• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ian Punnett

Started by sillydog, April 06, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

What do you listen to when you can't take C2C anymore?

Nothing
Mainstream talk radio
Progressive talk radio
Music
TV
Podcasts

onan

Quote from: crockasocks on August 03, 2013, 09:59:02 AM
I think Ian's tinnitus would have cleared up in a New York minute

I doubt it Tinnitus, depending on what you read, rarely goes away... completely. In many cases (about 1% of the population) it needs ongoing medical intervention. From what I have read and heard about Ian over the last year or so, he is in the one percent.

Quote from: onan on August 03, 2013, 10:09:34 AM
I doubt it Tinnitus, depending on what you read, rarely goes away... completely. In many cases (about 1% of the population) it needs ongoing medical intervention. From what I have read and heard about Ian over the last year or so, he is in the one percent.

I've had Tinnitus for 25 years.  It's softened over that time, or at least I've learned to tune it out, but it's still there and still aggravated by noisy environments and poor sleep schedules (and once it's aggravated it takes awhile to settle back down).  So far as I know there's no treatment.. only medications that can provide temporary relief with side effects I wasn't willing to take on.  I haven't looked into it much for a long time though.  I've learned to cope and I'm not aware of it at most times.

Ian left two broadcasting jobs he loved because of tinnitus. I doubt either was an easy decision to make. The last couple of years he's been writing more for publication, I'm guessing to begin a new source of income outside of broadcasting, which is why he's now going for his PhD in Arizona, again another difficult choice because it means leaving the family behind for a while.

I really can't see him taking sides and burning his bridges.

Quote from: ACE of CLUBS on August 03, 2013, 10:07:59 AM
Not just being a prick here Paper*Boy ........ but, why would you even ask Ian Punnett a question like that?  What did you expect for an answer?

I didn't ask him anything.  I just copy/pasted a conversation he was having on his Twitter page that mentioned Art and George, and commented on that.

I thought people would be interested in what Ian had to say.  I realize there probably was no good way for him to answer that, and thought his response was fine (it was a 'PC response', but so what). 

I also thought his tone was typical of the way he treats people that disagree with him or challenge him when he's hosting a show.  I used to like Ian a lot, it frustrates me that several years ago he turned into a little snot.

onan

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on August 03, 2013, 12:57:51 PM
I've had Tinnitus for 25 years.  It's softened over that time, or at least I've learned to tune it out, but it's still there and still aggravated by noisy environments and poor sleep schedules (and once it's aggravated it takes awhile to settle back down).  So far as I know there's no treatment.. only medications that can provide temporary relief with side effects I wasn't willing to take on.  I haven't looked into it much for a long time though.  I've learned to cope and I'm not aware of it at most times.

That is the case with most sufferers, myself included. But for some the sounds are debilitating. I am not an expert on this btw. As well as medicines, there are devices that counter the sounds, and surgery.

CampsieNP

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 03, 2013, 01:23:36 PM

I thought people would be interested in what Ian had to say.  I realize there probably was no good way for him to answer that, and thought his response was fine (it was a 'PC response', but so what). 

Paper*boy...I can never hear Ian without thinking of your ipad cartoon of him as a gingerbread cookie. Thank you. You can do no wrong in my book.

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 02, 2013, 02:12:28 PM
What I meant by 'typical' was the way he responded to the tweet "do you know what PC means?" rather than either ignoring it or responding to it.  It's a very mild example of what the people that don't like Ian don't like about him.  No one is allowed to disagree with Ian or challenge him in any way without getting bullied.

Punnett's one of the best at what he does, but I'll back you up on this. He has to be right....even when he knows he's wrong. I've heard one or more examples of this when he'd disagreed with undeniable facts of history. He tried to "win" even after the caller successfully demonstrated that he was objectively wrong.

Quote from: Nucky Nolan on August 03, 2013, 08:38:36 PM
Punnett's one of the best at what he does, but I'll back you up on this. He has to be right....even when he knows he's wrong. I've heard one or more examples of this when he'd disagreed with undeniable facts of history. He tried to "win" even after the caller successfully demonstrated that he was objectively wrong.

His undergrad was in Rhetoric.  He reverts back to his debate tactics.

I'd bet even money his tinnitus will improve miraculously, and that he will be a happier more enjoyable host filling in or doing a weekend show with Art.  It would not surprise me in the least to find out he mostly had PremRat-itus, or it's more virulent form, noory-itus.

Mels-hole1984

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 03, 2013, 10:02:22 PM

I'd bet even money his tinnitus will improve miraculously, and that he will be a happier more enjoyable host filling in or doing a weekend show with Art.  It would not surprise me in the least to find out he mostly had PremRat-itus, or it's more virulent form, noory-itus.

Compared to what we've had to deal with for these last few years, Ian was always a welcomed change to the constant ignorance that has become coast to coast. At least he was entertaining to say the least.

Quote from: Mels-hole1984 on August 03, 2013, 10:06:07 PM
Compared to what we've had to deal with for these last few years, Ian was always a welcomed change to the constant ignorance that has become coast to coast. At least he was entertaining to say the least.

I finally just stopped listening to all of it

I'll take you up on that bet.  If Ian does three shows in the next 3 months, you get to choose my Avatar for a month.  If he doesn't (because his tinnitus is very real), I get to choose yours for a month.  You game?

Mels-hole1984

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 03, 2013, 10:12:12 PM

I finally just stopped listening to all of it

I wouldn't listen myself but I seem to suffer for insomnia and cant fall asleep without having something to distract my mind. The only other option in my area as far as talk goes is, religious or spanish speaking shows on the dial. I'd rather deal with wanna be paranormal radio, than lay there listless all night. I'm glad Arts coming back.

Nucky Nolan

The facts were beyond debate. He erroneously claimed that scientists injected Black men with syphilis in Tuskegee. The men had the disease when they were denied treatment by the very vile men who studied them. He attacked a caller who mentioned this to him. It was an honest and simple mistake. He should have just admitted that he was wrong. He twisted and turned things while he went off on the caller. That said, he had some of the best shows, and his many great traits outweighed his few occasional peccadilloes.

Nucky Nolan

I need to add this. I like Ian as a person and a talent. He's an educated, intelligent, knowledgable man with a genuinely good heart that's not an artificial construct designed to make people think that he's a nice guy. He aired some of the best shows since Coast To Coast started with Art Bell. He asks the questions that we would ask, always keeping the conversation on track. He reads the guests' books, and he often knows information and material linked to the shows' subjects. A lot of us will miss his regular gigs that filled their own niche. His programs on belief systems, true crime, oddball events, and pop culture brought a special, unique flavor to Coast that will be missed.

Of corse he looks good next to Dave and wells.
Ian is a professional, I give him that.
He was an average host in my opinion, but fantastic in comparison to noory and wells.

UFQuack

Ian "Breathe into the Mic" Punnett has an ego so large--it's vibrating! That must be the root cause of the incessant ringing in his ears (his tinnitus) and he doesn't even know it! And don't be fooled by his pretend self-deprecating humor, this man truly and deeply loves his own noisy little mind.  He's the only radio host I've ever heard who uses his sloppy breathing as an intro to the show and also uses it as a tool to let you know he's there after breaks, do they teach that in broadcasting school for professionals?! Perhaps he should include farting and burping--stupid jerk. Glad he's gone! But then again when people say they're "gone" today, it of course means that they'll be back as soon as it is humanly possible for them to do so.

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: UFQuack on August 08, 2013, 06:07:13 PM
Ian "Breathe into the Mic" Punnett has an ego so large--it's vibrating! That must be the root cause of the incessant ringing in his ears (his tinnitus) and he doesn't even know it! And don't be fooled by his pretend self-deprecating humor, this man truly and deeply loves his own noisy little mind.  He's the only radio host I've ever heard who uses his sloppy breathing as an intro to the show and also uses it as a tool to let you know he's there after breaks, do they teach that in broadcasting school for professionals?! Perhaps he should include farting and burping--stupid jerk. Glad he's gone! But then again when people say they're "gone" today, it of course means that they'll be back as soon as it is humanly possible for them to do so.

That made me laugh because I always thought that Punnett sounded like a puff viper when he took those deep, long inhalations through clenched teeth. He likely wasn't aware of it.

Quote from: Nucky Nolan on August 08, 2013, 06:44:28 PM
That made me laugh because I always thought that Punnett sounded like a puff viper when he took those deep, long inhalations through clenched teeth. He likely wasn't aware of it.

I thought he was sucking in a lungful of helium at the beginning of each segment.

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 08, 2013, 06:48:18 PM
I thought he was sucking in a lungful of helium at the beginning of each segment.

Now that you brought up his voice, I thought that he was a college student when I first heard him. I was shocked when I learned that he was older than me.

bateman

Yeah, I never understood the appeal of the guy. This alone should've marked the end of his tenure on Coast.

bateman

And answering the phones with "where are you taking us next?" always made me cringe.. Blecchh.

Quote from: bateman on August 08, 2013, 08:02:22 PM
Yeah, I never understood the appeal of the guy. This alone should've marked the end of his tenure on Coast.

Well when your compared to Dave, anyone looks good.
Ian was fine as a Sunday night guy. Mostly because no one listens on Sunday night.

bateman

Quote from: nooryisawesome on August 08, 2013, 08:40:18 PM
Well when your compared to Dave, anyone looks good.
Ian was fine as a Sunday night guy. Mostly because no one listens on Sunday night.

Fair enough.

ItsOver

At least Ian did some show prep.  He'd actually read the books of his guests.  Noory thinks his 8 hours of shooting the crap with Tommy, tormenting the staff, and pre-show nap is prep time.

A recent tweet from Ian:

Ian Punnett ‏@deaconpunnett  2 Aug  Still unpacking. Jack got a new matching collar & leash set for PHX. Figured he needed a new leash on life!

[attachimg=1]

DanTSX

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 08, 2013, 10:34:08 PM
A recent tweet from Ian:

Ian Punnett ‏@deaconpunnett  2 Aug  Still unpacking. Jack got a new matching collar & leash set for PHX. Figured he needed a new leash on life!

[attachimg=1]

is that his stupid mutt with the propeller butt? :o

NowhereInTime

I wish Ian was doing the show tonight. John B's secret terrorist cell show sounds like boilerplate '60's spy movie nonsense.  I wonder if the Deacon ever peruses the Gab?

BattyBrooke

Does anyone here, other than myself, like Ian or any other host, for that matter? It seems every host's thread (other than Art) is filled with a bunch of hate posts. Jeez, guys. You can love Art and still *not* hate (and even like!) other hosts such as Ian Punnett. I know I do.

Quote from: BattyBrooke on September 28, 2013, 03:39:18 PM
Does anyone here, other than myself, like Ian or any other host, for that matter? It seems every host's thread (other than Art) is filled with a bunch of hate posts. Jeez, guys. You can love Art and still *not* hate (and even like!) other hosts such as Ian Punnett. I know I do.

Does anyone here hate George Knapp? I really doubt it.

I didn't care for Ian, but I found him listenable on occasion, and certainly preferable to Noory.