• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Celebrity Deaths

Started by noodlehead.crucified.c2c, June 25, 2009, 05:28:29 PM

BobGrau

Leonard Nimoy was the Adam Yauch of Star Trek.

goldendeal

This show started it all for me, way before Mr Bell and Coast would hold my attention in the years to follow...thank you  Mr. Nimoy   RIP

http://youtu.be/DZCGocLDrR4

WhiteCrow

Quote from: b_dubb on February 27, 2015, 09:08:26 PM
I got a bulletin from the BBC during lunch. I pushed away from table and went back to my office and shut the door. I changed my avatars on all my social media sites to an image of Spock from TOS. Posted a couple memorable quotes and offered my own thoughts regarding his passing. And surprised myself at how misty my eyes got.

I would guess for someone who came up during the sixties and seventies who didn't go to church and wasn't part of sectarian household the character of Spock was probably the most Christ-like figure in the popular culture. If you went through your day thinking "what would Spock do?" you probably would come out okay. Maybe I'm over stating things but here in the Wasteland lots of people have no culture except what was on TV. That's less so now thanks to the Internet but once upon a time the broadcast TV was a huge influence. The idiot box. Spock (and Nimoy) did a lot to reverse that and raise the bar. Roddenberry also deserves praise here for being a visionary.

That was very touching. Thank you for enlightening me... I never really understood  that 'Spock' fulfilled the "Christ"-like" need to believe in something greater and was a moral guidepost. 

I just read this and as a baseball fan thought it was pretty cool.  A few pitchers have adapted the "Vulcan salute" to use as a grip for throwing off-speed pitches known as "Vulcan changeups." 

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2015/02/27/110638244/remembering-leonard-nimoy-and-the-vulcan-changeup

Quote from: goldendeal on February 28, 2015, 04:34:31 AM
Rest in peace Leonard. Kind of odd that this was the first thing I thought of when I heard the news.

http://youtu.be/AGF5ROpjRAU

Reported.

For those who get MeTV, it will be airing "Amok Time" as a tribute to Leonard Nimoy at 9 eastern/8 central time.  I always felt sorry for Spock in that episode, because after waiting seven years to "launch his probe," he's cheated out of his chance and has to wait another seven years.  That would be tough, especially since good Vulcans don't fap.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 28, 2015, 12:57:47 PM
Reported.

For those who get MeTV, it will be airing "Amok Time" as a tribute to Leonard Nimoy at 9 eastern/8 central time.  I always felt sorry for Spock in that episode, because after waiting seven years to "launch his probe," he's cheated out of his chance and has to wait another seven years.  That would be tough, especially since good Vulcans don't fap.

Spock was made up. It's fiction..

Sorry, is that a spoiler?

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on February 28, 2015, 01:07:49 PM

Spock was made up. It's fiction..

Sorry, is that a spoiler?

I reserve my empathy for fictional characters, because it's only wasted on real people.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 28, 2015, 01:18:04 PM
I reserve my empathy for fictional characters, because it's only wasted on real people.

Ahhh, that says so much about why things broke apart with you and Sophia Loren.

Quote from: goldendeal on February 28, 2015, 04:34:31 AM
Rest in peace Leonard. Kind of odd that this was the first thing I thought of when I heard the news.

http://youtu.be/AGF5ROpjRAU

Sure, now you show me that, after letting me waste all my money on those Peter Jackson movies.

b_dubb

Quote from: zeebo on February 28, 2015, 02:09:52 AM
First post ever on this thread, but have to pay my respects to Mr. Nimoy.  His brilliant depection of the conflicted half Human / half Vulcan Mr. Spock, was a big influence on me as a kid.  I think of his mind-meld with the Horta creature in "Devil in the Dark", his pondering of clouds in my all-time fave episode "This Side of Paradise", and to me the most memorable moment of the entire series, in "Amok Time" where he briefly broke Vulcan stoicism upon realising his friend James Kirk was alive and says "Captain" ... then "Jim!".  Just friggin awesome.

(Not to mention his great series "In Search Of" that enthralled me, and inspired me to dive into mysteries, and encounter the unknown, which I continue to this day.)  Thanks for all the memories Leonard.  Thanks a million.
Agreed

ItsOver

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 28, 2015, 01:18:04 PM
Ain't that the truth.  Tom Servo makes a great girlfriend.  ;)

ItsOver

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 28, 2015, 12:57:47 PM
Reported.

In case it hasn't already been posted, MeTV is also dedicating Sunday night, starting at 8 EST, to Mr. Nimoy.  They'll be airing a number of his different shows.

Catsmile

Cryptic Studios to Create In-game Memorial for Leonard Nimoy in Star Trek Online
                            Players visited Vulcan to pay their respects
                             02/28/2015 at 3:50pm | by Sean D Knight

..."As a tribute to the actor and his role in Star Trek, Cryptic Studios announced that it will create an in-game memorial for Mr. Spock and Leonard Nimoy in Star Trek Online.

Shortly after Nimoy’s death was announced, around a thousand players logged into the free-to-play MMO and travelled to Vulcan to pay respect to the actor and his character, Mr. Spock, which Nimoy voiced in the game. STO developer Cryptic Studios posted its own acknowledgement of Nimoy’s passing and then followed up with an announcement for plans to include an in-game memorial."...

..."To that end, the Star Trek Online team will implement a standing in-game memorial to Spock and Leonard Nimoy this Thursday March 5th with our regular weekly maintenance."...

http://www.maximumpc.com/cryptic_studios_create_-game_memorial_leonard_nimoy_star_trek_online_2015

It'll always be too soon to lose someone like Leonard Nimoy, but when a person leaves the planet as a cultural icon on a gigantic wave of love as he has, it's the mark of a life well spent.

I was lucky enough to see him on Broadway. He was an excellent stage actor, a surprise to people who saw him only as Mr. Spock. And he was kind at the stage door to well wishers. His two books, "I am Not Spock" and "I Am Spock", summed him up perfectly: a man who grew and changed in the best possible ways and always remained open to new experiences. He will be sorely missed.

MV/Liberace!

nimoy's final tweet sure worked well as a final tweet.  i wonder if that was intentional.

Danger!UFO

Astronaut gives the Vulcan salute from International Space Station as tribute to Leonard Nimoy

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/astronaut-vulcan-salute-space-tribute-nimoy-article-1.2132789

Kelt

Shatner couldn't make the funeral.

Prior commitment.

Quote from: VtaGeezer on February 28, 2015, 11:40:33 PM
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dULOjT9GYdQ

That`s awesome! This video richly personifies all I`ve read about Leonard. He was a humble, fun-loving guy, with a wicked sense of humor and never took himself seriously. Too bad there aren`t more like him. LLAP, Indeed.

ItsOver

Once in a blue moon, especially on weekends or if I'm on the road, I'll flip on an NPR station.  One quirky little game show that's fairly entertaining is "Says You!"  I was saddened to learn when I tuned in this morning, it's founder and host, Richard Sher, passed away last month.  Enjoy the great game show in the sky, Richard!

http://www.saysyou.net/

Who

Leonard Nimoy's version of Desiderta, a 1927 poem by American writer Max Ehrmann.

Spock Thoughts | Leonard Nimoy (Klara Tavakoli Goesche)

b_dubb

paladin1991

Quote from: Kelt on March 01, 2015, 10:29:36 AM

Prior commitment.
Well there it is.  William Fucking Shatner.

b_dubb

Prior commitment.
im trying not to judge but this was surprising and disappointing

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: b_dubb on March 01, 2015, 07:37:37 PM
im trying not to judge but this was surprising and disappointing

Maybe he just doesn't like funerals. Lots of people feel that way.

VtaGeezer

Prior commitment.
Shatner's being slammed big time too. It's not like Nimoy died suddenly and contingencies couldn't have been made.  He screwed the pooch on this one; the mask is off...fans are pissed.  He's going to take a big hit in earnings.

Morgus