• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What do you collect?

Started by Dyna-X, April 21, 2017, 10:47:36 AM

Dyna-X

Quote from: zeebo on April 26, 2017, 03:55:31 PM
Nice.  I feel sorry for the generation who've grown up listening to mp3's out of tinny pc speakers.  I still have an old school heavy Yamaha receiver/amp and solid speakers that still sound fantastic with a cd player, or even better a turntable piped through.  One thing I notice on my old system is the clarity between instruments, say on jazz or classical, as opposed to all being muddied together on modern cheapie setups.  Also acoustic instruments sound warmer and fuller.

1981 state-of-the-art old school:
I still have my old Yamaha A-960 w/matching T-760 Tuner and it sounds as great as ever.  For the stuff I really love CD/FLAC, but I have piped in 320 kbps mp3s from a computer with a good sound card into one of the AUX jacks and been satisfied.

I had it refurbished and recapped about 10 years ago.

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: zeebo on April 26, 2017, 03:55:31 PM
Nice.  I feel sorry for the generation who've grown up listening to mp3's out of tinny pc speakers.  I still have an old school heavy Yamaha receiver/amp and solid speakers that still sound fantastic with a cd player, or even better a turntable piped through.  One thing I notice on my old system is the clarity between instruments, say on jazz or classical, as opposed to all being muddied together on modern cheapie setups.  Also acoustic instruments sound warmer and fuller.

I agree. Much of the electronic music made today is suitable for mp3 format, but the older stuff with layers of multi-instrumentation, as well as the sparse acoustic arrangements sound far better on the vintage equipment of that era. Conversely, I'm not impressed by the pretentious, OTT audiophile set ups either. Most of my finds were pulled from thrift and 2nd hand stores, given TLC and put back in use. I would like to take a small electronics class though, as my repair skills are limited.

Dyna-X

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 26, 2017, 04:39:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5NHx6GhMlQ
My aunt has about 100 bottles of cheap old lady perfumes that she has accumulated over 30+years. They are nose goblins for sure. She is always sticking her wrist my direction when she gets a new one, and lately I just go "yep, another perfume."  Its hard to describe them but they all remind me of a funeral home. 

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 26, 2017, 01:49:04 PM
I don't think they would get hot. The attachment point on the front is the bayonet lug.

Probably not the easiest to handle and shoot with all of the weight of the ammo, but using the single point sling and the pistol grip, you can send a lot of rounds down range pretty quickly, just not accurately.

Interesting design though.
Wouldn't it have the potential of misfires? Until several years, for example, you couldn't use narrow pointed bullets in my LA .30-.30, and guns designed like it with the tubular magazine design, because of the way they are aligned in a row and risk of a misfire in the magazine after shooting.
ps: that take down 10/22 is sweet. 10/22 are such fun, especially when .22 rounds were dirt cheap!
pps: regarding collecting. The guy from weird person open lines who collected toe-nails. Was that before or after the movie "Slacker?" because one part of it featured a Madonna toenail sales attempt.

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on April 26, 2017, 05:07:05 PM
Wouldn't it have the potential of misfires? Until several years, for example, you couldn't use narrow pointed bullets in my LA .30-.30, and guns designed like it with the tubular magazine design, because of the way they are aligned in a row and risk of a misfire in the magazine after shooting.

I don't have any idea what the inside of the mag looks like. Certainly has to be more prone to misfire than a simple box mag. You would think the soring wouldn't last very long.

I wonder how many rounds they hold. I can change 30 round mags in my AR and shoot in less than 2 seconds.

It has to take longer than that to change the helical mags.

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 26, 2017, 05:11:56 PM
I don't have any idea what the inside of the mag looks like. Certainly has to be more prone to misfire than a simple box mag. You would think the soring wouldn't last very long.

I wonder how many rounds they hold. I can change 30 round mags in my AR and shoot in less than 2 seconds.

It has to take longer than that to change the helical mags.
Yeah, but you got skills and go for special training.  ;) Who knows what kind of training the NK do? Though, admittedly, it might be very good and they are highly motivated: cultish behavior plus getting extra tree bark in your gruel is a good motivator.

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: Dyna-X Ⓤ on April 26, 2017, 04:36:56 PM
1981 state-of-the-art old school:
I still have my old Yamaha A-960 w/matching T-760 Tuner and it sounds as great as ever.  For the stuff I really love CD/FLAC, but I have piped in 320 kbps mp3s from a computer with a good sound card into one of the AUX jacks and been satisfied.

I had it refurbished and recapped about 10 years ago.

Nice! I love those Yamaha Natural Sound receivers, I have a 90s model which I use for my everyday set up. Honestly, I don't know why more people don't have component systems, as you can put together a decent sounding used system for little money. It is getting harder to find older equipment in good shape but they're still out there if you look around. I drop by the thrift stores all the time, sometimes I get lucky.
Found this like-new(!) Concept 2.5 for $10. Concept was a private label made for Pacific Stereo BITD, and the 5.0 models and higher are especially sought after.

Dyna-X

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on April 26, 2017, 05:22:38 PM
Nice! I love those Yamaha Natural Sound receivers, I have a 90s model which I use for my everyday set up. Honestly, I don't know why more people don't have component systems, as you can put together a decent sounding used system for little money. It is getting harder to find older equipment in good shape but they're still out there if you look around. I drop by the thrift stores all the time, sometimes I get lucky.
Found this like-new(!) Concept 2.5 for $10. Concept was a private label made for Pacific Stereo BITD, and the 5.0 models and higher are especially sought after.
Beautiful! Now this one through 70s speakers and your in heaven. I rescued a pair of Braun speakers that someone dumped on the curb and they still rock! Another 5-10 minutes and they would have been soaked by a torrential rain.

On a big picture note, I'm disturbed that most of what I love is no longer or seldom produced and is more the domain of ebay, thrift stores or dumpsters. Its not like I intended to be a vintage collector, necessarily. It's just that what is produced now is either of lower quality or has predatory strings attached or too many things that are just not necessary.  Everyone wants a G_d damned remote for appliances. What happened to walking two steps and turning a knob?

zeebo

Quote from: Dyna-X Ⓤ on April 26, 2017, 05:43:57 PM
..On a big picture note, I'm disturbed that most of what I love is no longer or seldom produced and is more the domain of ebay, thrift stores or dumpsters. ..

I will not let go of my trusty decade-old Thinkpad T60.  Why?  Try getting a laptop, or any computer, with the classic 4:3 aspect ratio.  Oh but you say, those beautiful widescreen monitors are so great for my movies and pics!  Yes, but they still suck for text, which is what I spend 90% of my time looking at on my computer. 

I wish I had my old circa-2000 nokia phone.  It's now-unacceptable monochrome screen was fantastic.  Why?  It was super fast, highly battery-efficient, and you could read it in direct sunlight.

Newer is not always better.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on April 26, 2017, 06:41:13 PM
I will not let go of my trusty decade-old Thinkpad T60.  Why?  Try getting a laptop, or any computer, with the classic 4:3 aspect ratio.  Oh but you say, those beautiful widescreen monitors are so great for my movies and pics!  Yes, but they still suck for text, which is what I spend 90% of my time looking at on my computer. 

I wish I had my old circa-2000 nokia phone.  It's now-unacceptable monochrome screen was fantastic.  Why?  It was super fast, highly battery-efficient, and you could read it in direct sunlight.

Newer is not always better.

I was actually excited when I found this monitor out in the wild for a decent price. I suppose I've come to collect vintage computer systems out of the same combination of personal fascination, historical reverence and moral responsibility to salvaging bit of our technological history that dyna has for radios. Besides the IIc I have several old compact macs too. Anyway, it was neat to finally find the monitor that was made to pair with the IIc, in all it's glowing green greatness.  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZBU0fwPpNQ&t=16s

mikuthing01

Quote from: albrecht on April 26, 2017, 05:07:05 PM
ps: that take down 10/22 is sweet. 10/22 are such fun, especially when .22 rounds were dirt cheap!
pps: regarding collecting. The guy from weird person open lines who collected toe-nails. Was that before or after the movie "Slacker?" because one part of it featured a Madonna toenail sales attempt.

They don't feed like that, this is a Calico 9mm helical mag but same idea.

And a FN P90 mag for fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuSkNq7JZLo

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 26, 2017, 07:03:00 PM
...Anyway, it was neat to finally find the monitor that was made to pair with the IIc, in all it's glowing green greatness.  ;D

Ah I miss those old phosphorescent character displays.  Perfect for playing old text adventures.  Nothing but the glowing words, blinking cursor, and whirring of the cooling fans to accompany one's imagination.    8)

albrecht

Quote from: mikuthing01🇯🇵🗾🗼🎋🌸🐙🐲🐼 on April 26, 2017, 07:12:02 PM
They don't feed like that, this is a Calico 9mm helical mag but same idea.

And a FN P90 mag for fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuSkNq7JZLo
Ah, thanks. I still think suspect in use but I don't know. Keep it simple, I say.

By the way with regard to old tech. I like old fridges and the design of some make more sense (heat rises) so why stuff now at bottom or on back and then crammed into an alcove? Not efficient or aesthetically pleasing. I don't collect them but just as a mention.

zeebo

Quote from: albrecht on April 26, 2017, 10:31:31 PM
...By the way with regard to old tech. I like old fridges and the design of some make more sense (heat rises) so why stuff now at bottom or on back and then crammed into an alcove? Not efficient or aesthetically pleasing. I don't collect them but just as a mention.

Also they used to be built to last two decades instead of two years.   ::)

albrecht

I don't collect them (but have a few from the old farm etc) but went by an estate sale today and a lot of old wood saws, tools, hand-crank drills, and various planers and other stuff. Not in great condition, obviously used frequently and the dead oldster was a woodworker as a hobby, and they were asking $10 per tool. But, if one wished to do so, he could get quite a collection in one fell swoop.

paladin1991

I've collected Souls and Nightmares.

Jackstar

Yeah, but he's only One Way.

Jackstar

Quote from: TigerLily on April 27, 2017, 11:24:42 AM
Broken hearts

If you're collecting them... are they really broken?

TigerLily

Quote from: Jackstar on April 28, 2017, 10:59:36 AM
If you're collecting them... are they really broken?

More like leaving a trail of them in my wake. But I've also been able to heal a few as well

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: TigerLily on April 28, 2017, 06:44:35 PM
More like leaving a trail of them in my wake. But I've also been able to heal a few as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU7V4vB7caQ