• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Yahoo! The Wicked Witch Is Dead

Started by Jackstar, January 10, 2017, 09:56:37 PM

Jackstar

http://arstechnica.com/business/2017/01/yahoo-board-drops-to-five-mayer-is-out-name-changed-to-altaba/

Frankly I find it hard to believe anyone ever used this piece of shit. It never did anything useful even in its prime. Good riddance.

source: yes, I'm that old

Dyna-X

Some of the Yahoo Groups on hobbies and such aren't too bad, but the rest of it has really gone to crap in the last 10 years. I use email there to act as a catch all when I know signing up for something is going to get me a barrage of junk mail.

Zetaspeak

Their sports section is pretty good still (scoreboard, fantasy)

Jackstar

Quote from: Dyna-X on January 11, 2017, 05:18:56 PM
a barrage of junk mail.

I handle this by sending everything to a Gmail account, that then forwards everything to a circling forwarding chain of four other Gmail accounts, and then my real email account goes and gets the ones that are of interest to me.

Not a perfect solution, admittedly.

Juan

I don't understand the hate.  You always have other options.

Jackstar

Quote from: Juan on January 12, 2017, 04:35:59 AM
I don't understand the hate.  You always have other options.

Sure, I can use all those services that Yahoo! ran out of business. BRB.

Caruthers612

Quote from: Jackstar® on January 10, 2017, 09:56:37 PM
http://arstechnica.com/business/2017/01/yahoo-board-drops-to-five-mayer-is-out-name-changed-to-altaba/

Frankly I find it hard to believe anyone ever used this piece of shit. It never did anything useful even in its prime. Good riddance.

source: yes, I'm that old

Verizon is willing to pay $4.8B for a useless relic. I'd have sold myself for half the price.

zeebo

Years of time and money and bored engineers have manged to take a once simple, functional email system and turn it into a bloated annoying interface.  I'd have jumped to gmail years ago but they broke theirs too.  I wish we could just go back to plain text and ban all the social networking widgets, but I'm old school, I still wish we had the old squarish monitors.

Quote from: Jackstar ℗ on January 12, 2017, 02:03:06 AM

I handle this by sending everything to a Gmail account, that then forwards everything to a circling forwarding chain of four other Gmail accounts, and then my real email account goes and gets the ones that are of interest to me.

Not a perfect solution, admittedly.
http://10minutemail.com/10MinuteMail/index.html

comaphobe

I've hated that company since the 90s. They ate up a ton of worthy websites and services and dissolved or mutated/merged them into some mediocre and redundant piece of shit thing that was relaunched with their own branding. Popularity declined immediately and user dissatisfaction was well documented at the time.

Yahoo! were one of the first powerful conglomerates to completely fuck up and ruin the internet. Google took notes and perfected this 8-10 years later and actually did the same thing ten fold. Google went from a nobody, to leasing satellites, to launching their very own satellites in less than a decade. Even worse is how Google is used as a conditioning tool to shape one's opinion, it's a herd-culling service. It's the most evil of tools imaginable. It is not an open world when using that company's spy engine. It is a very shuttered world and it is very biased and infectious, as hipsters and trendies and generally stupid idiots love the shit out of it. It's the cattlecar of the internet. It's that ugly fuck in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang who hates kids. It's the serial killer of the human mind, the enemy of the independent, and the proliferator of idiotism. The thing isn't even meta based, it's thug based... You pay and you get top listing. Publish something unpopular enough and these sons of whores will totally delist you from their results permanently. It's more than a search engine too, it's become the backbone of the internet and that is fucking scary. It has also become judge, jury and executioner. It's become it's own being. People worship this company like a God.

Anyways, the whole lot of them are total bastards. Filthy fucking digital bastard animals.

I hate Yahoo!, originally because they once took a server away from me with very little warning time after they bought another company's product that I used. Later on I just hated them because they were hateable. Plus they were obsolete from day one but that is just my personal opinion. It was the last search engine I would have used in the mid 90s, especially when back then dial-up service was billed per hourly usage. I never had the time for their friendly family funtime exploration bullshit.

Go Network (ABC-Disney) was another (late 1990s) conglomerate that gobbled up tons of websites and services and then immediately shut them all down to funnel the traffic into their own moldy vaginal servers. In what seemed to be 2 or 3 years (if even that much) after startup, losses were extreme and the entire Go Network was dismantled. These bags of shit with Mouse Ears took Hotbot, Lycos/Infoseek as well as other pioneering search engines and flushed them down the fucking toilet almost immediately after acquisition. They also disolved WBS (established in 1994 or 1995), which was a massive interactive/chat community with very high usership for it's time and nothing came close to it in terms of traffic or real-time event hosting.

Fuck Yahoo and the whores they rode in on...
Fuck Social Retardation Networking
Fuck Apple and iSpytunes
Fuck Trendy Bullshit
Fuck Hashtags
Fuck Google
Fuck Jesus
Fuck Hitler
Fuck MSN
Fuck Me
Fuck U

PS: See you at the Whammyburger!

zeebo

Quote from: comaphobe on March 23, 2017, 12:57:57 AM
...Yahoo! were one of the first powerful conglomerates to completely fuck up and ruin the internet.

They pioneered over-engineered bloat years before others would perfect it.  Friggin Yahoo - it's only value for a decade now has been email & weather.  And they ruined their email years ago with its ugly, slow, kludgy interface.  I'd switch to Gmail but friggin Google learned from the masters and broke their once-elegant email too.  I never liked Yahoo, especially during their hideous "Purple" period, but I did once like Google.  And now I friggin hate them too with their stupid cutesy "doodles' they force feed people and all their over-hyped side projects and different types of stock shares and splitting off oh-so-cool "Alphabet" and not to mention all their creepy data collecting. 

But back to Yahoo, it's only purpose at all anymore is its news feed, but that's only for laughs as it's so blatently biased that it's basically propoganda.  I never bother reading the articles anymore, but go straight to the comments for sheer hilarious entertainment value and also to rage-post as needed to get that out of my system.  But I've stopped doing that too lately since I can't stand their horribly bloated pages with hideous auto-play videos and phony articles that are really ads and constant lecturing about how society is not living up to their utopian standards.

Dyna-X

Quote from: zeebo on March 23, 2017, 03:04:39 PM
They pioneered over-engineered bloat years before others would perfect it.  Friggin Yahoo - it's only value for a decade now has been email & weather.  And they ruined their email years ago with its ugly, slow, kludgy interface.  I'd switch to Gmail but friggin Google learned from the masters and broke their once-elegant email too.  I never liked Yahoo, especially during their hideous "Purple" period, but I did once like Google.  And now I friggin hate them too with their stupid cutesy "doodles' they force feed people and all their over-hyped side projects and different types of stock shares and splitting off oh-so-cool "Alphabet" and not to mention all their creepy data collecting. 

But back to Yahoo, it's only purpose at all anymore is its news feed, but that's only for laughs as it's so blatently biased that it's basically propoganda.  I never bother reading the articles anymore, but go straight to the comments for sheer hilarious entertainment value and also to rage-post as needed to get that out of my system.  But I've stopped doing that too lately since I can't stand their horribly bloated pages with hideous auto-play videos and phony articles that are really ads and constant lecturing about how society is not living up to their utopian standards.

Word, fine squirrel! I have been underwhelmed with all the web and software developments since about 2005. Hardware, the same except the development of USB and the increase in drive space. Yahoo has became a garbage pail of the articles you mention - and I wouldn't be surprised that many of the comments these days are made by paid sock puppets.

That might be a business idea - a no bull text based simple interface email service that is very secure - $20 a year range - am I out of my gourd?

JesusJuice

If you're looking for a no frills news aggregator then this might be for you. http://spidr.today/  Someone on /news/ made this. It's focused mostly on news and politics. The dev has sports and entertainment filtered out.

Dyna-X

Quote from: JesusJuice💯👌👏 on March 23, 2017, 10:52:26 PM
If you're looking for a no frills news aggregator then this might be for you. http://spidr.today/  Someone on /news/ made this. It's focused mostly on news and politics. The dev has sports and entertainment filtered out.
Hey, thanks!
I had previously checked this with my morning coffee:
http://hosted2.ap.org/APDefault/