Author Yahoo! The Wicked Witch Is Dead  (Read 487 times)

Yahoo! The Wicked Witch Is Dead
« on: January 10, 2017, 09:56:37 PM »
http://arstechnica.com/business/2017/01/yahoo-board-drops-to-five-mayer-is-out-name-changed-to-altaba/

Frankly I find it hard to believe anyone ever used this piece of shit. It never did anything useful even in its prime. Good riddance.

source: yes, I'm that old

Re: Yahoo! The Wicked Witch Is Dead
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 05:18:56 PM »
Some of the Yahoo Groups on hobbies and such aren't too bad, but the rest of it has really gone to crap in the last 10 years. I use email there to act as a catch all when I know signing up for something is going to get me a barrage of junk mail.

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 01:45:12 AM »
Their sports section is pretty good still (scoreboard, fantasy)

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 02:01:13 AM »
sports section is pretty good

never did anything useful

Thank you for your support.

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 02:03:06 AM »
a barrage of junk mail.

I handle this by sending everything to a Gmail account, that then forwards everything to a circling forwarding chain of four other Gmail accounts, and then my real email account goes and gets the ones that are of interest to me.

Not a perfect solution, admittedly.

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 04:35:59 AM »
I don't understand the hate.  You always have other options.

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 08:18:34 AM »
I don't understand the hate.  You always have other options.

Sure, I can use all those services that Yahoo! ran out of business. BRB.

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 07:29:52 PM »
http://arstechnica.com/business/2017/01/yahoo-board-drops-to-five-mayer-is-out-name-changed-to-altaba/

Frankly I find it hard to believe anyone ever used this piece of shit. It never did anything useful even in its prime. Good riddance.

source: yes, I'm that old

Verizon is willing to pay $4.8B for a useless relic. I'd have sold myself for half the price.

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 04:49:19 PM »
Years of time and money and bored engineers have manged to take a once simple, functional email system and turn it into a bloated annoying interface.  I'd have jumped to gmail years ago but they broke theirs too.  I wish we could just go back to plain text and ban all the social networking widgets, but I'm old school, I still wish we had the old squarish monitors.

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 05:01:14 PM »
Eudora set to text only.

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 07:49:15 AM »

I handle this by sending everything to a Gmail account, that then forwards everything to a circling forwarding chain of four other Gmail accounts, and then my real email account goes and gets the ones that are of interest to me.

Not a perfect solution, admittedly.
http://10minutemail.com/10MinuteMail/index.html