Author The Spaceflight Thread  (Read 551 times)

Re: The Spaceflight Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2017, 11:05:16 AM »

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2017, 02:09:07 PM »
Here is Boeings new Crew Vehicle named Starliner, which will soon deliver Astronauts to and from the ISS. This is one of two selected vehicles, the other is the Space Exploration Drangon-2 which will be launched via their Falcon rocket.

These 2 vehicles will finally rid ourselves of reliance on Russian spacecraft with the pricetag of US$77 million per seat.  The day the Shuttle was retired, the price of Soyuz seats to ISS magically doubled in price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=84&v=kLPiSapL33Y

Both vehicles are funded under the NASA Commercial Crew Program(CCP).  This is a similar commercial program that supplies ISS from US soil. The Commercial Resupply Service has been operating for years now.  Space Xs Dragon craft and Falcon 9 rocket which launches from Cape Canaveral AirForce Station Space Launch Complex 40 is used as well as the Orbital Sciences Cygnus craft and Antares rockets launch from Wallops in West Virginia.

So far Space X has been contracted for 20 resupply missions and Orbital for 10.  There is still the Russian Progress resupply vehicle, the European Space Agency's Automated Transfer Vehicle, Japan JAXA offers up its H-II Transfer Vehicle (HTV), also called Kounotori.  While Canadas CANADARM-2, the mobile base system, and DEXTRE(Special Purpose Dexterous Manipulator) are our major contributions.

These contributions have secured a further 2 Long Duration flights to ISS for our3rd and 4th newest Canadian Astronauts.
David Saint-Jacques November 2018 to join an international crew onboard the orbiting laboratory. Expedition 58/59 will be the first mission for David Saint-Jacques and will mark the 17th space flight for the Canadian Astronaut Corps.
After that, Jeremy Hansen will be on another Long Duration

Jennifer Anne MacKinnon Sidey (born August 3, 1988) and Joshua Kutryk (March 21, 1982) Test pilot, fighter pilot, engineer, lieutenant-colonel in the Royal Canadian Air Force were both selected as Astronaut Candidates on July 1, 2017.  Both are part of the Canadian Space Agency's 2017 Astronaut Group which will be part of the NASA Astronaut Group 22 nicknamed "the Turtles".  Its a long standing tradition for each Astronaut class to get a nickname.  This goes all the way back to the original NASA class, Group-One-"The Mercury Seven" from 1979.

Julie Payette, who is now Canadas Governor General and Commander-in-Chief.  When Julie flew on STS-127 to the ISS, another Canadian Robert Thirsk was serving aboard ISS when the Shuttle-Endeavour was docked.  This was the first time that two Canadians were simultaneously in space.

She retired in 2013 leaving only Chris Hadfield, who flew as ISS Commander during Expedition 34-34, the first time since the ISS's existence that it has NOT been commanded by either an American or Russian.  Though he arrived at ISS aboard the Russian Soyuz space vehicle after launching on December 17, 2012, his command didn't begin until the previous Expedition 34 members undocked from the ISS before deorbiting to Earth. On May 12, 2013 he handed command over before he, and the 2 other Astronauts, boarded their Soyuz capsule and deorbited to Earth the next day.  He had flown aboard shuttle Atlantis in 1995 where he visited the Russian Space Station -Mir. 
He then flew aboard Endeavour during STS-100 where he helped deliver and set up the brand new CANADARM-2 to the ISS.  Over his two spacewalks during that mission Hadfield spent 14 hours, 50 minutes outside, travelling 10 times around the world during his spacewalk.  He also had a Long Duration mission aboard ISS
Hadfield retired from the CSA effective July 3. 2013.

That leaves  David St. Jacques and Jeremy Hansen, both of which are active Astronauts and Jennifer Sidey and Joshua Kutryk who are Astronaut Candidates leaving the Canadian Astronaut Corps at 4. As of May 2017 the US NASA Astronaut corps has 44 active astronauts

Jeremy Hansen

David St. Jacques

Candidate Jennifer Sidey

Candidate Joshua Kutryk

After completing the Astronaut training in Texas, Sidey Kutryk, which takes 2 years to complete, they too will graduate from Astronaut Candidate(ASCAN).

peace
Hog

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2017, 12:39:04 PM »
Space Launch System EM-1 mission video.  The most complete video I have seen yet.

peace
Hog

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2017, 11:01:05 PM »
As of May 2017 the US NASA Astronaut corps has 44 active astronauts

Jeremy Hansen

David St. Jacques

Candidate Jennifer Sidey

Candidate Joshua Kutryk

So, how many out of this batch are Freemasons?

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2017, 09:05:02 AM »

So, how many out of this batch are Freemasons?

We were allotted 3 in this batch, as per the Bilderburg Groups orders.

peace
Hog

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2017, 12:33:25 PM »
We were allotted 3 in this batch, as per the Bilderburg Groups orders.

peace
Hog

There's really only evidence of two based on the photographs.  ::)

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2017, 06:05:02 PM »
Cool docu on Voyager 1 & 2. Can be seen on Netflix, YouTube. Check it out.

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2017, 04:18:23 PM »
Thanks 5150, its amazing that Voyager 1 is now outside of the influence on the Solar System having been confirmed to have entered interstellar space August 25, 2012, 
On November 22, 2017 Voyager 1 was approx. 13,000,000,000 (13 billion)miles away from the Sun,having operated for 40 years, 3 months and 1 day as of December 6, 2017.
Signals from Voyager-1 take 19 hours to reach Earth.

If I am a lucky man, I'll outlive the Voyagers useful mission(2025ish) if I'm a VERY lucky man, I'll see, or at least have someone point me towards Halley's Comet on its next trajectory towards the Sun on July-August 2061.  Here's to wishing anyways.  Halleys Comet is special, it is the ONLY short period comet (a comet with a period less than 200 years) that can be seen from Earth with the naked eye.  I remember it in early 1986, just after STS-51L Challenger broke up on Jan. 28, 1986, but just before Chernobyl exploded and melted down on April 26, 1986, with my 10th birthday sat squarely in between those dates.  During the Challenger incident, I remember going outside and looking up in the sky trying to see the trails left in the sky.  I climbed up on top of the huge snow piles that the loader would pile on our property as it cleared our laneway in Winter, but no matter which way I looked, I couldn't see the plumes, or any debris.  I didn't clue into the fact
that as I was watching NASA Select Live feed on a 10 foot C-Band satellite dish and Toshiba TRX-100 receiver, and that the live video showed absolutely no snow, while outside my house, there were naturally blown snow drifts, big enough that my Brother and I could tunnel into and play inside
.  Oh how simple the world was through the eyes, and in the mind of a boy living his 10th year. And some 30+ years later, as I am calculating the distance from my house to the launch pad at Kennedy Space Centers Lunch Complex-39-B, it should be noted that this STS-51L Challenger launch was the 1st Shuttle launch from  the brand new LC-39-B pad. All others previously were from LC-39-A just a short ways away.  The bad luck of 39-B was erased with the successful Return-To-Flight(RTF) of STS-26 almost 3 years later on September 29, 1988 with Orbiter Vehicle(OV) OV-103-Atlantis launching successfully from LC-39-B.  I discover as I am using the Latitude and Longitude of Woodstock Ontario Canada, and LC-39-B and I find out that the launch pad is 1615km, 1003 statute miles or 872 nautical miles away. This wasn't surprising to me or a source of astonishment to my 40+ year old mind, what was sort of cool, is that the launch Complex 39-A and 39-B are almost 180 due South from my house, the Launch Pads are literally less that 0.1 due South from my front step.   Well who'da thunk!  At least when I was 9 years old, I was looking in the correct direction for the Challenger plumes, there was just 1000milesa whole of terra firma between my eyes and Florida.

Here's a pic of the 10th and last Solid Rocket Booster(SRB) segment for the pair of SRBs due at KSC next November for stacking and launch at the end of the decade.

And here are the 2 SRB bells

These are the most powerful engines ever made by humans and will provide thrust approaching 8 million pounds.

The segments are moved by rail from Utah to Florida, lets hope this doesn't happen again, or again and again.(its happened twice)

Here is a pic of ARES-1 aka "the Stick" aka Crew Launch Vehicle.its a SRB with a crew module on top  This was the result of the Columbia Accident Investigation Boards recommendations for NASA to separate its crewed and cargo operations for safety.  Humans would be launched on the stick, while the cargo would be launched upon Ares-5(very similar to the SLS rocket) 
It launched once, crewless., before the Constellation Project was cancelled under Obama, President Bush cancelled Shuttle back in 2004 in his Vision for Space Exploration. https://www.nasa.gov/pdf/55583main_vision_space_exploration2.pdf

Here's is 2 SRBs riding on an MLP(Mobile Launch Platform) being moved by a CT(Crawler Transporter)

Here's the 2009 Ares 1 Launch from T-2:40 seconds.  Notice that the stick launches from the same Mobile Launch Platform that was actually launching Shuttles. Remember Shuttle was retired in 2011, this is a 2009 launch.  STS(Space Transportation System aka Space Shuttle Program(SSP) was still in action.
This launch of Ares-1X uses a 5 segment SRB 1st stage just as the new SLS rocket will, save for SLS using 2 5 segment SRBs at once.

At T- 15 seconds or at about video clock of 2:20 there is an excellent shot downwards at the Mobile Launch Platform(MLP) which is carried to and from the Vehicle Assembly Building(VAB) some 4 miles away by one of the 2 Crawler Transporter(CT) vehicles. When the Sound Suppression Water System is activated at T-15 seconds, you can actually see the flame trenches which would be covered by the other SRB as well as the Shuttles 3 Main Engines.  Once they turn on the water, you can hear a high pitched "swishy" sound 2:23-2:24 of the video, that's the water actually displacing air in the nozzles of the SSWS.

0- Mach 1 in less than 45 seconds, almost straight up. 

Talk about balancing a yardstick on your fingertip!

peace
Hog

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2017, 07:40:08 PM »
A couple more pics and description.

Here's is 2 SRBs riding on an MLP(Mobile Launch Platform) being moved by a CT(Crawler Transporter).  These were part of the CT/MLP/SRB vibration tests that occurred prior to the STS mission STS-114 following the STS-107 Columbia breakup.  The Crawler Transporters can reach 2.5 mph without flight hardware, when loaded they top out at 1mph.  The entire MLP is kept perfectly level even when climbing the ramps (5% grade, there is 5 feet of rise for every 100 feet of horizontal distance) up to the launch pads.

Different angle

And the same hardware carrying a Saturn-V rocket back in May 25, 1966.  Notice that the sign mention a 3rd LC-39-C launch pad, while there were plans for the 3rd launch pad for Saturn-1 and Saturn-V rockets, the 3rd site, LC39-C, was never developed.

And carrying Discovery for her 2nd RTF mission.  Discovery was used for both the Space Shuttle Programs 1st RTF mission STS-26 in 1988 after Challenger was destroyed, and for the 2nd RTF mission STS-114 which launched July 26 2005 after Columbia was destroyed during re-entry of STS-107.

Each Crawler Transporter was purchased for $14 million each and are affectionately referred to as "Hans & Franz" from the Saturday Night Live skit with body builder/strongmen Hans and Franz.  They have a combined mileage of over 3400 miles since their delivery back in 1965.

Closeup of a single track, there are 8 tracks per Crawler Transporter, 2 at each corner.  Each track consists of 57 "shoes" with each "shoe" weighing just under a ton.  Fuel economy  is about 126 gallons per mile, and they have a 5,000 gallon fuel tank.
These 2 beasts were added to National Register of Historic Places on January 21, 2000. They are literally 2 MOVING pieces of nationally recognized American history.

And here is an interesting bit.  As noted above, approx. 15 seconds before liftoff, the Sound Suppression Water System(SSWS) is activated.  Here is a test of that system before the Ares launch. During STS-1, or the very first launch of the Space Shuttle, the massive acoustical energy that was produced by the 3 Space Shuttle Main Engines(SSME) and the 2 Solid Rocket Boosters(SRB) was strong enough to cause the Body Flap which is located at the aft of the Orbiter Vehicle, just under the 3 SSME bells. This Body Flap is used for a certain amount of aerodynamic control and to protect the engine nozzles from thermal damage during re-entry.  Since the SSMEs are not in use during re-entry, the cooling liquid Hydrogen only flows through the engine nozzles while they are in operation so during re-entry there is no cooling for the engine nozzles.  The body flap experiences some of the highest heating temperatures  that occur during re-entry.  The nose cap, parts of the wings leading edges and the underside of the Orbiter.
Here is a side view of the aft of an Orbiter, you can see the Body Flap located below the engine nozzles.  It is hinged and its pitch can be changed during the gliding re-entry.

A beautiful shot of OV-103 Discovery as it performs the brand new, RPM or Rendezvous Pitch Maneuver in order to identify any breaches in the Orbiters Thermal Protection System(TPS) as early in the mission timeline as possible.  The gray nosecap, grey leading edges of the wings are made of Reinforced Carbon-Carbon(RCC) and will withstand temps of 1,510 C (2,750 F) created during re-entry.

To perform the RPM, the Orbiters approach towards the ISS is stopped, then they command the orbiters Reaction Control System(RCS) to make the Orbiter do a backflip beside the ISS.  Through windows, 2 Astronauts use high definition cameras to document the entire Orbiters Thermal Protection system.  these images are then downloaded down to Earth where engineers look for breaches in the TPS.  Then the Orbiter docked to the ISS.
Liquid Oxygen(LOx) which liquefies/boils at -183C/-297F and liquid Hydrogen(LH2) which boils at -253C/-423F. 

if the ET wasn't insulated, there would be a buildup of different forms of ice, water ice, Oxygen ice etc.  Unlike the Apollo era where you see hundreds of pounds of ice falling off the rocket during launch, this is absolutely must be avoided as the entire surface of the Orbiters belly is a heat shield and cannot be damaged by anything whatsoever.

Before and after its visit to the ISS, the Orbiters  perform an inspection using the 50 feet long Orbiter Boom Sensor System(OBSS) which attaches to the Remote Manipulator System(RMS aka CANADArm) and doubles the arms reach out to 100feet and allows the entire TPS to be imaged via laser imaging, both top and bottom. This ensures that any micro meteors didn't damage the TPS at all while she was docked to ISS.

Intense launch imaging from the ground during launch, and the RPM and OBSS imaging done as soon as possible gives NASA as much time as they could have just in case there was damage to the TPS, thus maximizing the time required to implement a fix.  These 2 inspections using the OBSS are referred to as the "early" inspection, done soon after attaining orbit.  They late OBSS inspection is performed just before the Shuttle performed the de-orbit burn which slows the Orbiter just enough to begin to fall into the Earth atmosphere when she is turned around facing forward, with her nose high, while performing roll reversals in order to bleed off energy(velocity) before landing

peace
Hog