• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Great shows you've seen

Started by yumyumtree, April 30, 2017, 11:23:15 PM

yumyumtree

I think this might have been on Free Republic (before Free Republic became so depraved  I wouldn't go on it) but somebody started a thread on the most enjoyable concerts you've ever seen. I've seen everybody from Springsteen and the Rolling Stones to Holly Near and Long John Baldry and find that some of my happiest memories are of great concerts. So let's revive this thread. Also so.e of the .ost interesting game back stories concerning the people you went with, etc. The other night I was thinking about the Bluegrass breakfast festival at the Harry Adams fieldhouse in Missoula in 1975. The headliners were Doug Kershaw, Vassar Clements and some others. Years later I realized that the couple who invited me were probably trying g to discreetly fix me up with another friend they invited. Welk, that didn't take--this guy ignored me, but it was,a great show. It was a nice evening. Jeannie and Roger--you were great friends and I think of you often, wherever you are.

zeebo

I was fortunate to get around and see lots of great shows back in the day.  From big acts to smaller indie bands.  I'll spare you the laundry list and highlight just two shows that really stand out looking back.

Medeski, Martin & Wood in a tiny club in SF with a crowd of maybe a hundred people - frigging amazing performance.  Each of them showing complete virtuosity with their chosen instruments.  Great improvisational style. 

Tom Waits, twenty years ago at Oakland Paramount theater.  Not part of an official tour - it was just a one-off special benefit he did to raise funds for a friend's legal defense.  A buddy of mine somehow scored tickets, fourth row.  I felt as in a trance from his first piano chord to the last of his several encores.  I still feel privileged to have seen a true artist, a showman, in his prime - playing wonderfully, singing his rich lyrics with gusto, becoming various characters right before my eyes, engaging in humorous banter with the audience, slipping between different music styles with an effortless fluency.  It was my single-most memorable show.