• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

I'm not watching/have not watched/will never watch *movie title* thread

Started by Camazotz Automat, February 21, 2017, 04:07:30 PM

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on February 21, 2017, 10:33:19 PM
Working in an ER I see plenty of real-life cruelty and suffering, would never consider violence as entertainment w/o something redeeming about it. Bond can be cruel, but he's ultimately a hero and a good guy, with human vulnerabilities. There were no heroes in Pulp Fiction.

I'm with you on the gratuitous violence though I oppose censorship.  My favorite genre is probably horror and all too often what passes for horror these days is sick and twisted.  I wasn't into slasher films. Halloween was a fine movie but what followed afterwards in slasher films was often times sickening.

I don't get why a movie with numerous decapitations and other bloodletting gets at most an R while an erotic film that shows genitalia will automatically get an NC-17 .

I've never walked out of a movie.  The closest I probably came to doing that was when I watched Born On The Fourth Of July.  I hate that movie with a passion.

Quote from: 21st Century Man on February 22, 2017, 05:20:18 PM
My favorite of his films would probably be Jackie Brown and I did like Inglorious Bastards quite a lot too.

IB was a lot of fun.  I enjoyed Kill Bill quite a bit, too, but my circle of friends/peers didn't give a flip about it.

BobGrau

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on February 22, 2017, 06:07:46 AM
Wait. "motherfucker" is compelling dialogue? lol

If I simply acknowledge your superior intelligence upfront will you leave me in peace to enjoy being dumb? Asking for a friend.

zeebo

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on February 22, 2017, 05:47:33 PM
...I enjoyed Kill Bill quite a bit, too, but my circle of friends/peers didn't give a flip about it.

I liked them but mostly since I thought Uma was fantastic in those.  For me his two best were his earliest: Res. Dogs (great dialogue and cast) and True Romance (which was actually his first script but he didn't direct).  Both bloodbaths, but with style and originality. 

Movie remakes I hope are never remade and the actors I pray don't star in them

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and The Sting with Tom Cruise and Keanu Reeves

Movie remakes I would like to see remade and the actors I want to star in them

It's a Wonderful Life/Danny Trejo

albrecht

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 22, 2017, 10:27:12 PM

Directed by Rob Zombie with Sheri Moon Zombie playing Donna Reed's part. And Sid Haig who forgets the cash in the newspaper.

Lt.Uhura

I wish I could have the two hours back I spent watching As Good As It Gets. It was bad enough seeing Diane Keaton as her grinning self attempting to recycle Annie Hall, but it broke my heart to see the great Jack Nicholson stoop to the role of the aging playboy. Jack and Diane are probably old friends and seemed to be having fun, but I could tell Jack's heart wasn't in it, in spite of the fact he actually won Best Actor in such a silly movie.

*I should add I'm doing a Jack Nicholson retrospective and just rewatched The Shining the other day for the first time in decades. Jack's performance was nothing short of pure genius.

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: BobGrau on February 22, 2017, 07:19:47 PM
If I simply acknowledge your superior intelligence upfront will you leave me in peace to enjoy being dumb? Asking for a friend.

Haha, no problem. I was being sarcastic. But I do remember the old days when you heard MF used once or twice in a film and it really carried some dramatic weight.  ;)

Quote from: albrecht on February 22, 2017, 10:35:52 PM
Directed by Rob Zombie with Sheri Moon Zombie playing Donna Reed's part. And Sid Haig who forgets the cash in the newspaper.

I was thinking Robert Rodriguez directing, with Salma Hayek as Mary and Cheech Marin as Clarence. Sid Haig as Uncle Billy is an unconventional, but intriguing choice that might just work, and Christopher Walken is my first choice for Mr. Potter.

albrecht

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 22, 2017, 10:48:48 PM
I was thinking Robert Rodriguez directing, with Salma Hayek as Mary and Cheech Marin as Clarence. Sid Haig as Uncle Billy is an unconventional, but intriguing choice that might just work, and Christopher Walken is my first choice for Mr. Potter.
The first highlight is a well-worn, but still effective, movie/sitcom strategy/trope. The second is an awesome choice!  ;D

Lt.Uhura

Forrest Gump/John Malkovich

aldousburbank

Dune
Lord of the Rings etc
Dark Crystal

Not happening.
Also, anything with Nic Cage.
Never.

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on February 22, 2017, 10:37:43 PM

*I should add I'm doing a Jack Nicholson retrospective and just rewatched The Shining the other day for the first time in decades. Jack's performance was nothing short of pure genius.

He's always good even when the movie isn't, and The Last Detail is probably my favorite of his performances, with Chinatowen a close second.

Are any of his old biker/psychedelic psycho movies part of your retrospective? It's fun to see him and Bruce Dern snacking on the scenery in those!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061758/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_52

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066286/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_45

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063469/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_48

albrecht

Quote from: aldousburbank on February 22, 2017, 11:10:35 PM
Dune
Lord of the Rings etc
Dark Crystal

Not happening.
Never.
Come on. No "Fast Times at Ridgemont High?"

Quote from: aldousburbank on February 22, 2017, 11:10:35 PM
Dune
Lord of the Rings etc
Dark Crystal

Not happening.
Never.

If you don't watch his movies, you don't get to call him Nic. Sorry, that's just how it works. I don't make the rules.

"Merry Christmas, movie house! Merry Christmas, Emporium! Merry Christmas, you wonderful old Building and Loan!"

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 22, 2017, 11:12:17 PM
He's always good even when the movie isn't, and The Last Detail is probably my favorite of his performances, with Chinatowen a close second.

Are any of his old biker/psychedelic psycho movies part of your retrospective? It's fun to see him and Bruce Dern snacking on the scenery in those.

Haha, love Bruce Dern too. I've only seen one of those. Not Jack's proudest roles, but fun to watch anyway. Can you imagine what it must have been like with Jack and Boris Karloff on a Roger Corman
set?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2YRo6dskac

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on February 22, 2017, 05:47:33 PM
IB was a lot of fun.  I enjoyed Kill Bill quite a bit, too, but my circle of friends/peers didn't give a flip about it.

I have yet to watch the Kill Bill films but I've seen everything else by Tarantino.

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on February 22, 2017, 10:43:23 PM
Haha, no problem. I was being sarcastic. But I do remember the old days when you heard MF used once or twice in a film and it really carried some dramatic weight.  ;)

Right.  Now you hear it all of the time and it has lost its luster.

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on February 22, 2017, 10:37:43 PM
I wish I could have the two hours back I spent watching As Good As It Gets*

*EDIT: Oops, it was actually Something's Gotta Give.

Lt.Uhura

That wreck of a movie called Crash (Best Picture(!),2005), which is one reason I don't bother with the Acadamy Awards anymore.

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on February 23, 2017, 12:04:59 AM
That wreck of a movie called Crash (Best Picture(!),2005), which is one reason I don't bother with the Acadamy Awards anymore.

We may not agree much politically but  you and I have similar opinions about movies.  Crash was a very stupid movie.  The storylines were all over the place and following the whole thing was a chore.  The last Best Picture I loved was The Artist and it was a silent movie about silent movies.  When the Academy starts awarding good films again,  I may start tuning in but until that time, forget it. It is nothing but a circle jerk these days with emphasis on jerks.

My picks for Best Picture this year are Hell or High Water and Hacksaw Ridge.  I really have no desire to see the other films being nominated.

Taaroa

I have not watched Silence despite wanting to, since in a city of over 4mil people there are sessions only in a couple of cinemas and all of the times are inconvenient. I guess this is what happens when a movie flops overseas before being released here.

Meanwhile John Wick 2 won't be released until late April or mid May.

Meet the Parents
Meet the Fockers
Little Fockers
Girls Gone Wild: The Best of Endless Spring Break Volume 3!