• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Old Cartoons...

Started by chefist, January 05, 2017, 11:07:13 PM

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: LittleChris on January 06, 2017, 10:17:54 AM
Battle of The Planets was the SHIZNIT!!!

It's that rousing intro and the voiceover guy (who I think was the same guy who did the JLA stuff back then too):

Always five acting as one. Dedicated. Inseperable...INVINCIBLE!!!

I believe anything that guy says.  :D

chefist

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 06, 2017, 10:25:57 AM
It's that rousing intro and the voiceover guy (who I think was the same guy who did the JLA stuff back then too):

Always five acting as one. Dedicated. Inseperable...INVINCIBLE!!!

I believe anything that guy says.  :D

LOL...I just watched the intro on YT...YES, I do remember this cartoon now...lolz

thanks

littlechris

Voltron was the shit too!

zeebo

Quote from: Uncle Duke on January 06, 2017, 10:02:34 AM
Starblazers had quite a cult following on college campuses in the late 70s.  Explaining the show to others who have never seen it is a hoot, they look at you like you have a banana in your ear.  A few of us told  a small group of our professors, including Neil Armstrong, about the series one day.  I'm convinced they thought we were either high or out of our minds.

lol that cracks me up, and I totally get it.  :D

Some of the most beautiful cartoons were the Fleischer Studios Superman Cartoons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjdnCC6n4xk

zeebo

Another good one from the 90's was Batman: The Animated Series.  Very cool art direction, with a noirish look.  As I recall it was actually drawn on black matte backgrounds.  Great scripts too.  Imho much better than most of the movies as far as capturing the spirit of the comic books.

chefist

Quote from: zeebo on January 06, 2017, 01:10:44 PM
Another good one from the 90's was Batman: The Animated Series.  Very cool art direction, with a noirish look.  As I recall it was actually drawn on black matte backgrounds.  Great scripts too.  Imho much better than most of the movies as far as capturing the spirit of the comic books.

All the Dark Knight movies of the 2000's were styled after this animated series...very cool.

littlechris

Animated Japanese character Golgo 13 was also the shit.

trostol

Quote from: Chefist on January 06, 2017, 10:12:26 AM
Wow, I never heard of this "Starblazers"...I grew up near St. Louis, so the market would be rather small compared to the East or West coasts...

never heard of Starblazers? for shame..it is something that needs to be seen

one of my faves as a kid

https://youtu.be/3JjhQ1Oi_3k

trostol

then there is this..which i actually...never watched

https://youtu.be/XJ46aKjB9oE

zeebo

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on January 06, 2017, 11:08:58 PM
8)

+1 for Johnny Quest.  I can't remember any of the storylines abut it always seemed to involve a science lab in the jungle with some kind of secret agent intrigue and sea-planes.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on January 06, 2017, 11:21:47 PM
+1 for Johnny Quest.  I can't remember any of the storylines abut it always seemed to involve a science lab in the jungle with some kind of secret agent intrigue and sea-planes.

Johnny and Hadji figured shit out!  ;)

i was very young for this one, but i remember watching it.  8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge5f2HSeFCc

edit: come to think of it, the Beany and Cecil show gave me nightmares..

Uncle Duke

Quote from: mikuthing01 on January 06, 2017, 11:10:43 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovvKRRYB22Q

When seen in the US, Bananaman was the second feature shown within the "Danger Mouse" show.  Was Bananaman every a feature character with his own program in the UK?  Danger Mouse was quite funny I thought, although not all in the US seemed to get at least some of the more subtle Brit humor. 

albrecht

Quote from: zeebo on January 06, 2017, 11:21:47 PM
And like old movies in the 30s-70s etc often it involves a sinister, Oriental master villain who is orchestrating some nefarious plot for global domination.

Ciardelo

Quote from: albrecht on January 07, 2017, 01:53:09 PM
And like old movies in the 30s-70s etc often it involves a sinister, Oriental master villain who is orchestrating some nefarious plot for global domination.
It's the hidden-in-plain-sight signs-of-the-future. Movies are Hollywood's way of getting the truth out in a socially acceptable way..

zeebo

Quote from: Chefist on January 06, 2017, 01:12:12 PM
All the Dark Knight movies of the 2000's were styled after this animated series...very cool.

Yes such a good show, and Mark Hamill voiced the Joker! 

comaphobe

Quote from: 21st Century Man on January 06, 2017, 01:05:14 PM
Some of the most beautiful cartoons were the Fleischer Studios Superman Cartoons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjdnCC6n4xk

You beat me to it. These shorts from the 1940s were phenomenal, and that particular episode is my favorite of the bunch. Very well done animation. These are public domain and have been issued on DVD several different times. In the mid 2000s I found an older single disc version of this collection in a clearance bin for $1 when a media store was closing down, and by a landslide enjoy it much more than most of any other Superman stuff.

It has some of the nicest animation that I have ever seen. The American 1940s produced a ton of unprecedented cartoons that set the bar really high. WB, Disney, Hanna-Barbera/MGM kicked out their best work around this time and cannot be matched these days. Even the lower fidelity Terrytoons stuff was A+.

Pixar makes me dizzy, nauseous and 100% disinterested. I would rather watch puppets like Team America, it's more pleasant on the eyes and it takes serious patience and skill to accomplish. The animation these days is god awful. The writing is just as bad as the animation styles they all use now. It's fucking disgusting actually.

Quote from: comaphobe on January 08, 2017, 02:21:55 AM
You beat me to it. These shorts from the 1940s were phenomenal, and that particular episode is my favorite of the bunch. Very well done animation. These are public domain and have been issued on DVD several different times. In the mid 2000s I found an older single disc version of this collection in a clearance bin for $1 when a media store was closing down, and by a landslide enjoy it much more than most of any other Superman stuff.

It has some of the nicest animation that I have ever seen. The American 1940s produced a ton of unprecedented cartoons that set the bar really high. WB, Disney, Hanna-Barbera/MGM kicked out their best work around this time and cannot be matched these days. Even the lower fidelity Terrytoons stuff was A+.

Pixar makes me dizzy, nauseous and 100% disinterested. I would rather watch puppets like Team America, it's more pleasant on the eyes and it takes serious patience and skill to accomplish. The animation these days is god awful. The writing is just as bad as the animation styles they all use now. It's fucking disgusting actually.

Agree with you completely.  Fuck Pixar.  Damn them to hell.

Taaroa

Quote from: zeebo on January 06, 2017, 01:10:44 PM

The older DC animated universe stuff with Bruce Timm's involvement is pretty decent. Last year I rewatched Batman Beyond which has an interesting cyberpunk setting, shares the same universe as the 90s series, Bruce Wayne is old, and almost all the villains meet 'bad ends'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etst4t3ES8Y

zeebo

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on January 08, 2017, 04:32:13 AM

Some the Trek cartoons were goofy, but several of them were great and would have made good live scripts (although maybe too expensive for the time - which is why they were cartoons hehe).  I wanna watch some of those again now, thanks for the reminder.

"Clutch Cargo" was a staple of a couple of local kiddie shows where I grew up. It's noteworthy for introducing a technique called Syncro-Vox, which created the creepy effect of superimposing human mouths on the characters.

The premise is even creepier, because the series is about a strapping bachelor adventurer who travels the world with a pre-adolescent boy who's not related to him and apparently doesn't attend school.

Anyone else besides GS remember it?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clutch_Cargo

https://youtu.be/pFnLirXjjto

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on January 08, 2017, 10:45:48 PM
Some the Trek cartoons were goofy, but several of them were great and would have made good live scripts (although maybe too expensive for the time - which is why they were cartoons hehe).  I wanna watch some of those again now, thanks for the reminder.

I've found it mostly goofy but have had several people recommend it over the years. Can you point me to the good episodes?

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 09, 2017, 01:58:20 AM
I've found it mostly goofy but have had several people recommend it over the years. Can you point me to the good episodes?

I remember one called The Magicks of something or other that was good, but have totally forgotten the plot.  I've pretty much forgotten the whole series tbh hehe.  Also my fondness may be clouded by nostalia.  That same childhood part of my brain thinks Schoolhouse Rock is pretty awesome.   ;)