• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Spec Sheet

Started by MV/Liberace!, May 30, 2009, 11:47:14 PM

wr250

chat room text oct 21 2014
[attachimg=1]

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: area51drone on October 21, 2014, 08:15:37 PM
Thanks for the show.  Glad I could listen to at least a little bit of it live, and sorry I had to leave early but diaper duty was calling.

what kind of listener are you, stepping away to care for your offspring?

wr250

Workers paid $1.21 an hour to install Fremont tech company's computers
FREMONT -- Electronics for Imaging paid several employees from India as little as $1.21 an hour to help install computer systems at the company's Fremont headquarters, federal labor officials said Wednesday.

"We are not going to tolerate this kind of behavior from employers," said Susana Blanco, district director of the U.S. Labor Department's wage and hour division in San Francisco.

The incident is a reminder that even amid a labor market that has boomed in recent years in Silicon Valley and other parts of the Bay Area, income inequality and payments of relatively low wages can still be a problem for workers in the region. The workers were paid in Indian rupees.

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_26778017/tech-company-paid-employees-from-india-little-1

3OctaveFart

MV, fan of the show here. I listen a lot at work. You guys do a great job.

Question- and forgive me if this has been answered- but what is the wack music that opens the 'cast? I love it!

b_dubb

"Mini Van Highway " from Tim & Eric Awesome Show Great Job

area51drone

I had no idea there was a video for it.  That's awesome.   It's clever really, considering it comes from some guys in their late 40's or early 50's...

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: area51drone on October 24, 2014, 03:53:58 PM
I had no idea there was a video for it.  That's awesome.   It's clever really, considering it comes from some guys in their late 40's or early 50's...

it actually comes from tim and eric, both of whom are 38.  i'm not sure the guys in the video are really playing the song, actually.  a couple of them have appeared in other tim and eric bits, so i suspect they're just actors.

wr250

How Verizon’s Advertising Header Works
Over the past couple of days, there’s been an outpouring of concern about Verizon’s advertising practices. Verizon Wireless is injecting a unique identifier into web requests, as data transits the network. On my phone, for example, here’s the extra HTTP header.1

X-UIDH: OTgxNTk2NDk0ADJVquRu5NS5+rSbBANlrp+13QL7CXLGsFHpMi4LsUHw

After poring over Verizon’s related patents and marketing materials, here’s my rough understanding of how the header works.

In short, Verizon is packaging and selling subscriber information, acting as a data broker on real-time advertising exchanges. Questionable. By default, the information appears to consist of demographic and geographic segments.2 If a user has opted into “Verizon Selects,” then Verizon also shares behavioral profiles built by deep packet inspection.

http://webpolicy.org/2014/10/24/how-verizons-advertising-header-works/

wr250

Researcher Finds Tor Exit Node Adding Malware to Binaries
A security researcher has identified a Tor exit node that was actively patching binaries users download, adding malware to the files dynamically. The discovery, experts say, highlights the danger of trusting files downloaded from unknown sources and the potential for attackers to abuse the trust users have in Tor and similar services.

Josh Pitts of Leviathan Security Group ran across the misbehaving Tor exit node while performing some research on download servers that might be patching binaries during download through a man-in-the middle attack. Downloading any kind of file from the Internet is a dodgy proposition these days, and many users know that if they’re downloading files from some random torrent site in Syria or The Marshall Islands, they are rolling the dice. Malware runs rampant on these kinds of sites.

But the scenario that worries security experts much more involves an attacker being able to control the download mechanism for security updates, say for Windows or OS X. If an attacker can insert malware into this channel, he could cause serious damage to a broad population of users, as those update channels are trusted implicitly by the users’ and their machines. Legitimate software vendors typically will sign their binaries and modified ones will cause verification errors. What Pitts found during his research is that an attacker with a MITM position can actively patch binariesâ€"if not security updatesâ€"with his own code.

http://threatpost.com/researcher-finds-tor-exit-node-adding-malware-to-binaries/109008

area51drone

Quote from: MV on October 24, 2014, 04:04:31 PM
it actually comes from tim and eric, both of whom are 38.  i'm not sure the guys in the video are really playing the song, actually.  a couple of them have appeared in other tim and eric bits, so i suspect they're just actors.

Even better for pulling one on me.  I just assumed Tim and Eric were a couple of guys in the video.    Anyway, well done to them.

eddie dean

Quote from: MV on October 24, 2014, 04:04:31 PM

Great interview with tim and eric. 
WTF with Marc Maron Podcast Episode 536   Tim and…: http://youtu.be/b5hFnTMCDlQ

wr250

The Italian Supreme Court (Corte di Cassazione) issued a judgment1 that bans the "Microsoft tax," a commercial practice that discourages users from converting their PCs to GNU/Linux or other free operating systems by forcing them to pay for a Windows license with their PCs. PC producers in Italy now cannot refuse to refund the price of the license to purchasers that will not run Windows.

The ruling definitively concludes the case filed in 2005 against a hardware producer by Marco Pieraccioli,2 with the support of the Consumer Association ADUC,3 and affirms Marco Pieraccioli's right to a refund for the price of the Microsoft Windows license for the computer he purchased.
https://fsf.org/blogs/community/a-victory-for-free-software-over-the-microsoft-tax

area51drone

This is pretty interesting..

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/10/26/cvs-follows-rite-aid-shuts-off-apple-pay/17959213/

Not so much that they're dropping Apple, but more interesting how you'll be using your cellphone to pay for stuff in the future.

wr250

EU Court Rules Embedding YouTube Videos Is Not Copyright Infringement

The Court of Justice of the European Union handed down a landmark verdict this week. The Court ruled that embedding copyrighted videos is not copyright infringement, even if the source video was uploaded without permission.

http://torrentfreak.com/embedding-copyright-infringement-eu-court-rules-141025/

https://www.scribd.com/doc/244360017/EuGH-C-348-13-Framing (in german)

Quote from: wr250 on October 27, 2014, 05:39:25 AM
EU Court Rules Embedding YouTube Videos Is Not Copyright Infringement...

Their ruling does not apply to the US though.  Has it been litigated here, or has a concern been voiced by any interested parties?

wr250

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 27, 2014, 05:53:52 AM
Their ruling does not apply to the US though.  Has it been litigated here, or has a concern been voiced by any interested parties?

i know it does not apply to the US , only the EU. i dont think this issue has been litigated in the US, although im not sure the US courts will follow the EU's lead.

WildCard

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 27, 2014, 05:53:52 AM
Premrat(?) fined MV because somebody posted a C2C youtube here.
-Spec Sheet

wr250

Quote from: WildCard on October 27, 2014, 06:30:05 AM
Premrat(?) fined MV because somebody posted a C2C youtube here.
-Spec Sheet

no giam tv (tis bee-und bleef) sent a takedown order to mv's domain registrar , who then charged MV a $50 fee . this was after the video was taken off bellgab. 

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: wr250 on October 27, 2014, 06:41:34 AM
no giam tv (tis bee-und bleef) sent a takedown order to mv's domain registrar , who then charged MV a $50 fee . this was after the video was taken off bellgab.

and it was a legitimately embedded youtube video.  gaiamTV sucks taint.

bateman

That doesn't even make any sense. A video that they themselves uploaded to a public video sharing site.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: bateman on October 27, 2014, 04:53:01 PM
That doesn't even make any sense. A video that they themselves uploaded to a public video sharing site.

and the youtube terms of service say you agree to allow the viewing of your video within the confines of the functionality of the service.  embedding is certainly within the confines of the service, unless you, as the uploader, choose to disable embedding, which ginghamTV did not.

Roswells, Art

Good show,
I can't figure out how to get to the chat room.  I tried radiotrainwreck.com with no success. 

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Roswells, Art on October 27, 2014, 08:09:36 PM
Good show,
I can't figure out how to get to the chat room.  I tried radiotrainwreck.com with no success.

UFOShip.com/chat

wr250

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: wr250 on October 28, 2014, 06:01:32 PM
spec sheet tonight?

I'm sick. Forgot to say there's no show tonight.

wr250

chatroom text for the 10-28 show that wasnt

[attach=1]

WildCard

Quote from: MV on October 28, 2014, 07:23:12 PM
I'm sick. Forgot to say there's no show tonight.
That may be my fault.
I asked goory to put your name on the prayer list.
Sorry about that. Feel better.