• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Transparency of Credentials and Qualifications of Guests

Started by RecoveringNoorholic, May 20, 2009, 02:58:32 PM

Is it just me or does anyone else feel C2CAM should be more forthcoming about the status of degrees held or claimed by some of their guests?

There are a number of excellent guests like Michio Kaku, Brian Weiss, Charles Tramont, etc. who have legitimate advanced degrees in various fields of scientific inquiry, etc. etc. 

More and more, though, it seems like "Dr. so-and-so" is going to be on discussing such-and-such and, during the show, is constantly referred to as "Dr. so-and-so" but a little off-air digging reveals "Dr. so-and-so" got his Ph.D. in crystal healing through a correspondence university in Mexico. Or, of course, the famous (infamous) "Sir" Charles Schultz ... (who was "knighted" by a Chinese businessman who bought a Scottish "barony" through an online auction - a fact never mentioned during his interviews; the listener's imagination is just left to assume Sir Charles was knighted by the Queen).

I don't have a problem with these people being on as guests but it seems like Noory, consummate newsman he is, should qualify their credentials in a more forthcoming way so the listener can actually make a distinction in credibility between some of the quite credible guests and the snake oil salesmen.

nika01

Not sure it matters. I know many phd's that cant find their ass with a flashlight.

Furthermore, the smart Phd's have know it all syndrome, like Dr. Kaku. All he does, for the most part, it engage in wild speculation that has just about zero to do with his educational background.

Kaku is qualified to comment on theoretical physics, and maybe other things as well.

Noory is qualified to clean toilets.... maybe.

the smart Phd's have know it all syndrome

I think that was the same argument made by the Visitors when they started rounding-up "the scientists" in "V"! Are you Dianna?

Not sure it matters.

I think the point is that if someone appears to be deliberately obscuring their credentials by taking pains not to mention the institution of their degree (where convention indicates you otherwise would), the method they received their titles if outside the norm, etc., one must naturally wonder what else is being obscured.

I have no problem with non-terminal degree guests or guests with unconventional terminal degrees who are forthcoming about the source of those degrees. Most of them are the most interesting. My issue is only with guests who claim degrees or titles that would conjure the image of a regime of training or education in the listener's mind that the guest never actually undertook; and with the show's reluctance to provide contextual background info during the guest's bio-read.

The areas C2C deals with are so niche and outside the norm that when you have guests like the above it lessens the seriousness of the subject matter and helps cast ridicule on "legit" guests doing serious inquiry into said subject areas by advancing the "nutcase stereotype."

Nboy

Quote from: RecoveringNoorholic on May 20, 2009, 02:58:32 PM
I don't have a problem with these people being on as guests but it seems like Noory, consummate newsman he is, should qualify their credentials in a more forthcoming way so the listener can actually make a distinction in credibility between some of the quite credible guests and the snake oil salesmen.

That would entail Noory and the rest of his knuckle dragging production crew to actually give a shit. Honestly, Noory is in the same boat as his quacks, his credentials aren't all that magnificent and he boves to beef them up so that they seem far more important than they are. Working in all that light has made him blind to his own and his guests' ineptitude. How can Noory really call his guests out on something that I think HE himself is guilty of. 

This isn't his show, he didn't build it. This is just a job to Noory. Sure, he likes to claim he loves it, that he'll never leave, etc.. This show was handed to him on a platter. There is no real connection between Noory and C2C. C2C is nothing more now than a venue for Noory to extoll the Cult of Noory onto the morons who do still listen. He doesn't give two shits about anything but pimping himself out and painting himself as a radio martyr, claiming he and his few lap dog disciples/guests preach the truth. Do not EVER allow yourself to believe you'll get anything out of Noory other than a few glossies and autographs, much less real journalism.

Art Bell was and is C2C. Always will be. Not that I hold Bell on some sort of mystical pedestal, the man had his flaws. However, he built the show from the ground up. Maybe I am wrong, but I do not ever remember Art using the show to push his own persona. His books, maybe; but not simply the 'idea' of Art.  The show should have died when Art retired in my opinion and the longer the shows continues, the more inclined I am to believe it is right. I finally stopped listening to C2C with any sort of regularity a few months ago. I used to turn the show on just to have something going on in the background while I worked; but at this point I had rather listen to my computer hum, or the electricity buzz in my lamp, or the air conditioning unit. There just isn't anything there anymore. Also, there was something about Art which we could relate to. Anyone who listened with any regularity knew he lived in a trailer out in the desert and that he did the show himself, FROM that trailer BY himself. No producers. Or Screeners. Or glitz and glamor. Just a man who loved radio in his double wide. You didn't hear about his vacations or his trips to seminars or his flights between L.A. and St. Louis or what shit assed D List movie star he bumped into at the Karaoke Bar. He talked about his cats. Really, thats all that really sticks out in my mind about his life that he talked about with any sort of regularity. His Cats.

Take for example, the night Bell superglued his mouth shut. He told us what he did as it happened. He laughed at himself. We shared in the experience. How do you think Noory would have handled it? He would have shit himself, cut to a commercial then demand Tommy to call 911 then come back the following night with his harrowing tale of the emergency room. And I guarantee you there would have been a clock somewhere with 11:11 on it and he would have bumped into Billy Gibbons and he may or may not have had seen an angel.

I kinda think Kaku is in the same boat really. He likes to talk, to be seen/heard talking. I used to tune into all of his shows to listen to his wild speculation. I enjoyed it. Informed specualtion, even to the Nth degree is better than the mindless drivel 99% of Norry's guests punch, but it appears that he is on a loop. I dont bother tuning in anymore. I get sick of hearing about invisibility. Always the same boring topics, the same possible outcomes. It seems to me that all scientists, upon reaching a certain point of notoriety, sort of start seeing themselves as the ambassadors of science, that its their jobs to preach the Gospel to the masses when they are doing nothing more than talking to talk. Dawkins a good example this. However, that sort of thing happens in any field. I only have any sort of expertise in Anthropology and Philosophy, and could sit here all day and list people in these two fields who fall into the same category.

Oh, and I apologize for the Bell nostalgia rant, wasn't my intention when I started writing this, the reply just sort of got away from me.

nika01

Quote from: Nboy on May 23, 2009, 06:43:10 AM
That would entail Noory and the rest of his knuckle dragging production crew to actually give a shit.

AMEN.

They dont give a shit. Laughing all the way to the bank.

While on the topic of credentialed guests, I heard most of Melvin Morse being interviewed. I generally agree with him, but what the hell was he on ? I couldnt decide whether he was drunk, high, or both. In spite of his message being pretty much spot on, he came across as a lunatic, unless you actually listened to him.

Quote from: nika01 on May 21, 2009, 05:11:05 PM
Kaku is qualified to comment on theoretical physics, and maybe other things as well.

HAHAHAHAHA xDDD

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: nika01 on May 21, 2009, 05:11:05 PM
but what about the newer, fancier ones with the electronic sensor?

EvB

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on May 26, 2009, 10:58:19 PM
but what about the newer, fancier ones with the electronic sensor?

He'd think it was a portal.

Only tangentaly related -

On Whitley Streiber's Dreamland this weekend he had the "scientist" who had an implant removed from him. I remember hearing Knapp interview Dr. Lear several months ago noting that one of Lear's surgeries was to remove an alien implant from a "respected scientist" and was intrigued by that. I don't usually listen to Dreamland but I saw that and had to check the podcast.

The anonymous scientist proceeds to tell a story about once being confronted by an alien wearing a blue "uniform" and carrying a "ray gun" that looked like it was out of "Star Trek." Even Streiber paused and was like "wow - I've never heard any abductee describe anything like that ... ever before" --- this guys story became less and less lucid as he continued.

Does this cast a pall over all Lear's implant removals? I've always had a little bit of a question since Lear is a podiatrist - a fact that is never heavily emphasize in interviews with him (rather the more generic "physician" is used). I used to be really intrigued by the implant removal thing but - between the podiatry thing and this - it's starting to fail the smell test.

EvB

QuoteDoes this cast a pall over all Lear's implant removals?

I think it casts a pall over Streiber, who loves sensation above - well - above most things I am aware of in his life.

11angeleyes11

Quote from: EvB on May 27, 2009, 12:51:14 PM
I think it casts a pall over Streiber, who loves sensation above - well - above most things I am aware of in his life.
Writing about Steiber, I listened to the show last night and heard him during the first hour.  Usually I really like Whitley and think he is good with guests, but he seemed irritable with several callers.  I don't know if he was just tired or if the calls were abrasive.  I did not really thing so myself, but that is my interpretation. 

QuoteI think that was the same argument made by the Visitors when they started rounding-up "the scientists" in "V"! Are you Dianna?

V was kickass!