• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Transabled: More evidence of mental illness in our society

Started by 21st Century Man, January 03, 2017, 10:21:39 AM

I thought I've seen just about everything but I just came across an article that disturbed me greatly.  Where are the therapists?  Why would somebody do this to themselves?  This is part of the decline in Western Society.  I really don't know what else to say other than these people are sick.

Becoming disabled by choice, not chance: ‘Transabled’ people feel like impostors in their fully working bodies

OTTAWA â€" When he cut off his right arm with a “very sharp power tool,” a man who now calls himself One Hand Jason let everyone believe it was an accident.

But he had for months tried different means of cutting and crushing the limb that never quite felt like his own, training himself on first aid so he wouldn’t bleed to death, even practicing on animal parts sourced from a butcher.

“My goal was to get the job done with no hope of reconstruction or re-attachment, and I wanted some method that I could actually bring myself to do,” he told the body modification website ModBlog.

His goal was to become disabled.

People like Jason have been classified as ‘‘transabled’’ â€" feeling like imposters in their bodies, their arms and legs in full working order.

“We define transability as the desire or the need for a person identified as able-bodied by other people to transform his or her body to obtain a physical impairment,” says Alexandre Baril, a Quebec born academic who will present on “transability” at this week’s Congress of the Social Sciences and Humanities at the University of Ottawa.

Alexandre Baril, a Quebec born academic who will present on "transability" at this week's Congress of the Social Sciences and Humanities at the University of Ottawa. Baril himself is not transabled.
“The person could want to become deaf, blind, amputee, paraplegic. It’s a really, really strong desire.”

Researchers in Canada are trying to better understand how transabled people think and feel. Clive Baldwin, a Canada Research Chair in Narrative Studies who teaches social work at St. Thomas University in Fredericton, N.B., has interviewed 37 people worldwide who identify as transabled.

Most of them are men. About half are in Germany and Switzerland, but he knows of a few in Canada. Most crave an amputation or paralysis, though he has interviewed one person who wants his penis removed. Another wants to be blind.

More at

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/becoming-disabled-by-choice-not-chance-transabled-people-feel-like-impostors-in-their-fully-working-bodies

Yorkshire pud

I once read an article of a young woman who said she felt 'whole' now that she'd had one of her legs amputated below the knee. She was actually quite attractive too.

I was told of one bloke (I think in the States), who was convinced he was producing too much testosterone so castrated himself... But that wasn't all. He set about removing his adrenal glands using local anaesthetic and suturing as he went. He went to the local ER when he 'got lost'. The medics said technically, he hadn't done a bad job considering he hadn't proper facilities.

I want to assume most of these degenerates are just mentally ill. Unfortunately, although inevitably, most are faking for attention (sympathy) and or monetary gain. I first heard about this maybe two years ago? I have no proof but this ailment sounds completely fabricated. I have absolutely no sympathy for imposters. None.

Very sad situation that people feel the need to do this to themselves.  Maybe they don't feel like thy get enough attention but sure there has to be another way to solve that problem.

Quote from: 21st Century Man on January 03, 2017, 10:37:12 AM
Very sad situation that people feel the need to do this to themselves.  Maybe they don't feel like thy get enough attention but sure there has to be another way to solve that problem.

Agreed.

People that 'feel' like they need to be permanently disabled just to feel whole? If those feelings are genuine then that person needs immediate mental health help.

Becoming a tax burden isn't the solution. I'm not sure how the law works in this case. I'm assuming if you're disabled you'll recieve benefits- no matter what. *sigh*

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: rekcuf on January 03, 2017, 10:45:23 AM
Agreed.

People that 'feel' like they need to be permanently disabled just to feel whole? If those feelings are genuine then that person needs immediate mental health help.

Becoming a tax burden isn't the solution. I'm not sure how the law works in this case. I'm assuming if you're disabled you'll recieve benefits- no matter what. *sigh*

I doubt recieving benefits is the motive.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on January 03, 2017, 10:47:54 AM
I doubt recieving benefits is the motive.

No, there is something else going on in their heads other than that.  If that were the case,  a person would just act like he is mentally ill and get a psychiatrist to confirm it.  No need to cut off limbs and paralyze oneself.

Quote from: 21st Century Man on January 03, 2017, 10:52:20 AM
No, there is something else going on in their heads other than that.  If that were the case,  a person would just act like he is mentally ill and get a psychiatrist to confirm it.  No need to cut off limbs and paralyze oneself.

I'm not saying that's the motive. Faking would be a much better option. I don't want my tax dollars going towards enabling and normalizing these people and their feelings. The fellow from Canada sounds like he's on a mission to do just that. If someone wants to cut off their limbs or paralyze themselves, go ahead. As long as they can pay for it and support themselves going forward.

WOTR

It was a year or so back the CBC ran an episode on transabled (people with Body Integrity Identity Disorder). Just in case anybody feels like having their mind completely blown, here is the link.  I just remember driving to work in absolute shock that this is a "thing."  Only about 20 minutes long.

Hearing this in somebodies own words as they describe what they have done to themselves is pretty interesting- and infuriating.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/q/schedule-for-wednesday-june-10-2015-1.3107352/desiring-disability-what-does-it-mean-to-be-transabled-1.3107353