Author Topic: What is in my Father's notebook?  (Read 5419 times)

Re: My Father's Ship - The Lost Artifacts
« Reply #390 on: February 25, 2019, 10:24:15 PM »
[size=78%]Going up for a few weeks into the belly of the beast again. Haha. Plan to check out the "new"  air n space museum out in Virginny.want to see Blackbird etc. Hear it is really nice. I recall someone (Birtchers? LaRouche?)  once gave away a little card so as you could ID embasy cars by license plates. Good stuff.[/size]

So you will be up in Northern Virgina then?

« Reply #391 on: February 25, 2019, 10:28:02 PM »

Those WWII a/c recognition manuals are fairly common, here one for sale currently on eBay.

ebay.com/itm/1943-WWII-Airplane-Recognition-Manual-FM-30-30-US-England-Germany-Japan-Aircraft-/283389993538?redirect=mobile

Autogyros, maybe?   They were used by most of the warring nations in WWII, although not in actual combat.

Thanks for the link Duke.  That isn't it. There is one on eBay that has a similar cover but isn't it.  It is much thin.  Dad's
was quite thick.  I'm positive it referred to those devices as a Gyrocopter but that picture is them.  I guess maybe just a
different name for a proto helicopter?

Re: What is in my Father's notebook? Page 59
« Reply #392 on: February 25, 2019, 10:31:38 PM »
The run on smoke.  When you let the smoke out they do not work any more.   ;D

Public service message. In these times one must take care. A simple search for thing like tranny trouble or smoking tranny even with truck specs apparently derives some results not wanted. Clear cache also after said search lest your mechaical hobby is misunderstood.

« Reply #393 on: February 25, 2019, 10:39:57 PM »
So you will be up in Northern Virgina then?

On the MD side but plan to check out that "new" museum there. Never seen it, Gonna try to see the new Indian one also. Apparently lotsa of corn involved. Serously, I was told that. I might need a stiff drink at the Willard after that. Love that place.

« Reply #394 on: February 25, 2019, 10:43:31 PM »

On the MD side but plan to check out that "new" museum there. Never seen it, Gonna try to see the new Indian one also. Apparently lotsa of corn involved. Serously, I was told that. I might need a stiff drink at the Willard after that. Love that place.

I'll send you a PM tomorrow with something to check out if you happen to end up nearby and have the time.
You might find it interesting.   ;)

« Reply #395 on: February 25, 2019, 10:55:35 PM »
I'll send you a PM tomorrow with something to check out if you happen to end up nearby and have the time.
You might find it interesting.   ;)

Nice. Will look into.  Nothing beat finding a brown envelope at the, now removed, white citzens council momument in NOLA. Bizarre. Was several Xeroes of some guys id. Hispanic/Cuban even. A weird event, wished I kept it now,Mardi Gras early 90s. Unfortunate early AM walking home n saw said item. Had to climb/reach to get. Suffice.it to say I broke some operation amd saved our land. Haha.

What is in my Father's notebook? Page 60
« Reply #396 on: February 28, 2019, 07:56:44 PM »
Page 60 is a mechanical drawing of what I think should be an Inertia Starting Gear although it's labeled Inertia Stating Gear

Poking around, I've found this diagram on the Mark XV torpedo and I think the gear drawn lives in the upper right corner.

Page 60

What is in my Father's notebook? Page 61
« Reply #397 on: March 01, 2019, 11:02:07 PM »
Page 61 is a mechanical drawing entitled Fuel Spray complete with a fuel whirl.

Page 61

My Father's Ship
« Reply #398 on: March 01, 2019, 11:19:59 PM »
Some of the Benson/Gleaves Class Destroyers were armed with an Anti-Submarine Weapon called Mousetrap.   This was the little
brother to the Hedgehog mentioned earlier. 

The concept was the same - they were rockets that were thrown out in front of the Destroyer and would explode when they made contact with the targeted Submarine.   They were not as effective as the Hedgehog and well - they could be downright dangerous.  USS Turner (DD-648) was lost due to a Mousetrap.

USS Turner in happy times

Death of the USS Turner

It is a sad but interesting tale as it involved the first rescue
mission flown by a US helicopter.

Mousetrap

Re: What is in my Father's notebook?
« Reply #399 on: March 05, 2019, 07:15:10 PM »
Thread is on another little hiatus for awhile - busy with work.