• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Is Bellgab Forum Dying?

Started by damon, February 05, 2017, 06:27:57 PM

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Σ> on February 10, 2017, 04:09:30 PM
boo.

this forum is engineered to provide the best possible shitting experience. 

godspeed, sir!

starrmtn001

Quote from: Σ> on February 10, 2017, 04:09:30 PM
boo.
I'm sorry, MV. :'(

I'll PM you why I agreed with that post, If, you want to know.  It's personal, so I'm not going to post it here.

aldousburbank

Quote from: Σ> on February 10, 2017, 05:14:49 PM
this forum is engineered to provide the best possible shitting experience. 

Bellgab- The Squatty Potty of interweb forums!

ItsOver

Quote from: Mike Honcho on February 10, 2017, 04:34:16 PM
MV, I wouldn't change a thing. It gives me something to do while taking a shit.
Praise MV.  Better than prune juice.

Dyna-X

Quote from: Σ> on February 10, 2017, 04:09:16 PM

so is it just certain words you'd like censored, regardless of context, or is it the general expression of certain thoughts and ideas that should be picked apart?  if context will be considered, i suppose the determination will be made by the proposed overseer referenced above?  if you're not asking for the censoring of particular words, are you instead proposing user accounts be wholly banned if the individual is believed to be a user of the website 4chan?  and what constitutes "use" of 4chan?  is it simply viewing the website, or must one actually post messages on it?  who will finance the cyber forensics task force required to determine if one has "used" 4chan prior to or while using bellgab?  i know bellgab doesn't make enough money to pay those salaries.  and if a criminal user has posted messages on 4chan, will he/she face bellgab prosecution if the content of those messages didn't specifically violate bellgab's standards of "intelligent discourse"?  so many questions, but hey... you've got it figured out and i want to learn.

the epileptic dry-drunk mouth breathing insane neanderthal operations manager of a radio group i once worked for was fond of the term "raise the bar."  he dropped it at every staff meeting (tuesday mornings).  ever since, my keen sense of bullshit detection has been piqued when i hear/read it, almost without variation... but that's neither here nor there.

I take it the sloped forehead one also used phrases like "World Class" and was probably into micromanagement of every dial in the station?

OK, as an illustration. Another special interest site I am on (similar traffic level to here) is ran by a control freak. He fixes grammar, spelling and formatting of posts. In the thirteen years it has operated I have only seen a few trolls and they lasted all but an hour at most. I would say anything worse than a PG-13 standard or so much as calling another member a meathead would get a poster banned. The environment there is stifling and I don't go there very much other than for information or dropping a tersely written FYI. On a dial of tolerance I would rate it at about 0 or 1.  4chan is about the furthest extreme the other way - a solid 10.  Bellgab I would rate about 8.5    I tend to believe that if it was around 6 or 7 on this dial the site would draw and retain more members. Glorification of Nazis, threats of violence, feces, etc. might be the kinds of things you wouldn't discuss if you were sitting at a Dennys or Perkins and a family was in the booth across the aisle. So instead of the cubicle standard call it the family restaurant standard on a Friday night. Sure a swear word will slip through now and then, but it is not swearing for the sake of such. Of course some here would be like this at a restaurant, but when people like this leave everyone remaining all look at each other with an understood glance - I'm glad they are gone! A good rule of thumb - don't say anything that you wouldn't say to someone's face. If you were at Dennys or on skype with me, I wouldn't say anything different to you or anyone I have encountered here.

Would the posters of hot asians bring them up on their I-phone if they were at the Pahrump picnic and Airyn and Asia were present? I hope not.  And people wonder why Art doesn't post much any more. Didn't he bring up civility? Of course the idea would work if one were his friend and he was single and chatting on a Friday night. Context.

I don't have it all figured out. I wish I did. And I don't want you to think I am putting down the site as a whole. I have had some great times here and I would rate the majority of the posters with at least 50 posts that have been around for a year that remain as pretty sharp, at least in their own way.

Ciardelo

Quote from: Dyna-X on February 10, 2017, 08:03:22 PM
I take it the sloped forehead one also used phrases like "World Class" and was probably into micromanagement of every dial in the station?

OK, as an illustration. Another special interest site I am on (similar traffic level to here) is ran by a control freak. He fixes grammar, spelling and formatting of posts. In the thirteen years it has operated I have only seen a few trolls and they lasted all but an hour at most. I would say anything worse than a PG-13 standard or so much as calling another member a meathead would get a poster banned. The environment there is stifling and I don't go there very much other than for information or dropping a tersely written FYI. On a dial of tolerance I would rate it at about 0 or 1.  4chan is about the furthest extreme the other way - a solid 10.  Bellgab I would rate about 8.5    I tend to believe that if it was around 6 or 7 on this dial the site would draw and retain more members. Glorification of Nazis, threats of violence, feces, etc. might be the kinds of things you wouldn't discuss if you were sitting at a Dennys or Perkins and a family was in the booth across the aisle. So instead of the cubicle standard call it the family restaurant standard on a Friday night. Sure a swear word will slip through now and then, but it is not swearing for the sake of such. Of course some here would be like this at a restaurant, but when people like this leave everyone remaining all look at each other with an understood glance - I'm glad they are gone! A good rule of thumb - don't say anything that you wouldn't say to someone's face. If you were at Dennys or on skype with me, I wouldn't say anything different to you or anyone I have encountered here.

Would the posters of hot asians bring them up on their I-phone if they were at the Pahrump picnic and Airyn and Asia were present? I hope not.  And people wonder why Art doesn't post much any more. Didn't he bring up civility? Of course the idea would work if one were his friend and he was single and chatting on a Friday night. Context.

I don't have it all figured out. I wish I did. And I don't want you to think I am putting down the site as a whole. I have had some great times here and I would rate the majority of the posters with at least 50 posts that have been around for a year that remain as pretty sharp, at least in their own way.

A restaurant you say? ;)

https://youtu.be/mvZgwtpPmLY

Also, where are all the hot Asians on BellGab? asking for a friend.

Dr. MD MD

Jesus, that's tedious! So, it's that the censorship isn't finely tuned enough for you? I'm sure, given enough time, you'd work out the scientific formula to dial it in just right where only thoughts and ideas that you agreed with would get through. You just better hope you never change your mind about anything ever again.  ::) ;D

Tiger Lilly is very popular on /x/ right now.

http://boards.4chan.org/x/thread/18597826#bottom

Lots of impregnation talk....

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: StarrMountain® 2010 on February 10, 2017, 07:51:51 PM
I'm sorry, MV. :'(

I'll PM you why I agreed with that post, If, you want to know.  It's personal, so I'm not going to post it here.

no need.

trostol

Art doesn't post here cause he let at the time a very few trolls overcome all the positive posters..like a 10 to 1 type of margin if not more

frankly this site is not as bad as you are making it to be..sounds like you have a low tolerance ..thin skinned or worse..a millennial..and i would still say the good posters to bad poster/troll ratio is pretty high.. wanna know why the trolls continue to post..because people still reply to them..or posts like this stir them up..

and frankly..GLP is worse than here and another site is equally as bad, but its name escapes me atm

zeebo

... let me know which bellgab user meets the standards of infallibility and objectivity required to make these determinations.  i will await his/her nomination and review it....

Hey man no need to be indirect, just ask and I'll try to help. 

i trust in my hands-off policy to allow the forum to evolve into whatever it evolves into.  i have no interest in where users take the forum so long as the content posted is legal and posted imagery is viewable from an office cubicle.  further, i reject the assertion that "4chan lite" is an inherently pejorative term.

enforced civility, since it's enforced rather than organic, is artificial and meaningless.  it presents an image enjoyed and appreciated by people like you, but it really accomplishes nothing in terms of affecting how people privately think, and it simply impedes the free communication of ideas.  and show me a study indicating civility levels are connected to how "sharp" someone is.  i know some pretty brilliant thinkers and academics who are steeped in incivility.  i'd also like to know what standard is being used to determine how "sharp" a user is, btw.

the forum offers no guarantee of "intelligent discourse."  it only offers a script on a server on which users can post messages, so long as those messages contain legal content.  further, if it did offer a guarantee of "intelligent discourse," the responsibility would fall on a human being to arbitrarily determine which discourse is "intelligent" and which isn't.  take a look at the member list and let me know which bellgab user meets the standards of infallibility and objectivity required to make these determinations.  i will await his/her nomination and review it.

so is it just certain words you'd like censored, regardless of context, or is it the general expression of certain thoughts and ideas that should be picked apart?  if context will be considered, i suppose the determination will be made by the proposed overseer referenced above?  if you're not asking for the censoring of particular words, are you instead proposing user accounts be wholly banned if the individual is believed to be a user of the website 4chan?  and what constitutes "use" of 4chan?  is it simply viewing the website, or must one actually post messages on it?  who will finance the cyber forensics task force required to determine if one has "used" 4chan prior to or while using bellgab?  i know bellgab doesn't make enough money to pay those salaries.  and if a criminal user has posted messages on 4chan, will he/she face bellgab prosecution if the content of those messages didn't specifically violate bellgab's standards of "intelligent discourse"?  so many questions, but hey... you've got it figured out and i want to learn.

the epileptic dry-drunk mouth breathing insane neanderthal operations manager of a radio group i once worked for was fond of the term "raise the bar."  he dropped it at every staff meeting (tuesday mornings).  ever since, my keen sense of bullshit detection has been piqued when i hear/read it, almost without variation... but that's neither here nor there.

all of my snark aside, i've been reading composite examples of this same complaint for almost nine years,  and i'm no less likely to print it and wipe my ass with it today than i was nine years ago.

trostol

Quote from: zeebo on February 10, 2017, 09:20:15 PM

thats all fine and good til someone bribes you with some acorns

starrmtn001

Quote from: Chocolate coated jackboot on February 10, 2017, 01:42:31 PM
Bellgab can survive the departure of Art
Bellgab cannot survive the departure of Falkie

It's in the Brookings report

Some of us were here long before the falkie thread ever reared its ugly head.  We will not only survive, we will thrive! ;) ;D

zeebo

Quote from: trostol on February 10, 2017, 09:27:04 PM
thats all fine and good til someone bribes you with some acorns

I take McRib coupons too.

MV/Liberace!

heh heh

ItsOver

He he he.  Just what BG needs.  Standards set by a squirrel.   I guess it would beat standards set by some kind of nut.

It won't die as long as zeebo keeps posting, because he may very well be the only BGer who has never pissed off anyone enough to make any enemies. That's quite an accomplishment when you think about it.

starrmtn001

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 10, 2017, 09:43:14 PM
It won't die as long as zeebo keeps posting, because he may very well be the only BGer who has never pissed off anyone enough to make any enemies. That's quite an accomplishment when you think about it.

Hmmmm. ???

OK, as an illustration. Another special interest site I am on (similar traffic level to here) is ran by a control freak. ...The environment there is stifling and I don't go there very much...

LOL - Does the mod of that forum use an owl for an avatar ?
If so, that site is pretty much dead (if it's the one I'm thinking of) because of over moderation. What are there, 4-6 regular posters there now ?  It used to have quite a few more members before they moderated themselves right out of existence.
I do have to admit though, I haven't checked that site in probably 2 years.

Now GET OFF MY LAWN !    ;)    ;D ;D ;D

Quote from: StarrMountain® 2010 on February 10, 2017, 09:49:53 PM
Hmmmm. ???

Ack!  How dare you, Starr!  >:( You ought to be ashamed of yourself for posting material insinuating bestiality. >:(  I believe this is a bannable offense!!  >:(  Reporting to MV!!!

ROTF!!!  ;D

Quote from: 21st Century Man on February 10, 2017, 09:56:55 PM
Ack!  How dare you, Starr!  >:( You ought to be ashamed of yourself for posting material insinuating bestiality. >:(  I believe this is a bannable offense!!  >:(  Reporting to MV!!!

ROTF!!!  ;D

That is some disturbing shit, 21st Century Man. I think Starr needs to be monitored via vanderhooVen spy cams.

Lilith

tl:dr

starrmtn001

ROTF!!!  ;D

Heh, heh. ;)

starrmtn001

Quote from: rekcuf on February 10, 2017, 09:59:15 PM
That is some disturbing shit, 21st Century Man. I think Starr needs to monitored via vanderhooVen spy cams.
How do you know I'm not the one running it. :o   

How do you think I got that picture of Zeebo? 8)

ItsOver

ROTF!!!  ;D
Even Bobo is blushing.  Praise Greasy.

zeebo

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 10, 2017, 09:43:14 PM
... he may very well be the only BGer who has never pissed off anyone enough to make any enemies. ...

Lol well the trick, see, is pissing them off just to the limit, then distracting them with a well-timed Noory reference.  It's a kind of social kung fu move that keeps them off-balance.