• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ian Punnett

Started by sillydog, April 06, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

What do you listen to when you can't take C2C anymore?

Nothing
Mainstream talk radio
Progressive talk radio
Music
TV
Podcasts

Harmness

Fuck the stupid Titanic, fuck zombies, and fuck Twitter.

Harmness

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on April 18, 2012, 01:19:04 AM
         I think Ian would like to

I could introduce him to an old girlfriend of mine....

Quote from: Harmness on April 17, 2012, 05:16:33 PM
Fuck the stupid Titanic, fuck zombies, and fuck Twitter.

Yeah, but what is your position on comic books, DB Cooper, and men trapped in the bodies of horses?

McPhallus

Quote from: Harmness on April 21, 2012, 02:33:37 PM
I could introduce him to an old girlfriend of mine....

Linda Moulton Howe?

Sleepwalker

Quote from: Sardondi on April 14, 2012, 01:46:50 AM

Still, I'd walk on nails if I could just hear IP host the show instead of that semi-trained monkey, George Noory.

I'd love to hear Ian back on Saturday nights instead of that noxious radiation detector-selling John B. Wells.  I really can't tolerate him. Maybe Wells and the crazy number lady will implode tonight.

Harmness

Quote from: Paper*Boy on April 21, 2012, 05:39:06 PM

Yeah, but what is your position on comic books, DB Cooper, and men trapped in the bodies of horses?

Grown men who read comic books need wedgies, DB Cooper is an excellent alias to use, and fuck you for reminding me about that nutcase.
Quote from: McPhallus on April 21, 2012, 05:47:46 PM

Linda Moulton Howe?

Quote from: preston on April 21, 2012, 06:23:11 PM
Evilynn Pagliny. ;)
Quote from: 11angeleyes11 on April 21, 2012, 08:50:29 PM
Sylvia Browne?

I'm not sure whether you all think I'm a hell of a ladies' man or just the opposite; though just so you know, I'm not scared of either fat or crazy, so go ahead and add the numbers lady.

aldousburbank

Ian Punnett, the Captain Janeway of the Coast enterprise, and my number one choice for the next human on this planet who should smoke their first joint for gawd's sake already.

Ben Shockley

Quote from: aldousburbank on April 22, 2012, 06:05:11 PM
Ian Punnett... the next human on this planet who should smoke their first joint for gawd's sake already.
The paranoia would kill him, before he ever lit up.   He still remembers that "Dragnet" episode where the nice, normal, extremely uptight-looking young L.A. parents forgot their baby in the bathtub and he drowned, 'cause of the demon weed.
Ian could never really accept Erik Estrada as a CHP officer, because he remembered and couldn't get over the shocking first half of "The Cross And The Switchblade," shown in church in Ian's youth.

Morgus

Ian Punnett, the Captain Janeway of the Coast enterprise

Deacon Punnett appears on the latest edition of Tinnitus Today. (it really exists)
http://www.ata.org/Ian-Punnett
There is something very human about Ian. I know people always had an issue with him.. but isn't it interesting that now that he is gone from Saturdays how much people miss him...

someguy

Quote from: HorrorReporter on April 24, 2012, 08:02:59 PM
Deacon Punnett appears on the latest edition of Tinnitus Today. (it really exists)
http://www.ata.org/Ian-Punnett
There is something very human about Ian. I know people always had an issue with him.. but isn't it interesting that now that he is gone from Saturdays how much people miss him...

that magazine has to be some of the stupidest shit I have ever seen. "yeah sure, I subscribe to tinnitus today and foot fungus monthly. they're such great and relevant publications"

Quote from: someguy on April 24, 2012, 11:11:00 PM

that magazine has to be some of the stupidest shit I have ever seen. "yeah sure, I subscribe to tinnitus today and foot fungus monthly. they're such great and relevant publications"

HAHAHA

awesome

Lovely Bones

Quote from: someguy on April 24, 2012, 11:11:00 PM

Well, it's relevant to the sufferers of tinnitus.  Your response suggests you've never suffered from a malady that doctors can't cure and have difficulty treating effectively and/or you can't empathize with someone who has.  But maybe that's just my perspective on what you've written here.

On another note, I was interested in this passage from Ian's article:

Since my therapeutic strategy has been to follow up on every lead, I made an appointment with (let’s call him “Dr. White”) a psychiatrist. As an old school shrink, Dr. White asked me questions about my mother and my sex life and finally concluded that if the tinnitus was not organic, my mind could be creating “a delusion” to provide an excuse to end my successful but demanding media career.  

[bolding mine]

Was he looking for an excuse to cut ties with Coast? 

Quote from: Lovely Bones on April 25, 2012, 07:26:56 AM
... On another note, I was interested in this passage from Ian's article:

Since my therapeutic strategy has been to follow up on every lead, I made an appointment with (let’s call him “Dr. White”) a psychiatrist. As an old school shrink, Dr. White asked me questions about my mother and my sex life and finally concluded that if the tinnitus was not organic, my mind could be creating “a delusion” to provide an excuse to end my successful but demanding media career.  

[bolding mine]

I wonder if Ian told 'Dr White' about that Friday night promo call in to George.  The one where George brings up Paul the Octopus, Ian does a very ernest and enthusiastic - yet nonsensical - monologue from his dream state, and George agrees with him.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: Paper*Boy on April 25, 2012, 12:49:19 PM

I wonder if Ian told 'Dr White' about that Friday night promo call in to George.  The one where George brings up Paul the Octopus, Ian does a very ernest and enthusiastic - yet nonsensical - monologue from his dream state, and George agrees with him.

I remember that--it was really bizarre.  Ian spent a couple weeks trying to defend himself against people claiming he was drunk when he called in, but the guy says he doesn't drink and I have no reason to disbelieve him. 

The strangest part was Noory just going with the flow, totally unbothered by his colleague's obvious departure from reality. 

venkman71

Ian Punnett, the Captain Janeway of the Coast enterprise, and my number one choice for the next human on this planet who should smoke their first joint for gawd's sake already.

Well-friggin'-played.

someguy

Quote from: Lovely Bones on April 25, 2012, 07:26:56 AM
Well, it's relevant to the sufferers of tinnitus.  Your response suggests you've never suffered from a malady that doctors can't cure and have difficulty treating effectively and/or you can't empathize with someone who has.  But maybe that's just my perspective on what you've written here.

On another note, I was interested in this passage from Ian's article:

[bolding mine]

I'll have you know I'm a devout reader of Ingrown Toenail Digest.

aldousburbank

Quote from: someguy on April 26, 2012, 01:16:46 PM

I'll have you know I'm a devout reader of Ingrown Toenail Digest.

Priapism Monthly

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: aldousburbank on April 26, 2012, 01:55:54 PM
Priapism Monthly
The magazine that leans to the far right

Ian also writes a monthly column for Irritable Bowel Today.

Could Ian's next cover shot be on Sheep magazine? It's real http://www.sheepmagazine.com/

11angeleyes11

Quote from: HorrorReporter on April 27, 2012, 07:15:21 AM
Could Ian's next cover shot be on Sheep magazine? It's real http://www.sheepmagazine.com/
Yes,  I can see it.  There are "Mufon" sheep as in the Mutual UFO Network.  However, it would probably depend on the severity of his tinutisis.  It would have to be Bah tinutisis.  I know Bah joke, but when you stay up and listen to the breaking news on honeybees, you cannot be on top of everything, including comedy. 

Nebraska888

Quote from: stevesh on April 11, 2012, 08:35:04 AM
No, there's plenty of room between accepting any nonsense as Noory does, and arguing with guests for the sake of doing so. I think Punnett is a lot closer to the ideal attitude than Noory, and just ignore him when he occasionally crosses the line.

I'm in full agreement about the Twitter thing, though. Twitter is the narcissist's wet dream, and Punnett is nothing if not self-absorbed.

Well said....

I do enjoy Ian, but there is no denying that he has a healthy dose of egocentrism.  However, Ian is bright, well read, and well spoken.  Noory, too, is an egomaniac......but an idiot who spews out platitudes and bits of pieces of what he has heard from his guests believing in his heart that he is bright and engaging.

BobGrau

Have I Got News For You is a long-running satirical panel show in the UK - every week they feature a 'guest publication'. Here are some highlights -

Welding and Metal Fabrication Monthly
Plastics and Rubber Weekly
Australian Goat World
Hot Dip Galvanising
The Icelandic Sheep Breeders of North America Newsletter

and my own favourite: Journal of Elasticity
Full(er) list here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Pseudomonas/Guest_Publications_on_Have_I_Got_News_for_You

(a lot of these links are dead, but the show has been running for twenty years and it's well established that these are genuine publications)

I bet this is the sort of humour Ian Punnett would love.

I'll throw in with Modern Drunkard magazine.
http://www.drunkard.com/

I swear when I was going to school there was a journal called Mutants of Maize that several of my professors subscribed to, but when I tried to Google it I could only find an out of print book by this name!