blather while you were posting your UFO story. But it makes my point: even though you consider yourself a skeptic, I'm sure the intensity of what you experienced during your sighting convinced you that something which "just couldn't be", was. What does it feel like having actually seen something inexplicable?

onan

Quote from: Sardondi on August 08, 2013, 04:46:21 PM
Before I went off down Memory Lane I had intended to say that what you saw in the corn field left me with eyes wide open. I tend to be skeptical, but can be moved by evidence. In fact, in a reversal of the usual cases, I was a hardcore skeptic when I was younger, and wouldn't even consider the possibility of the existence of UFOs/aliens/paranormal/NDEs, etc. Only when I hit 40 did I start examining my views about "alt" subjects; and I have to say, completely against scientific method and the principles of skepticism, I was quite affected by the power of anecdotal evidence. To me personal experiences can be just as valid as results from controlled testing. This is particularly so when there is essentially no other evidence available than that obtained through personal experience, such as in the case of NDEs. I can even accept that someone's personal experience overcomes all the scientific evidence and rational thinking which tells us that what they experienced simply cannot be. Except that it was. Exactly as in your case, when you saw something you knew couldn't be, and yet by experiencing it you were convinced of its authenticity. There's a lot more going on out there than we know.

*edit* Holy crap! I was drafting my page of blather while you were posting your UFO story. But it makes my point: even though you consider yourself a skeptic, I'm sure the intensity of what you experienced during your sighting convinced you that something which "just couldn't be", was. What does it feel like having actually seen something inexplicable?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FbSPXC4btU#

Uncle Duke

Hard to answer that last question in context of the present day, considering I was relatively young at the time the two incidents occurred.  If I saw the shadow guy tonight under similar circumstances, I'd still be scratching my ass wondering what I saw.  The major difference would be, I think, now I'd go running out the door to see what was there.  (At age 14+/-, I bravely stayed put and tried to keep from soiling myself.)  I'd probably still have no idea what I saw

If I saw the UFO/light I saw "back in the day" buzz a military transport tonight, I'd be far more inclined to believe it was a test of some military system.  In my time as an aerospace engineer with the DoD, I saw some pretty amazing aircraft, in fact I was read into several black aircraft programs.   Mind you, I never saw anything like what I saw some 40 years ago, but then again I only worked manned aircraft.  With all the advances in UCAVs in the past several years, some unmanned aerial vehicle that small/agile/fast wouldn't surprise me now.  In 1970, I can't imagine we had anything like that technology, but I don't know that for a fact.

b_dubb

Uncle Duke I grew up near the Dayton Airport and had a UFO experience around the same time. Give or take a year. I'll link to it ...

http://coastgab.com/index.php?topic=192.40;wap2

b_dubb

I woke up this morning around 4:30 am and there plainly was the silhouette of a figure next to my bed and leaning over me. I panicked and screamed and suddenly there was nothing there. Simplest explanation: it was a dream. I've only ever had an experience like that on before.

I dismissed it and went back to sleep.

Uncle Duke

b_dubb:

Good write up on your sighting, but if you saw F-4s in the area, they weren't from WPAFB.  There were never any F-4s based at W-P, although I suppose they could have been transient a/c.  Up until the mid/late 70s, the closest Ohio ANG fighter unit, in Springfield, Ohio, flew F-100s.  I don't think any ANG or USAFR units in Ohio flew Phantoms, although I do know the Kentucky ANG flew RF-4s starting sometime in the mid 70s.  Would make good sense to send camera-equipped, high performance recon aircraft to get pictures of something like you saw.  Interesting you mentioned hearing a sonic boom, supersonic a/c could have reached the area north of Dayton from anywhere in KY in very short order.  Same for InANG Phantoms, I think they were based at Ft Wayne about that time.

Sardondi

Quote from: Uncle Duke on August 08, 2013, 05:23:33 PM...If I saw the UFO/light I saw "back in the day" buzz a military transport tonight, I'd be far more inclined to believe it was a test of some military system.  In my time as an aerospace engineer with the DoD, I saw some pretty amazing aircraft, in fact I was read into several black aircraft programs.   Mind you, I never saw anything like what I saw some 40 years ago, but then again I only worked manned aircraft.  With all the advances in UCAVs in the past several years, some unmanned aerial vehicle that small/agile/fast wouldn't surprise me now.  In 1970, I can't imagine we had anything like that technology, but I don't know that for a fact.
I don't think there's any doubt that many of the "silent triangles" seen in the last several years are our own experimental military aircraft, almost certainly using some kind of gravity propulsion. Just as I'm certain we have aircraft which can fly in near-space at Mach 7+ speeds, which are operational or nearly so.

Still, I am just as convinced we have no capacity to travel from Mach-20 to "speed-of-thought", or that we can make 90°-180° turns without slowing down and with no apparent G-effect. At least not manned craft. But even unmanned craft must submit to the laws of physics, and centrifugal force in particular, and surely there's no way we can make a full-size craft which travels at a few thousand mph and makes turns which are as sharp as if they were made with a protractor.

And another thought: would military craft, particularly of a very experimental type, be playing chicken? I'm not ready to believe US pilots of fantastic designs would be trying to scrape paint at 20,000 feet. Although for those who subscribe to the government-conspiracy, false-flag stories, that might be entirely plausible. 

I know we have classified aircraft today which would make my eyes bug out. I wish I knew what they were. But by the same token, I think there are things in our skies that our government has no frickin' idea what they are. 

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Uncle Duke on August 08, 2013, 04:42:08 PM
Well, since I'm already here, I might as well tell my UFO story....

This sighting occurred again on a summer evening, just before dark in the early 70s. I was in my early/mid teens, and we lived in rural Greene Co, between Xenia and Beavercreek, Ohio.  At the time the area was all farm land with just a smattering of old farm houses, including our home. My younger brother and I were in our back yard when I noticed a USAF C-119 transport approaching Wright-Patterson AFB (10 miles away) from the east. (I assume the aircraft was one from Lockbourne AFB near Columbus where an Air Force Reserve C-119 unit was based at the time. C-119s were very common sights in the area as a result.) The aircraft was probably at 2000-3000 ft, flying at around 150 mph.

As I watched I saw a brilliant light, quite small and very well defined, streak into view from overhead (approximately 30 degrees from the vertical from a southwestwardly direction) heading directly towards the transport. For the next 15-20 seconds, the light darted around the C-119 at very high speed, performing sharp maneuvers flying above, below and around the aircraft. The light then sped off in the same direction from which it came, although climbing at a significantly shallower angle than it arrived. Within seconds it was out of sight. Total time the light was in sight was less than 30 seconds.

During the encounter, there was no sound other than the piston engines of the transport. The C-119 did not appear to take any evasive action, meaning either the crew didn’t see the light or made a conscious decision not to evade. The C-119 continued towards WPAFB, where I assume it landed.

I specifically remember watching the local news for the next few days, and reading the local newspapers to see if the incident was reported. It was not uncommon for UFOs to be reported on TV and in the newspapers of the day, but no mention of the light I witnessed was reported by local media that I could find.

Folks like you make great witnesses. Kean's UFO book is full of such credible descriptions and encounters. It's likely that most strange aircraft are terrestrial. You have to wonder about a small fraction of sightings, though.

I saw a strange craft, in your old neck of the woods, when I was in grade school. We were at my aunt's house, which was close to Wright-Patterson. I was alone at the time. I saw what looked like a toy Stealth float and hover in a tiny clearing between some trees. I assumed that it was a military experiment of some kind due to its proximity to the base. Still, it definitely took me aback. This was quite some time before the Stealth project was public knowledge. Let's hope that the Aviary didn't see me watching it. ;)

Uncle Duke

Sardondi:

Back in the late 90s, I worked with a retired USAF Lt Col who had flown F-111s out of the UK.  As it turns out, we were in the UK together on business when the subject of UFOs came up over dinner in a local pub.  He proceeded to tell me about seeing one of the large, triangle shaped a/c out over the North Sea.  He radioed air traffic control to see if they had any a/c in his area, but was told no.  He took the hint that he wasn't seeing anything, and dropped it at that point. The funny part was both of us, knowing each other's background, thought the other knew the truth behind the object he (and his right-seater) saw that day.  It was comical as we verbally sparred to get the other to say something.  I honestly had no idea, still don't know if he knew (or later discovered) what it was.

On the night of 1 Jan 2007, I was watching the Boise St v. Oklahoma Fiesta Bowl.  Toward the end of the first half, sometime after 11pm EST, I heard a very odd, deep throbbing/rumbling sound.  You could say I felt it as much as I heard it.  I went outside, and there quite clearly in the full-moon sky was a contrail moving west-to-east at very high speed.  What caught my attention was the "donut-on-a-rope" appearance of the contrail.  I'd read of such contrails in the past in multiple sources like "Aviation Week", supposedly associated with the long rumored "Aurora" hypersonic aircraft.  Don't know what was making that contrail, but I saw the contrail very clearly.  Some months later, the WPAFB/military aviation writer for the "Dayton Daily News" wrote a story about others seeing the same type of contrail in the local night sky. Still don't know what it was, but I'm convinced it was the same thing the aviation media had been reporting on for some time.  I never heard anyone mention "Aurora" while with the DoD, but that doesn't mean there wasn't an American a/c of great capability creating those unusual contrails.  What the DoD (or CIA?) called it would have probably been something quite different than the name given by the aviation press.

lonevoice

I grew up in a home that was haunted.  It may have been haunted by the spirits of the Japanese-Americans who had been imprisoned in the relocation camp from which the structure used as the foundation of this home had been relocated and repurposed.   It may have been haunted by the multi-generational familial spirits that attached themselves to the vile and vicious history of some family members who also lived in the home.   It may have been haunted by the angry spirit of my father whose premature death created many reasons for him to seek retribution for what became of the home and its inhabitants after his untimely passing.  The manifestations were so frequent and varied, it may have been haunted by the spirits of all of those.

I could fill a book with the stories of perhaps as many as a hundred incidents that occurred over a period of the 14 years I lived in the home.  Were I a  better writer, I might be tempted to do just that.  The manifestations ranged from the mundane to the more elaborate, and from the benign to the seemingly malevolent.   Some of the manifestations are incidents for which others smarter than I might stumble upon plausible, natural explanations.  But, for my older sister and I growing up in the home we always knew otherwise.    Rather than write a long litany of supernatural incidents in this post, I’ll just drop one off, at least for now, that seems to defy most people’s attempts at natural explanations.

My sister and I shared a bedroom in the home.  When I was about 13, and she 15, someone gave us a tabletop facial sunlamp.  We were given appropriate instructions in its use, which included the admonishment about never ever using it without wearing the included eye goggles.  Having been raised and trained to be fearfully obedient children, such admonishments were always observed unquestioningly by us both.  But we had a problem with this sunlamp.  Often, when we’d both leave the room unoccupied, with the door closed after us as was the rule in the home, when we’d return, whichever one of us was the first to open the door would be greeted by the sunlamp switching itself on as the door opened.  Whichever one of us it happened to be would quickly close the door and find the other sister.  Because of the stern warnings about not looking at the sunlamp unless one was wearing eye protection, we were both afraid to go in the room to turn off the sunlamp.  Eventually one of us would summon the courage to close our eyes and go in the room to shut the lamp off by following the verbal directions of the other sister standing guard at the door. 

Of course it might be explained that there was some faulty electrical wiring somewhere in the home that caused the sunlamp to sometimes switch on when the door to the room was opened.  As improbable as that sounds to me, I concede it’s at least possible.  But the final incident with the sunlamp will not be so easily explained.  Eventually my sister and I became too apprehensive about opening that damn door and seeing that stupid sunlamp turn itself on.  After discussing our shared agitation, we decided to unplug the sunlamp and put it on the high shelf inside our shared bedroom closet, above the clothes pole, never to be used again.  Of course, there was a rule about the closet door always remaining closed too.   Problem solved, we believed.   But the sunlamp hadn’t finished its business, whatever that may have been.  One day when I went to the closet to get a sweater, as I opened the closet door the sunlamp, sitting unplugged on the high shelf with no electrical source, turned itself on and stayed on.  I quickly closed the door and went to find my sister so we could decide together what to do about this.  When we returned together to the room, we could see the spectral ultraviolet light emitted by the sunlamp still shining under the crack at the bottom of the closet door.  My sister, who had been reluctant to believe what I’d told her, opened the door and saw for herself that the sunlamp was indeed sitting on the shelf and shining its light for all to see.  As we both stood for perhaps only a minute, though it seemed much longer, looking at each other with some measure of terror, the sunlamp slowly dimmed and extinguished.  That was the day my sister and I found a screwdriver, disassembled the terrible thing, dug a hole in the back yard and buried its hateful remains.   

If anyone wants to take a stab at an explanation other than supernatural for this, I certainly won’t object, though I will know otherwise.  As a final note of possible interest, about six years after the last member of my family moved from the haunted home, the home burned to the ground.  The fire inspectors found no cause or explanation for the fire, which seemed to originate in the bedroom that my sister and I had once shared.  There’s nothing left of the home now, but I wouldn’t get near the ground upon which it once stood even if you paid me. 

b_dubb

lonevoice re: sun lamp ... my best guess would be the device had a capacitor within it that could hold a charge. perhaps a battery.  but that seems unlikely.

is it possible that someone dosed your My Little Pony coloring book with LSD? where's the haunted sun lamp now?

Sardondi

Quote from: b_dubb on August 12, 2013, 08:13:29 AM
lonevoice re: sun lamp ... my best guess would be the device had a capacitor within it that could hold a charge. perhaps a battery.  but that seems unlikely.

is it possible that someone dosed your My Little Pony coloring book with LSD? where's the haunted sun lamp now?
Quote from: lonevoice on August 11, 2013, 08:24:22 PM...That was the day my sister and I found a screwdriver, disassembled the terrible thing, dug a hole in the back yard and buried its hateful remains....

lonevoice

Quote from: b_dubb on August 12, 2013, 08:13:29 AM

That's a fair guess, b_dubb, and I appreciate your comments.  I can only say that the sunlamp was vintage, and, as you say, unlikely to have a battery.  When used as it was intended, it didn't operate unless it was plugged in and the user engaged the power switch.   I thank sardoni for clarifying what became of the sunlamp.  I wish I could tell you that when we disassembled it there was no evidence of a capacitor or battery, but we weren't sufficiently knowledgeable to make that sort of determination.

As for drug-laced My Little Pony coloring books, when you grew up in a house like mine you put away childish things long before any of these incidents occurred.       

There's something really scary about haunted items, particularly stuff that goes on or off by itself. Much as I'd like to believe that there was a broken capacitor in the sun lamp, that story still sent shivers down my spine because of the creepiness factor. I think you did the only sensible t hing, taking it apart and burying it, even if just to make you feel better.

When my son was a baby, someone gave him one of those stuffed toys with an electronic thingie in it that you push and it would play a song. Damned if it didn't go off routinely in the middle of the night when everyone was asleep. Now maybe it was one of the cats playing around, but I put it in the china closet and it still went off, so I threw it away. I'm sure it had a faulty electronic component, but it creeped me out so much that it went into the garbage. And somewhere, in a landfill buried under tons of trash, I'll bet it's still playing 'Lullaby'.

WhosURmama

Quote from: 11angeleyes11 on September 10, 2010, 10:04:29 PM
Almost ten years ago my sister passed away at nite in a car wreck.  My mother and stepfather lived many states away and did not receive the news until the next morning.  My mother related that that evening her smoke alarm was tweeking in a strange pattern.  It was almost simultaneous with the time of my sister's passing after we discussed it.  The batteries were not low, nor was there smoke or a fire.  It only happened that one time and did not happen again for the time of them living there which was a few years.  She feels that it was my sister's spirit communicating through that frequency to let her know that her spirit was leaving the earth. 

Well almost two weeks ago, it happened to me, bu this was a pet of mine.  One of my manx cats, Charleston Bigeo, was ill, and I had him isolated so that he could be doctored and not near the other cats.  In the middle of the nite, actually while I was working on the computer and listening to Coast as I sometimes do, my fire alarm started chirping.   Now, I know that they do this when the battery was low, but I replaced the battery, and still it chirped.  Then, the one in the next room did, too.  There was no smoke or fire danger.  It stopped chirping on its own a few times and then stopped.  Before, I went to bed, I checked on Biggs, and he had passed away to cat heaven.  His spirit let me know, since I was not in the room with him, that he was departing. He let me know through that frequency. 
A couple of comments first those are amazing stories and they really touched my heart and I was also wondering if you'd ever tried calling the stories into Art Bell and I apologize now because I can't reread as I'm posting I didn't even check the date and I realize these things could've occurred after he was off air but I think they are Amazing examples of what could be supernatural.

My mother passed and like most people I have talked to, zero dreams of loved ones who have left this plane.  However after one full year and I'm not kidding to the exact day of the year I dreamt about my mother who had passed.  I'm not gonna go into detail unless someone wanted to know more about this and p.m.ed.  So it was an incredible dream and I'm a very skeptical person.  I was amazed that I was able to feel there was a message.  I will tell you this, that in the dream I would close my eyes and then look to my right and my mother would be there with me and that's the nutshell version.  The thing is I actually use this technique now and get much comfort from it.

WhosURmama

P.S still don't believe in anything but I'm open to everything :)

b_dubb

Quote from: lonevoice on August 13, 2013, 12:46:36 PM
That's a fair guess, b_dubb, and I appreciate your comments.  I can only say that the sunlamp was vintage, and, as you say, unlikely to have a battery.  When used as it was intended, it didn't operate unless it was plugged in and the user engaged the power switch.   I thank sardoni for clarifying what became of the sunlamp.  I wish I could tell you that when we disassembled it there was no evidence of a capacitor or battery, but we weren't sufficiently knowledgeable to make that sort of determination.

As for drug-laced My Little Pony coloring books, when you grew up in a house like mine you put away childish things long before any of these incidents occurred.     
you should call in to Jim Harold's Campfire or Paranormal podcasts with that story.  i'd love to hear a retelling of that.

b_dubb

http://bit.ly/14h2CNb

man is dead for 45 minutes but then comes back to life