• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

History Channel's "Amelia Earhart" Program of 9 July 2017

Started by Uncle Duke, July 10, 2017, 09:56:17 AM

Uncle Duke

Curious if any of you watched this two hour investigative program last night, and if so, what were your thoughts?

Juan

If the people in the photo are Earhart and Noonan, where are the Japanese military guards holding them? After all, the Japanese were supposed to think she was a spy.

ItsOver

History channel?  Ha!  Sigh. :(  Damn you, Nancy Dubuc, a one-bitch PremRat.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Juan on July 10, 2017, 03:21:23 PM
If the people in the photo are Earhart and Noonan, where are the Japanese military guards holding them? After all, the Japanese were supposed to think she was a spy.

The aircraft was still on the barge, the Japanese would not have found the aerial cameras until it was brought ashore and examined by their intel/technical people.

Where were they going to go?

Taaroa

I think there's a theory that they were taken to Saipan and eventually executed.

Juan

I thought the Japanese objected to the flight as a spy mission before she got that far, but if not, maybe they did not suspect her yet.

PB - she was going to Howland Island to refuel. Some say the reason she got lost is that she flew over Truk to photograph the Japanese base there.

ItsOver

For what it's worth:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/amelia-earhart-captured-and-killed-new-evidence-debunks-history-channels-crazy-theory

Sadly, just about anything on the so-called "History Channel" theses days is not much more than sensational, lowest denominator entertainment, at best.  Hardly documentaries.  Anything related to actual history is usually coincidental, at best.  This is the same outfit that's still showing Jorch and the ancient alien crappola.  The closest the History Channel ever came to finding Hitler was years ago, when it was the 24-7 Nazi channel.  At least then, they we're doing something close to history.  Now, they're just goosestepping around for the ratings.

Quote from: Juan on July 11, 2017, 04:38:59 AM
... PB - she was going to Howland Island to refuel. Some say the reason she got lost is that she flew over Truk to photograph the Japanese base there.

I meant that if that was them in the photo and they'd been captured, perhaps the reason they don't appear to be closely guarded was that there was no where for them to escape to.

I read an article about the photo but didn't see the show.  I think they've shown it a few times this week, I'll see if its going to be shown again

Juan

Ha, ha, ha. 30-minutes of googling by a Japanese researcher turned up the Earhart photo published in a 1935 Japanese travel mag.
http://hotair.com/archives/2017/07/11/oops-new-amelia-earhart-photo-apparently-published-japanese-travel-guide-1935/

albrecht

Quote from: ItsOver on July 11, 2017, 08:06:50 AM
For what it's worth:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/amelia-earhart-captured-and-killed-new-evidence-debunks-history-channels-crazy-theory

Sadly, just about anything on the so-called "History Channel" theses days is not much more than sensational, lowest denominator entertainment, at best.  Hardly documentaries.  Anything related to actual history is usually coincidental, at best.  This is the same outfit that's still showing Jorch and the ancient alien crappola.  The closest the History Channel ever came to finding Hitler was years ago, when it was the 24-7 Nazi channel.  At least then, they we're doing something close to history.  Now, they're just goosestepping around for the ratings.

Yep, and "Discovery" channel runs fake documentaries on Mermaids and Megaladon sharks.  And "National Geographic" has stuff on trannies and gender as social construct and "finding Big Feet" shows. A shame since actual science and nature can make interesting programming and is often weirder than fantasy.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Juan on July 11, 2017, 05:07:54 PM
Ha, ha, ha. 30-minutes of googling by a Japanese researcher turned up the Earhart photo published in a 1935 Japanese travel mag.
http://hotair.com/archives/2017/07/11/oops-new-amelia-earhart-photo-apparently-published-japanese-travel-guide-1935/

When a fellow military aviation buff/aero engineer asked my take on the program on Monday morning, I pointed out two weaknesses in their research.  Here's what I emailed him:

"I was disappointed they didn't spend more time on the historical research aspect of the photo the former Treasury agent found in the NA. The lead up to the show hammered the significance of that photo, but the bulk of the show simply recapped all the stuff they've shown on previous Earhart programs from previous expeditions.

The 'track wheels without tracks' found on the island made no sense.  As an aircraft mishap investigator, I was not impressed with the forensic analysis they did on the aluminum piece parts they claimed were found on that island.  Of course you don't know what level of detail was edited out of the finished program, so there may have been a more rigorous technical/metallurgical review.  If all they showed was all they did, however, they'd be laughed out of even an NTSB Public Hearing."

Quote from: albrecht on July 11, 2017, 05:47:36 PM
...  And "National Geographic" has stuff on trannies and gender as social construct and "finding Big Feet" shows. A shame since actual science and nature can make interesting programming and is often weirder than fantasy.

Awhile back I found a few issues from the 20s and 30s that were fantastic - early aviation, exploring unknown corners of the world, archaeology reports on what would become very well known sites.  A few others I bought from the 40s and 50s still had plenty of exploration and archaeology, and for those years included travel to places that would soon be involved in WWII, and a discussion about that, the European powers granting independence to their colonies, and the issues surrounding that, and so on.  Some articles were written by people like Jacques Cousteau, William O Douglas, Richard E Byrd, Thor Heyerdahl, Edmund Hilary, Heinrich Harrer, etc. 

Now we get ''The Gender Issue''.  What a shit organization it is now. 

weedeater

Missed the history channel program, but I did read this article on VT by Shrimpton.  Pretty sad ending.  http://www.veteranstoday.com/2017/07/08/amelia-earhart-the-truth/

Uncle Duke

Quote from: weedeater on July 11, 2017, 08:04:18 PM
Missed the history channel program, but I did read this article on VT by Shrimpton.  Pretty sad ending.  http://www.veteranstoday.com/2017/07/08/amelia-earhart-the-truth/

*lmao*  This idiot is claiming the US CNO was a German spy?

ItsOver

Quote from: albrecht on July 11, 2017, 05:47:36 PM
... A shame since actual science and nature can make interesting programming and is often weirder than fantasy.
Yes, a big shame.  There use to be some enjoyable stuff on those channels.  I remember when Discovery had the fascinating "Wing" series, like "Wings of the Luftwaffe."  Old historical videos, with interesting narration by folks like Peter Ustinov.  Now it's just one pile of crap after another.  I'll watch the fake history channel a few times a year when I'm on the road and have access to cable but it's usually just American Pickers.  At least the show has some amiable on the air characters and some interesting items, from time to time.  I can't believe the rest of the garbage, though.  How many times can a person watch some rednecks pound a hunk of metal into cutlery?

Uncle Duke

Quote from: ItsOver on July 12, 2017, 08:29:17 AM
Yes, a big shame.  There use to be some enjoyable stuff on those channels.  I remember when Discovery had the fascinating "Wing" series, like "Wings of the Luftwaffe."  Old historical videos, with interesting narration by folks like Peter Ustinov.  Now it's just one pile of crap after another.  I'll watch the fake history channel a few times a year when I'm on the road and have access to cable but it's usually just American Pickers.  At least the show has some amiable on the air characters and some interesting items, from time to time.  I can't believe the rest of the garbage, though.  How many times can a person watch some rednecks pound a hunk of metal into cutlery?

I think one could make the argument many of the speciality/niche cable channels have compromised their programming concept as a function of commercial viability and what's available to be shown.  It has to be a real juggling act to fill 24/7 worth of airtime yet try to stay within the confines of a narrow genre.  Not only do I find much of the programming to be schlock, but I get tired some seeing repeat after repeat of the few quality programs they do offer.

Morgus

For some reason I don't see the History Channel 2 hour show on Amelia Earhart listed for any repeat showings after the original showing last Sunday night...
http://www.history.com/specials/amelia-earhart-the-lost-evidence

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on July 13, 2017, 08:13:22 PM
Rense is on the case:

http://rense.com/general96/ameliaplane.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irtsm7mLG5k
Glad Rense and his contacts are investigating.  ;) Haven't heard him in awhile and the apps that followed his "news" sources have lapsed and no longer function. I must say, however, these pictures and analysis really call for an emergency RCH "imaging panel!"* ;D
* ps: those are always fun because I, as of yet, never went to the websites live to see the images RCH and his experts on an imaging panel are looking but relied on Art's incredulity, or more recently, the frantic discussions and sometimes arguments, about what the images show on OSOM. So it is like some kind of weird, post-modern, or crazy thing: a radio show talking about images that you cannot see. "Theater Of The Mind" in extremis.