Author Topic: Bouts with Insomnia, OCD & Other Afflictions  (Read 287 times)

Re: Bouts with Insomnia, OCD & Other Afflictions
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2018, 08:19:35 PM »
You could spend an hour or two just reading on CBD--it's all the rage in Paris these days
My friend Ralph vapes it routinely.
--but I'll cut you to the chase on the elderberries. I've read that a compound found in the extract coats virus particles, and inhibits their reproduction.
Too late in the course of the disease for that to matter now.

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2018, 08:42:43 PM »
BORING! ::)

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2018, 10:52:18 PM »
Fri. I staggered into my PCP's, amazed that my O2 saturation measured there was 98% because I was gasping for breath.  He did what I hoped -- called an ambulance for the ED -- and they did what I hoped -- cardioversion (after bringing down my HR a bit w diltiazem) -- & sent me on my way.

So I was in NSR again, but still vy weak & w much orthopnea.  I'd put on wt., & needed to blow off the water & Na I'd put on from the prednisone & fluticasone.  Been working on that ever since.  I feel a little stronger every time I come out of the bathroom.  Frank Starling's Law in action.  Furosemide helps.

Don't know when I'll recover feeling in the part of my left hand where apparently the zoster reactivated.

In retrospect, the time to switch from respiratory to cardiac care would've been when the rhonchi went away.

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2018, 01:21:46 AM »
Different class of drug.No, it does not thicken blood.  It does not change its rheology.  It does incur a stroke risk because of turbulence in the atria leading to clot formation.  That's why I've been on the anticoagulant Eliquis since my 1st episode of A fib in 2015.Just makes me weak & unsteady.
Thanks for the info about that.
Fri. I staggered into my PCP's, amazed that my O2 saturation measured there was 98% because I was gasping for breath.  He did what I hoped -- called an ambulance for the ED -- and they did what I hoped -- cardioversion (after bringing down my HR a bit w diltiazem) -- & sent me on my way.

So I was in NSR again, but still vy weak & w much orthopnea.  I'd put on wt., & needed to blow off the water & Na I'd put on from the prednisone & fluticasone.  Been working on that ever since.  I feel a little stronger every time I come out of the bathroom.  Frank Starling's Law in action.  Furosemide helps.

Don't know when I'll recover feeling in the part of my left hand where apparently the zoster reactivated.

In retrospect, the time to switch from respiratory to cardiac care would've been when the rhonchi went away.
I didnt quite follow the med terms yet.  But sounds like an ordeal.  Im sure you know, if you're in tbe states, that paramedics will be happy to come to you, wherever you are, if gasping is happening.  Glad you got treated, Robert!

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2018, 12:24:22 PM »
Thanks for the info about that.I didnt quite follow the med terms yet.  But sounds like an ordeal.
It has been.  I'll explain.

The respiratory infection was treated with anti-inflammatory steroid drugs: prednisone & fluticasone.  Such drugs have in various mixure certain undesired effects: glucocorticoid (raising blood sugar) and mineralocorticoid (causing retention of water & sodium).  It was the latter that was my problem.  Even after I finished the course of such drugs, I had an accumulation of fluid that was straining my heart, and my heart was out of rhythm.

The circulatory system can be viewed as partly like a balloon.  It has the capacity to expand.  So it did, and it accommodated the expansion w less & less efficiency.  What happens now is the balloon snaps back to normal size, getting rid of the excess in urine at the rate feasible; my heart's already been shocked back to normal rhythm.  It's going to take a while longer to get rid of all the excess water & sodium, but I've made a good start.  See here for more detail.

It would've saved me about a week of trouble if I'd recognized the point at which antiinflammatory treatment stopped being useful, and where the breathing difficulty was from heart rather than lung trouble.  Actually it'd've saved me more than a week of trouble, because I wouldn't've gotten this sick.

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2018, 04:47:08 PM »
It has been.  I'll explain.

The respiratory infection was treated with anti-inflammatory steroid drugs: prednisone & fluticasone.  Such drugs have in various mixure certain undesired effects: glucocorticoid (raising blood sugar) and mineralocorticoid (causing retention of water & sodium).  It was the latter that was my problem.  Even after I finished the course of such drugs, I had an accumulation of fluid that was straining my heart, and my heart was out of rhythm.

The circulatory system can be viewed as partly like a balloon.  It has the capacity to expand.  So it did, and it accommodated the expansion w less & less efficiency.  What happens now is the balloon snaps back to normal size, getting rid of the excess in urine at the rate feasible; my heart's already been shocked back to normal rhythm.  It's going to take a while longer to get rid of all the excess water & sodium, but I've made a good start.  See here for more detail.

It would've saved me about a week of trouble if I'd recognized the point at which antiinflammatory treatment stopped being useful, and where the breathing difficulty was from heart rather than lung trouble.  Actually it'd've saved me more than a week of trouble, because I wouldn't've gotten this sick.
Doctors often forget the heart can be a breathing issue, especially in younger people.  They say go home your lungs are fine.  It's good you figured it out!  I read the link, interesting how heart muscle (and all muscle) works with different fibers.  Glad you are recovering!