• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Movies that looked great but wound up being terrible

Started by bateman, March 07, 2017, 05:02:05 PM

Kolchak

Quote from: ItsOver on May 21, 2017, 06:08:36 AM
Did you actually see Alien Covenant?  Anyone, yet?  FX was showing "Prometheus" last night.  Fortunately, a thunderstorm interrupted the satellite signal so I didn't endure much of it.

Yes. It was bad. Very bad.

Not only does it completely throw out the few interesting ideas in Prometheus, but it shits all over core elements of the mythology and changes canon as well. The people in it are less intelligent than those in Prometheus somehow and the plot holes are larger. I say "people" because there are no real characters.

It's broad and dumb and insulting in multiple ways.

Yorkshire pud

Interstellar. I went to the cinema expecting it to deliver much. I had the impression the writers lost interest a third of the way through (maybe earlier) and just asked their neighbours and friends to throw them ideas. The only great moment was the organ soundtrack going along with the docking with the damaged Endurance space station. In the cinema that made my body vibrate. Mere TV surround sound doesn't do it justice.

https://youtu.be/a3lcGnMhvsA

Quote from: Taaroa on May 21, 2017, 05:33:15 AM
I don't take offence, but the remake is a classic bad film and is only known for how terrible it is. Sort of like The Room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo_5ZKcYROw

Then we don't disagree.  Now I have to watch it sometime to see how bad it is.   :D  Thanks!!

whoozit

Quote from: Yorkshire Pud on May 21, 2017, 11:05:45 AM
In the cinema that made my body vibrate. Mere TV surround sound doesn't do it justice.
Obviously your home system doesn't go to eleven.

Weirdoradio

Quote from: Kolchak on May 21, 2017, 10:45:08 AM
Yes. It was bad. Very bad.

Not only does it completely throw out the few interesting ideas in Prometheus, but it shits all over core elements of the mythology and changes canon as well. The people in it are less intelligent than those in Prometheus somehow and the plot holes are larger. I say "people" because there are no real characters.

It's broad and dumb and insulting in multiple ways.

This.
100% this.
Also the entire middle section felt like Scott was trying to Blade Runner-ize the flick.
Total letdown â€" the poor characterizations made eventual deaths way less impactful, too.

bateman

Hog

albrecht

Quote from: bateman⭐️ on May 21, 2017, 08:23:29 PM
HBO's Madoff movie starring Robert De Niro as Robert De Niro.

https://youtu.be/4G2carVhVJk
They should've gone old school Hollywood and got an Indian, dot not feather, to play Madoff.

Quote from: bateman⭐️ on May 21, 2017, 08:23:29 PM
HBO's Madoff movie starring Robert De Niro as Robert De Niro.

https://youtu.be/4G2carVhVJk

Once upon a time, he used to be a great actor who brought something different to the table with each performance.  Since 1990 though he has pretty much just played himself.

bateman

Alien: Covenant. Where to even start. A failure on almost every single level.

Quote from: b🎱man on May 23, 2017, 08:54:13 PM

I liked the first two Alien pictures but I didn't bother with any after those.  Ridley has lost it.  Maybe he should make another movie about Rome. 

bateman

"Dude put your face in this plant lololol nothing bad will happen really"

bateman

SPOILER
P
O
I
L
E
R

And the switcheroo at the end. You'd have to be legally retarded or never have seen another movie before not to see that one coming a mile away.

bateman

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 23, 2017, 08:58:23 PM
I liked the first two Alien pictures but I didn't bother with any after those.  Ridley has lost it.  Maybe he should make another movie about Rome. 

It's like when an elderly relative crashes their car into a house a la Billy Joel. It's time to have a talk with Ridley and take the keys away.

Kolchak

Quote from: b🎱man on May 23, 2017, 08:54:13 PM

You were warned.

At first I was confused. Then I was angry for a solid 48 hours. Then I went through a period of rationalization - maybe Ridley is doing something secretly genius here that I just didn't see. Now it's just turned to mourning.

For bonus blood boiling, I'd recommend this (spoilery) interview where Scott admits that he completely scrapped key elements from Prometheus based off twitter comments. Also, he seems drunk throughout and flat out lies about Neil Blomkamp's alien sequel not having a script. Both James Cameron and Sigourney Weaver have talked about reading said script.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo30bZc10D0

Quote from: Kolchak on May 26, 2017, 12:42:28 AM
You were warned.

At first I was confused. Then I was angry for a solid 48 hours. Then I went through a period of rationalization - maybe Ridley is doing something secretly genius here that I just didn't see. Now it's just turned to mourning.

Went in with low expectations, came away legitimately surprised by how soulless and dumb it was.  No atmosphere, tension, or likeable characters. I might just stop watching Hollywood movies until California is resettled after the new civil war is won and industry begins anew.

ItsOver

Quote from: malachi.martini 🍸 on May 26, 2017, 06:42:38 AM
... I might just stop watching Hollywood movies until California is resettled after the new civil war is won and industry begins anew.
Ha!  I pretty much stopped watching most of the crap rolling out of Hollywood years ago.  With most of it seeming to be some super hero junk, Fast and Furious ad infinitum, and/ or CGI, I have zero interest.  Saturday morning cartoons offer just as much entertainment value.

Quote from: malachi.martini 🍸 on May 26, 2017, 06:42:38 AM
Went in with low expectations, came away legitimately surprised by how soulless and dumb it was.  No atmosphere, tension, or likeable characters. I might just stop watching Hollywood movies until California is resettled after the new civil war is won and industry begins anew.

I pretty much just watch old stuff now. 9 out of 10 films produced by Hollywood these days suck.

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 26, 2017, 06:58:28 AM
I pretty much just watch old stuff now. 9 out of 10 films produced by Hollywood these days suck.

Quote from: ItsOver on May 26, 2017, 06:55:51 AM
Ha!  I pretty much stopped watching most of the crap rolling out of Hollywood years ago.  With most of it seeming to be some super hero junk, Fast and Furious ad infinitum, and/ or CGI, I have zero interest.  Saturday morning cartoons offer just as much entertainment value.

I'm with you guys. I've seen maybe a dozen new films this past year, one or two weren't complete trash? I'll probably torrent the new Star Wars, just to see how much more life and joy they can drain from it.

albrecht

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 26, 2017, 06:58:28 AM
Yup, with online, torrents, Criterion, and TCM and free satellite channels that show good stuff: why bother with the high-budget, CGI, politically motivated, churned out, race-to-the-bottom of being 'edgy' trash, without acting or even plot often? Though, a bit, troubling TCM going to more modern 'classics' sometimes, but still holding down the fort and AMC has already been lost for old, good movies- basically, and going with their own stuff.

the_Stranger

Quote from: albrecht on May 26, 2017, 10:25:23 PM
Yup, with online, torrents, Criterion, and TCM and free satellite channels that show good stuff: why bother with the high-budget, CGI, politically motivated, churned out, race-to-the-bottom of being 'edgy' trash, without acting or even plot often? Though, a bit, troubling TCM going to more modern 'classics' sometimes, but still holding down the fort and AMC has already been lost for old, good movies- basically, and going with their own stuff.

Maybe Kirk Cameron or Clint Eastwood will make something that will get your interest back, eh?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: the_Stranger on May 27, 2017, 11:43:46 AM
Maybe Kirk Cameron or Clint Eastwood will make something that will get your interest back, eh?

Or maybe one day you'll be an original enough thinker to do something else besides constantly hammering away at conservative stereotypes on Bellgab, eh?  ::)

Robert

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on March 07, 2017, 07:16:28 PMAlmost all best parts of The Men Who Stare at Goats were in the thirty second trailer shown on TV. I did have fun wondering what happened to the guys who took in helicopter while tripping their brains out, though.  :D
That reminds me:  Bert Stubblebine's wife, Dr. Rima Laibow, was going to participate in seancing Bert using Bob Blumetti's runic Ouija board at my house, but I preferred to go for a walk with some other pagan friends on the Sussex Branch trail instead that day.  Latest plan is to do the seance at Bob B.'s instead.  In case you didn't know, Gen. Stubblebine was the one in charge of the projects that movie made fun of, and he died this winter here in NJ.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Robert on May 27, 2017, 05:29:50 PM
That reminds me:  Bert Stubblebine's wife, Dr. Rima Laibow, was going to participate in seancing Bert using Bob Blumetti's runic Ouija board at my house, but I preferred to go for a walk with some other pagan friends on the Sussex Branch trail instead that day.  Latest plan is to do the seance at Bob B.'s instead.  In case you didn't know, Gen. Stubblebine was the one in charge of the projects that movie made fun of, and he died this winter here in NJ.

Salute!

Quote from: the_Stranger on May 27, 2017, 11:43:46 AM

LOL.  So how was that Power Rangers movie? <chortle>  I hear they are showing Wonder Woman for women only in Austin, TX.  Be sure to get your ticket. ;D