• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Your Supernatural Experiences

Started by MV/Liberace!, May 08, 2008, 12:36:40 AM

ziznak

The way I read it is the songwriter is saying basically that there has to be more to existence than just the chemical interactions in our head.  The song itself is about a car accident and an NDE.  I'm not sure if "the artist" that the song refers to is the songwriter or the medical staff that revives the songwriter.  It's this NDE that makes the songwriter realize that maybe he wasn't living his life the way he should and the desire to change.  I've always liked that line in the song and think that it hints at existence beyond that which is bound to this mortal coil.

Zircon

Quote from: ziznak on June 05, 2012, 08:34:19 PM
The way I read it is the songwriter is saying basically that there has to be more to existence than just the chemical interactions in our head.  The song itself is about a car accident and an NDE.  I'm not sure if "the artist" that the song refers to is the songwriter or the medical staff that revives the songwriter.  It's this NDE that makes the songwriter realize that maybe he wasn't living his life the way he should and the desire to change.  I've always liked that line in the song and think that it hints at existence beyond that which is bound to this mortal coil.
A song like that is way too unusual not to be a personal testament. Can't think of too many other recording types who have something legitimately serious and dark. The Armenian group, Depeche Mode, comes to mind talking about the Armenian Genocide at the hand of our wonderful Muslim allies, the Turks back during WWI under the Ottomans.

Whoa is Onan back on the boards again?

Welcome back man. You were missed!

Zircon

Has anyone in this forum had a Near Death Experience? Do you know of a person who has had one and discussed their experience with you?

ziznak

I've narrowly escaped death on quite a few occasions but have never actually "died" and then came back.

CoastCanuck

Quote from: Zircon on July 14, 2012, 06:33:51 AM
Has anyone in this forum had a Near Death Experience? Do you know of a person who has had one and discussed their experience with you?
A relative of mine almost died during childbirth - she shared that she was outside of her body, above the operating table looking down as they were trying to resuscitate her.

A guest on the Thursday, July 12 Alex Jones show (Colonel Craig Roberts) gave a detailed description of his experience when he flatlined back in the late 1990s while dying of cancer.  He was flatlined long enough that they were going to disconnect him.  It was interesting hearing what he experienced.  From what I can remember, he felt he was in a cool room, in perfect health.  He was being communicated to, he believes by his guardian angel.  He mentioned a pit in front of him he wanted to avoid and to his right a good place.  But, the voice said to go back and fight.  It's in the 2nd hour of Thursday's show for anyone interested.

DAE

When I was a kid I had two weird things happen... an object flew across the room and hit me, and months later I saw the ghost of one of our cats walking down our basement stairs.  I never mentioned it to anybody until I was in my 30s and told my older sister about it.  She shocked me when she said that she too had that same object fly across the room at her when she was  13, and our other dead cat walked into her room and jumped on her bed.  I thought our comparative stories were even more weird than the events themselves.

ShayP

I saw a ghost when I was a kid.  There is no doubt about what I saw.  It wasn't a dream or me falling into a sleep state.  I will try to paint a picture for you all.

I was 9 years old.  At the time my Mother, Grandmother, and myself lived in a small row house in Pittsburgh.  As a child I was a restless sleeper and would hop from bed to bed, or even the couch.  I, for some reason, couldn't just stay in my own room.  There were three bedrooms upstairs and all were adjacent to each other with the doorways all facing each other. So if you stood in my room you could see into the room at the front of the house.  The rooms were small.  Mine was in the back of the house, my Grandmother's in the middle, and my Mom's in the front.  My Mom was away with the Army at the time of the incident.  My Grandmother was sleeping soundly in her room.  She snored loudly.  That fact is relevent to this story.  I woke up shortly after midnight and couldn't fall to sleep.  My Grandmother made a point to tell me to stay in my bed.  Well, I didn't.  I snuck through her room and entered my Mom's.  We always had little nightlights in the house so nearly every room had some dim light.  When I entered my Mom's room I climbed onto the bed and turned the lamp on the low setting because the nightlight was too dim.  I did this because I wanted to play with my Matchbox cars.  I was careful not to disturb the bedspread because I knew if I did I would get scolded for not staying in my room through the night.  I had two Matchbox cars with me.  One was a purple dunebuggy with yellow specks, and the other was a emergency vehicle.  I was zooming them around the bed periodically looking towards the doorway and listening for my Grandmother in case she stopped snoring. If she did, I would've cut out the light and waited to sneak back in my room.

I may have been in the room for just 10 minutes or so.  I glanced by the doorway and was startled by what I thought was my Grandmother standing there.  I immediately swung my legs over the bed to put my slippers on.  While doing so, with my head down (because I knew I was busted!) I said "I'm sorry Nana, I'll go to my room."  I started towards the doorway and I felt really weird.  I realized quickly that this wasn't my Grandmother because I could hear her snoring still!  I froze and screamed "Nana...Nana!!!"  I heard her stop snoring and grumble "WHAT!?"  At that moment I was standing in front looking through this ghost.  It was like looking through fog.  I also realized that 'who' I saw was my Grandmother's sister (my Great-Aunt) who died the year before.  I freaked out, closed my eyes, and ran through 'it' and jumped in my Grandmothers bed. 

She comforted me and didn't doubt me because she was not only superstitious but also religious.  She essentially told me everything was okay, etc.  I never forgot that incident and it has stuck with me fresh in my mind.  I never gave it much thought growing up, but never forgot it either.  That was 32 years ago.

true story.

analog kid

I grew up in a New Age household, with seances, etc., going on since I was a kid. My mom obsessed over a Ouija board most of my life and was a "channeler" of a male Irish spirit. All that being said, I've never experienced anything legitimately paranormal or supernatural.

Sardondi

Quote from: analog kid on August 08, 2012, 12:10:56 PM
I grew up in a New Age household, with seances, etc., going on since I was a kid. My mom obsessed over a Ouija board most of my life and was a "channeler" of a male Irish spirit. All that being said, I've never experienced anything legitimately paranormal or supernatural.

With all due respect, I think growing up in such a household qualifies as "legitimately paranormal or supernatural."

analog kid

Quote from: Sardondi on August 12, 2012, 03:17:49 AM
With all due respect, I think growing up in such a household qualifies as "legitimately paranormal or supernatural."

Have you ever seen a "channeler" that you thought was legitimate?

Sardondi

Quote from: analog kid on August 12, 2012, 08:25:41 AM
Have you ever seen a "channeler" that you thought was legitimate?

Uh, no. But IMO the situation you describe certainly qualifies for the literal definition of "paranormal". Yes, the standard use of the word connotes seances, channelers, ectoplasm etc. But more broadly the word "paranormal" literally means "outside of normal" and doesn't necessarily speak to New Age, UFO, cryptozoology or spiritualist topics. Such a house as that of your childhood, if you'll forgive me, was definitely "outside of normal" and thus, quite literally, "paranormal". *Badda bump!*

analog kid

Okay, so it's semantics. Strike out the word paranormal, and leave supernatural.

Zircon

DAE, I've always wondered about what happens to other animals when they die. You know they sense their own mortality as I've been with family pets on three different occasions during their last hours before death. In each instance we showed love for one another even if just through eye contact their purring. I do believe there is a place where all of us go and this includes them. It would appear your cat is happy and content. A very good accounting and it ought to give you much hope there is something after this.

ShayP, your telling of this incident is masterful. I believe every word you said. Your grandmother obviously understood as she has probably experienced this same vision. Since this happened so long ago (32 years) have you further experiences involving your (presumed) now deceased grandmother?

Ziznak, I've had a few narrow escapes from what could have resulted in my death as well. Can you mention some of the experiences you've been through and what kind of altered "observational" state you may have been in as they unfolded. I've noticed that when one's own mortality is being threatened one has kind of a phase shift away from themselves during the event.

Analog, you use the term "legitimately" and in so doing kind of gives me the felling you regard that stuff as a bunch of bullshit? I may be misinterpreting your comment - sorry if I insulted anyone. Brings back an interesting event in my life back in 1973 or early 1974. Was at a friend's house on the day Lon Chaney Jr. died. We tried to channel him using a Ouija board. Supposedly we did and I had one of the most unusual cool, numbing and tingling sensations go up my spine when we asked him to verify his presence. Perhaps I subconsciously talked myself into a physical response due to an anticipation but it happened.

Sardondi, the unfortunate thing is that there are a lot of bullshit artists who are into this channeling and spirituality stuff. There may very well be truth to the subject matter but it is cluttered with people taking advantage of other people.

Zircon

Analog, nice beard, have you become a Jihadist?

ShayP

Quote from: Zircon on August 12, 2012, 09:44:54 PM
ShayP, your telling of this incident is masterful. I believe every word you said. Your grandmother obviously understood as she has probably experienced this same vision. Since this happened so long ago (32 years) have you further experiences involving your (presumed) now deceased grandmother?

Thank you Zircon for the compliment on my story telling.  I enjoy trying to have someone visualize the scene and, sort of, experience what I saw, etc.  Almost as if the reader is narrating it themselves.  Anyway.....

As I mentioned, my Grandmother was superstitious and religious.  I think she used her faith to shield any fear or doubts and as a method of reassurance.  She did have experiences.  As far as her seeing her deceased sister, I don't recall her ever seeing the 'ghost.'  However, My Mother did sometime after my experience.  She too thought it was my Grandmother playing a trick, but that was not the case.  My Grandmother was down stairs on the other side of the house at the time. 

One of my Grandmother's recurring experiences was a shadow image of a man wearing a hat standing at the foot of her bed.  Whenever this happened she would be very upset.  I rarely saw my Grandmother upset...other than when she was pissed at me...but she would be very shaken emotionally everytime she was awoken to this figure, and didn't like rehashing the incident.

I never had an experience 'seeing' my Grandmother after she passed away.  She was in my dreams at times though.  I can't deduce or interpret any kind of message from her in those dreams.  I got the feeling she was trying to get my attention or make me realize something.  I dunno.  It was weird.  I do not recall her being in my recent dreams.  By recent, I would say quite a few years now.

Another strange coincidence occurred to me a few weeks ago, and it holds special significance particularly in light of previous events that I've posted about.

One of the first posts I made when I joined this forum was about finding a photo of my Mother mixed in with a set of returned tax forms that my Father and I filled out just after her passing in 2003; this post can be read here:
http://coastgab.com/index.php/topic,192.msg47936.html#msg47936
In this entry I mention that copies of this specific photo are kept in various places of significance to me. One of them hangs in my office, as previously stated, and one sits on a bookshelf at our cabin.

Last week my wife and I brought some paints out to the cabin on a whim. We decided to try our respective hands at painting that night, sitting out on the veranda. We've never done this before and neither of us paint as much as we wish we would. It was about 10 o'clock at night. The wife chose a landscape, which is her expertise. I looked around for a while, undecided, when I found the photo of Mom sitting in the frame on top of the bookshelf. Without thinking about the significance of the picture I grabbed the frame and decided I found my subject.

It's been a long time since I put brush to canvas, and it felt really good to get in some quality time with the old art supplies. Other than digital stuff I haven't really played around with physical media in a while except for some random "throw-away" pencil drawings here and there, mostly about random stuff that catches my interest in at the time. So this was a bit of a change. I let myself go and painted up a storm. It felt great.

After a while I decided it was as good as it was going to get, and the wife said I really captured my Mom's likeness well. That was the end of it. I put the supplies away and called it a night quite early for me, well before midnight. I specifically remember this because we had the radio on.

The next morning I woke up and looked at what I had done the night before. Then, suddenly, I realized what day it was when I had painted the picture. The previous night, July 28, was my Moms birthday. More surprisingly, I realized it would have been her 70th (Mom was born in 1942). Without realizing it at all, I had painted her likeness on what would have been a very significant milestone in her life if she were still alive. I did not realize the significance of the date at all at the time and did not give painting that photograph a second thought.

Again, all pure coincidence, but it's an unlikely set of circumstances which led to this specific outcome, once again tied to this photograph whose existence itself hinges on an unlikely chain of events. When I think about the number of things which had to conspire together just perfectly for this to occur I'm humbled and quite impressed.

I signed the back of the canvas in pencil to mark the day I made it, and was half considering leaving it on her grave, which is at a cemetery near the cabin. I decided to hang on to the painting after all and left a rock to mark our visit instead.

b_dubb

Quote from: Agent : Orange on August 13, 2012, 07:32:00 PM
I signed the back of the canvas in pencil to mark the day I made it, and was half considering leaving it on her grave, which is at a cemetery near the cabin. I decided to hang on to the painting after all and left a rock to mark our visit instead.
great story. sorry for your loss. i'm sure your Mom loves the painting

Eddie Coyle

This isn't supernatural in the least...but did creep me out.
         Out for a walk(I know my fault for going outside) I see a kid(now a guy) I grew up with, played ball with, went to school with...sniffed glue with :-[ . Hadn't seen him since probably 1993.

I was just about to say "hey, what's up slick?"...when it hit me that he hung himself in Feburary, 1997.

Talk about a doppelganger. I've spent the last 90 minutes in a state of detachment.

I think that glue sniffing in the fall of 1986 has caught up with me.

onan

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on August 15, 2012, 02:34:42 PM

This isn't supernatural in the least...but did creep me out.
         Out for a walk(I know my fault for going outside) I see a kid(now a guy) I grew up with, played ball with, went to school with...sniffed glue with :-[ . Hadn't seen him since probably 1993.

I was just about to say "hey, what's up slick?"...when it hit me that he hung himself in Feburary, 1997.

Talk about a doppelganger. I've spent the last 90 minutes in a state of detachment.

I think that glue sniffing in the fall of 1986 has caught up with me.

gah missed the hanged part... zombies maybe.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: onan on August 15, 2012, 03:00:48 PM
gah missed the hanged part... zombies maybe.
I wouldn't rule out zombies...but it could also be a relative of the decedent. Which would have really sucked, if I confused him with a person who has been dead 15 years. That would have been awkward. Even for me. "Sorry, I thought you were your dead brother, forget it"

analog kid

Analog, you use the term "legitimately" and in so doing kind of gives me the felling you regard that stuff as a bunch of bullshit?

Not at all. Just haven't experienced anything personally that I can't explain.

Sardondi

Holy crap. I think that situation might have turned my bowels to water right there.

As for glue sniffing, the inhalants are about as dangerous a high as there is. Heroin addicts can actually live almost a full life span if they have a regular supply with a high quality cutting agent; and never have to shoot dissolved pills or fentanyl patch goo. Meth users can pretty much return to health if they don't use heavily more than a couple ,of years at a time without cleaning up.

Longtime huffers on the other hand are the most irreversibly fucked up substance abusers I've ever seen. Huffers permanently destroy huge portions of their brain and major organs like liver and kidneys. They even damage even their bodies' very ability to repair cells and build new ones. Think about that. What they've done to their brains is the equivalent of opening up their heads and taking 6-8 heaping serving-spoonfuls of their brains and throwing them down the garbage disposal.

I remember two brothers who at 13 and 15 years old had sniffed so much gasoline and killed so much of their brains that they already were unable to walk a straight line. They had difficulty answering questions like, "Where do you live", and, "Who lives with you at your house?" It was heartbreaking. That's been almost 30 years, and I truly hope they died a long time ago - just for them to be out of what, if it wasn't already their misery, was certainly going to become it.

martinjsxx

DAE, I've always wondered about what happens to other animals when they die. You know they sense their own mortality as I've been with family pets on three different occasions during their last hours before death. In each instance we showed love for one another even if just through eye contact their purring. I do believe there is a place where all of us go and this includes them. It would appear your cat is happy and content. A very good accounting and it ought to give you much hope there is something after this.

Speaking of pets and death, I had a sort of supernatural experience when my cat died. I had my cat for 15 years and she would always jump in my arms when I came home. When she died I had her buried in a pet cemetery, and even bought a headstone. The first time I visited I was walking away and I heard someone or something walking behind me. I turned around and there was a cat in the cemetery running up to me. It didn't look anything like my cat but I don't think I ever had a strange cat come running up to me. I petted it and walked back to the grave. The cat followed me and then proceeded to rub its head against the tombstone and rolled around on the grave itself. I believe that was a message from my cat.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Sardondi on August 15, 2012, 04:39:31 PM
Holy crap. I think that situation might have turned my bowels to water right there.

As for glue sniffing, the inhalants are about as dangerous a high as there is. Heroin addicts can actually live almost a full life span if they have a regular supply with a high quality cutting agent; and never have to shoot dissolved pills or fentanyl patch goo. Meth users can pretty much return to health if they don't use heavily more than a couple ,of years at a time without cleaning up.

Longtime huffers on the other hand are the most irreversibly fucked up substance abusers I've ever seen. Huffers permanently destroy huge portions of their brain and major organs like liver and kidneys. They even damage even their bodies' very ability to repair cells and build new ones. Think about that. What they've done to their brains is the equivalent of opening up their heads and taking 6-8 heaping serving-spoonfuls of their brains and throwing them down the garbage disposal.

I remember two brothers who at 13 and 15 years old had sniffed so much gasoline and killed so much of their brains that they already were unable to walk a straight line. They had difficulty answering questions like, "Where do you live", and, "Who lives with you at your house?" It was heartbreaking. That's been almost 30 years, and I truly hope they died a long time ago - just for them to be out of what, if it wasn't already their misery, was certainly going to become it.

I'm glad to say my glue sniffing was confined to a particularly idiotic exploratory period at age 10/11 when I palled around with, as David Bowie would call, "people from bad homes". Needless to say, the glue would be replaced with other more predictable highs amongst this crowd.

I'm more than familiar with the brain dead types like the aforementioned brothers. Gas huffing wasn't big in my concrete jungle, but seemingly every other experimental form of getting high was de rigueur. Creating such a standard that parents were actually satisfied that their kid was only drinking or smoking weed at 14. But so many were lost causes by then, particularly the "dusters", who were instantly idenitifiable and prone to "falling" off the rooves of the housing projects. The lucky ones died.
       I won't even get started on the coke stroke crowd.

Sardondi

Eddie I meant to ask: is your icon of Warren Oates from Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia? Or some other 70's hard-vengeance B+-movie Oates specialized in?

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Sardondi on August 15, 2012, 09:16:44 PM
Eddie I meant to ask: is your icon of Warren Oates from Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia? Or some other 70's hard-vengeance B+-movie Oates specialized in?
You got it, "Bennie" from Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia, which actually hit theaters 38 years ago yesterday(subliminal suggestion probably leading to me picking it) to poor reviews and indifference. I discovered it as an insomniac 8 year old in April, 1984 and loved it. So my counterintuitive tendencies were precocious.

Jeebers, Eddie, if I saw something like that, I'd lose it and run shrieking into the night. wow.

I've had a few experiences that I guess could be called paranormal, but the one that really stands out happened the day after my stepfather was buried after a short illness when I was in my twenties. I was staying with my mom for a few days to keep her company, and was woken up by an early phone call. There was a lot of static on the phone, so I kept saying Hello? Hello? Who is it? I heard a male's voice through the static, he sounded very far away, and he said "Doll, doll" I got freaked out so I guess I was shouting because I woke my mother up and he said "Take care of your mother, Doll" and then the line went dead. I asked everyone if they'd called, and no, no one did.

The freakiest: my stepfather's pet name for me was "Doll".

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: UnscreenedCaller on August 15, 2012, 10:29:30 PM

I've had a few experiences that I guess could be called paranormal, but the one that really stands out happened the day after my stepfather was buried after a short illness when I was in my twenties. I was staying with my mom for a few days to keep her company, and was woken up by an early phone call. There was a lot of static on the phone, so I kept saying Hello? Hello? Who is it? I heard a male's voice through the static, he sounded very far away, and he said "Doll, doll" I got freaked out so I guess I was shouting because I woke my mother up and he said "Take care of your mother, Doll" and then the line went dead. I asked everyone if they'd called, and no, no one did.

very creepy.  thx for sharing.

Centurion40

Quote from: UnscreenedCaller on August 15, 2012, 10:29:30 PM
Jeebers, Eddie, if I saw something like that, I'd lose it and run shrieking into the night. wow.

Something similar happened to me on my 1st birthday after my dad died.  I believe that I told the story earlier in this thread, so I won't repeat the whole story.  There was no speaking, that I could hear.  But there was a hollow, distant sound on the line.  I freaked-out and hung-up after about 5 seconds (that seemed like 5 minutes).