Author Bellgabs Automobile, Truck and Bike Thread  (Read 100 times)

Bellgabs Automobile, Truck and Bike Thread
« on: November 13, 2017, 11:27:41 AM »
I just saw that Dr MDMD had a sked me a question about the car that I had pictured in the Celkebrity death thread, so instead of clogging up the other thread, post all your experiences with cars/trucks and bikes here. Anything and everything, memories old and new are welcomed here.

Rolling into the local A&W in the '57 Chev with all the windows rolled down, hardtoppin' as they say, with Fats blasting away in the background.

Wow RIP Fats, your music will live forever at all the classic car shows I attend.

peace
Hog

Is that really yours, Hog? It looks like a perfect example of a 56/57? Bel Aire.  Drool :P
Mine looks exactly like that Doc, its a 1957 Chev Sports Coupe(2 door hardtop) in Tropical Turquoise.  I posted that pic as all my pics are FUBAR because of the Photobucket issue.  The only difference is that my car has is all turquoise while the pictured car has a White top IIRC.
The 57s are the ones with those specific fins.  If the car has a V8 engine and is a BellAir model, the Vee on the front of the hood will be present and will be Gold in colour.
My car was selected by GM for the 1996 Chevy Cavalier commercial which was shown as a 15 second spot during the Superbowl.
It was also selected from UK/Europe and North America for the 1997 Snap On Tools Calendar.

It's highest score out of 1000 possible points was 993, anything 970+ points receives a "Platinum Certificate".  While people who aren't into cars may think, well its not a perfect example missing 7 points, and it's not.  Though 100% factory original, with correct numbers matching engine trans etc(driveline) it is a "driven class" car.  When I say driven, it regularly got "longest drive" awards for the shows it attended.  I remember people would enter their cars in the driven class, then drive their truck/trailer to the local hotel and unload their "trailer queen", then drive it the 3 miles to the show.  It was very satisfying to take my car which had just had 1700 miles of freeway driving put on it, compete directly against a guy who is entering a trailer queen in my class, and I still beat him by 100 judged points.

Dad brought the car home form the Southern States, which are known for no rust, but interiors and all rubber/weatherstripping will be shot. But you are after the solid body.  A guy had started a frame off restoration and had the frame all nicely painted black on a chassis rotisserie(literally allows you to turn the car around like a BBQ rotisserie) he then put all the original body back on the car and sold it.  The engine was in the back seat, the transmission in the front seat, the body was in many different colours, but she was complete and all the numbers matched. That was 1991. Over the next couple of years, Dad and I worked on that car.  Mom and Dad would go on vacations to the USA and buy NOS parts(New Old Stock) NOS parts are parts that were made by the OEM(Original Equipment Manufacturer) suppliers for use by GM to build their cars on the assembly line.  Typically NOS parts are more difficult and certainly more expensive to buy, but they are preferable to a Remanufactured or "Re-pop" part which is a modern "copy" of the parts.  Ive got about 6 pairs of the stainless steel inserts that fill in the outside of the rear fins. Some are reproductions and some are NOS, only NOS parts are used on this car. Right down to the correct headlights and the correct "Tar-top" Delco 12 volt battery.  Obviously parts like the battery is reproduced as they went out of production about 50 years ago.  The outside parts are OEM and the reman company puts new lead plates and new acid in the original cases. Those tar top batteries are about US$300 each.
The tires on the car are reproduced by a company called Coker Tires.  Coker makes a perfect reproduction of the bias ply tires that came on the cars, 1957 went back to 14" rims while the 1956's used 15" rims. Chev was trying to give the 57s a lower profile look, so they went back to a 14" rim/tire. Anyhoo, the tires of the day were BF Goodrich bias ply tires. Anyone around back then will remember that bias ply tire make any car ride like a lumberwagon and have a bad propensity of following imperfections in the road surface.  After the judging body allowed for the change from requiring Bias Ply tires, to allowing for reproduction tires in the newer and much more safe Radial tire technology, Coker tire came out with the reproduction BF Goodrich "Silvertown" tires.

Prior to the sanctioning body changing the rules allowing for radial tire reproductions, the car would be deducted "X" amount of points for each tire that was NOT an original design bias ply tire.

I remember wet sanding that car with 2000 grit paper.  The paint was so smooth it looked like there was a few layers of clear coat on it, when their wasn't.  Just so people understand 2000 grit "sandpaper".  It doesn't feel like sand paper anymore, it actually feels like a soft velvet.  There are actually 2000 pieces of "grit" bonded to the "paper".  And because the high spots of the paint that you are removing are so very fine, you must use a waterhose with the spigot set at a very light "trickle" so that those tiny paint particles flush out of the sandpaper instead of staying in it and binding it up.
Before painting my buddy would spray a very fine coat of reddish primer on the entire car. This would "mark" the high areas of the "orange peel" of the body work coats that are applied before the paint.  We would then go in and hand sand all that reddish primer off, which would leave an absolutely smooth surface.

Orange peel

Here is the Classic Chevy Internationals(CCI) points Certificates.
970-1000 points for a Platinum Certificate
949-969 points for a Gold Certificate
900-949 points for a Silver Certificate
850-899 for a Bronze Certificate

Well I has a whole shit load more, but somehow it was all lost.

peace
Hog

Re: Bellgabs Automobile, Truck and Bike Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 08:00:09 PM »
we had 4 of these roll into work one day. the people said they are 1950-51 citroens, less than 2000 were produced over the 2 year period worldwide, and they estimate less than 100 are in operable condition today worldwide, let alone in prime (other than the stickers, ugg) condition as shown here.
here are 4:

and no that is not primer gray, it is painted gray ,then clear coated (might be original color?) 

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 09:57:04 PM »
I just saw that Dr MDMD had a sked me a question about the car that I had pictured in the Celkebrity death thread, so instead of clogging up the other thread, post all your experiences with cars/trucks and bikes here. Anything and everything, memories old and new are welcomed here.

Mine looks exactly like that Doc, its a 1957 Chev Sports Coupe(2 door hardtop) in Tropical Turquoise.  I posted that pic as all my pics are FUBAR because of the Photobucket issue.  The only difference is that my car has is all turquoise while the pictured car has a White top IIRC.
The 57s are the ones with those specific fins.  If the car has a V8 engine and is a BellAir model, the Vee on the front of the hood will be present and will be Gold in colour.
My car was selected by GM for the 1996 Chevy Cavalier commercial which was shown as a 15 second spot during the Superbowl.
It was also selected from UK/Europe and North America for the 1997 Snap On Tools Calendar.

It's highest score out of 1000 possible points was 993, anything 970+ points receives a "Platinum Certificate".  While people who aren't into cars may think, well its not a perfect example missing 7 points, and it's not.  Though 100% factory original, with correct numbers matching engine trans etc(driveline) it is a "driven class" car.  When I say driven, it regularly got "longest drive" awards for the shows it attended.  I remember people would enter their cars in the driven class, then drive their truck/trailer to the local hotel and unload their "trailer queen", then drive it the 3 miles to the show.  It was very satisfying to take my car which had just had 1700 miles of freeway driving put on it, compete directly against a guy who is entering a trailer queen in my class, and I still beat him by 100 judged points.

Dad brought the car home form the Southern States, which are known for no rust, but interiors and all rubber/weatherstripping will be shot. But you are after the solid body.  A guy had started a frame off restoration and had the frame all nicely painted black on a chassis rotisserie(literally allows you to turn the car around like a BBQ rotisserie) he then put all the original body back on the car and sold it.  The engine was in the back seat, the transmission in the front seat, the body was in many different colours, but she was complete and all the numbers matched. That was 1991. Over the next couple of years, Dad and I worked on that car.  Mom and Dad would go on vacations to the USA and buy NOS parts(New Old Stock) NOS parts are parts that were made by the OEM(Original Equipment Manufacturer) suppliers for use by GM to build their cars on the assembly line.  Typically NOS parts are more difficult and certainly more expensive to buy, but they are preferable to a Remanufactured or "Re-pop" part which is a modern "copy" of the parts.  Ive got about 6 pairs of the stainless steel inserts that fill in the outside of the rear fins. Some are reproductions and some are NOS, only NOS parts are used on this car. Right down to the correct headlights and the correct "Tar-top" Delco 12 volt battery.  Obviously parts like the battery is reproduced as they went out of production about 50 years ago.  The outside parts are OEM and the reman company puts new lead plates and new acid in the original cases. Those tar top batteries are about US$300 each.
The tires on the car are reproduced by a company called Coker Tires.  Coker makes a perfect reproduction of the bias ply tires that came on the cars, 1957 went back to 14" rims while the 1956's used 15" rims. Chev was trying to give the 57s a lower profile look, so they went back to a 14" rim/tire. Anyhoo, the tires of the day were BF Goodrich bias ply tires. Anyone around back then will remember that bias ply tire make any car ride like a lumberwagon and have a bad propensity of following imperfections in the road surface.  After the judging body allowed for the change from requiring Bias Ply tires, to allowing for reproduction tires in the newer and much more safe Radial tire technology, Coker tire came out with the reproduction BF Goodrich "Silvertown" tires.

Prior to the sanctioning body changing the rules allowing for radial tire reproductions, the car would be deducted "X" amount of points for each tire that was NOT an original design bias ply tire.

I remember wet sanding that car with 2000 grit paper.  The paint was so smooth it looked like there was a few layers of clear coat on it, when their wasn't.  Just so people understand 2000 grit "sandpaper".  It doesn't feel like sand paper anymore, it actually feels like a soft velvet.  There are actually 2000 pieces of "grit" bonded to the "paper".  And because the high spots of the paint that you are removing are so very fine, you must use a waterhose with the spigot set at a very light "trickle" so that those tiny paint particles flush out of the sandpaper instead of staying in it and binding it up.
Before painting my buddy would spray a very fine coat of reddish primer on the entire car. This would "mark" the high areas of the "orange peel" of the body work coats that are applied before the paint.  We would then go in and hand sand all that reddish primer off, which would leave an absolutely smooth surface.

Orange peel

Here is the Classic Chevy Internationals(CCI) points Certificates.
970-1000 points for a Platinum Certificate
949-969 points for a Gold Certificate
900-949 points for a Silver Certificate
850-899 for a Bronze Certificate

Well I has a whole shit load more, but somehow it was all lost.

peace
Hog

Cool! I always loved that model/year. I had a friend from Southern Ontario who did frame off restorations of classic cars. I lost touch with him years ago but the last thing I remember him working on was a 56' Chevy Nomad (black). It was always interesting watching him work or explaining what he was doing and why. So, do you have others or just the cherry Chevy?

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 09:07:51 PM »
Bring back butterfly windows and lever operated floor vents. Why not? They were awesome and allows cooling off without severe wind, or worse, weird suction effects and wind/road noise from open windows, in hot times and/or before A/C can kick in a deal with the heated cabin. And in nice weather allows cooling and ventilation without being buffeted by high winds with an open window.

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 09:48:45 PM »
Bring back butterfly windows and lever operated floor vents. Why not? They were awesome and allows cooling off without severe wind, or worse, weird suction effects and wind/road noise from open windows, in hot times and/or before A/C can kick in a deal with the heated cabin. And in nice weather allows cooling and ventilation without being buffeted by high winds with an open window.
and the foot switch the floor so you can switch to high-beams with your foot.

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 12:33:54 AM »
and the foot switch the floor so you can switch to high-beams with your foot.

Remember the city horn and the country horn?