• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Such an ART Moment!

Started by EvB, May 18, 2009, 12:33:21 AM

EvB

Art has this wonderful way of asking people "are you out of your fucking MIND!?"  And - it goes like this:

"Now -- I gotta ask you, Sir; was that smart?"

I just heard him say something like that - from the Philippines - clear as a Bell (pun intended)

It doesn't even matter what it was in response to - it's a classic question that stands on its own.

nika01

Quote from: EvB on May 18, 2009, 12:33:21 AM
Art has this wonderful way of asking people "are you out of your fucking MIND!?"  And - it goes like this:

"Now -- I gotta ask you, Sir; was that smart?"

I just heard him say something like that - from the Philippines - clear as a Bell (pun intended)

It doesn't even matter what it was in response to - it's a classic question that stands on its own.

I could say the same thing to Art about his stupid, uninformed comments about global warming. He went down several notches for me when he glibly agreed with the so called expert when he said the science was settled on global warming.
As much as I love his style, he is not a scientist, just a radio guy.

see http://www.globalwarmingheartland.org/ for even handed global warming info.

Frys Girl

So it doesn't matter that the polar ice caps have lost almost a dozen feet in depth, huh? It's just a "cycle". Good for Art for listening to scientists. Why does he "go down several notches" because he believes in the study of most academics? Global warming can be denied all the right wing wants. It doesn't really matter anyway, consider how much we have destroyed the water and wildlife already; might as well go out with a bang by pouring as much crap into the air too.

nika01

Quote from: Frys Girl on May 18, 2009, 09:50:55 AM
So it doesn't matter that the polar ice caps have lost almost a dozen feet in depth, huh? It's just a "cycle". Good for Art for listening to scientists. Why does he "go down several notches" because he believes in the study of most academics? Global warming can be denied all the right wing wants. It doesn't really matter anyway, consider how much we have destroyed the water and wildlife already; might as well go out with a bang by pouring as much crap into the air too.

Depends on who you believe. Obviously you have already  decided. I suggest that you research it from all the available information and just not Al Gore's crowd.

The scientist that Art was interviewing was not a weather scientist. Art isnt a scientist either, he is a radio talk show host. He isnt a deity, and most all that is on Coast to Coast is pure horse-shit. There are a very few guests that stick to their line of expertise that are worth listening to, but for the most part, it is all wild speculation. Makes fun radio, but it aint science.

There are plenty of weather scientists that dont buy into man made global warming. The science is not settled. I am not in favor of the incredible pollution that is happening, but, there is far more politics and big business involved in the man made global warming hoax than there is good science.

respectfully rebutting with my own carefully considered opinions.

Frys Girl

I love that science is political now. Not surprising. I also like to see the corporations and nations who benefit most from ignoring this stupid thing called the environment. Have you seen the Chevron lawsuit in South America? Classy people, indeed.

Again, to say that Art goes down some notches because of his understanding of what scientists have said (AND EVEN THE Friggin Bush ADMINistration agreed to in the end) is silly. It's not as though he said "sleeping with children is ok".

Now, what I wait for is politicizing UFO's. That'll be the day.... if we make it.

nika01

Quote from: Frys Girl on May 18, 2009, 12:16:03 PM
I love that science is political now. Not surprising. I also like to see the corporations and nations who benefit most from ignoring this stupid thing called the environment. Have you seen the Chevron lawsuit in South America? Classy people, indeed.

Again, to say that Art goes down some notches because of his understanding of what scientists have said (AND EVEN THE Friggin Bush ADMINistration agreed to in the end) is silly. It's not as though he said "sleeping with children is ok".

Now, what I wait for is politicizing UFO's. That'll be the day.... if we make it.

I am really trying to be nice here, so dont be offended.

Science is very political. Believe it or not, I am a scientist, and work for a major corporation here in the US. In the last 31 years of my employment I have seen untold numbers of instances where science has been interfered with by politics. I have also seen numerous occurrences of radio talk show hosts telling absolute fabrications and outright lies regarding the line of work I am in.

Just because you dont think it happens doesn't diminish the reality of its occurrence.

As I said once before Art is a radio talk show. The "scientists" that are on Coast to Coast often are out of their area of expertise when they get asked questions that are not their forte. It makes for good radio, but is not necessarily truth.

Skip on over to UFONAUT Radio, they talk about politics and UFO's all the time. It is the basis of their show.

Sorry for murdering the thread, but it started with Art questioning a callers mental aptitude and how cute that was. Well, it  cuts both ways, and I think I have said enough on the topic to prove my point, if to no one but myself.

EvB

QuoteSorry for murdering the thread

1) I'm not sure you DID murder the thread    AND

2) Thread anarchy is pretty much SOP here.  ;)

All that aside - I appreciate your input.  And yeah  -- it DOES cut both ways.  I'm a left-leaner, and yet still feel my gorge rise when I read some of the behind the scenes stuff re: An Inconvenient Truth. I despair of ever knowing what's what about ANYTHING - even some of what's right in front of my nose.

11angeleyes11

In one way the subject of UFO has been politicized.  That is by the way of disclosure.  Consider the fact that Steven Bassett is a lobbyist.  I feel he may be somewhat non-partisan and feels that whatever administration in power shoud disclosure, but the field of ufology does have its political slant, too. 

MV/Liberace!

(AND EVEN THE Friggin Bush ADMINistration agreed to in the end)
ahh, yes... the friggin bush administration; a paragon of conservative ideology.

please.

Frys Girl

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on May 19, 2009, 02:14:34 AM
ahh, yes... the friggin bush administration; a paragon of conservative ideology.

please.
I think their approach to the environment said it all. I also thank Bush for NOT selling the national park land here in DC to developers like he did elsewhere in this large vast beautiful country.

Again, we've (not just us here in the usa) have done a great job since the beginning of the 20th century to damage the environment at a rapid rate. It's only fitting that we finish the job right. It's just sad considering how far we've come.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Frys Girl on May 19, 2009, 07:05:45 AM
I think their approach to the environment said it all.
i'm not sure what that means. 
as i saw it, one of the huge failings of the bush administration was its acceptance of the premise behind 99% of the environmental sheep herding that we've seen in this country for decades.  his administration didn't debate the environmental zombies who are dominating this discussion or attempt to educate the american people on alternative scientific points of view.  bush merely offered throttled versions of textbook environmentalist solutions to scientifically arguable problems.  he was not a leader of any conservative movement, particularly as it pertains to this subject.

I also thank Bush for NOT selling the national park land here in DC to developers like he did elsewhere in this large vast beautiful country.
have you any idea of the massive amounts of acreage owned by the federal government?  data from the GSA suggests that the government owns 30 of every 100 acres in this country.  in nevada, they hold the deed to about 85% of all land.  alaska, 70%.  oh, wait, let's not forget the 57% in utah.  you said it yourself; large and vast.  the universe won't go kaboom if they do without a few acres.  personally, i'd like to see a little MORE development.  you can't have the much needed economic boom everybody purports themselves to desire in this country without some form of development.  also, the fact that somebody decided (often arbitrarily) to legislate a piece of land into a park doesn't mean it should be immune to future development.  the d-word isn't always a bad word, and we're one of the very few societies in the world who bother to develop in an environmentally conscious fashion (as we should).

Again, we've (not just us here in the usa) have done a great job since the beginning of the 20th century to damage the environment...
FG... you usually sound like a well traveled person who possesses an above average understanding of how things work outside of this country.  however, with the context in which your qualifier "not just here in the usa" was used, i have to question that.  it's as if you're saying the pollution caused by other countries is merely incidental. 

while we use more energy than any other country no matter how it's figured, we also do it in a more environmentally conscious fashion than anybody else.  the percentage of industrial productivity in this country for every kilowatt hour of electricity used is higher than that of any other industrialized society.  we don't allow corporations to pour toxic waste into rivers resulting in the deaths of hundreds of clueless villagers downstream, and if we catch somebody beaking those laws, we make them pay dearly for it.  our strict emission standards mean we don't have to require automobiles banned when one of our cities plays host to the olympics just so people are afforded the pleasure of being able to breathe.  we are experts at the clean extraction of fossil fuels from the earth.  we don't walk down the street throwing our trash onto the sidewalk with indifference.  we have a powerful EPA to whom unprecedented powers and dollars have been given in the name of protecting the environment.

my generation has been raised in this country behind a cloak of institutionalized self hatred pertaining to a number of subjects, not the least of which is our environmental standing in the world.  when any open observer travels outside this cloak, it becomes clear rather quickly just how clean we really are... hence my surprise at your use of the "not just here in the usa" qualifier, as if it were an informational bone that need be tossed.  i have never seen a greater disregard for clean air, water and soil than during my travels to the developing world.  returning home is something my lungs have been thrilled to do every time.  when traveling, i invariably become accustomed to littered sidewalks, streets, yards, and open fields.  i can drink only bottled water. 

i don't mean to suggest we don't pollute.  my point is merely to shine light on the fact that we are perhaps the most environmentally conscious society in the world, despite our consumption.  we care deeply about clean air, water and soil.  we demonstrate it on a daily basis.  if one travels to nearly ANY developing nation, it becomes evident very quickly just how clean we really are.  i'm baffled by anybody who isn't struck by that realization.

UFONAUTRADIO

Kids,

We did launch UFONAUT again last week on PSN Radio. Please feel free to join us every Monday night @ 9PM

Archives are also free.

-Jesse