• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ian Punnett

Started by sillydog, April 06, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

What do you listen to when you can't take C2C anymore?

Nothing
Mainstream talk radio
Progressive talk radio
Music
TV
Podcasts
Ian just confirmed John B. Wells will be his once a month replacement.

fotd

He said the full title of his book.  I can't recall, but did he do that before?

Quote from: fotd on July 14, 2013, 11:23:08 PM

Yes, he has used the full title on his Sunday show.  It's only when he talked with Noory that they had to find an alternative word.

Usagi

Quote from: fotd on July 14, 2013, 11:23:08 PM

GOOD.  That inane "ban" on Ian's book title is a key example of neo-C2C versus Art's show.  A great many of the dumbass things that Jorch says or does can be attributed to his corporatey-ness or his own inability to think on his feet.  The "ban" was just genuinely asinine.  And disrespectful to Ian to boot.  If the fucking deacon doesn't find it offensive... sheesh...

Glad Ian got out of there.

fotd

Thanks for clearing that up.  My memory has been atrocious lately.

I'm really going to miss Ian.  He's been one of my favorite hosts for many years. 

11angeleyes11

Ian, in all of your innate curiosity, if you read through this thread, I will miss the hours of entertainment and knowledge that you brought to the show.  I enjoyed your humor and I listened to your spin-off show.  I remember hearing you for the first time when you filled in for Art, I believe, you were working on your Masters, and thought who is this college kid filling in on Coast.  Well, you are going to get that next degree.  Best wishes and thanks for the entertainment!!!!

Ian just played the Simon and Simon theme song as bumper music (are these all tv theme songs he is playing?).

Morgus

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on July 14, 2013, 11:27:17 PM
Yes, he has used the full title on his Sunday show.  It's only when he talked with Noory that they had to find an alternative word.
good for Ian, whats Noory going to do now anyway, fire him for using his non-G rated book title on the air?  8)

s1alker

When Ian is hosting it feels more like any run-of-the-mill talk radio show than C2C. Less of the paranormal and crazy topics, and more of the conventional topics one can hear on any other show.

Quote from: Morgus on July 15, 2013, 12:50:13 AM
good for Ian, whats Noory going to do now anyway, fire him for using his non-G rated book title on the air?  8)

Well now I'm starting to 2nd guess myself.  I'm sure I've heard him say it on air before though.

The three highlights from last night..
1) Ian Punnett thanking Art Bell in the beginning (seemed like he was doing it against someone's rules of mentioning that name) and thanking Lisa Lyons at the end..

2) Telling a rather rough sounding John B Wells that he doesn't always take the same viewpoint on issues

3) The final five minutes, some of the classiest moments on Coast in years, as the Grove Armada played Ian out with the Hands of Time..

One more point I thought it would be of interest to mention.. Wells told Punnett he hoped he'd come back and do the New Years show. Would Wells really have the right to invite him back to do that show without Ship Captain's Noory's approval? Perhaps Wells knows by then he will be pushing Snores overboard..

Juan

I doubt if either Wells or sNoory would have the authority to ask Ian back.  That sounds like a suit decision to me, even above Lisa, although the three of them might initiate it.

slipstream

Quote from: HorrorReporter on July 15, 2013, 07:16:21 AM
One more point I thought it would be of interest to mention.. Wells told Punnett he hoped he'd come back and do the New Years show. Would Wells really have the right to invite him back to do that show without Ship Captain's Noory's approval? Perhaps Wells knows by then he will be pushing Snores overboard..

Ian has regularly done a New Years show, because Noornon usually takes some time off around then.

Quote from: slipstream on July 15, 2013, 07:43:43 AM

Ian has regularly done a New Years show, because Noornon usually takes some time off around then.

Yes he has.. as he handled he had to pick up with Art's 'fallen mantle' ..
But still pretty gutsy of Darth Wells to get the say..

I loved the show last night. I`m going to really miss Ian. He`s damn good people, and incredibly intelligent. He`s also generous with his time, as he is known for acknowledging tweets and e-mails. The man always took time to answer all my questions.

I have to admit; the waterworks started when he came to the end of the show.

Ian, if you`re reading this....you will be missed!

Thanks for all the fun Ian. I think I will always remember you for the Stephen King killed John Lennon callers. But if not that, maybe for "When Monsters Roamed the Earth" or "Pirates/Pirates of the Barbary Coast".
Thank you for restating the original aims of C2C-investigating things from a new angle-because C2C has really lost that feature that it used to do so well.

I liked the last guest Scooby-Doo writer/small-time prowrestler-a return to quirky characters would be good for C2C.

Also the guests before-that suggested many of the things written about Jesus were actually about John the Baptist-was a bombshell.

NowhereInTime

It was a very lively and fun show for a goodbye affair.  I hope Wells takes this opportunity to expand his guest list and maybe take some of Ian's topics on for future shows.
And, yes, at 5 o'clock in the morning, when he added "...and so do I" I sniffed and wiped a tear.  I took Ian for granted figuring, he's a young guy and will do this show for years, never considering that a medical condition would physicaly prevent him from this job. 
I hope he does the occasional show; twitter feed just isn't the same.  Success, Ian!

sampson2625

Quote from: FightTheFuture on July 15, 2013, 08:06:44 AM
I loved the show last night. I`m going to really miss Ian. He`s damn good people, and incredibly intelligent. He`s also generous with his time, as he is known for acknowledging tweets and e-mails. The man always took time to answer all my questions.

I have to admit; the waterworks started when he came to the end of the show.

Ian, if you`re reading this....you will be missed!

It's pretty sad to see Ian go, he's such a great host. Hopefully we will hear him back on the radio sooner than later. It would be nice to hear him on Art Bell's new show, whenever that happens.

wenck

Quote from: HorrorReporter on July 15, 2013, 06:52:00 AM
The three highlights from last night..
1) Ian Punnett thanking Art Bell in the beginning (seemed like he was doing it against someone's rules of mentioning that name) and thanking Lisa Lyons at the end..

2) Telling a rather rough sounding John B Wells that he doesn't always take the same viewpoint on issues

3) The final five minutes, some of the classiest moments on Coast in years, as the Grove Armada played Ian out with the Hands of Time..

At the end of the Wells segment, Ian said that he was looking forward to listening to Wells when he's "driving around the desert coming up soon." Anyone know what he meant by that? Just a vacation, or maybe a visit to Art Bell?

VtaGeezer

Quote from: wenck on July 15, 2013, 09:31:58 AM
At the end of the Wells segment, Ian said that he was looking forward to listening to Wells when he's "driving around the desert coming up soon." Anyone know what he meant by that? Just a vacation, or maybe a visit to Art Bell?
Punnett's relocating to Phoenix AZ for Grad School in Broadcasting at U of AZ.

I note that he said he'll stand-in occasionally and he didn't burn his bridges.  I though Wells was patronizing and his true intent was only "claim" Punnett's slot on the air.  Knapp will be the next to go.  It was a good last show and Ian didn't get overly maudlin, but IMO he jammed too much into it. 

Eddie Coyle

A very interesting comment/dig  right before he ended his conversation with Peter Levenda.

Levenda mentioned his next project was called "Finding Hitler". And Ian said that his(Ian) next project was "Finding someone to interview Peter Levenda"

Was that a subtle kick in the balls at Wells, or what?

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 15, 2013, 10:54:47 AM

A very interesting comment/dig  right before he ended his conversation with Peter Levenda.

Levenda mentioned his next project was called "Finding Hitler". And Ian said that his(Ian) next project was "Finding someone to interview Peter Levenda"

Was that a subtle kick in the balls at Wells, or what?

Wells certainly wouldn't get it.

Sardondi

Quote from: VtaGeezer on July 15, 2013, 10:41:30 AM
Punnett's relocating to Phoenix AZ for Grad School in Broadcasting at U of AZ.....
Seriously, he's getting a graduate degree in broadcasting? Why not eating spaghetti? Or breathing?

Juan

Quote from: Sardondi on July 15, 2013, 11:37:26 AM
Seriously, he's getting a graduate degree in broadcasting? Why not eating spaghetti? Or breathing?
There are tenured professorships in broadcasting.  I don't believe there are in the other two.

ziznak

Well I haven't listened to the show yet but I'll be checking it out for sure a little bit later.  Ian's always had good topics was always prepared and always read FULL books.  He will be missed.... even his twitter-shit and attempt at hipness.

valdez

Quote from: Morgus on July 14, 2013, 08:10:42 PM
...He bids us a final farewell on this, his last show. Listen for updates from Dr. Judith Orloff, Bill Szostak and Kelly Snider, Galen Cook, Jason 'The Horse,' Peter Levenda, Lynn Picknett and Clive Prince, and others as we drive down memory lane with Ian one last time.
Quote from: 11angeleyes11 on July 14, 2013, 11:43:38 PM
Ian, in all of your innate curiosity...

I didn't know (or don't remember) that he use to have an "intro."  Odor to the odorless?  I didn't hear him saying the full title of his book (had to step out of the car).  Awesome.  Take your rules and stick it, Noory.  Did George call?  I must have missed that too.  I think he also took a jab at product endorsements.  And still trying to solve mysteries until the end.  I was surprised by his glowing words for Lisa Lyon.  I had always thought she was a Noory goon.  God bless Ian Punnett, and his Flying Piranha Raccoons.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Sardondi on July 15, 2013, 11:37:26 AM
I know what you mean. I think the respect once given to a PhD has been diminished by its spread into so many trivial areas outside hard research and, of course, teaching at the university level.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: VtaGeezer on July 15, 2013, 10:41:30 AM
Punnett's relocating to Phoenix AZ for Grad School in Broadcasting at U of AZ.

I note that he said he'll stand-in occasionally and he didn't burn his bridges.  I though Wells was patronizing and his true intent was only "claim" Punnett's slot on the air.  Knapp will be the next to go.  It was a good last show and Ian didn't get overly maudlin, but IMO he jammed too much into it. 

For a seasoned, national broadcaster getting a graduate degree in broadcasting is a massive waste of time.  If his intent is to become a lecturer on broadcasting in a university setting, then getting the degree makes sense as it would be a requirement.  Has anyone heard why he is getting the degree?

Quote from: Marc knight on July 15, 2013, 01:59:56 PM

For a seasoned, national broadcaster getting a graduate degree in broadcasting is a massive waste of time.  If his intent is to become a lecturer on broadcasting in a university setting, then getting the degree makes sense as it would be a requirement.  Has anyone heard why he is getting the degree?

He explained at one point that he can no longer work as a broadcaster due to his tinnitus, so he has made this choice to further his education essentially in pursuit of a career change.  I think he gave us some hint as to what he plans to do with the Ph.D. but I don't remember what it was.

It was a 'when God closes a door, he opens a window' sort of moment.