• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What do you collect?

Started by Dyna-X, April 21, 2017, 10:47:36 AM

Jackstar

Quote from: aldousburbank on April 25, 2017, 11:30:28 AM
For several decades I have been collecting peyote

Look, look, read, read--you know me, I don't judge.

Dyna-X

Quote from: aldousburbank on April 25, 2017, 11:30:28 AM
For several decades I have been collecting peyote art. It is a consistent phenomena that individuals and tribal/cultural groups that maintain a relationship with this visionary plant express that relationship through artistic means. I have hundreds of items in various mediums which make my home resemble an art gallery. Beadwork, ceramics, clothing/textiles, stained glass, posters, sculptures, and what not. Many of the items are those I've personally found but approximately half of my collection has been gifted to me by friends.  I've been told that I need to open a museum. Maybe someday when I'm not too busy trying to have a life.
Aldous, thanks for posting a bit of your excellent collection! I didn't know peyote fueled such cheery artwork. Something about the southwestern skies that inspires a feeling of anything is possible...its gloomy here today and this lifted the mood a bit.

Dyna-X

Quote from: Jackstar on April 25, 2017, 11:38:34 AM

Look, look, read, read--you know me, I don't judge.
One day Jackstar, you may tire of marching up the mountainside, so I wish you a new shiny 2017 Ford Apocalypse to get you where you want to go. I understand. If only I had a spaceship of my own, to take me where I want to go...the pain...the pain.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: ksm32 on April 24, 2017, 04:01:03 PM
I recently purchased a set of original AKG C1000s's (or because of their shape you could call them microphones for lonely woman). These are kind of a controversial microphone and most of us in the recording industry do tend to shun these.
One things for sure though, don't sit on one ;D

I used to have one but it was darker grey. It was pretty good for acoustic guitar, not bad on voice (as long as the singer didn't move around too much) and I recorded some bongos with them that turned out alright. I eventually sold it as 57s were, generally speaking, a better option for all off those things. The sound quality was decent but with limited application.

I collected comic books for years and still have them but don't collect anymore.  Have lots of early Marvels from the 60's.  Have quite a music cd collection too but my main focus now is movies.  Have a huge dvd collection focusing on classic and horror films but have many recent films too.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on April 25, 2017, 07:59:24 PM
I collected comic books for years and still have them but don't collect anymore.  Have lots of early Marvels from the 60's.  Have quite a music cd collection too but my main focus now is movies.  Have a huge dvd collection focusing on classic and horror films but have many recent films too.

I had tons as a kid too but sold them all in my 20s. The cool thing about now is there's digital scans of most everything out there. I could've never afforded an Action Comics #1 but I can still read it on my iPad.  ;)

What were some of your favorite series from back then? I was mainly a Spiderman/Batman guy but early on I was big into The JLA and The Flash too.

=Schlyder=

Quote from: Dyna-X Ⓤ on April 24, 2017, 09:56:37 PM
Do you have a Rickenbaker 4001?
I might be biased here as to its sound, but Chris Squire was my favorite bassist of all time.

No, I don't own one. .... I like the sound and looks of them, but never liked the ergonomics of them. 
Chris Squire is one of my favourites too.

These are my basses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0cnOlgDJfo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mc0sX3cPfg

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Schlyder7 on April 24, 2017, 05:29:49 PM
golf clubs, and bass guitars

You have a Vox Teardrop?  I had one back in 70s, just as I was starting to get the hang of it, I broke three fingers playing football.  Surgery, wires, pins...the whole bit, fingers ached and lost their dexterity; I never really played it again.  Just as well as I had to sell the Vox to have the money to complete my last quarter of school.  I think I got $200 for it.  Wonder what it would go for these days?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Schlyder7 on April 25, 2017, 10:19:31 PM
No, I don't own one. .... I like the sound and looks of them, but never liked the ergonomics of them. 
Chris Squire is one of my favourites too.

These are my basses.

No Fender P?  ???

=Schlyder=

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 25, 2017, 10:50:29 PM
No Fender P?  ???

Nope. Never played a P bass I liked.  And tone wise they are not very versatile.
I prefer the Jazz bass design and tone for my Fender vibes.
The center bass (Elias)  has a  P-bass pickup though.

My precious is the far right one.  It's a custom built Jerzy Drozd bass.   http://www.jerzydrozdbasses.com/
...Obsession/excellency model ... 6 string fretless...  36 fret/position fingerboard. 
full Flamed maple body...   wenge/maple/wenge,  bolt on neck....
ebony fingerboard.  Aguilar OPB-3 preamp  ....800/400hz switch ...active/passive switch ... passive tone control.
Here are some glamour shots on his website ..  https://www.jerzydrozdbasses.com/jerzy-drozd-excellency-vi-36-fretless-custom-52010
It cost 7K when I ordered it in 2010.  It would cost about 9-10K to do the same bass now.(CDN$)   

He does some really high end stuff, but you can get one of his basic soul models for about 4k

zeebo

I have one collection - the entire original run of Neil Gaiman's Sandman series.  I started picking up other comics after that but realized it would grow out of control so I stopped cold turkey.

There is sort of another, accidental one though.  About fifty pc games I bought on sale from Steam/GOG, but haven't played yet.  I guess since I don't do anything but mostly just look at them, I'm kind of a 'collector' lol. 

I've enjoyed reading about and viewing everyone's collections.  Like some other guys, I collected comic books when I was a kid.  I have a smattering of Silver Age books but mostly Bronze.   I doubt the collection is worth much other than sentimental value.   I was able to collect Frank Miller's entire Daredevil run with high quality books and I was able to collect the entire Master of Kung-Fu series, my personal favorite series.  I've passed the collection to my two sons.

Before starting a family, I began to collect pocket pistols/revolvers and pocket knives.   The oldest pistol i have was manufactured in Czechoslovakia in 1942 during the German occupation.  These pistols were usually issued to officers, so more than likely, it is a bring-back. 

A long term illness has halted the collection for s spell, but I hope to continue in the future.

I also have a small pocket knife collection.  Again, much sentimental value as a lot of these have been gifts from my wife and kids.   I love pocket knives of all sorts.  Toothpicks, canoes, hawk bills, Elephant toes, Scout/Camp knives, etc.   I have knives in my collection from Case, Steel Warrior, Kissing Crane, Rough Rider, Buck, others. 

Jackstar

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on April 26, 2017, 09:09:05 AM
I also have a small pocket knife collection.

The extreme practicality of this hobby, elevates it into something grander.

[/quote]
Quote from: Dyna-X Ⓤ on April 25, 2017, 05:44:53 PM
I wish you a new shiny 2017 Ford Apocalypse

I'm already riding the 2018 model, but--thanks!

Dyna-X

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on April 26, 2017, 09:09:05 AM
I've enjoyed reading about and viewing everyone's collections.  Like some other guys, I collected comic books when I was a kid.  I have a smattering of Silver Age books but mostly Bronze.   I doubt the collection is worth much other than sentimental value.   I was able to collect Frank Miller's entire Daredevil run with high quality books and I was able to collect the entire Master of Kung-Fu series, my personal favorite series.  I've passed the collection to my two sons.

Before starting a family, I began to collect pocket pistols/revolvers and pocket knives.   The oldest pistol i have was manufactured in Czechoslovakia in 1942 during the German occupation.  These pistols were usually issued to officers, so more than likely, it is a bring-back. 

A long term illness has halted the collection for s spell, but I hope to continue in the future.

I also have a small pocket knife collection.  Again, much sentimental value as a lot of these have been gifts from my wife and kids.   I love pocket knives of all sorts.  Toothpicks, canoes, hawk bills, Elephant toes, Scout/Camp knives, etc.   I have knives in my collection from Case, Steel Warrior, Kissing Crane, Rough Rider, Buck, others.

Nice collection - covering all the bases ;) You reminded me of a hole in my flown space-themed collection - I tried one of the Schrade/Camillus MC-1s on ebay a few times and the price would end up in bidding wars over $200.

As for Swiss Army Knives, of course I have the Shuttle flown model, but retired it early to keep it in good shape - they are hard to find now. Now for everyday use and purse carry, a SAK Tinker.  I'd feel lost without an SAK with a phillips head and flat screwdriver on it.

The orange MC-1 has been on all US space launches since about the early Gemini program as part of the survival kit. AFAIK, you wouldn't want to carry it around as the semi-automatic opening puts in the same category as switchblades in most jurisdictions.  Many of them came on the market after Vietnam from AF aviators.  Truly a collector's item.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Dyna-X Ⓤ on April 26, 2017, 11:32:34 AM
Nice collection - covering all the bases ;) You reminded me of a hole in my flown space-themed collection - I tried one of the Schrade/Camillus MC-1s on ebay a few times and the price would end up in bidding wars over $200.

As for Swiss Army Knives, of course I have the Shuttle flown model, but retired it early to keep it in good shape - they are hard to find now. Now for everyday use and purse carry, a SAK Tinker.  I'd feel lost without an SAK with a phillips head and flat screwdriver on it.

The orange MC-1 has been on all US space launches since about the early Gemini program as part of the survival kit. AFAIK, you wouldn't want to carry it around as the semi-automatic opening puts in the same category as switchblades in most jurisdictions.  Many of them came on the market after Vietnam from AF aviators.  Truly a collector's item.

I lost my MC-1 in a move about 25 years ago. Someday I might pick up another.

Mine had developed a wobble in the blade at the hinge pin after using it in a stupid manner to try and pry something open.

I have too many knives as it is. (Bayonets too).

This is my current Rule #9. When I got it I put my Kershaw in a drawer.

Opinel #8 stainless folder with a walnut handle. Based on a French design that is over 100 years old.

I have a beechwood one as well. Only $15 on Amazon

Uncle Duke

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 26, 2017, 12:11:25 PM
I lost my MC-1 in a move about 25 years ago. Someday I might pick up another.

Mine had developed a wobble in the blade at the hinge pin after using it in a stupid manner to try and pry something open.

I have too many knives as it is. (Bayonets too).

This is my current Rule #9. When I got it I put my Kershaw in a drawer.

Opinel #8 stainless folder with a walnut handle. Based on a French design that is over 100 years old.

I have a beechwood one as well. Only $15 on Amazon

I had several of the MC-1s.  Like most of such things I acquired during my career, I gave them away.  Just a few weeks back I was looking on eBay at the prices some of those things are going for these days, realized I'd pissed away a tidy sum.  Still have my pen gun and flares, although the flares are well past their shelf life.  Somewhere I still have a survival vest and personal lowering device.  One thing I would like to have is one of the vintage USAF survival rifles (M6?).  Actually had my hands on one in the old Life Support SPO in the early 80, it was part of a survival equipment "show & tell" display left over from the 1960s.  One of the smaller gun companies was making a civilian copy of it several years ago, but have never run across one.

bateman

Quote from: mikuthing01🇯🇵🗾🗼🎋🌸🐙🐲🐼 on April 21, 2017, 05:54:12 PM
I collect AK-47/AKM magazines I have Hungarian, Romanian, Bulgarian, Polish, Egyptian, East German, Chinese, Yugoslavian and Finnish. I do not have any Russian mags because they are fairly rare and i just haven't come across one yet. I do not have any super rare stuff like slabside or aluminum waffle mags, or the holy grail North Korean but they are still fun to collect.

The helical ones?

http://armamentresearch.com/north-korean-helical-ak-magazines/

GravitySucks

Quote from: Uncle Duke on April 26, 2017, 01:00:11 PM

I had several of the MC-1s.  Like most of such things I acquired during my career, I gave them away.  Just a few weeks back I was looking on eBay at the prices some of those things are going for these days, realized I'd pissed away a tidy sum.  Still have my pen gun and flares, although the flares are well past their shelf life.  Somewhere I still have a survival vest and personal lowering device.  One thing I would like to have is one of the vintage USAF survival rifles (M6?).  Actually had my hands on one in the old Life Support SPO in the early 80, it was part of a survival equipment "show & tell" display left over from the 1960s.  One of the smaller gun companies was making a civilian copy of it several years ago, but have never run across one.

Henry makes a knock off. I would get a Ruger Takedown model before the henry though.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/u-s-survival-ar-7/

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Takedown/models.html

bateman

Quote from: mikuthing01🇯🇵🗾🗼🎋🌸🐙🐲🐼 on April 26, 2017, 01:25:20 PM
I would love to have a North Korean helical mag but they look heavy as fuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdxhiQJXY3o

Where are you supposed to hold the gun when you're actually shooting? Wouldn't that thing get really hot? Looks badass though.

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 25, 2017, 08:18:06 PM
I had tons as a kid too but sold them all in my 20s. The cool thing about now is there's digital scans of most everything out there. I could've never afforded an Action Comics #1 but I can still read it on my iPad.  ;)

What were some of your favorite series from back then? I was mainly a Spiderman/Batman guy but early on I was big into The JLA and The Flash too.

Sorry MD for responding so late.  Spiderman and Batman were probably my two favorites but I also loved the Fantastic Four, Xmen, and Superman among others.  Zeeb mentioned he had the entire run of Gaiman's Sandman. I have all of those too.

GravitySucks

Quote from: bateman⭐️ on April 26, 2017, 01:35:27 PM
Where are you supposed to hold the gun when you're actually shooting? Wouldn't that thing get really hot? Looks badass though.

I don't think they would get hot. The attachment point on the front is the bayonet lug.

Probably not the easiest to handle and shoot with all of the weight of the ammo, but using the single point sling and the pistol grip, you can send a lot of rounds down range pretty quickly, just not accurately.

Interesting design though.

Lt.Uhura

Vintage radios and Hi-Fi equipment; turntables, receivers, portable record player/radio/tape combos (including 2 that look like briefcases). Tabletop AM tube radios, including a couple of bakelites, a large portable Grundig SW, a mid-century modern stereo console Hi-Fi with am/fm, record player, and reel to reel (which also plays WiFi devices via a Bluetooth receiver I connected to the aux), and a jukebox from 1959. Some work perfectly, others are in various states of disrepair. I thought when I retired I'd like to learn to tinker on them and hang out with other Hi-Fi geeks at audiokarma, but I'm trying to downsize, and can't deal with the extra clutter required for repair.

But I'm in awe of this guy. 📻

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vtIh-SbuTg

I also have, naturally, lots of records; 45s and LPs. Also a small collection of pulp fiction vintage paperback books.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 26, 2017, 01:35:10 PM
Henry makes a knock off. I would get a Ruger Takedown model before the henry though.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/u-s-survival-ar-7/

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Takedown/models.html

Yes I am familiar with both of those, but they are totally different animals than the M6.  It was an over/under chambered for .22 Hornet and .410 shotgun shell.  It was also incredibly ugly.  Either of those you mentioned would be far more practical if I was looking for a survival rifle to actually use, but I'd want the M6 more as curiosity and piece of history.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Uncle Duke on April 26, 2017, 02:05:13 PM
Yes I am familiar with both of those, but they are totally different animals than the M6.  It was an over/under chambered for .22 Hornet and .410 shotgun shell.  It was also incredibly ugly.  Either of those you mentioned would be far more practical if I was looking for a survival rifle to actually use, but I'd want the M6 more as curiosity and piece of history.

I have one, I think it is a savage or maybe some off brand, that is chambered in .223/.410.

It looks like the savage, but not sure that it is.

About the only real "gear" I have left is a helmet bag and a couple of pairs of mukluks.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 26, 2017, 02:15:52 PM
I have one, I think it is a savage or maybe some off brand, that is chambered in .223/.410.

It looks like the savage, but not sure that it is.

About the only real "gear" I have left is a helmet bag and a couple of pairs of mukluks.

Baikal makes a series of over/unders, was looking at 7.62x39 and .20 gauge a while back since I already have both ammo.  Price wasn't bad, around $500 I think, but couldn't justify buying it.

The stuff I gave away or pitched when I retired ran the gambit from tested/test expended items to more promotional items from contractors/operational US military units/foreign military units/OGAs/professional associations.  One example was a box of patches I'd acquired from all over the world on TDY, at least a hundred of them.  Gave them to the son of a MSgt who worked for me. 

mikuthing01

Quote from: Uncle Duke on April 26, 2017, 02:40:07 PM
Baikal makes a series of over/unders, was looking at 7.62x39 and .20 gauge a while back since I already have both ammo.  Price wasn't bad, around $500 I think, but couldn't justify buying it.

The stuff I gave away or pitched when I retired ran the gambit from tested/test expended items to more promotional items from contractors/operational US military units/foreign military units/OGAs/professional associations.  One example was a box of patches I'd acquired from all over the world on TDY, at least a hundred of them.  Gave them to the son of a MSgt who worked for me.

99% sure Baikal is now banned because of Nigger faces sanctions.

You can still buy Veprs though

zeebo

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on April 26, 2017, 02:00:09 PM
Vintage radios and Hi-Fi equipment; turntables, receivers, portable record player/radio/tape combos (including 2 that look like briefcases). ....

Nice.  I feel sorry for the generation who've grown up listening to mp3's out of tinny pc speakers.  I still have an old school heavy Yamaha receiver/amp and solid speakers that still sound fantastic with a cd player, or even better a turntable piped through.  One thing I notice on my old system is the clarity between instruments, say on jazz or classical, as opposed to all being muddied together on modern cheapie setups.  Also acoustic instruments sound warmer and fuller.