Author Topic: Convert Cassette Tapes to MP3  (Read 64 times)

Convert Cassette Tapes to MP3
« on: June 30, 2018, 10:32:25 PM »
What is easiest, best way. I have an old laptop running Linux Mint and have Audacity but never used via a "line in". Is that program the easiest way, assuming I figure that out? Or is there a better program? Want to get some old cassettes into MP3. Audio not music. Not  forgotten Art, sadly, but some family interviews from old folks decades ago. They are not stereo and I figure I'm not going to try to adjust audio etc but would like, if easy, to have 'tracks' not the whole tape on one file. But could live with it. I also figure that the tape player (one player) would have to play at normal speed?

Re: Convert Cassette Tapes to MP3
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 11:24:43 PM »
I used Audacity on an older PC with line in to convert some old live stuff I had on cassette (King Biscuit/Midnight Special/etc).  Before that, it was a program called disk ogg or something like that.  I remember having to fiddle with it quite a bit at first, but once I got the hang of it, it went fairly smoothly. There might be better/easier ways but I used what I had. If you start using it and have questions, drop a line.  Been a while since I used it but it might come back to me. Good luck!

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 11:34:23 PM »
You can cut tracks using Audacity and yes, your tape player will run at normal speed and recording will happen in real time.

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 11:43:48 PM »
You can cut tracks using Audacity and yes, your tape player will run at normal speed and recording will happen in real time.

Thank you. I'll try it out. In some ways, sorta, don't wanna listen (hear me young and dead folks I miss) and thought outsource but, then again, don't wanna lose them in mailing or some scam. But want to archive.

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 11:47:51 PM »

Thank you. I'll try it out. In some ways, sorta, don't wanna listen (hear me young and dead folks I miss) and thought outsource but, then again, don't wanna lose them in mailing or some scam. But want to archive.

I understand. I've still got a few tapes with funeral services and memorial stuff on them that I didn't convert, but probably should.

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 12:01:32 AM »
I understand. I've still got a few tapes with funeral services and memorial stuff on them that I didn't convert, but probably should.

Yeah. Got a bug for some reason and recorded "old folks" and family reunions or when in the hospital or just on property. When I got a tape recorder and thought the coolest thing. Could record radio, friends, and stuff and be "reporter"

. Now gonna convert but I sound dumb kid. But some good stuff on others, that I didnt realize good history. Random old guy talking, cut me off, when I wanted details,about   Normandy or relative on a Jap prison ship that WE bombed[/size]

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 12:04:08 AM »

I have worked a job for an older songwriter using Audacity to bulk record jams, rehearsals and doodling... 

I'm not completely enamored with it but it is free and it's OK for straight recordings.  I hate to edit with it.  I'd recommend Acoustica Mixcraft as it has really solid beat sensing and tools to add overdubs, stretch/compress time, correct pitch and, along with included ones, the ability to add VST effects (like broadcast compression) tools and instruments. Its pricing is very modest.

Clean the deck, get as much signal into the computer without distortion and KEEP LOGS. On the main tape dump,
Note the song names and times!  My client was like, "Just dump it." My logs were almost immediately utilized when I asked him who the singer was on a demo from hours earlier...  He found the track, burned it to CD and sent it to the guy 🙂

Yeah. Got a bug for some reason and recorded "old folks" and family reunions or when in the hospital or just on property. When I got a tape recorder and thought the coolest thing. Could record radio, friends, and stuff and be "reporter"

. Now gonna convert but I sound dumb kid. But some good stuff on others, that I didnt realize good history. Random old guy talking, cut me off, when I wanted details,about   Normandy or relative on a Jap prison ship that WE bombed[/size]

Simon and Garfunkel did the very same thing on "Bookends." 1967, I think.