• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Fidel Castro Dies . . . Again! And this time it's for realz.

Started by starrmtn001, November 25, 2016, 11:52:33 PM

albrecht

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on November 27, 2016, 01:01:18 AM
I turned on my Grundig SW tonight and came upon Radio Havana Cuba.  They were reading condolences "pouring in" from around the world, many from the U.S.  Everybody extolling what a "great leader" he was. He was a man who evoked extremes, was either loved or hated.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Havana_Cuba
I wonder what the Cuban "number stations" and/or ours, and others are broadcasting? My Sony SW isnt bringing in well now but last time I used I got Spanish numbers in addition to the, sigh, usual preachers in many languages. But did get some good numbers and a few that were followed what sounded like, maybe, 'encrypted burst' transmissions?

albrecht

Quote from: Jackstar on November 27, 2016, 01:19:35 AM

Haha. I'm just glad Obama, yet, hasn't as promised given them GITMO. We got a YUUGE lease deal on prime real estate, that even Cold War n stuff couldn't break. Tells us something about REAL stuff. We need to keep and exploit it. Hell, even for a R&R and rehab place for troops after we drop the Muzzies there into thd sea from Copters or send them back. Like a Chelsea Pensioners for our guys even. Some benefit for bad wars.

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: albrecht on November 27, 2016, 01:18:02 AM
I wonder what the Cuban "number stations" and/or ours, and others are broadcasting? My Sony SW isnt bringing in well now but last time I used I got Spanish numbers in addition to the, sigh, usual preachers in many languages. But did get some good numbers and a few that were followed what sounded like, maybe, 'encrypted burst' transmissions?

Not sure about the numbers station, but you can listen to their broadcasts streaming via TuneIn (English) or at their website.

http://tunein.com/radio/Radio-Havana-Cuba-p1687/

http://www.radiohc.cu/en

136 or 142

Quote from: WOTR on November 26, 2016, 11:30:27 PM
The CBC was interviewing a man who used to be Canada's ambassador to Cuba this evening.  Trudeau's visits as a private citizen did come up.  I don't think it was "vacationing together"... More that Trudeau vacationed in Cuba and met Castro while on vacation as a private citizen.

***Edit: Mark Entwistle (the ambassador) around 8:20 in claiming to have been present at the meetings with Trudeau and Castro when Trudeau was a private citizen.

http://podcast.cbc.ca/twtw/saturday.mp3

Interesting.  I was not aware that Pierre Trudeau ever went back to Cuba.

136 or 142

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on November 26, 2016, 02:37:26 AM
The US leads the world in new pharmaceuticals, in new medical procedures, and in new medical technology. 

True on the pharmaceuticals, but if you check this site, everybody has declined in producing them (there was a slight increase in the from 2001-2010 compared to 1991-2000 but way down from the previous two decades):

http://www.xconomy.com/seattle/2014/09/02/which-countries-excel-in-creating-new-drugs-its-complicated/

MV is absolutely correct that the pharmaceutical industry isn't interesting in researching where no money can be made.  I completely agree with him on that and I think universities should be funded to research into those sorts of things.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: MV 2000® on November 27, 2016, 03:56:41 AM
I'd be ashamed to call myself a Canadian following Trudeau's Castro comments.

http://www.therealcuba.com/?page_id=55

Trudeau and his pretty boy son the darling Justin have been backhanded supporters of Castro for decades.
.. nice NATO allies ... eh?

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/canada-defence-spending-1.3664272

New figures released by NATO ahead of this weekend's leaders' summit show Canada inhabits the lower third of NATO membership in terms of defence spending, with the government planning to spend an additional .01 per cent of the country's gross domestic product on defence.

The increase, which is only anticipated because the 2016 budget year is just getting underway, will see Canada's defence spending rise to .99 per cent of GDP from .98 per cent.

To put that in perspective, the North Atlantic military alliance has established two per cent of GDP as its annual investment benchmark. Canada is ranked 23rd out of 28 member countries, wedged between Hungary and Slovenia.

It has been a source of frustration for the Americans, something that manifested itself last week in U.S. President Barack Obama's speech to Parliament, where he pointedly called on the Trudeau government to meet the NATO measure because "the world needs more Canada.

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on November 27, 2016, 01:01:18 AM
I turned on my Grundig SW tonight and came upon Radio Havana Cuba.  They were reading condolences "pouring in" from around the world, many from the U.S.  Everybody extolling what a "great leader" he was. He was a man who evoked extremes, was either loved or hated.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Havana_Cuba

Hollywood and Washington DC?

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on November 27, 2016, 04:46:15 AM
Hollywood and Washington DC?

Actually no.  I heard condolences from places like NJ, NY, Ohio, and even Utah! 

There is rampant speculation that Justin Trudeau is actually Fidel Castro's son.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: (((The King of Kings))) on November 27, 2016, 01:13:02 PM
There is rampant speculation that Justin Trudeau is actually Fidel Castro's son.

Well, his mom was a bit of a ho.  :D

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: WhiteCrow on November 27, 2016, 04:39:30 AM
Trudeau and his pretty boy son the darling Justin have been backhanded supporters of Castro for decades.
.. nice NATO allies ... eh?

Yeah? We took a similar point of view about the millions raised in the US on behalf of the PIRA who used the money to buy weapons and explosives to kill civilians and our soldiers. At least Castro wasn't blowing up US pubs, shopping centres and streets. The PIRA did that in the UK.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 27, 2016, 01:27:40 PM
Yeah? We took a similar point of view about the millions raised in the US on behalf of the PIRA who used the money to buy weapons and explosives to kill civilians and our soldiers. At least Castro wasn't blowing up US pubs, shopping centres and streets. The PIRA did that in the UK.

Pfffffffft! Shadowy organizations around the world have been supported by US money and sometimes weapons for years, surely you didn't think your country would be the exception ;)

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: H.L.F. on November 27, 2016, 01:46:54 PM
Pfffffffft! Shadowy organizations around the world have been supported by US money and sometimes weapons for years, surely you didn't think your country would be the exception ;)

Shadowy? Not at all, they were open and unashamed in doing it. Even inviting PIRA terrorists to the US to give after dinner speeches. Can you imagine the outrage in the US if France had a group who had Bin Laden to dinner post 9/11, in order to raise more money?

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 27, 2016, 01:55:40 PM
Shadowy? Not at all, they were open and unashamed in doing it. Even inviting PIRA terrorists to the US to give after dinner speeches. Can you imagine the outrage in the US if France had a group who had Bin Laden to dinner post 9/11, in order to raise more money?

I was being lighthearted about it, but I do understand it has been a serious problem.  To your point about Sep 11, I indeed find our cozy relationship with countries like Saudi Arabia to be "problematic" to put it lightly.

Jackstar

History was wrong on Clinton, but right on Castro? Sure, okay.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 27, 2016, 01:27:40 PM

American tourists were treated like criminals by the RUC and British forces in places like Belfast and Derry back during the Troubles.  In 1982 a friend and I visited Belfast and got seriously hassled by Paras as we passed through a checkpoint to walk into city centre.  Pulled us out of line, looked for entry stamps (Republic or UK?) in our passports, questioned us under armed guard for over 30 minutes about the who/what/where/why of our visit.  Was also asked if  I was a "Papist"?  Had similar, but less aggressive/hostile, treatment on a number of later trips to NI.  Didn't notice a decline in that attitude until the late 90s, and was pleasantly surprised by a total lack of such treatment by 2005.

Jackstar

Quote from: Uncle Duke on November 27, 2016, 03:26:02 PM
Was also asked if  I was a "Papist"?

Now that it is known to what degree Satanism has inflitrated the U.S. government and the Catholic Church, this question makes more sense. I bet they had already checked you for Masonic tattoos by this point.

3OctaveFart

Quote from: albrecht on November 26, 2016, 07:18:02 PM
What is so great about Nixon is that, especially from the tapes, he was an equal-offender and hated and ranted/made statements about every ethnic, religious, sexual or socially deviant (in term of statistics, I'm not making a moral judgement,) or racial group and even bitched about rich, white Republican people (like the kind who attend Bohemian Grove.*)

*"But it's not just the ratty part of town. The upper class in San Francisco is that way. The Bohemian Grove, which I attend from time to time . . . It is the most faggy goddamned thing you could ever imagine with that San Francisco crowd. I can't shake hands with anybody from San Francisco."
Nixon was self-made, unlike many of the lucky sperm club at Bohemian Grove. He had nothing in common with them, either, only he was more powerful.

Jackstar

Oooh! Oooh! I love this game! *jumps up and down, hands clapping*

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Jackstar on November 27, 2016, 05:36:23 PM
Oooh! Oooh! I love this game! *jumps up and down, hands clapping*

Don't forget your fav, Jack:

Taaroa

Quote from: MV 2000® on November 27, 2016, 03:56:41 AM
I'd be ashamed to call myself a Canadian following Trudeau's Castro comments.

It's not just Trudeau though - even if his example is probably the worst I've seen - it seems like the media has generally been fairly positive on Castro and are only briefly mentioning his negatives when reporting on the Miami celebrations.

I'm expecting when Mugabe finally dies that we'll have people lining up and saying what a great person he was, and how he was a 'powerful and positive symbol of decolonisation'.