Poll

What do you listen to when you can't take C2C anymore?

Nothing
Mainstream talk radio
Progressive talk radio
Music
TV
Podcasts

Author Topic: Ian Punnett  (Read 682525 times)

Re: Ian Punnett
« Reply #3540 on: July 30, 2019, 06:00:49 PM »
It was a great weekend, I got my 2 favorite Hosts,Lt. Ian and Capt. Knapp! It's like Picard and Kirk  8) ;D

« Reply #3541 on: August 04, 2019, 12:15:42 PM »
Poor Ian gets a show in which there are two tragic mass shooting incidents he needed to address. You could almost hear him holding back when he was forced to have John Lott on the show.

Ian is an oddball Deacon, or whatever his position is, he seemed to agree with Sci-Fi writer guest, J. Michael Straczynski, who lied to talk to people to get contact with some writers (Ian called it "social engineering") and said he lied on his resume and faked a Master's Degree. Ian: "you gotta do what you gotta do." From both a Deacon in the church AND an academic and professor? Would he tolerate one of his students cheating or faking a degree? Wouldn't fake degrees water-down the real degrees of which Ian's schools provide?

Ian also criticized religion in an odd manner for a Deacon and religious scholar in that he proposed, basically, that in a modern society "with so much freedom" that we don't need to "stick to rules" and that "rules" or a "charismatic leader" might have "been necessary" when we were "back in the some desert where rules are needed so that people as a society or tribe survive." I get his point, and it is somewhat valid, but is more of an argument one would hear from an atheist, leftist, or libertine than a Deacon.  He said "fundamentalism" is due to people not wanting to deal with modernity and "too many choices."  Again that argument could be made but he always seems to be arguing against Christianity, or religion, at least as traditionally and historically believed and practiced. 

This is my paraphrasing of some of Ian's comments, don't take the above as exact quotes. 

I enjoyed Max Brooks and Ian doing "World War Z" in the "War of the Worlds" manner. One of my favorite C2C shows. I never saw the comic book but I thought that show was a lot better than the movie. Radio is, after all, the 'theater of the mind.' And it was a fun show to suspend belief and listen at night to the history of the zombie war. 

ps: "The Changeling" with George C. Scott is MUCH better than "The Changeling" that he wrote starring Eastwood, Jolie, etc.   

« Reply #3542 on: August 04, 2019, 12:48:37 PM »
...Ian also criticized religion in an odd manner for a Deacon and religious scholar in that he proposed, basically, that in a modern society "with so much freedom" that we don't need to "stick to rules" and that "rules" or a "charismatic leader" might have "been necessary" when we were "back in the some desert where rules are needed so that people as a society or tribe survive." I get his point, and it is somewhat valid, but is more of an argument one would hear from an atheist, leftist, or libertine than a Deacon.  He said "fundamentalism" is due to people not wanting to deal with modernity and "too many choices."  Again that argument could be made but he always seems to be arguing against Christianity, or religion, at least as traditionally and historically believed and practiced. 

This is my paraphrasing of some of Ian's comments, don't take the above as exact quotes. 

Isn't he Episcopalian?  They're pretty lax on the whole rule thing, not without justification (a pun probably only you will get). Cf Romans 14 the whole chapter but in particular:

Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.  I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
vs. 13-14 KJV and even clearer in some modern translations

« Reply #3543 on: August 04, 2019, 01:01:38 PM »
Isn't he Episcopalian?  They're pretty lax on the whole rule thing, not without justification (a pun probably only you will get).

Hey now. 

« Reply #3544 on: August 04, 2019, 01:09:21 PM »
Isn't he Episcopalian?  They're pretty lax on the whole rule thing, not without justification (a pun probably only you will get). Cf Romans 14 the whole chapter but in particular:
 vs. 13-14 KJV and even clearer in some modern translations
Ha. Yeah, I got the pun. Yes, I believe that is his Church denomination. 

I think they are, generally, attempt to be a sort of "middle-way" between more "hardcore" Protestantism(s) and Catholic(s)/Orthodox(s.) But they, at least officially, abide by Book of Common Prayer, Bible, the traditional Creeds, etc.

« Reply #3545 on: August 04, 2019, 01:15:08 PM »
Hey now.

Gosh I'm sorry, Walks; I forgot all about the good Lutheran boy!

« Reply #3546 on: August 04, 2019, 01:30:36 PM »
Gosh I'm sorry, Walks; I forgot all about the good Lutheran boy!

Tis okay.   Sometimes I need a little prod to see if I am paying attention.

« Reply #3547 on: August 04, 2019, 01:35:05 PM »
Tis okay.   Sometimes I need a little prod to see if I am paying attention.

The establishment sleeps better knowing that the
best and the brightest are dead from the neck up.

« Reply #3548 on: August 04, 2019, 01:57:30 PM »
Ha. Yeah, I got the pun. Yes, I believe that is his Church denomination. 

I think they are, generally, attempt to be a sort of "middle-way" between more "hardcore" Protestantism(s) and Catholic(s)/Orthodox(s.) But they, at least officially, abide by Book of Common Prayer, Bible, the traditional Creeds, etc.

"Abide by" in the sense that they read and say and pray them, sure, but the idea that Christianity is a relationship with God rather than rule-keeping is nearly universal -- I can quote everyone from the pope to my old Pentecostal pastor on that point.

« Reply #3549 on: August 04, 2019, 02:12:20 PM »
"Abide by" in the sense that they read and say and pray them, sure, but the idea that Christianity is a relationship with God rather than rule-keeping is nearly universal -- I can quote everyone from the pope to my old Pentecostal pastor on that point.
Sure and an argument against the modern, or secular, apologists for whatever "social progress" or "anti-Christian" that is almost never properly explained to those Hollywood types- is that there is a New Covenant, so when they use the frequent arguments "you say we should stone witches," "you say homosexuals should be put to death," "you say...etc etc" the proper thing is to point out that is the "Old Law" (there are arguments in whether they, Mosaic Law, are also superseded by the Noahide Laws even amongst the Jewish folks) not most, at least large, Christian denominations doctrines or ideas. But along with the relationship many Denominations of Christianity argue that while the ability to obey even the basic Law (say the 10 Commandments) is impossible due to Original Sin, human frailty, the nature of the world, and so on (hence the reason for Jesus, Pope, or whatever depending on branches) doesn't mean that one shouldn't strive to do so and some claim good works or obeying the law(s) will be a result of having faith, being saved, having a relationship with God, etc. There also is substantial history of Anti-Paulists who say that Paul diminished the real teachings of Jesus.  And then are different ideas in some Denominations/Sects about making Earth as "heavenly" as possible versus "withdrawal from secular or worldly affairs" because the Earth is doomed by its own creation and nature (and some people are also) and just waiting it out for the final/end times.

« Reply #3550 on: August 04, 2019, 02:38:29 PM »
Sure and an argument against the modern, or secular, apologists for whatever "social progress" or "anti-Christian" that is almost never properly explained to those Hollywood types- is that there is a New Covenant, so when they use the frequent arguments "you say we should stone witches," "you say homosexuals should be put to death," "you say...etc etc" the proper thing is to point out that is the "Old Law" (there are arguments in whether they, Mosaic Law, are also superseded by the Noahide Laws even amongst the Jewish folks) not most, at least large, Christian denominations doctrines or ideas. But along with the relationship many Denominations of Christianity argue that while the ability to obey even the basic Law (say the 10 Commandments) is impossible due to Original Sin, human frailty, the nature of the world, and so on (hence the reason for Jesus, Pope, or whatever depending on branches) doesn't mean that one shouldn't strive to do so and some claim good works or obeying the law(s) will be a result of having faith, being saved, having a relationship with God, etc. There also is substantial history of Anti-Paulists who say that Paul diminished the real teachings of Jesus.  And then are different ideas in some Denominations/Sects about making Earth as "heavenly" as possible versus "withdrawal from secular or worldly affairs" because the Earth is doomed by its own creation and nature (and some people are also) and just waiting it out for the final/end times.

Haha yeah it's trendy to bash on Paul because people don't like what he says about homosexuality or women shutting up in church but people don't realize he was probably the most "liberal" of the apostles, arguing against enforcing circumcision and saying Christians could eat food-offerings made to other gods, no problem, and that the whole ethical system in Romans sounds frightfully modern and subtle and not judgey and you could drive a greyhound bus through it if you wanted to.

But such is today's practically illiterate society where you read a few pull quotes and think you understand everything about a man.

« Reply #3551 on: August 04, 2019, 03:44:19 PM »
Haha yeah it's trendy to bash on Paul because people don't like what he says about homosexuality or women shutting up in church but people don't realize he was probably the most "liberal" of the apostles, arguing against enforcing circumcision and saying Christians could eat food-offerings made to other gods, no problem, and that the whole ethical system in Romans sounds frightfully modern and subtle and not judgey and you could drive a greyhound bus through it if you wanted to.

But such is today's practically illiterate society where you read a few pull quotes and think you understand everything about a man.

Indeed. I hope Ian reads Bellgab. Haha.

« Reply #3552 on: August 04, 2019, 03:54:13 PM »

Indeed. I hope Ian reads Bellgab. Haha.
Yeeewww know, he just might, unlike the famous "author" who no doubt just has Tommee check it out occasionally.  Although, I well remember the hilarious real-time BellGab exchanges between Jorch and we haters of days gone by.  Such as when Jorch was so engaged on BG, he forgot his C2C guest.  ;D

« Reply #3553 on: August 04, 2019, 06:21:04 PM »
Yeeewww know, he just might, unlike the famous "author" who no doubt just has Tommee check it out occasionally.  Although, I well remember the hilarious real-time BellGab exchanges between Jorch and we haters of days gone by.  Such as when Jorch was so engaged on BG, he forgot his C2C guest.  ;D
Fun times.  :D

« Reply #3554 on: August 13, 2019, 07:45:18 AM »