• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

I'm not watching/have not watched/will never watch *movie title* thread

Started by Camazotz Automat, February 21, 2017, 04:07:30 PM

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 21, 2017, 08:59:34 PM
The War of the Worlds and Day the Earth Stood Still remakes. Seriously, what the hell is wrong with people who do stuff like that?

^^^^^Amen to this. I couldn't agree more.

Lt.Uhura

I think the worst first 5 minutes of a movie I ever watched before diving for the remote was this--

GravitySucks

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on February 21, 2017, 09:30:46 PM
I think the worst first 5 minutes of a movie I ever watched before diving for the remote was this--

It is the only musical I walked out of.

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 21, 2017, 09:33:29 PM

I've been put off toward musicals ever since. Did you see/like La La Land?

GravitySucks

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on February 21, 2017, 09:39:54 PM
I've been put off toward musicals ever since. Did you see/like La La Land?

Didn't see it. I used to buy season tickets in Houston but haven't in about 8 years.

Big Chicken

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective  I've been told I was made sport of in it.     :'(

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 21, 2017, 09:33:29 PM

Brings up good question: "what movies have you walked out of?" Probably more rare now with internet, reviews, and trailers so you "know" more about what your getting into or not going. Or watching at home or for "free." But movies in which you paid and said "forget it" and walked. And did both/all walk? Or decide I paid so might as well watch. Or demand money back (there was one theater here who would refund or "pass" for another movie later.)

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on February 21, 2017, 09:48:06 PM
Brings up good question: "what movies have you walked out of?" Probably more rare now with internet, reviews, and trailers so you "know" more about what your getting into or not going. Or watching at home or for "free." But movies in which you paid and said "forget it" and walked. And did both/all walk? Or decide I paid so might as well watch. Or demand money back (there was one theater here who would refund or "pass" for another movie later.)

Waiting to exhale

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on February 21, 2017, 09:30:46 PM

Speaking of Madonna, W.E

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1536048/

Anyone who wants to watch the official trailer can do so on YT because I don't have the heart to inflict it on this thread.

Lt.Uhura

I know I'm in the minority here cause people love it, but I walked out on Pulp Fiction. I found nothing redeeming about the movie or its characters. And I don't want to see the creepy John Travolta ever again. Didn't like Kill Bill either. I'm not a Q.Tarantino hater tho cause I liked Reservoir Dogs, loved Jackie Brown. I've yet to see any of his later ones.

Quote from: albrecht on February 21, 2017, 09:48:06 PM
Brings up good question: "what movies have you walked out of?"

I can't recall ever walking out of a movie, although years ago I left a Beach Boys concert before it was over because they were mailing it in with postage due.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on February 21, 2017, 09:58:27 PM
I know I'm in the minority here cause people love it, but I walked out on Pulp Fiction. I found nothing redeeming about the movie or its characters. And I don't want to see the creepy John Travolta ever again. Didn't like Kill Bill either. I'm not a Q.Tarantino hater tho cause I liked Reservoir Dogs, loved Jackie Brown. I've yet to see any of his later ones.

I'll be honest. The first time I saw it at the theater I found it literally shocking, especially the butting of graphic ultra-violent scenes up against comic relief. It was gritty and disturbing and my first reactions to it were mixed but over the years I've come to acknowledge it's genius. I don't think he was just being gratuitous in his use of violence but there is an awful lot of it in his movies. The last one he made (The Western-can't remember the name) seemed more gratuitous in that way.

albrecht

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 21, 2017, 10:00:56 PM
I can't recall ever walking out of a movie, although years ago I left a Beach Boys concert before it was over because they were mailing it in with postage due.
Ive bailed on one once but can't remember it by mutual consent and like "this Is a waste of time, let's go looks prior." Now though, usually you know so much about the movie you just dont go. Did demand a refund recently n got "free passes" but it was because the film wasn't shown right, some problem with the print (reshowing of Miracle on 42nd St where first 5 or so minutes was out of focus and black.) Ive bailed on classes, back when, when I could sense BS or professor was bad (could get $ back if dropped soon.)

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on February 21, 2017, 10:05:57 PM
I'll be honest. The first time I saw it at the theater I found it literally shocking, especially the butting of graphic ultra-violent scenes up against comic relief. It was gritty and disturbing and my first reactions to it were mixed but over the years I've come to acknowledge it's genius. I don't think he was just being gratuitous in his use of violence but there is an awful lot of it in his movies. The last one he made (The Western-can't remember the name) seemed more gratuitous in that way.

The 007 James Bond movies are full of gratuitous violence interspersed with humor and I love them. If that's what Tarantino was going for with PF he failed, IMO.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on February 21, 2017, 09:58:27 PM

I would have walked out if Hateful Eight if I had been at a theater. I don't get Tarantino.

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 21, 2017, 10:10:06 PM
I would have walked out if Hateful Eight if I had been at a theater. I don't get Tarantino.
Got that one online and hit "off" after a while. Bad movie. I get that Taratino is trying for the "exploitation" low-budget, shock films of the 70s but "not good," to use a Trumpism.

The only movies I've ever walked out of were Starship Troopers and Congo

A part of me died inside with each and I'm still reeling.............

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on February 21, 2017, 10:10:05 PM
The 007 James Bond movies are full of gratuitous violence interspersed with humor and I love them. If that's what Tarantino was going for with PF he failed, IMO.

Bond is more comic book. I think what disturbed you about PF is that it seemed real. The thought occurred to me while watching that as sick as a lot of it was I was sure very similar stories like that were going on all the time around us. I had the same thought when watching the movie Hostel, which was equally, if not more so disturbing.

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on February 21, 2017, 10:21:21 PM
Bond is more comic book. I think what disturbed you about PF is that it seemed real. The thought occurred to me while watching that as sick as a lot of it was I was sure very similar stories like that were going on all the time around us. I had the same thought when watching the movie Hostel, which was equally, if not more so disturbing.

Working in an ER I see plenty of real-life cruelty and suffering, would never consider violence as entertainment w/o something redeeming about it. Bond can be cruel, but he's ultimately a hero and a good guy, with human vulnerabilities. There were no heroes in Pulp Fiction.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on February 21, 2017, 10:33:19 PM
Working in an ER I see plenty of real-life cruelty and suffering, would never consider violence as entertainment w/o something redeeming about it. Bond can be cruel, but he's ultimately a hero and a good guy, with human vulnerabilities. There were no heroes in Pulp Fiction.

Yeah, my point exactly. It was more like real life while at the same time being fantastic (in the literal sense of that word).  ;)

You seem morally opposed to it or something though. Would you feel that way about a gritty movie about a hospital operating room that showed lots of graphic violence or is it just that all your movies have to have clearly defined heroes and villains in them?  ???

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 21, 2017, 10:18:54 PM
The only movies I've ever walked out of were Starship Troopers and Congo

A part of me died inside with each and I'm still reeling.............
Ugh that fake ape. The book was good. Sorta a "reboot" of Doyle, Verne etc type of stuff.

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on February 21, 2017, 10:38:22 PM
Yeah, my point exactly. It was more like real life while at the same time being fantastic (in the literal sense of that word).  ;)

You seem morally opposed to it or something though. Would you feel that way about a gritty movie about a hospital operating room that showed lots of graphic violence or is it just that all your movies have to have clearly defined heroes and villains in them?  ???

I don't think violence and gore can be the basis for any decent film, without a compelling story and dialogue. Low-budget slasher films are just stupid, I'd never waste my time and money.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on February 21, 2017, 10:45:30 PM
I don't think violence and gore can be the basis for any decent film, without a compelling story and dialogue. Low-budget slasher films are just stupid, I'd never waster my time and money.

Did you actually watch Pulp Fiction? Comparing it to a slasher film is asinine. It actually scares me that there are morality squad types like you out there.  ;)

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on February 21, 2017, 10:47:59 PM
Did you actually watch Pulp Fiction? Comparing it to a slasher film is asinine. It actually scares me that there are morality squad types like you out there.  ;)

I didn't call PF a low budget slasher film. I just didn't like it, watched about half and walked out.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on February 21, 2017, 10:49:23 PM
I didn't call PF a low budget slasher film. I just didn't like it, watched about half and walked out.

Yep.  ::)

Quote from: albrecht on February 21, 2017, 10:44:37 PM
Ugh that fake ape. The book was good. Sorta a "reboot" of Doyle, Verne etc type of stuff.

I enjoyed the book immensely.   Went to the Taco Bell and got the watch.  Was there opening night and then the Ape came   :o
I couldn't deal with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jbjADKtg-Q

albrecht

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on February 21, 2017, 10:33:19 PM
I wasn't a huge fan of boxing but admit was exciting sometimes. But the whole MMA stuff that started a decade or so ago I can't get into, especially now with women fighting. Granted all, at least here, are rational actors and adults who consent but I don't like. Maybe less actual damaging than boxing but I think a disturbing trend to violence as spectacle and entertainment. "Not good," to use a Trumpism again.

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 21, 2017, 10:50:08 PM
I enjoyed the book immensely.   Went to the Taco Bell and got the watch.  Was there opening night and then the Ape came   :o
I couldn't deal with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jbjADKtg-Q
I distinctly remember saying, to myself, "this would make a great movie," reading the book (no big thing cause his stuff made great movies) but Congo was not. Ugh, the ape.

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: albrecht on February 21, 2017, 10:50:24 PM
I wasn't a huge fan of boxing but admit was exciting sometimes. But the whole MMA stuff that started a decade or so ago I can't get into, especially now with women fighting. Granted all, at least here, are rational actors and adults who consent but I don't like. Maybe less actual damaging than boxing but I think a disturbing trend to violence as spectacle and entertainment. "Not good," to use a Trumpism again.

I think the glut of zombie films made in the last few decades are good examples of a sub-genre of film that can be made for shallow shock value only, or as a brilliant allegory/commentary on humanity.