• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

IMDB is shutting down its message boards!

Started by 21st Century Man, February 04, 2017, 01:18:36 AM

IMDB is shutting down its message boards as of February 20, 2017.  This is terrible news.  The message boards are one of the primary reasons why I visit the site.  Bezos and Amazon are shooting themselves in the foot with this action.  I'm not sure what there problem is.  Is it the criticism that new shows and movies are receiving from fed up consumers or what?   I would get info about the length of cuts for various dvd versions of one film for one thing and would also find out if there was a dvd or blu-ray out for a movie.

I for one will be visiting the site less after it takes effect.  This really ticks me off.  >:(

http://www.imdb.com/board/announcement

ShayP

Unfortunately a lot of entities are doing this.  It's cheaper to migrate to Facebook, etc., than to manage their own site.  I don't like it either.  Seems to be the way of the world now.

yumyumtree

Yes, last night I discovered that a true crime site famous for its boards where amateur sleuths and true crime buffs could talk about cases had gone away.

Thanks for the heads up about the internet movie database. Some people posted links to lists of the lists of books on Murphys shelf (in Interstellar). I want to collect those.

Quote from: ShayP on February 04, 2017, 01:21:55 AM
Unfortunately a lot of entities are doing this.  It's cheaper to migrate to Facebook, etc., than to manage their own site.  I don't like it either.  Seems to be the way of the world now.

The thing is and I'm not on Facebook so I have no idea how it works.  How would one talk about an obscure movie on Facebook?  This is ridiculous.  IMDB is catching hell on their latest tweets from users.

I can't help but feel they are shooting themselves in the foot with this action.

zeebo

Quote from: 21st Century Man on February 04, 2017, 01:18:36 AM
IMDB is shutting down its message boards as of February 20, 2017.  This is terrible news.  The message boards are one of the primary reasons why I visit the site.....

That truly does suck.  The boards are informative and hilarious, sometimes both at the same time.  The scathing reviews for "Prometheus" alone should be archived for all future humanity - their good humor helped me recover over time from the trauma that movie caused me.

ItsOver

Quote from: zeebo on February 04, 2017, 02:10:29 AM
That truly does suck.  The boards are informative and hilarious, sometimes both at the same time.  The scathing reviews for "Prometheus" alone should be archived for all future humanity - their good humor helped me recover over time from the trauma that movie caused me.
Oh, man, why did it have to be "Prometheus." I'd almost forgotten about it.

Ciardelo

This does suck. I read the message boards much more than the reviews...I know it's pissing into the wind but I signed the petition.

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 04, 2017, 04:00:36 AM
This does suck. I read the message boards much more than the reviews...I know it's pissing into the wind but I signed the petition.

Thanks, Ciardelo.  :D  Who knows, every little bit might help.

The thing is if you have a specific question, maybe it has already been asked on the boards.  I'd rather look through those than spend time wading through pages  upon pages of movie reviews.

Jackstar

QuoteAfter in-depth discussion and examination, we have concluded that IMDb's message boards are no longer providing a positive, useful experience for the vast majority of our more than 250 million monthly users worldwide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWhpk-8QLFQ

I defy anyone to demonstrate that those boards offered anything of value other than a clandestine way for industry insiders to shitpost at each other.

Look, look, read, read--I get it. It was a great time. It's over.

NXOEED

I agree, this sucks. I never post on IMDB, and don't have an account there, but I lurk all the time, just to see what people are thinking about the storylines of shows that I follow. The boards are actually the only part of IMDB I give a shit about.

Quote from: zeebo on February 04, 2017, 02:10:29 AM

Don't worry, my dapper Squirrel friend. One day, our story will be told!

trostol

i am going to be the opposite end here and say its no great loss...sure you could get some extra info ..but only from time to time..the boards had deteriorated over the past couple years with the trolling output going through the roof there that actually make bellgab look like the friendliest place on earth

ShayP

Quote from: trostol on February 04, 2017, 02:00:28 PM
i am going to be the opposite end here and say its no great loss...sure you could get some extra info ..but only from time to time..the boards had deteriorated over the past couple years with the trolling output going through the roof there that actually make bellgab look like the friendliest place on earth

Always sensible.  ;)   I support your assessment. :D

Well a good way to clear out trolls would be to offer the boards as part of a subscription service for a small fee.

ShayP

Quote from: 21st Century Man on February 04, 2017, 02:14:41 PM
Well a good way to clear out trolls would be to offer the boards as part of a subscription service for a small fee.

Yeah...however, you would need a moderator.  Trolls will pay.  ;)

Jackstar

Quote from: 21st Century Man on February 04, 2017, 02:14:41 PM

I don't think you've thought this through. I really don't.

Never knew IDBM had a forum.

I never went there much myself except to find when new seasons of shows started.

/tv/ on 4chan has some good discussions if anyone is interested.

Make an account there and tell em The King of King's sent you from bellgab

What a bite.   Not sure why I would go there anymore!?!

..the boards had deteriorated over the past couple years...

2nd Law of Thermodynamics.

and it sucks.

Dr. MD MD

Movie criticism just hasn't been the same since Roger Ebert died. It's wasteland these days. The most I usually do regarding checking reviews now is check out Rotten Tomatoes but I was a regular viewer of Siskel and Ebert and would often read his reviews in the paper or online.

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on February 04, 2017, 03:03:29 PM
Movie criticism just hasn't been the same since Roger Ebert died. It's wasteland these days. The most I usually do regarding checking reviews now is check out Rotten Tomatos but I was a regular voewer of Siskel and Ebert and would often read his reviews in the paper or online.

They seemed to be the last two honest reviewers.