Author Missing Submarine  (Read 1928 times)

Missing Submarine
« on: November 21, 2017, 06:22:40 PM »
Argentinean sub still missing and now experts are saying oxygen will be running out soon. I hope the situation resolves itself, cue "For Those In Peril On The Sea," and the sailors are rescued or can escape.
http://wqad.com/2017/11/21/argentina-missing-sub-could-be-out-of-oxygen-soon/
Their Navy can't find it and our Navy and others are helping to try to find. I know the ocean is vast but it is still weird how, with all our technology and trillion-dollar defense budgets, we can "lose contact" and not find things like submarines and planes. And what happened to the boat? Accident? Sunk? Defected?

Re: Missing Submarine
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 06:25:46 PM »

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 06:27:46 PM »
Argentinean sub still missing and now experts are saying oxygen will be running out soon. I hope the situation resolves itself, cue "For Those In Peril On The Sea," and the sailors are rescued or can escape.
http://wqad.com/2017/11/21/argentina-missing-sub-could-be-out-of-oxygen-soon/
Their Navy can't find it and our Navy and others are helping to try to find. I know the ocean is vast but it is still weird how, with all our technology and trillion-dollar defense budgets, we can "lose contact" and not find things like submarines and planes. And what happened to the boat? Accident? Sunk? Defected?
The Hunt For Red October?

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 06:31:00 PM »
The Hunt For Red October?

Das Boot.  Best submarine mover ever.

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 06:33:31 PM »
I've been on a submarine.

When I was a little girl, my uncle, Captain Ken Nauman, was stationed at the Coronado Naval Base in California.
My mother, grandma, and I were there for a family visit and Uncle Ken took us on a tour of the submarine under his command.  That was FUN! ;D

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 06:35:44 PM »
I've been on a submarine.

When I was a little girl, my uncle, Captain Ken Nauman, was stationed at the Coronado Naval Base in California.
My mother, grandma, and I were there for a family visit and Uncle Ken took us on a tour of the submarine under his command.  That was FUN! ;D

You lucky duck! Cool!  8)

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 06:38:47 PM »
Good, yes, but hard to watch.  I think it was made in the 1930s.  Movies at that time were all B/W and usually a little choppy.  The sound was hard to hear too, even when my ears were young.  The premise, however, was excellent.

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 06:42:20 PM »
Hadn't heard about this - very sad to hear.

My favorite Submarine movie is The Enemy Below although half of the scenes involve a destroyer on the surface as well.
Bob Mitchum vs Curt Jurgens

Little bit biased as my Dad served on a Destroyer in WWII - this finger scene always made him cringe.

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 06:48:22 PM »
Good, yes, but hard to watch.  I think it was made in the 1930s.  Movies at that time were all B/W and usually a little choppy.  The sound was hard to hear too, even when my ears were young.  The premise, however, was excellent.

No, 1980's.  You must be thinking of something else.

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 06:49:21 PM »
Hadn't heard about this - very sad to hear.

My favorite Submarine movie is The Enemy Below although half of the scenes involve a destroyer on the surface as well.
Bob Mitchum vs Curt Jurgens

Little bit biased as my Dad served on a Destroyer in WWII - this finger scene always made him cringe.

That is probably second best for me then Hunt would be 3rd.

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 06:52:06 PM »
Excellent film from the early sound era is Devil and the Deep with Charles Laughton, Gary Cooper and Cary Grant.  Only the climax takes place on a submarine.

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 06:53:27 PM »
No, 1980's.
"Das Boot" is one of the few movies that I think is better when they rereleased to the theaters with surround sound audio etc but also one of those with various "versions" depending on year, theater, or tv- with some large length differences. Apparently they are remaking it into a tv show on Sky.

"Run Silent, Run Deep" was pretty good as I recall but haven't seen in forever.

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 06:54:41 PM »
"Das Boot" is one of the few movies that I think is better when they rereleased to the theaters with surround sound audio etc but also one of those with various "versions" depending on year, theater, or tv- with some large length differences. Apparently they are remaking it into a tv show on Sky.

First saw it in high school and was immediately enthralled.  Have watched it since and still great.

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 06:54:44 PM »
Yes, it is sad.  I hope and pray they find the crew alive and in good health.
At least they know where they were last seen or heard from.
I agree with you, Albrecht, that with the advanced technology we have today, it shouldn't be that hard to locate them.

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 06:56:40 PM »

That is probably second best for me then Hunt would be 3rd.

Yeah - Hunt's probably #3 for me too.  Although Run Silent Run Deep is probably a close 4th - not that it's a great film but the
protagonist is called the cool name of Bungo Pete...........

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 06:57:49 PM »
You can watch this free on YouTube. ;)

Why do that when I have the dvd?  ;)

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 06:58:31 PM »
Yeah - Hunt's probably #3 for me too.  Although Run Silent Run Deep is probably a close 4th - not that it's a great film but the

And Don Rickles debut in a serious role!

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 06:58:59 PM »

Yeah,  that is a good one but liked the others better.  Probably put it at 5 behind Devil and The Deep.

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 07:00:33 PM »
Yeah,  that is a good one but liked the others better.  Probably put it at 5 behind Devil and The Deep.

I'll have to look for that one - I've never seen it.  Laughton is pretty awesome.

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 07:00:36 PM »
Well, ya see, I didn't know that! :o    ;D

BTW, who is that guy in your avatar? 

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 07:01:52 PM »
That's one helluva movie.

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 07:04:16 PM »
I'll have to look for that one - I've never seen it.  Laughton is pretty awesome.

Here ya go. ;)

With Tallulah Bankhead, Gary Cooper, and Cary Grant.
And introducing, Charles Laughton.

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2017, 07:05:03 PM »
Well, ya see, I didn't know that! :o    ;D

BTW, who is that guy in your avatar?

I'm wondering if it is the Father or the Son?    I'm not sure without cheating.............

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2017, 07:06:01 PM »
That's one helluva movie.

I didn't know it was re-made.  I'll have to find it and watch the newer one now.

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2017, 07:07:41 PM »
I'm wondering if it is the Father or the Son?    I'm not sure without cheating.............
Oops. :-[   Sorry Walks.  That question was meant for 21st.  My bad. :-[ :-[ :-[

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2017, 07:09:01 PM »

Hey, 21st.  Who is that guy in your avatar?

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2017, 07:10:31 PM »
Oops. :-[   Sorry Walks.  That question was meant for 21st.  My bad. :-[ :-[ :-[

No - not your bad.   I'm thinking I know who it is but there's a Dad and a Son that look alike.  Not sure which one it is but don't want to cheat
with image search...............     8)

I'll guess it's the Son

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2017, 07:18:17 PM »
Here ya go. ;)

I started playing this to get the cast names.  Think I'll keep watching.  Good stuff. ;) ;D

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2017, 07:20:10 PM »
No - not your bad.   I'm thinking I know who it is but there's a Dad and a Son that look alike.  Not sure which one it is but don't want to cheat
with image search...............     8)

I'll guess it's the Son
Your avatar reminds me of a poster for the Exorcist, but I don't think it is.

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2017, 07:21:39 PM »
Here ya go. ;)

Wow, that is quite a great cast!!

Btw, as far as I know "Das Boot" wasn't remade but modified/released by different cuts depending on where/how shown and format (and improving audio channels) but I just saw on interwebs that they plan to remake it as a tv show or mini-series on Sky but I don't have any details.