• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ian Punnett

Started by sillydog, April 06, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

What do you listen to when you can't take C2C anymore?

Nothing
Mainstream talk radio
Progressive talk radio
Music
TV
Podcasts

ItsOver

It's a vast wasteland now.  The only bright spots are when Knapp shows-up but that's too few and far between.  With Wells, it's like listening to Jeff Spicoli on steroids.  I expect a pizza is delivered to him every Saturday.

tensy

I really miss IP.  He was the only one I could listen to without screaming.   He didn't take the job or guest seriously and it was entertaining. 

Nebraska888

I, too, really miss Ian.   Irritating or not, the man was INTELLIGENT!

Jorch told me he might host a show in late December or January. He said it still wasn't confirmed.

Quote from: tensy on December 03, 2013, 12:29:03 PM
I really miss IP.  He was the only one I could listen to without screaming.   He didn't take the job or guest seriously and it was entertaining.

Until someone disagreed with him.  Or worse, when a caller thought of something he hadn't. 

He took himself waay too seriously. 

I predict he will do the predictions show.
And I predict one prediction will be that Art Bell will come back.
Ha

Morgus

Quote from: HorrorReporter on December 05, 2013, 01:53:31 PM
I predict he will do the predictions show.
Thats already a big BONK!
Art hates PremRat radio networks now from his statements on his Sirius show.
He would never work with them again.
Looks like we just have to wait for his Sirius NC to expire in a couple years and then he will do free independent internet streaming.

Didn't Ian just suck doing the predictions show before - arguing with callers about their predictions, always having to get one up on them. 

Morgus

Quote from: Paper*Boy on December 05, 2013, 03:19:57 PM
Didn't Ian just suck doing the predictions show before - arguing with callers about their predictions, always having to get one up on them.
Yep Ian did a sucky New Years caller predictions show one or two times before.
But Noory took it over for the first time last year I believe...

NowhereInTime

Quote from: Morgus on December 05, 2013, 07:12:21 PM
Yep Ian did a sucky New Years caller predictions show one or two times before.
But Noory took it over for the first time last year I believe...
He'll be back for the New Year's show because Noorad will probably be hosting a Beyon Bleef marathon on Gaiam.
Anyway Ian was a damn good host.  I loved that he challenged people with whom he didn't agree - why the hell do people think they have a right to their own interpretation of reality?
Plus, he delved into some crime topics (that only Knapp touches these days) that were so sinister they bordered on paranormal.
And, yes, I thought the World War Z show with Max Brooks was a near miss but a good attempt to freshen up radio.

bateman

Quote from: NowhereInTime on December 05, 2013, 07:38:27 PM
He'll be back for the New Year's show because Noorad will probably be hosting a Beyon Bleef marathon on Gaiam.
Anyway Ian was a damn good host.  I loved that he challenged people with whom he didn't agree - why the hell do people think they have a right to their own interpretation of reality?
Plus, he delved into some crime topics (that only Knapp touches these days) that were so sinister they bordered on paranormal.
And, yes, I thought the World War Z show with Max Brooks was a near miss but a good attempt to freshen up radio.

I was never a big fan of his, but I'd be curious to take a listen to these. Do you remember any of the topics?

georgesucks

Ian Punnett ‏@deaconpunnett 4 Dec

Just for fun, I'm filling in on C2C on 12/28. Not sure I know how to host a show anymore (or ever knew to begin with). Testing. Is this on?

This is from Ian's twitter account.

BobGrau

Quote from: c337pilot on December 06, 2013, 11:06:16 PM
Ian Punnett ‏@deaconpunnett 4 Dec

Just for fun, I'm filling in on C2C on 12/28. Not sure I know how to host a show anymore (or ever knew to begin with). Testing. Is this on?

This is from Ian's twitter account.

Glad to hear it. I doubt I'm going to listen though. I can barely be arsed even listening to Knapp these days, that show is just so... tainted.

yumyumtree

Oh, that makes my day! I'll make a point of listening.

yumyumtree

Quote from: bateman on December 05, 2013, 07:55:13 PM
I was never a big fan of his, but I'd be curious to take a listen to these. Do you remember any of the topics?
One of them was the Happy Face killer(so called because of graffiti seen at one scene--they are trying to get away from that nickname but nobody has a better one. )Anyway, over the past 15 years or so a lot of young men, usually inebriated college students have died under mysterious circumstances, usually found in or near water. Most are in the Great Lakes region. Some people feel that there may be a serial killer at work, but less attention paid, because they aren't girls. Ian did at least one show on it.
He also interviewed a guy who had researched Charles Mansons ties to other people in the S. California music scene in the 60s. At the time of the murders the Beach Boys obviously wanted to distance themselves from him and he was depicted as a wannabe with little talent who had one song at most recorded by the Beach Boys. But this guy claimed that he was actually quite close to them.
Ian challenged a caller who had a conspiracy theory about Navy Seals, and did it in an emphatic way you probably would never hear from Noory.
One time a woman was on who claimed to have a revolutionary new treatment for burn patients. When she was pinned down she kept citing medical privacy laws as the reason she couldn't tell him this or that. During the break he or somebody working on the show learned that it was a scam and he announced it. That had to be embarrassing, but it was the right thing to do, in my mind.
Those are a few Ian moments that come to mind.

ItsOver

I remember when he had on the author of "The Last Train from Hiroshima," Charles R. Pellegrino.  It was before all the controversy with Pellegrino and the book surfaced.  Punnett usually did a good job when he was talking with most authors, since he'd actually read at least some of the book and could formulate interesting discussions, unlike Romper Room Jorch and his 3x5 cards.

bateman

Quote from: yumyumtree on December 07, 2013, 04:45:19 PM
One of them was the Happy Face killer(so called because of graffiti seen at one scene--they are trying to get away from that nickname but nobody has a better one. )Anyway, over the past 15 years or so a lot of young men, usually inebriated college students have died under mysterious circumstances, usually found in or near water. Most are in the Great Lakes region. Some people feel that there may be a serial killer at work, but less attention paid, because they aren't girls. Ian did at least one show on it.
He also interviewed a guy who had researched Charles Mansons ties to other people in the S. California music scene in the 60s. At the time of the murders the Beach Boys obviously wanted to distance themselves from him and he was depicted as a wannabe with little talent who had one song at most recorded by the Beach Boys. But this guy claimed that he was actually quite close to them.
Ian challenged a caller who had a conspiracy theory about Navy Seals, and did it in an emphatic way you probably would never hear from Noory.
One time a woman was on who claimed to have a revolutionary new treatment for burn patients. When she was pinned down she kept citing medical privacy laws as the reason she couldn't tell him this or that. During the break he or somebody working on the show learned that it was a scam and he announced it. That had to be embarrassing, but it was the right thing to do, in my mind.
Those are a few Ian moments that come to mind.

Interesting, thanks.

Quote from: ItsOver on December 07, 2013, 05:04:10 PM
I remember when he had on the author of "The Last Train from Hiroshima," Charles R. Pellegrino.  It was before all the controversy with Pellegrino and the book surfaced.  Punnett usually did a good job when he was talking with most authors, since he'd actually read at least some of the book and could formulate interesting discussions, unlike Romper Room Jorch and his 3x5 cards.

He's pretty good, I remember hearing him on with John Batchelor talking about Star Tram.

EDIT: here's the segment: http://johnbatchelorshow.com/blog/2013/07/star-tram-world-tomorrow

Quote from: TaoOfLuxLisbon on November 13, 2013, 12:07:54 AM
I miss Ian. Was sad to find out he couldn't even keep up with the odd Sunday show. Still the only C2C host who twice compelled me with a guest interview to buy their books.

I bought a few books from people Ian interviewed like Mary Roach and Steven Volk, and they were very good books, too. Ian always read beforehand, and if he didn't, he would state it up front and apologize for not having read the entire book. That's what I liked about him. I'm glad to hear he's going to guest host on the 28th.

NowhereInTime

Quote from: bateman on December 05, 2013, 07:55:13 PM
Specifically four that stood out to me:
One was the nation wide disappearance of twenty something blonde men being found (dead) in waterways (attributed to the "Smiley Face" Killer which was somehow discredited as a theory but there were often Smiley faces found within 100 yards of many recoveries). Creeped me out.
Two was, of course, the DB Cooper stuff.  He must have done at least three dedicated shows to DB Cooper theories including evidence pointing to names of suspects. (I'm sorry I don't have info readily available.)
Three was theory about Son of Sam David Berkowitz being involved in a kill cult that filmed the murders. At one point there was a hot rumor about "artist" Robert Mapplethorpe possessing a snuff film of the Stacey Moskowitz shooting.
Four was Zodiac. He had on people from www.zodiackiller.com who went over theories about who the killer could be (including Vic Tayback - Mel from Mel's Diner Alice tv show) - this last one I believe George Knapp also did a show on.

yumyumtree

Thanks. It was "Smiley Face", not "Happy Face", as I remembered.

Incidentally the WA state History museum in Tacoma has a D.B. Cooper exhibit on through Jan. 5. I'm planning to go on Dec. 14.

Nebraska888

Ian is hosting December 28th??????  HOOORRAAAYYYYY!!!! 

Morgus

Quote from: Nebraska888 on December 08, 2013, 01:24:20 PM
Thats a Saturday night, so Ian must be filling in for John B. Wells that night.
Kinda ironic, no?  8)

ItsOver

That's great.  I just hope Punnett has a decent guest to work with.  I'll take Punnett over Mary Jane Wells anytime.  I'm assuming Knapp will still be doing the following night so it'll be nice holiday treat. 

Excellent news. I always liked Ian because he is smart and spiritually intellectual, without being "religious." Always hoped he would have Christopher Hitchens on as a guest - but that can't happen anytime soon. RIP Hitch. Anyway, you can follow Ian on twitter, where he tweets fairly regularly @deaconpunnett

ItsOver

That would have been a good match, Hitchens and Punnett.  Certainly a quantum leap from last night's Wells and Dietrich.  :P

Nebraska888

Quote from: ItsOver on December 08, 2013, 03:50:04 PM
That would have been a good match, Hitchens and Punnett.  Certainly a quantum leap from last night's Wells and Dietrich.  :P

Agreed!  Christopher H. and Ian would have be fabulous.

NowhereInTime

Quote from: Nebraska888 on December 08, 2013, 04:06:54 PM
Agreed!  Christopher H. and Ian would have be fabulous.
to be redundant-count me as another who would've loved to hear a Punnett-Hitchens 4 hour discussion.

DanTSX

Quote from: Nebraska888 on December 08, 2013, 01:24:20 PM

Oh lovely.  A snippy, catty, Dahctahr of Divinity

Can't wait to catch up on an hour-long DB Cooper update.

DanTSX

Quote from: mcclellanrobert on December 08, 2013, 03:23:30 PM
Excellent news. I always liked Ian because he is smart and spiritually intellectual, without being "religious." Always hoped he would have Christopher Hitchens on as a guest - but that can't happen anytime soon. RIP Hitch. Anyway, you can follow Ian on twitter, where he tweets fairly regularly @deaconpunnett

ahahaha bullshit.  he was fine as long as YOU were not into religion.  Then he went into dogmatic attack dog mode.  The tinnitus is really just a dog whistle.

onan

Simply put, Hitchens would win every intellectual contest with punnet. Since IP will control the mic, it may seem to be a toss up.