• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The NHL 2017 Second Season

Started by ge30542, April 11, 2017, 05:20:10 PM

ge30542

Greatest time to be alive, the NHL Playoffs begin tomorrow.
Gravity, I look forward to the 2nd round when my Blues will meet up with your Hawks.
Anyone have predictions for the Conference finals?
Does anyone think Columbus can advance?

It is a terrible time.   At least for us Wings folk.    No playoffs for the first time since 1990.

In 1990 the Soviet Union was still in place, Germany was still divided,  gas was a $1.30 a gallon, Mandela was just released from prison.

starrmtn001

Quote from: ge30542 on April 11, 2017, 05:20:10 PM
Greatest time to be alive, the NHL Playoffs begin tomorrow.
Gravity, I look forward to the 2nd round when my Blues will meet up with your Hawks.
Anyone have predictions for the Conference finals?
Does anyone think Columbus can advance?
Will there be a weekly podcast and pool this year? ???  That would be very cool. ;D

ge30542

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on April 11, 2017, 05:29:17 PM
It is a terrible time.   At least for us Wings folk.    No playoffs for the first time since 1990.

In 1990 the Soviet Union was still in place, Germany was still divided,  gas was a $1.30 a gallon, Mandela was just released from prison.
Walks, as a lifelong Blues fan, I am genuinely bummed that the Wings 29 year string of Playoff appearances has ended.
Longest streak in any Sport.
Man there were some great series tween the Wings & Blues.
Remember the Russians, Lirianov, Konstantinov, Federov, etc?

ge30542

Gravity Sucks is a diehard Blackhawks fan, he'll break down the playoffs for us, he knows things.

Quote from: ge30542 on April 11, 2017, 05:34:10 PM
Walks, as a lifelong Blues fan, I am genuinely bummed that the Wings 29 year string of Playoff appearances has ended.

Oh yeah.   I really loved to watch Larionov play.   He was really something and of course Konstantinov's accident was a tragedy.

I'm actually named after a Red Wing.    Thank god it wasn't old bald Harold!

albrecht

Oh yeah. A good documentary to watch is "Red Army" about the Soviet hockey team, training, etc. I hesitate to predict because my Caps have a history of performing well in the season and then "something" happens in post-season and we can't get it together. Disappointed about the Stars this year after last's but could tell with the selling and trades that we had given up (as a franchise, not the players.) But no divided loyalties post-season this time! Let's go Caps!

As a Redwing fan it is horrible. Ugh, I think the GM Holland needs to be fired. He is getting older and not adapting to the salary cap era.

Agree on the great series. That Yzerman overtime goal was amazing. On the plus side, STL 48 season drought with out a cup will likely continue. Toronto is tied with you as well with 48 years, for longest  streak.

trostol

Pens-Jackets will be a war..who ever stays healthy wins that...my vote is for Jackets

Sens-Bruins depends on how legally dirty Marchand can be...no but really I think they Bruins take Sens out in 6

Habs-Rangers is really a toss up..

Caps-Leafs is a good experience for the LEafs but i think they get steamrolled in 5

Oilers-Sharks should be a good series and we will see if the Youth of the Oilers can overcome the ancient experience of the Sharks..think it goes 7

Wild-Blues should be a decent series..think the Wild take it in 6

Ducks-Flames another team that is up and coming vs older team...Ducks in 6

Hawks-Preds could go the way of Pens-Jackets..who ever comes out most healthy wins

Quote from: trostol on April 11, 2017, 05:58:22 PM
Pens-Jackets will be a war..who ever stays healthy wins that...my vote is for Jackets

Sens-Bruins depends on how legally dirty Marchand can be...no but really I think they Bruins take Sens out in 6

Habs-Rangers is really a toss up..

Caps-Leafs is a good experience for the LEafs but i think they get steamrolled in 5

Oilers-Sharks should be a good series and we will see if the Youth of the Oilers can overcome the ancient experience of the Sharks..think it goes 7

Wild-Blues should be a decent series..think the Wild take it in 6

Ducks-Flames another team that is up and coming vs older team...Ducks in 6

Hawks-Preds could go the way of Pens-Jackets..who ever comes out most healthy wins

I hate Chicago, anyone but them. I'd like to see the Canadian teams do well.

GravitySucks

Quote from: ge30542 on April 11, 2017, 05:37:08 PM
Gravity Sucks is a diehard Blackhawks fan, he'll break down the playoffs for us, he knows things.

I got the cup for the Hawks in 2015 by growing my beard. After seeing the pictures of the Hobbit that attended my daughter's HS graduation, I decided not to do it last year. Too bad the Blues couldn't capitalize.

This year I am on the fence.

I am glad to see some Canadian teams in the playoffs this year.

I would live to see the Hawks and Canadiens in a Cup final. My preference is to always have an original 6 final. And I really hate Boston.

Good to see the Leafs make the playoffs. Too bad they choked at the end and have to take on the Capitals. Auston Mathews is going to get some good experience but I don't see the Caps falling apart until they play Montreal.

Mixed feelings about the Red Wings. On the one hand I am glad to see the salary cap finally catch up on them. On the other hand I do like the original 6 being in the playoffs and I do like the proud tradition of the streak. Never did understand the octopus throwing though. How many Octupi are stocked in Detroit fish markets?

=Schlyder=

Sens have eaten Bruins lunch all season.   Bruins are lucky to make the playoffs.  LOL

trostol

Quote from: nooryisawesomeâ,,¢ on April 11, 2017, 06:04:05 PM
I hate Chicago, anyone but them. I'd like to see the Canadian teams do well.

honestly i want someone new to win lol so someone like the Sharks or Wild or Jackets

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on April 11, 2017, 05:43:41 PM
Oh yeah.   I really loved to watch Larionov play...

I saw every Sharks playoff game when they had Larionov, Makarov, and Irbe.  Haven't gone to a playoff game since that era.

They won't ever win as long as Thornton and Marleau are on the ice during key moments.  They should both retire.

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 11, 2017, 06:12:39 PM
I got the cup for the Hawks in 2015 by growing my beard. After seeing the pictures of the Hobbit that attended my daughter's HS graduation, I decided not to do it last year. Too bad the Blues couldn't capitalize.

This year I am on the fence.

I am glad to see some Canadian teams in the playoffs this year.

I would live to see the Hawks and Canadiens in a Cup final. My preference is to always have an original 6 final. And I really hate Boston.

Good to see the Leafs make the playoffs. Too bad they choked at the end and have to take on the Capitals. Auston Mathews is going to get some good experience but I don't see the Caps falling apart until they play Montreal.

Mixed feelings about the Red Wings. On the one hand I am glad to see the salary cap finally catch up on them. On the other hand I do like the original 6 being in the playoffs and I do like the proud tradition of the streak. Never did understand the octopus throwing though. How many Octupi are stocked in Detroit fish markets?

Good to see the Leafs make the playoffs?   Bleech. 

The Octopus thing goes back to the Original Six days.   Clean sweep in the playoffs was eight straight wins.     Eight legs = Eight wins.   

The Detroit area is full of Greeks - no shortage of Octopi.

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on April 11, 2017, 06:42:16 PM
Good to see the Leafs make the playoffs?   Bleech. 

The Octopus thing goes back to the Original Six days.   Clean sweep in the playoffs was eight straight wins.     Eight legs = Eight wins.   

The Detroit area is full of Greeks - no shortage of Octopi.

The Caps owner is a Greek. Let's Go Caps!

starrmtn001

Quote from: ©StarrMountain® 2010 on April 11, 2017, 05:30:34 PM
Will there be a weekly podcast and pool this year? ???  That would be very cool. ;D

Guess not.

akwilly

A smart bet would be to take blackhawks at 5-1 to win it all and bet half as much on caps at 3-1. Assuming the caps meet Pitt on way to cup bet Pitt to win series assuming you get + moneys. Granted all these bets lesson the payouts but unless something crazy happens you are almost guaranteed a profit.

ge30542

Quote from: trostol on April 11, 2017, 05:58:22 PM

I agree, I don't believe that the Pens will walk over the Jackets.

=Schlyder=

LOL  Bruins get zero shots on net in the 2nd period vs the Senators.  :D

ge30542

I would sooooo love to see the Leafs advance past the Caps.

albrecht

Nice come back and OT win for The Caps! But it was worrying at first. I hope they can get over their history in the post-season. Let's Go Caps!

GravitySucks

Nashville sure seemed to want that game more than the Hawks did. Only a little nervous.

Jackstar

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 13, 2017, 10:49:31 PM
Nashville sure seemed to want that game more than the Hawks did. Only a little nervous.

Your name is "You're Wanting."

ge30542

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 13, 2017, 10:49:31 PM
Preds may be hungrier Grav.

GravitySucks

Quote from: ge30542 on April 14, 2017, 09:46:23 AM
Preds may be hungrier Grav.

I agree. Hopefully the Hawks experience will see them through. You are not supposed to lose a home game when you hold your opponent to a single goal in your own house. Their passing sucked last night. Good forechecking by Nashville.

albrecht

Rangers/Habs game getting good n rough for beginning of playoff games. Nice.

akwilly

Quote from: albrecht on April 14, 2017, 06:19:22 PM
Rangers/Habs game getting good n rough for beginning of playoff games. Nice.
none of the first games went over 5.5 goals so I bet all games today to go over. The rangers game looks promising

albrecht

Quote from: akwilly on April 14, 2017, 06:55:39 PM
none of the first games went over 5.5 goals so I bet all games today to go over. The rangers game looks promising
So far you are right about the Rangers/Habs game over. The Habs just tied it up to go to OT at 3-3.

ge30542

The Blues take the first two on the road!
(still holding my breath on Jake Allen though)