• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Spec Sheet

Started by MV/Liberace!, May 30, 2009, 11:47:14 PM

Heather Wade

Thank you MV, Curtis, & wr for your help with my card reader.  I re-seated the cable to the motherboard very carefully, banged the case with a hammer twice, punched it in the face for electrocuting me, tried my SD card again, and after 10- 15 minutes of extremely harsh language... the little green light came on & it's reading/ writing data like a champ.

eddie dean

What website(s) do you use to download safe/relyable PC troubleshooting and diagnostic programs?
In particular a memory scan and hard drive scan program.

This is for the PC I called the show about last week. Hard Locks with screen freeze in windows 7 & in the bios screen at various intervals. The CPU isn't getting overheated, as I've checked the temp before it freezes.

as you suggested,
I reseated the ram and HD sata cables,  power supply cables & inspected the caps. It hasn't helped. I plan to swap out the CPU heatsink to the one that comes with the Intel processor. I have a upgraded heatsink on now, but it is too big. It obscures the A1 ram slot and makes the slot physically unusable. I have the 2 ram sticks seated in the 2nd and 4th positions (B2 and A2) which works fine, but I'm thinking that might be the issue even thought the MB (Asus Z87-K) specs say you can run the ram in either slot as long as they're in the correct slot pairs.
Maybe a bad ram stick or power supply? It has to be a hardware issue, right?
This build is less than a year old. It's worked fine for 7 months, then suddenly the lock ups started.

wr250

Quote from: eddie dean on October 29, 2014, 08:37:40 PM
What website(s) do you use to download safe/relyable PC troubleshooting and diagnostic programs?
In particular a memory scan and hard drive scan program.

This is for the PC I called the show about last week. Hard Locks with screen freeze in windows 7 & in the bios screen at various intervals. The CPU isn't getting overheated, as I've checked the temp before it freezes.

as you suggested,
I reseated the ram and HD sata cables,  power supply cables & inspected the caps. It hasn't helped. I plan to swap out the CPU heatsink to the one that comes with the Intel processor. I have a upgraded heatsink on now, but it is too big. It obscures the A1 ram slot and makes the slot physically unusable. I have the 2 ram sticks seated in the 2nd and 4th positions (B2 and A2) which works fine, but I'm thinking that might be the issue even thought the MB (Asus Z87-K) specs say you can run the ram in either slot as long as they're in the correct slot pairs.
Maybe a bad ram stick or power supply? It has to be a hardware issue, right?
This build is less than a year old. It's worked fine for 7 months, then suddenly the lock ups started.

for memory you can use memtest86. i beleive this is on the windows 7 dvd , and/or the safe mode menu.
i would go into the bios and reset it to factory defaults,then disable all overclocking.  perhaps its trying to overclock, also check the cpu voltages if you can, if they very by more than 1% your psu is probably bad; a good psu will not vary at all.

eddie dean

Quote from: wr250 on October 29, 2014, 08:49:38 PM
for memory you can use memtest86. i beleive this is on the windows 7 dvd , and/or the safe mode menu.
i would go into the bios and reset it to factory defaults,then disable all overclocking.  perhaps its trying to overclock, also check the CPU voltages if you can, if they very by more than 1% your psu is probably bad; a good psu will not vary at all.

Changing bios to the default settings is a good idea. The bios screen is alot different on this MB, it's not setup very well. I very easily could have engaged overclocking or some other setting unintentionally.
I'll give it a try, thanks

eddie dean

Switched the PC on today to set bios to default settings and run mem test. Fail!
Now what it's doing:
It starts to power up like normal, then shuts down after no more than 2 seconds, pauses for 5 seconds while off, then it cycles back on again repeating the process. All before anything displays on the monitor, like the bios screen splash. I have to switch off the PS or unplug the power cable to stop the cycle.

Maybe a failed or faulty power supply, right???
Or my MB or CPU (Intel 3.1 ghz core i5-4440. lga-1150 socket) is fucked.

My PS is an Antec  550watt ATX 12v v2.32 (VP550F).
More than enough power!
My Asus Z87-K MB calls for minimum of 350 watt. I have no peripherals or PCI boards connected, well, except the HD, keyboard/mouse.

I ordered a new power supply, it will be here tomorrow. I hope that will fix this.

wr250

ive had more than 3 antec psu's fail . i would say your probably on the  right track
now in sold on seasonic psu's.

MV/Liberace!

I hate to break it to you guys, but it looks like The Spec Sheet is over and out.

Curtis told me today he's not going to be able to carry on doing the show because, in a nutshell, it's too difficult to fit into his schedule while trying to balance work/family life. That sucks sooooo much to hear, but I do understand the position he's in.

I probably won't attempt to carry on without him. It just wouldn't be the same show. I thought we had such great chemistry together, and I don't feel like attempting a sad imitation of that.

I guess you'll be hearing me on The GabCast pretty regularly from now on.

area51drone

Well this is sad news.  I'm happy for Curtis that he's successful enough to be busy and not to have time to do a show, but sad for everyone else.    You guys do have great chemistry.    Hopefully you guys can still do an occasional show here and there.    If not, well, thanks for the run.

aldousburbank

Dang that suks.

[attachimg=1]

Curtis!!  We barely knew ye!!

I'm being selfish.  Your family always comes first.  Good choice, mud.  :)
Doesn't mean you won't be checking in does it?

Ms. C

Quote from: wr250 on October 31, 2014, 04:54:47 AM

sigh, me too .... I guess I'll have to be the only one with the imitation fidget

good luck with everything Curtis.

wr250

Quote from: Treading Water on October 31, 2014, 04:12:52 AM
Where is the countdown clock??

they lasted longer than 6 weeks though...

MV did you make him sign a 2 yr non-compete ?

also is firefub now dead too?

b_dubb

Someone needs to start a thread where everyone speculates about when he'll come back to podcasting.

eddie dean

Good night sweet ginger.

Sucks you have to leave dude! You guys have great on air chemistry.

cweb

Quote from: wr250 on October 31, 2014, 06:41:55 AM
they lasted longer than 6 weeks though...

MV did you make him sign a 2 yr non-compete ?
haha

all the best to ye, Curtis!

The General

Bummer, but totally understood.
Best of luck, Curtis.

Heather Wade

Serious bummer.  Understand though.

jazmunda

Quote from: b_dubb on October 31, 2014, 07:26:05 AM
Someone needs to start a thread where everyone speculates about when he'll come back to podcasting.

He's going to move to South East Asia first.

His unique complexion will be exotic there.

wr250

now jaz has two shows he has killed ...

bateman

Sorry to hear that, but I get it. I'm not sure people realize how time-consuming this can be.

Quote from: eddie dean on October 30, 2014, 07:05:25 PM
Now what it's doing:
It starts to power up like normal, then shuts down after no more than 2 seconds, pauses for 5 seconds while off, then it cycles back on again repeating the process. All before anything displays on the monitor, like the bios screen splash. I have to switch off the PS or unplug the power cable to stop the cycle.

This, right here, is an indication that you are trying to draw more current than the PS can provide.  It could be due to overclocking, a bad component, a failing PS, or something else.  I'm sorry that I can't be more specific, but suggest you pursue troubleshooting in that area. 

eddie dean

Quote from: bateman on October 31, 2014, 05:42:08 PM
Sorry to hear that, but I get it. I'm not sure people realize how time-consuming this can be.

[attachimg=1]

pepsiguy

Thanks, it was my favorite podcast.
You guys have a great chemistry.
I will be listening to the replays for as
Long as they are available

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on October 31, 2014, 06:06:33 PM
This, right here, is an indication that you are trying to draw more current than the PS can provide.  It could be due to overclocking, a bad component, a failing PS, or something else.  I'm sorry that I can't be more specific, but suggest you pursue troubleshooting in that area.

This.

Most likely a dying power supply. Eddie... did you reseat the cpu and RAM?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: pepsiguy on October 31, 2014, 07:04:30 PM
Thanks, it was my favorite podcast.
You guys have a great chemistry.
I will be listening to the replays for as
Long as they are available

Thanks man.

For true fans of the show like you, I've decided to leave the mic potted up permanently from my bedroom, feeding onto the live stream 24/7. Not quite the same chemistry I had with Curtis, but occasional 2 minute bursts of chemistry will still be heard for those who stay tuned in.