• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Spec Sheet

Started by MV/Liberace!, May 30, 2009, 11:47:14 PM

cweb

Quote from: wr250 on April 10, 2014, 07:58:49 AM
Quote from: jazmunda on April 10, 2014, 02:46:25 AM
MV or Curtis, I think I may have a tech issue to call in with but I'm not sure how familiar you are with my issue.

Our cable provider has their own proprietary set top box. You can record and store your shows on there. My dad has almost filled his quota of space on the hard drive and doesn't have much more room to record more crap on there. In the past the only way you can get the data off there was to hook it up to a VCR and play the show and record it onto VHS. My parents no longer have an antiquated VHS so in this digital age what is the best way for me to do the "record on to VHS" equivalent? I'm happy to buy hardware to achieve this.

If you have expertise or knowledge in this area and want a live tech call I'm happy to call in.
assuming it has cable out (std type f connector) you could buy a card with tv in and record to pc. otherwise pull the drive and put it in a external enclosure and copy off the data.

Another option would be a DVD recorder, though the PC card route is superior in every way and is totally what I would do if I couldn't "borrow" the external and hook it into an enclosure.

Separate query: any "temporary" hard drive interfaces you guys like? Basically for stuff like this: where you need to make an internal drive into an external, but only for the duration of a file transfer. I've been putting stuff into my cheapo enclosure and taking it back out, but I'm getting lazy.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: rca on April 11, 2014, 12:54:46 AM
I'm debating between some android phones. I may call in tomorrow and ask for advice from a long time lurker.

please do.

MV/Liberace!

The Spec Sheet airs live tonight at 8PM Eastern, 5PM Pacific.  Visit UFOShip.com to listen live.  Call the show at 573-837-4948.

wr250

good show i enjoyed it.

jazmunda

Sorry I missed it. I'll catch the re-run when it gets to syndication.

saxgod

I woke up sick yesterday.  I'm sorry. Still sick though if anyone wants my stuffed up nose and fever headache lmao.

MV/Liberace!

Latest episode is now posted here.

Tarbaby

Yes, good to hear the dynamic duo once again!

MV, I can't believe how much detailed information is inside Mudkings head. Is it true he has a cranium twice the size of the average man?

b_dubb

Quote from: Tarbaby on April 13, 2014, 01:51:53 PM
Yes, good to hear the dynamic duo once again!

MV, I can't believe how much detailed information is inside Mudkings head. Is it true he has a cranium twice the size of the average man?
Yes but only because of his conjoined twin

wr250

Quote from: b_dubb on April 13, 2014, 06:01:47 PM
Yes but only because of his conjoined twin

so he has a face on the back of his head?

b_dubb

Quote from: wr250 on April 13, 2014, 06:13:40 PM
so he has a face on the back of his head?
I've said too much

saxgod

Hey I haven't listened yet. Have you guys seen these yet?  The first one is the NYT talking about Obama allowing the NSA to exploit holes like Heartbleed and the second link is the confirmation that the NSA was using Heartbleed since it came into existence I guess ugh.

http://gizmodo.com/nyt-obama-lets-the-nsa-exploit-some-internet-flaws-1562911670

http://gizmodo.com/nsa-used-heartbleed-to-spy-on-people-for-years-1562307207

Sorry I missed this show - will definitely catch the podcast. We're moving to Texas, yes Texas! Austin area. We've absolutely had enough of California. I'm outta here....

saxgod

Welcome to Texas. I live in the DFW area.

MV/Liberace!

Texas sounds great.

Catsmile

Yep, Axl got the diabeetus.

EDIT to add:
The podcast sounded amazing at 320Kb, good show too.
The recent show weighing in at just shy of 252 MB might strain some mobile users data caps?
Maybe think of offering a "Low rez." version of 128Kb along side the 320Kb, in the RSS feed for downloading the podcast with small data caps.
Just an idea, food for thought.
Doesn't matter to me download the show at home here.

EDIT to add:
Looking at the RSS feed site http://ufoship.com/?feed=podcast  gives the current show size as (MPEG Layer 3 Audio File, 192 MB).
Winamp, Windows7, and Firefox download manager, shows the file size as 251 MB... hummm, dunno.

heater

MV/Liberace!

The 320Kbps was a mistake. I normally encode it at 128Kbps, but by the time I realized what I'd done, I thought, "aw, fuck it."

wr250

Quote from: MV on April 15, 2014, 12:50:01 AM
The 320Kbps was a mistake. I normally encode it at 128Kbps, but by the time I realized what I'd done, I thought, "aw, fuck it."

lame -b 128 show.mp3

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: wr250 on April 15, 2014, 06:31:55 AM
lame -b 128 show.mp3

i'm aware of how to select the bitrate of the mp3 i'd like to encode.

MV/Liberace!

The Spec Sheet will air live today at 8PM Eastern, 5PM Pacific.  Listen live or download the show at UFOShip.com.  Call the show at 573-837-4948.

wr250

Quote from: MV on April 18, 2014, 10:57:36 AM
The Spec Sheet will air live today at 8PM Eastern, 5PM Pacific.  Listen live or download the show at UFOShip.com.  Call the show at 573-837-4948.

sweet

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: wr250 on April 18, 2014, 11:10:57 AM

sweet

you're always dropping nuggets in the chat.  you should call.

wr250

Quote from: MV on April 18, 2014, 11:12:05 AM
you're always dropping nuggets in the chat.  you should call.

i like dropping nuggets. esp in chat.

The General

Cutting edge tech advice from MV and Curtis...
Whistle loudly into your phone to clear the audio.
The person on the other end will thank you.

Tarbaby

General :-)

WR250, it was good to hear your voice when you called in.

Good show, good energy. I was able to get into chat tonight for the first time on my iPad but I wasn't able to post, just listen and read. And when I say "read" I mean voiceover. And Vlad called in,I remember him from the archives. Nooropathy's callin was good too.

MV/Liberace!

The latest episode is now available here.