• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ian Punnett

Started by sillydog, April 06, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

What do you listen to when you can't take C2C anymore?

Nothing
Mainstream talk radio
Progressive talk radio
Music
TV
Podcasts
Quote from: onan on August 29, 2011, 12:46:06 PM
I am not sure you were posting here when Ft. Rock was. He was... shall we say, ummm creative. His style made for some lively posts. He may still be a member, I don't know. The concept of dames and Ft. Rock would be like two peas in a pod.
Thank you onan. I haven't come across a poster named "Ft Rock" yet or any postings by him/her. While pondering this new information..I wonder how many students/people actually have paid/taken his courses and how many true sychophants Dames actually has out there.
I have some researching to do regarding Dames on another matter. See if I can't find some things on this Ft. Rock while I'm at it.

Morgus

Quote from: General Johnson Jameson on August 29, 2011, 12:57:54 PM
I haven't come across a poster named "Ft Rock" yet or any postings by him/her.
Fort Rock was ultimately banned, so his posts are months back and may have been removed in the Art Bell thread.

Morgus

Ian Punnett's planned zombie-fest for last Saturday was pre-empted by hurricane (now less than tropical storm) Irene.
But Ian promised(threatened?) he would have the zombie guy back soon in the near future.

BobGrau

Fort Rock should be coastgab's mascot. I want to see a huge background pic of his grinning visage lurking behind every thread.

In fact, I might start using his photo as my signature.

BobGrau

As for the zombie shows, I thought the first 'world war z' show was great, but I agree the topic is pretty much done. I'd like to hear Max Brooks again, but maybe just a first-hour segment - unless he's got something new to talk about.

PS It really annoys me that the british media refers to the coming movie as 'Brad Pitt's new zombie film' - he might be in it, but I doubt that makes it 'his'.

Quote from: Morgus on August 29, 2011, 01:30:30 PM
Ian Punnett's planned zombie-fest for last Saturday was pre-empted by hurricane (now less than tropical storm) Irene.
But Ian promised(threatened?) he would have the zombie guy back soon in the near future.

How bored is Ian?  How much does he hate Coast, George Noory, the rest of the staff, the listeners?

I think Ian does the Zombies shows because he's seen how popular Vampire books, TV shows, and movies are.  He wants to be there if Zombies ever get to be as popular.  It's the same reason he does those True Crime shows - if any are ever solved, Ian wants credit for 'breaking' the case.

Ian needs a new challenge, maybe another degree or some credential, but what?  He already has 2 jobs that let him just talk and talk - as a preacher he is the only one that gets to do any talking at all, as a host of a now terrible radio show he is able to control and limit the guests and callers time.

WOTR

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 29, 2011, 04:43:38 PM
How bored is Ian?  How much does he hate Coast, George Noory, the rest of the staff, the listeners?

I think Ian does the Zombies shows because...
Could it be that Ian is doing Zombies as a commentary on the direction that Coast has taken, certain other hosts, guests and callers?  If it is an inside joke; a way of subtly saying that the program is a living, dead husk of what it once was I would applaud it... I might even give the WWZ show another shot.  Perhaps I will tune in next zombie show just to see if I am on to something; to listen for subtle clues.

I finally realized Ian was in reality an 8th grade loser when he came on the air, said he'd just taken his kid to see Kiss (without Ace and Peter), then gushingly proclaimed them 'the coolest band ever'. 

rolindos

Quote from: mbrown on August 30, 2011, 10:06:34 PM
Ian is a nerd.  he loves comic books..i mean i am his age but i am not sure i ever read a comic book.  not sure i even remember anyone else who read comic books other than mad magazine..but art is a nerd too..somewhat a social outcast...but that is not the point..who can entertain us for a few hours a night?  Punnett, sNoory and/or Bell...Choose two.  be my guest.
Hulk not read comic book Hulk not like Ian me smash radio hulk sleep now

Ian is a nerd.  he loves comic books..i mean i am his age but i am not sure i ever read a comic book. 
I feel sorry for you if you've never read a comic book. You're missing out big time. There's a lot of stuff that isn't geared toward children or the simplistic stories you might expect.

not sure i even remember anyone else who read comic books other than mad magazine..but art is a nerd too..somewhat a social outcast...
I don't see how one can be called a social outcast on the basis that they read comics, especially if you're Ian's age and grew up in a setting where they were much more common than today. You make it sound like he has the plague. A comic book reading adult in today's world is not all that unusual.

There's a judgmental air about those kinds of arguments I don't think I like. It's like looking down your nose at a 20 something that plays video games.
*shrug*

Morgus

Quote from: Agent : Orange on August 30, 2011, 10:58:27 PM
I feel sorry for you if you've never read a comic book. You're missing out big time. There's a lot of stuff that isn't geared toward children or the simplistic stories you might expect.
most of the big hollywood blockbuster movies nowadays are based on comic book characters too, and big comic con conventions are very popular all across the country with attendance of over 100,000 people at some of them.
Comics are definitely in the mainstream now, not just for little kids anymore.  ;D

BobGrau

Anyone commenting on an internet forum is automatically a nerd.

join us....

onan

Quote from: Agent : Orange on August 30, 2011, 10:58:27 PM
I don't see how one can be called a social outcast on the basis that they read comics, especially if you're Ian's age and grew up in a setting where they were much more common than today. You make it sound like he has the plague. A comic book reading adult in today's world is not all that unusual.

There's a judgmental air about those kinds of arguments I don't think I like. It's like looking down your nose at a 20 something that plays video games.
*shrug*

AO, you cannot win a subjective debate with one that makes over-generalized statements about one specific behavior (take this sentence as an example).

The actual personality type that is being tossed isn't "social outcast" but anomic. An anomic personality chooses to live an isolated life for any of a multitude of reasons... comic books being very low on the reason list.

You are right though, not reading comics is a loss. Not  huge one but a loss none-the-less. To that end, I think superman had more of an impact on my ideas of social responsibility than Jesus did.

Looking down one's nose is the first indicator that one is missing certain experiences in life.

I like Ian. At least he reads the GD book! And besides, he doesn`t suck like Noory

Quote from: mbrown on August 31, 2011, 09:11:54 AM
Wow what a reaction by two posters to the fact i do not read comic books.  I mean maybe mad magazine in 6th grade.  There are actual books out there you know.......not full of pictures and captions...but i guess some people need help with their imagination right up to adulthood. 
I don't see how you come to that conclusion. I never said comics are all I read by any stretch of the imagination. Just that if you haven't experienced reading through one, maybe you should hold back on judging how terrible they are. In the past twenty years they have come to be seen as an art form, as they should be.

But I suspect these words fall on deaf ears (blind eyes?).

It's not like i never saw one...i have seen them and have absolutely no interest so don't feel sorry for me...i was not attacking Ian...but comic books are for nerds. 
So?

Most of the stuff that you rely on in your day to day life was made by nerds. If you are not sitting at a desktop computer to write this right now, you're doing it on a handheld device, which is even nerdier.

I think it's telling that you throw around the word "nerd" as an insult.

I have never met another adult who openly admits to reading them unless you include Goober on andy griffith but to each is own.
Andy Griffiths, eh?

Your obvious lack of connection with the world outside, the wildly dated reference and abject xenophobia combine for a trifecta of lol

And one more point...this is a blog about being judgmental.
In fact, this isn't a blog at all.

Quote from: mbrown on August 31, 2011, 09:18:39 AM
Ok i am nerdy internet junky and a wonk...but i don't sit around and debate about how fictional creatures would invade the world...
The shame!

What do you debate about with your limitless imagination that does not require pictures or captions?

that was what we were discussing. zombies invading the planet and the zeal Ian and the professor were discussing it. 
The conversation just became more interesting in the direction it's moving, I think.

But by all means, enjoy your comics.
THE SHAME!

onan

Quote from: mbrown on August 31, 2011, 09:16:29 AM
THANK YOU DR. FREUD...would you like another cigar?

Bleh, you turned the phrase social outcast. You made the issue of "not sure you had ever read a comic book".  Perhaps your insinuation was meant to indicate some loss on your part. But it had a "smell me" kind of ring. If anyone deserved a pie in the face it was you. Sorry your never-read-a-comic-book-feelings got hurt.

And no thanks on the cigar... and that isn't a cigar... put it back.

Quote from: onan on August 31, 2011, 04:04:22 AM
AO, you cannot win a subjective debate with one that makes over-generalized statements about one specific behavior (take this sentence as an example).
Oh, I'm not trying to win it.

You are right though, not reading comics is a loss. Not  huge one but a loss none-the-less. To that end, I think superman had more of an impact on my ideas of social responsibility than Jesus did.
Plus, Superman went into space and collected trophies for his fortress of solitude. I've never heard that about Jesus.

Looking down one's nose is the first indicator that one is missing certain experiences in life.
Better said than I could manage.

Quote from: mbrown on August 31, 2011, 09:46:59 AM
You are quite full of your smug self...and the pop psychology is very funny.  maybe sNoory would have you on the show.
I didn't think I came off smug. Besides, you started it.

As for pop-psychology I don't think I said anything that required any imagination to see in the first place.

Especially not anything outside the scope of an imagination that doesn't require captions or pictures.

Quote from: mbrown on August 31, 2011, 09:53:34 AM
Someone else said social outcast.  I said Ian was a nerd.  I like Ian.  but when someone comes on here and begins to spout fake psychiatric labels....that is just too funny.  you might want to go back to your Psychology for dummies manual and look up "projection."  maybe it will help you better understand yourself.  lol.  keep up the good work Doctor.

Yeah, what a nerd for labeling people like that.

onan

Ian is a nerd.  he loves comic books..i mean i am his age but i am not sure i ever read a comic book.  not sure i even remember anyone else who read comic books other than mad magazine..but art is a nerd too..somewhat a social outcast...but that is not the point..who can entertain us for a few hours a night?  Punnett, sNoory and/or Bell...Choose two.  be my guest.

First off, I am not a doctor... but I did stay at a... oh wait... no I didn't.

You used the term.

I was going to trade more barbs, but what is the point? I think you are an idiot. You think I am a pompous projecting phony. We could go back and forth saying go fuck yourself in many variations. So consider this to infinity.

11angeleyes11

From a female perspective, love Ian, love comic books.  I had quite a collection and wish I would have held onto them.  I loved Superman, Batman, and all the rest.  I wanted to grow up and become Catwomen or Supergirl.  Wait, I just may posess those powers now. 

I have not read comic books for years, but just reading these comment made me want to go puruse the comics.

onan

Quote from: mbrown on August 31, 2011, 09:53:34 AM
fake psychiatric labels....that is just too funny. 

I know I should let this go. But, I hate being accused of false statements.
So here are a few written words on anomic personalities from a sociological, criminology, and psychological perspective.

Determinants of anomie: A cross-national study
By Ruohui Zhao, University of Nebraska at Omaha

Criminological Theories: Introduction, Evaluation, and Application , 4th Edition
by Ronald L. Akers and Christine S. Sellers

American Journal of Sociology
Vol. 83 No. 5 Mar., 1978
Black Ghetto Diversity and Anomie: A sociopolitical view.

BobGrau

Quote from: onan on August 31, 2011, 11:45:41 AM
I know I should let this go. But, I hate being accused of false statements.
So here are a few written words on anomic personalities from a sociological, criminology, and psychological perspective.

Determinants of anomie: A cross-national study
By Ruohui Zhao, University of Nebraska at Omaha

Criminological Theories: Introduction, Evaluation, and Application , 4th Edition
by Ronald L. Akers and Christine S. Sellers

American Journal of Sociology
Vol. 83 No. 5 Mar., 1978
Black Ghetto Diversity and Anomie: A sociopolitical view.

do these include pictures?

onan

Quote from: BobGrau on August 31, 2011, 12:18:59 PM
do these include pictures?

Thanks, that is exactly how this should end... best laugh in days.

Again thanks.

onan

Quote from: mbrown on August 31, 2011, 02:56:30 PM
I guess i should let it go...but citing sources does not make you an expert..and nobody makes a diagnosis without meeting the patient..now do we doctor?

refer to my infinity statement.

onan

Actually, assessments are done by more than doctors. And people conjecture about diagnoses all the time. A social outcast is one that is shunned for whatever the reason. Anomie is a sense of distance from the group. Lacking a sense of belonging.
It is my job to diagnose patients all the time. I do it day in and day out. So not only are you wrong on understanding diagnoses but you are wrong on your understanding on who can diagnose.

Like now, I am diagnosing you as a jerk. I have to place myself in the same category for involving myself in this.

We are not getting anywhere with a positive feeling. That is ok.

You started this shit with a better than thou "I-don't-sully-myself" approach.

Now you can choose to continue to trade barbs or you can realize we are not making anything better. up to you.

BobGrau

fiction is fiction, whether illustrated or not. we can learn a lot from discussing things that never happened and people who never existed. if you think about some of the storys you were told as a child, that is where a lot of our early education comes from.
some pop-science book I once read described the human race as pan narransis (something like that) - the storytelling ape.

Superhero fiction in particular can be fascinating from the point of view of 'what would YOU do if you had extra abilities and the power to change the world?'
I wish Ian hadn't gone on and on about superman's only weakness being kryptonite, because superman's ultimate weakness is actually his sense of responsibility. poor guy doesn't get a moment's rest. also - you try shaving everday when your stubble is invincible.

yes, it's not quite as serious a coast to coast subject as... um... bigfoot, ufos and ghosts...

onan

Quote from: mbrown on August 31, 2011, 03:29:20 PM
listen you self important jerk, I made a comment that Ian was a nerd and he would probably agree with me. AND an earlier poster brought up his love of comic books  to me.  I said he was a nerd but that was not meant to slam him.  BUT apparently a couple of posters are very insecure about their childish hobby of reading comic books they took offence.  So get off your high horse Dr. Brothers and if you want to see a jerk suggest you find a mirror!
I like my high horse fine. Your the one that has made incorrect statements. You are the one that is distancing himself from a better than thou attitude. Oh, wait you really didn't mean all that much by it...ok great neither did I or AO. I realize none of us can take back what has been said. But this song and dance has more than one partner. You do not get to stir the shit without getting some stink on yourself, and you stink a lot.