• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Statues

Started by Zenman, August 31, 2017, 01:52:30 AM

paladin1991

Quote from: Juan on August 31, 2017, 04:56:19 AM
The Confederate statues I'm familiar with - those dedicated to the generic foot soldiers who were generally not slave owners - were built with private funds and erected on private property. Both were then dedicated to the city/county. Some were erected on public property that was cleaned up and improved by the dedicating organization.
The Talbanization of American history by hate groups such as the SPLC is evil.

No shit.  Imagine.  An American evil.  This infuriates the vets I know and call brother and sister like you would not believe.

paladin1991

Quote from: Gd5150 on August 31, 2017, 06:11:35 PM
Those idiots you refer to are professors at the biggest sham most respected institutions of higher learning in the country.

Formal education is the new stupid

Pampered Academia.  Bitches of the highest order.

paladin1991

Quote from: 21st Century Man on September 01, 2017, 04:47:11 PM
LOL.  Good point.  Plus I think some black minorities were probably killed there too.

Oh shit.  Neegro, it is on like Donkey Kong.

Lord Grantham

Quote from: GuerrillaUnReal on September 01, 2017, 05:53:14 PM
Well since your argument was blown out, I guess you have to resort to this. But you're the one who displayed a lack of knowledge and gets your information from clickbait bullshit. I'm just acknowledging that reality. Quite frankly, you should read more.

Duh, I can;t no read gud

Zenman

Quote from: albrecht on September 01, 2017, 05:12:07 PM
Yeah and I understand the argument that you can stop development or modernity and that public policy or attitudes will change (or just cities will grow big and say "do we really that park?" "couldn't that statue be some extra parking spaces" "do we really have room for that graveyard" etc.) That is the way of the world since forever but I would like more sober assessment and thought before willy-nilly pulling down art, renaming streets (and, who knows, maybe schools, cities, and states, etc.) Or just by vandalism and crime.
I would think in some cases someone could get some legal protection but when you are fighting city-hall and entities so large, good luck is right!

It brings to mind some interesting "land deals" which one gets to thinking conspiratorially, certain "not for profits" buy up land, or given to them for tax-breaks in wills, to "set aside" for the environment. Don't have to pay taxes on it. Then, a few years later, an odd thing happens. They lobby the city to allow development, say some apartments or condos maybe small new neighborhood, but in exchange they will set aside more property that they have acquired for "green" or to protect some bird or salamander. Meanwhile this "not for profit" got a tax-break on prime real estate, but not developed due to "green,"  that increased in value over the years as the city grew. Then the "rules" change and "limited building can be done at site" "a new study says" or "the City and environment will benefit from having this other land instead' and hey they just made a lot of money and can do new deals and/or buy up more land further out for "green" reasons. Just some examples:
https://tncscandals.blogspot.com/

I think I remember something like that going on near here a while back involving "endangered vernal pools", aka mud puddles, lol. There were also some related horror stories involving eminent domain where developers were able to lobby local gov't into taking property so they could develop it, so long as they dedicated a certain percentage to open space "green" areas. In one case I remember they were supposed to build apartments to ease the housing crisis and they ended up building a strip mall. And to further digress, I'm definitely not in favor of gov't funding the arts. That should be completely privately funded, including PBS, as well as art exhibits featuring metallic dolphins with human-like heads, swimming in heart-shaped pools filled with floating refuse and such.

albrecht

Quote from: Zenman on September 02, 2017, 09:42:58 PM
I think I remember something like that going on near here a while back involving "endangered vernal pools", aka mud puddles, lol. There were also some related horror stories involving eminent domain where developers were able to lobby local gov't into taking property so they could develop it, so long as they dedicated a certain percentage to open space "green" areas. In one case I remember they were supposed to build apartments to ease the housing crisis and they ended up building a strip mall. And to further digress, I'm definitely not in favor of gov't funding the arts. That should be completely privately funded, including PBS, as well as art exhibits featuring metallic dolphins with human-like heads, swimming in heart-shaped pools filled with floating refuse and such.
I noticed today that UT had what appeared like a video-game drone footage but almost digital (I couldn't tell) showing the campus with an empty, but clean, South Mall heading up to the Tower? I'm guessing they haven't completely torn down the bases of the statues they ripped out in the dead of night and so had to throw something together for game-opening video montage?

Yes, there are a lot of suspicious "green," and other land deals in cities and elsewhere. I know someone who happened to put his business in an area of the county. Just built his office and got a knock at the door. "How much for your acres? Name your price." The deal was, as I hear, there was a concern about lack of affordable housing (that is, racial/ethnic not living in certain places) and the Feds via HUD were trying to expand diversity. Well his place was on an outlier of the city but next to the next county and the City but near some highways and some builder figured a deal to build Section 8 complex out there, a public transit bu system/station nearby, and, in exchange some tax-abatements for the builder so he could develop some condos and high-end stuff more downtown and in "green" area. Done deal. The dude instantly became a multimillionaire and bought a big ranch and got the developer to build him new offices and space for his equipment a few miles away and so no disruption in business. He didn't plan on flipping the land but he saw, for his business, the good location and then this came up. Some old folks up in the pan-handle of a former co-worker have been living high on income from a pipeline, not even drilling or pumping, but just passing for years. Know someone who pays his taxes and road maintenance because he allowed a cell phone tower. Sometimes simply luck and real estate is where it is at!

Robert

Quote from: albrecht on September 01, 2017, 06:08:12 PMlike Kaddafi(sic) the spelling has changed over the years or depending where you see it.)
I prefer Qadaffy so I can alter it to QuackDaffy.

Up All Night

Quote from: Juan on August 31, 2017, 04:56:19 AM
The Confederate statues I'm familiar with - those dedicated to the generic foot soldiers who were generally not slave owners - were built with private funds and erected on private property. Both were then dedicated to the city/county. Some were erected on public property that was cleaned up and improved by the dedicating organization.
The Talbanization of American history by hate groups such as the SPLC is evil.

I think that all of this talk about President Trump being a racist is hysteria. When I voted for Trump, there was NOTHING inside of me that was thinking or saying, "Yeah -- Now --- Finally Getting to Put the Black down!!"

So, this so-called "racist", chose to have his Inauguration Day Eve - "Make America Great Again" concert ... at .... The Lincoln Memorial.... where "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" was performed.

Yeah, that really sounds and looks like where a racist would hold an event and what song they would allow to be played at their Inauguration Day Eve event.

Quote from: Zenman on August 31, 2017, 02:30:44 PM
I'm not sure about what would be good to do with the complicated chain of possession statues. The private ones are easy of course. Their fate should be entirely controlled by the owners, as should be their safely from theft and vandalism and such.

The statues that were originally private and then dedicated to a public entity and so on, well, I don't know what to tell ya right off on those. I'm thinking mostly tho that the dedicating entity pretty much has to acknowledge the risks involved with voluntarily handing property over to a public entity.

Land and other property are donated to the government for specific reasons all the time.  When it is the case that the donated property is to be used for a specific purpose, doesn't that have to be followed, and if the underlying requirement is no longer the case the property would revert back to the donors?

#2, there has been some real shitty public ''art'' inflicted on us over the past several decades.  When people finally get sick of it and want it removed, they are told that it can only be removed if the ''artist'' agrees, or some similar shit.  Of course that's denied - or the shithel is dead - and we're stuck with it.  How is this different?

Quote from: Lord Grantham on August 31, 2017, 06:36:17 AM
https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/things-to-think-about-when-taking-down-statues?google_editors_picks=true

A democratic country’s arguments about public space, history, and art are necessarily continuous. One difference between democracies and dictatorships is that the constructing and revising of public spaces is not a propaganda opportunity for the ruler but a realm of democratic discourse, influenced by popular opinion and competitive electoral politics.

Yes, but mob rule is not democracy

Also, see above

Quote from: albrecht on September 01, 2017, 11:15:25 AM
... Where does it stop? I assume that the Washington Memorial and Jefferson Memorial will be torn down soon and cities and states renamed, like streets are?...

I'm calling for the dissolution and banning of the Democrat Party, and erasing them from our history.

They supported and engaged in slavery, initiated and foungh a destructive civil war over it, fought integration of African-Americans into society through Jim Crow and segregation, kept them from voting by instituting poll taxes and literacy tests, terrorized them by creating the KKK and through lynchings and church burnings, and filibustered the Civil Rights Acts of the 1950s and 1960s.

It was ''Progressive'' Democrat Woodrow Wilson who re-segregated the federal bureaucracy, and ''Progressive'' Democrat Franklin Roosevelt who re-segregated the US military and interned Japanese Americans.

The Democrat Party to this day continues to keep the African-Americans in the big cities they control under educated, under-employed, addicted to welfare handouts, and impoverished, through their policies.  Obviousl failed policies they refuse to change.  They are subject to substandard medical care, and the Democrat leaders of these cities themselves even claim the police they hire and train are racist.

The Democrat Party of today routinely injects race into every political issue - both because they can't win debate any other way, and in order to keep the country divided for their own benefit.

They have caused much damage, and continue to do so.  I don't think it would be over the top to deem it a terrorist organization and pull it out root and branch.  You know, as long as we're reviewing our history and deciding what to keep.

Juan

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on September 10, 2017, 11:06:20 AM
Land and other property are donated to the government for specific reasons all the time.  When it is the case that the donated property is to be used for a specific purpose, doesn't that have to be followed, and if the underlying requirement is no longer the case the property would revert back to the donors?
Octavius Bacon was a US senator from Georgia. He died leaving a large property to be managed by the city of Macon as a park for the white women and children of the area. Two Supreme Court cases in the 60s and 70s held that the city running a segregated park was unconstitutional and that the property reverted to Bacon's heirs.

The trouble with the statues is they were erected by organizations no longer in existence. Organizations don't have heirs.

Zenman

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on September 10, 2017, 11:06:34 AM
Yes, but mob rule is not democracy

Actually, while it may technically not quite be "tyranny of the majority", mathematically, democracy is indeed mob rule.

Up All Night

Fate Intervenes.... Special Crane to be used in Dallas Robert E. Lee statue removal was damaged in route from Houston by a semi-trailer that ran a red light...

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/crane-to-be-used-in-lee-statue-removal-involved-in-deadly-accident/473228608

albrecht

Quote from: Up All Night on September 12, 2017, 08:51:14 AM
Fate Intervenes.... Special Crane to be used in Dallas Robert E. Lee statue removal was damaged in route from Houston by a semi-trailer that ran a red light...

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/crane-to-be-used-in-lee-statue-removal-involved-in-deadly-accident/473228608
They removed the statue of Robert E. Lee, that was dedicated by Democrat FDR in 1936, using a crane and armed paramilitary troops and took it to an abandoned naval air station.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/robert-e-lee-statue-dallas-removed-park-n801536

Gd5150

Quote from: albrecht on September 15, 2017, 08:14:20 PM
They removed the statue of Robert E. Lee, that was dedicated by Democrat FDR in 1936, using a crane and armed paramilitary troops and took it to an abandoned naval air station.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/robert-e-lee-statue-dallas-removed-park-n801536

Wow that's amazing! World hunger, global warming, and most importantly racism has all ended. Praise the removal of a statue!

Up All Night

Quote from: albrecht on September 15, 2017, 08:14:20 PM

The statue was in "Lee Park."

I have lived in the Dallas area for most of my life. I have never visited Lee Park not the statue. But, I did hear, in the 70's, that Lee Park was where potheads would go at night to smoke...

The name "Lee" Park meant nothing to me. It might as well as been "Smith" Park or "Jones" Park, since they didn't have enough gumption or foresight to rename Oak Lawn Park "Robert E. Lee Park" when the statue was unveiled during the 1936 Texas Centennial Celebrations...

pate

Quote from: Zenman on August 31, 2017, 01:52:30 AM
In a more rational, more libertarian society, before most of the statues were destroyed, they would've each been auctioned off to the highest bidders (collectors, folks who wanted to destroy them, folks who wanted to enshrine them for posterity in high security, and so on). The proceeds would've gone to erect a giant monument to commemorate all the tax-payers who were forced to pay for the commissioning of the statues.

Where is my Malcolm--X statue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iym331fPek

-or-

\
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkFCkcNWAaA
/

Quote from: Lord Grantham on November 21, 2017, 07:12:53 AM
More history and heritage being removed :'(

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2017-11-21/giant-swastika-unearthed-in-germany

To equivocate the Confederacy with Nazi Germany is ridiculous. Consider yourself reprimanded.

Lord Grantham

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 21, 2017, 07:51:53 AM
To equivocate the Confederacy with Nazi Germany is ridiculous. Consider yourself reprimanded.

You grumpy fuckers have no sense of humor. God damn.

Quote from: Lord Grantham on November 21, 2017, 08:22:12 AM

I know you were trying to be funny but I question the motivation behind it.  I have a great sense of humor.  If you tell me that you didn't mean anything behind it, I apologize.

Thing is it is hard to tell these days. I'm sick to death of the constant propagandizing that is going on in our schools/universities and media. To be honest, I am a bit grumpy now. I hate feeling that way. Everyone is too damn sensitive including me.  I hope there will come a day when I can laugh along with you. :D

albrecht

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 21, 2017, 08:35:10 AM
To be honest, I am a bit grumpy now. I hate feeling that way. Everyone is too damn sensitive including me.  I hope there will come a day when I can laugh along with you. :D
I hear you. Our local school board has announced that they are unilaterally changing the names of various schools due to the Confederate service of some of the people. Without a vote or community input. Even though I doubt the average student or man-on-the-street would even know the person served in some capacity in the Confederate government or military and had other careers or positions before/after. Interestingly the students and community in some cases don't want the change (and the student population is heavily Mexican or "Mexican-American" and the budget for the school system is stressed (despite voters, again, passing a ridiculous bond package.) Next I suspect will be Founding Fathers, anyone that groped, then just any white man, then white woman, etc etc.
Having said that "they" want us to become disillusioned, lose any sense of humor, become withdrawn from politics and community, and give up, so don't let it happen. Humor and satire might be the only thing left to stop political correctness, historical revisionism, and wasting of tax dollars.

Gd5150

Quote from: Lord Grantham on November 21, 2017, 08:22:12 AM
Gee I wonder why. Maybe because every time someone farts leftwing idiots are screaming racist sexist homophobe blah blah blah. We do laugh, at you. Not with you.

Quote from: albrecht on November 21, 2017, 10:20:59 AM
I hear you. Our local school board has announced that they are unilaterally changing the names of various schools due to the Confederate service of some of the people. Without a vote or community input. Even though I doubt the average student or man-on-the-street would even know the person served in some capacity in the Confederate government or military and had other careers or positions before/after. Interestingly the students and community in some cases don't want the change (and the student population is heavily Mexican or "Mexican-American" and the budget for the school system is stressed (despite voters, again, passing a ridiculous bond package.) Next I suspect will be Founding Fathers, anyone that groped, then just any white man, then white woman, etc etc.
Having said that "they" want us to become disillusioned, lose any sense of humor, become withdrawn from politics and community, and give up, so don't let it happen. Humor and satire might be the only thing left to stop political correctness, historical revisionism, and wasting of tax dollars.

They will probably eventually change the name of my high school as I think George Walton probably owned slaves.  All of those signers of the Declaration of Independence were probably rAY-cists. :P :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Walton

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Walton_Comprehensive_High_School

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 21, 2017, 11:10:17 AM
They will probably eventually change the name of my high school as I think George Walton probably owned slaves.  All of those signers of the Declaration of Independence were probably rAY-cists. :P :(

Gen. Eisenhower focused his attention on liberating European whites during WWII - while ignoring repressed brown people the world over - so I should be hearing that the name of my HS must be changed.

If they're on the ball, it probably has been, I'd better check.  Some suggested names I'm proposing are Valerie Jarret High, Susan Rice High, or Donna Brazile High.