• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Guitar is the Best Machine Known to Man: Discuss

Started by Ciardelo, January 28, 2017, 06:06:42 AM

Ciardelo

We will not discuss man buns, as they are stupid.

Thank you for your corporation.

comaphobe

Need to watch Crossroads again soon...

I am a fan and collector of Ibanez guitars, V's and Destroyers in particular. Made in Japan era. I am searching for a black Ibanez RR1000. I put an ad up but only lonely people have contacted me so far.

There is an ESP Alexi-200 at the end with a blacked out headstock. My plan is to Judas Priest that one up. Gonna use 100 or more pyramid studs. Not sure how I will attach them to the body and headstock as they are meant to be pushed through leather belts and jackets etc... But when the project is done, it's going to be so anti bro-metal that anybody wearing sports shit will vaporize immediately.

I think all my favorite guitarists are either dead, or retired/recluses. Glenn Tipton is still around but his counterpart isn't, I see no fun in that.

There are some amazing YouTube guitar players out there. They are more exciting than the recycled industry bullshit.

I totally love the dueling scene near the end of Crossroads. There used to be multiple uploads of it, but they are all gone now, or edited down to just a couple short minutes. I don't know a single song from Steve Vai, but he did great with the material that was worked into that movie.

Also...

Rocky George = A+++ :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjkcW7WCkQE

Excellent guitars and leads on this album.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: comaphobe on January 28, 2017, 09:07:16 AM
Need to watch Crossroads again soon...

What? No Telecaster? No Pignose amp?! Pffftt... ::)

comaphobe

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 28, 2017, 09:16:58 AM
What? No Telecaster? No Pignose amp?! Pffftt... ::)

No Fender guitars allowed at metalskool... and I never could locate a Pignose before they eventually stopped production. I think they have since become collectible. I know that eventually Roland made the Micro Cube which gets great reviews online but they stopped production for some reason. Mini amp production seems to be limited for some reason. The old Pignose was actually built really well, I think I have only seen one in person, and it was somewhere around 1991 or 92.

I almost forgot, I do have a Smokey Amp (it is a pack of Marlboro Lights). Although that is not quite a Pignose or a MicroCube caliber but does fit inside a shirt pocket no problem. I don't use it too much but when I do I run an old Zoom 505 through it. The speaker diameter is probably the same size as a poker chip.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: comaphobe on January 28, 2017, 09:32:23 AM
No Fender guitars allowed at metalskool... and I never could locate a Pignose before they eventually stopped production. I think they have since become collectible. I know that eventually Roland made the Micro Cube which gets great reviews online but they stopped production for some reason. Mini amp production seems to be limited for some reason. The old Pignose was actually built really well, I think I have only seen one in person, and it was somewhere around 1991 or 92.

I almost forgot, I do have a Smokey Amp (it is a pack of Marlboro Lights). Although that is not quite a Pignose or a MicroCube caliber but does fit inside a shirt pocket no problem. I don't use it too much but when I do I run an old Zoom 505 through it. The speaker diameter is probably the same size as a poker chip.

I only have a Tele and a standard acoustic. They still make pignose amps. Google it. I got one of those Smokeys for free once. I played around with it for a bit but eventually gave it to a friend. It actually sounded pretty good for what it was and you could get a decent overdrive crunch with it cranked. Right now I just have one of these. They're deceptively loud for the size and I can pretty much do whatever I want with it. Also, nothing beats the sound of tubes.  ;)

Caruthers612

Quote from: Ciardelo on January 28, 2017, 06:10:14 AM
We will not discuss man buns, as they are stupid.

Thank you for your corporation.

You forgot hipster beards. Man buns + hipster beards = turd salad.

comaphobe

Just scored this 1982 Ibanez V recently. Missing original third knob and has a replacement on there but I will find a proper one later on. It also has a push/pull installed in the middle, I think the other 2 pots as well as the switch are original though. It is a classic era Ibanez axe but this one is modified with a Kahler tremelo system and locking nut. It came like that and I think was done a long time ago. Sounds badass though with the Kahler trem. This is my 2nd Ibanez RR-50 but this one has tremelo, unlike my other which is totally original parts and factory bridge. It needs a new set of screws for the pickup rings, and maybe a pickup swap at some point. The original Super 70 and V2 is long gone. No idea what these pickups are but the axe can scream almost effortlessly and pinch harmonics come through no problem which works for me as my untalented self doesn't really know how to play any other way. I will probably put some chrome covers on the pickups down the road. I have plans to work on this one a little bit and replace some of the little parts like matching screw sets for starters. Also, the strap knob things don't match, I will find a solution later on. Got plans for this one.

Previous to the Ibanez flying V I grabbed a 1984 Destroyer in Montreal for my birthday. I was really depressed and needed something to negate the midlife crisis. So I got these 2 axes. The Destroyer is a little beaten up but it is a DT-155, which was the poor man's version of the DT-555. Both had 3 Super 70 humbuckers, but the one I got had the dumbed down trem. This 1984 was kind of hard to locate. I don't use Ebay so it's easier said than done. I am just happy I have one and it's black. I was looking for one of these or similar model for a long time and this one turned up. The tremelo bridge looks like it belongs on a Fender or something, I don't know what Ibanez were thinking. The tremelo is definately a little wonky looking and I wish they just made this guitar as a hardtail design with a stationary Gibralter bridge or whatever Ibanez used on non tremelo metal axes around this time. I don't know how you're supposed to divebomb with a sad tremelo like this on a metal axe such as this. I don't think it came with a whammy bar anyways. It might be in the aftermarket case that it came with, I forget. Anyways I hate the bridge but love the guitar. The thing is a mean monster. Not comfortable to play leads on or anything, but fun and powerful, heavy sounding and heavy physically. All original parts, has original knobs and still has the boomerang shaped strap clips. This one is banged up a lot, it's like it was a prostitute for many years or something. The price was good but I had to travel to Montreal and back to get it. Je m'apple geeeee.

It's been almost a month sine the Rocket Roll II. Tomorrow is new guitar day. I need to chill the fuck out and work my life out and quit collecting I have no fucking life.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: comaphobe on July 03, 2017, 11:18:07 PM
Just scored this 1982 Ibanez V recently. Missing original third knob and has a replacement on there but I will find a proper one later on. It also has a push/pull installed in the middle, I think the other 2 pots as well as the switch are original though. It is a classic era Ibanez axe but this one is modified with a Kahler tremelo system and locking nut. It came like that and I think was done a long time ago. Sounds badass though with the Kahler trem. This is my 2nd Ibanez RR-50 but this one has tremelo, unlike my other which is totally original parts and factory bridge. It needs a new set of screws for the pickup rings, and maybe a pickup swap at some point. The original Super 70 and V2 is long gone. No idea what these pickups are but the axe can scream almost effortlessly and pinch harmonics come through no problem which works for me as my untalented self doesn't really know how to play any other way. I will probably put some chrome covers on the pickups down the road. I have plans to work on this one a little bit and replace some of the little parts like matching screw sets for starters. Also, the strap knob things don't match, I will find a solution later on. Got plans for this one.

Previous to the Ibanez flying V I grabbed a 1984 Destroyer in Montreal for my birthday. I was really depressed and needed something to negate the midlife crisis. So I got these 2 axes. The Destroyer is a little beaten up but it is a DT-155, which was the poor man's version of the DT-555. Both had 3 Super 70 humbuckers, but the one I got had the dumbed down trem. This 1984 was kind of hard to locate. I don't use Ebay so it's easier said than done. I am just happy I have one and it's black. I was looking for one of these or similar model for a long time and this one turned up. The tremelo bridge looks like it belongs on a Fender or something, I don't know what Ibanez were thinking. The tremelo is definately a little wonky looking and I wish they just made this guitar as a hardtail design with a stationary Gibralter bridge or whatever Ibanez used on non tremelo metal axes around this time. I don't know how you're supposed to divebomb with a sad tremelo like this on a metal axe such as this. I don't think it came with a whammy bar anyways. It might be in the aftermarket case that it came with, I forget. Anyways I hate the bridge but love the guitar. The thing is a mean monster. Not comfortable to play leads on or anything, but fun and powerful, heavy sounding and heavy physically. All original parts, has original knobs and still has the boomerang shaped strap clips. This one is banged up a lot, it's like it was a prostitute for many years or something. The price was good but I had to travel to Montreal and back to get it. Je m'apple geeeee.

It's been almost a month sine the Rocket Roll II. Tomorrow is new guitar day. I need to chill the fuck out and work my life out and quit collecting I have no fucking life.

The late 70s/early80s was a good era for Ibanez. My friend bought a Roadstar back then and that thing still sounds beautiful and stays in tune great. I had several different Ibanez models in my teens. If I was going to buy another guitar and money wasn't a consideration I think I'd go with a Gretsch Country Gentleman with a Bigsby trem. Mmmm...tasty!  :P

P.S. I hope you enjoy your latest axes!