• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

This really needs to be settled once and for all....

Started by Frys Girl, June 17, 2009, 09:37:13 PM

Quiznos or Subway?

Quiznos. Cool Name. That Pink Lemonade Machine Rules!
Subway. Jared. 12 inch or 6 inch. Neither sound bad if you've seen what I've seen.

Subway uses the highest quality processed meat, and Quiznos uses the lowest.  I don't like either.  I used to like Quiznos when it first came to Toronto, but never liked Subway.  Now, I eat at local and regional places.  Nadeau's for cold subs & Philly cheese steaks , and Sandra's for steak & cheese subs, and fried bologna subs.

Wizard444

We have two Subway franchises nearby but no Quiznos.  I patronize the Subway on occasion out of desperation of wanting a quick fix to basic hunger.  Neither appear to be culinary delights in my book.  Fried bologna sounds curious, but good. 

Quote from: Wizard444 on June 17, 2009, 10:21:31 PM
We have two Subway franchises nearby but no Quiznos.  I patronize the Subway on occasion out of desperation of wanting a quick fix to basic hunger.  Neither appear to be culinary delights in my book.  Fried bologna sounds curious, but good. 

I'm not a huge fan overall.  A lot of friends of Newfoundland descent in high school would continuously tout it's merits.  I decided to try one a little while ago when I saw it on the daily specials board.  Awesome, but I think the place, the method, and the medium of frying made the sandwich.  Other then home, (which is rare because we almost never have bologna in this house),  I wouldn't eat it anywhere else besides Sandra's.  Unless I was in Bologna (in which case it would fried mortadella) or Newfoundland.

Wizard444

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on June 17, 2009, 10:30:54 PM
I'm not a huge fan overall.  A lot of friends of Newfoundland descent in high school would continuously tout it's merits.  I decided to try one a little while ago when I saw it on the daily specials board.  Awesome, but I think the place, the method, and the medium of frying made the sandwich.  Other then home, (which is rare because we almost never have bologna in this house),  I wouldn't eat it anywhere else besides Sandra's.  Unless I was in Bologna (in which case it would fried mortadella) or Newfoundland.

Now you are talking!  I used to live a couple blocks from an Italian deli.  There were no $5 dollar subs, but who cares when the bread is fresh baked (never frozen) and the meat and cheeses did not taste or resemble petroleum byproducts. 

A good Italian bakery that makes sandwiches, sausages, veal, and Sicilian cannoli, is heavenly.

MV/Liberace!

i think the subs at quizno's are messy and too expensive.  also, phan is right: the meat is not up to par.

subway is just a disaster every way you shake it.  their employees are almost UNIVERSALLY indifferent to the fact that you have to actually put this sandwich in your mouth.  in other words, they don't care at all about how the bits are distributed on the bread, how it's cut, or what dirty knife they used to slice it all in half.  shit... sometimes they don't even SUCCEED at slicing it in half.  they just put what could be considered an indentation on the top of the bread while the knife fails to cut through completely.  i have to tear my sandwich in half.

my biggest complaint about subway is the lack of standards or consistency from store to store.  one store might give you a reasonable amount of shredded cheese, while the next just gives you a microscopic HINT of shredded cheese.  i walk out when this happens.  it makes me so mad.  one time, i ordered a pizza sub and they LITERALLY put only 6 pieces of pepperoni on this foot-long monstrosity.  i refused the sandwich and left.  the next subway in another state put 20 GOD DAMNED PIECES OF PEPPERONI!!  see what i mean?  i hate hate hate subway and wish they'd die and go to hell.

phan has the right idea patronizing local/regional sub shops.

Frys Girl

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on June 17, 2009, 10:51:42 PM
A good Italian bakery that makes sandwiches, sausages, veal, and Sicilian cannoli, is heavenly.
Pardon me but veal tastes like ass.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Frys Girl on June 17, 2009, 11:01:26 PM
Pardon me but veal tastes like ass.
now that i think about it, i don't think i've had veal.  i've had that veal parmesan shit you get frozen at the store which comes steeped in pounds of marinara sauce... and i don't recall that having been too terribly fantastic.  however, i doubt that could be considered actual veal.  i'm sure it's all processed to hell.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: danDNA on June 18, 2009, 03:50:55 AM
cucina italiano ? mio preferite.
christ things just weren't the same around here without that avatar.

Frys Girl

Like the Iran-Korea game, this is still not settled, 2-2.

Frys Girl

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on June 17, 2009, 11:00:17 PM
i think the subs at quizno's are messy and too expensive.  also, phan is right: the meat is not up to par.

subway is just a disaster every way you shake it.  their employees are almost UNIVERSALLY indifferent to the fact that you have to actually put this sandwich in your mouth.  in other words, they don't care at all about how the bits are distributed on the bread, how it's cut, or what dirty knife they used to slice it all in half.  shit... sometimes they don't even SUCCEED at slicing it in half.  they just put what could be considered an indentation on the top of the bread while the knife fails to cut through completely.  i have to tear my sandwich in half.

my biggest complaint about subway is the lack of standards or consistency from store to store.  one store might give you a reasonable amount of shredded cheese, while the next just gives you a microscopic HINT of shredded cheese.  i walk out when this happens.  it makes me so mad.  one time, i ordered a pizza sub and they LITERALLY put only 6 pieces of pepperoni on this foot-long monstrosity.  i refused the sandwich and left.  the next subway in another state put 20 GOD DAMNED PIECES OF PEPPERONI!!  see what i mean?  i hate hate hate subway and wish they'd die and go to hell.

I rather like MV's stories about being a dissatisfied customer. The story about 75 cents for a cup of water, poor quality estheticians and cosmetologists, and now this, make a nice anthology.

Quizno's is too expensive for the quality of their sandwiches, I can agree there. I mean, they're good - but they ain't that good.

Price aside...I dunno, really. I like them both actually. I guess if you put a gun to my head, though...enh, probably Subway.

However, one thing that subway should adopt that Quizno's does is to include a spear pickle with their sandwiches. I fuckin love that they do that.

Quote from: Pirate King Atomsk on June 18, 2009, 04:05:56 PM
Quizno's is too expensive for the quality of their sandwiches, I can agree there. I mean, they're good - but they ain't that good.

Price aside...I dunno, really. I like them both actually. I guess if you put a gun to my head, though...enh, probably Subway.

However, one thing that subway should adopt that Quizno's does is to include a spear pickle with their sandwiches. I fuckin love that they do that.

At the Quizno's around here, the pickles, pickled peppers, etc are in this open mini salad bar deal.  You can take as much as you want.

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on June 17, 2009, 11:00:17 PM

This is EXACTLY why this household has written off Subway.  I never loved it in the first place, but continuous disappointment in service and standards was too much.

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on June 18, 2009, 11:23:14 PM
At the Quizno's around here, the pickles, pickled peppers, etc are in this open mini salad bar deal.  You can take as much as you want.

Man, they're lucky they don't let me do that here. I'd probably be bringing bags and stealing tons of pickles. Love those crunchy lil' spears of deliciousness.

Frys Girl

Baja fresh has a giant salsa bar. I love salsa so much. I eat it like lettuce salad. I hate lettuce, by the way. It's rabbit food. A typical salad for me includes tomatoes and cucumbers and cilantro.

Quote from: Frys Girl on June 20, 2009, 09:01:04 AM
A typical salad for me includes tomatoes and cucumbers and cilantro.

Cilantro? God you're such a yank. lol.

Frys Girl

Quote from: Pirate King Atomsk on June 20, 2009, 10:18:45 AM
Cilantro? God you're such a yank. lol.
Cilantro is actually big in texas. It's used in a lot of southern food. Here people are more lettuce prone. Cilantro usually only comes up in Asian menus around here.

Quote from: Frys Girl on June 20, 2009, 10:38:48 AM
Cilantro is actually big in texas. It's used in a lot of southern food. Here people are more lettuce prone. Cilantro usually only comes up in Asian menus around here.

Hamburger hot-dog? o_o

EvB

Yeah - how did cilantro get to be "yank" ?  It's used primarily in Mexican and Asian food!