• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random Food/Beverages On Your Mind

Started by Camazotz Automat, September 29, 2016, 05:01:15 AM

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on September 30, 2016, 08:13:12 PM
No, those were good. But these can accompany any meal, esp if smoking or grilling it (which means most) but can be good alone for starving student, camper, hunter, fisherman, cowboy,or etc. Cheap, filling, n good.
Conagra Ranchstyle Beans (browser wont let me post link.)

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Astrid Galactic on September 30, 2016, 07:54:48 PM

The closest I've found (to Squirt) is Ting which is a Jamaican grapefruit soda. Although, anyplace that ever carries them are always out of them.

AG, have you tried "Lilt"?  It's a Coca Cola product from the UK and Ireland.

albrecht

Quote from: akwilly on September 30, 2016, 08:11:12 PM
Ya there is some great stuff down there. I wouldn't recognize my old home town now that it's the fastest growing in America. Kinda sad, I remember being able to drive out to the "country" but now that drive would take a long time.
Yeah. Believe me. Changes. Big time. Still some good but so many people n businesses moving here and bring traffic and their politics with them and an open-border. N cops are often no longer good old boys "pour it out son and git on home and if I catch y'all again..." it is lock up n $$ in attorney fees.
But we still got great BBQ n Tex-Mex n music!

GravitySucks

I liked Squirt but I seem to remember drinking more of Canfield's 50/50

akwilly

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on September 30, 2016, 08:14:46 PM
Oh they are good without doubt.  Just no auxiliary can of grease strapped to the top
damn I wish Ida had a can of that!

Uncle Duke

Quote from: albrecht on September 30, 2016, 07:26:49 PM

Ps: got a 'free' soda at grocery store today. "Sicilian Lemon Soda" good n not too sweet but reminded me. Anyone see Schweppes "Bitter Lemon" in N.America? I recall being able buy in DC area once but now cant find anywhere. Good stuff popular in UK, like lemonade with quinine (think tonic water so not so darn sweet as our lemonade.)

Albrecht-

You must have drank this in the UK as well.  I drank it more in Scotland than anywhere else, but did enjoy it.

albrecht

Quote from: akwilly on September 30, 2016, 08:22:17 PM
damn I wish Ida had a can of that!
Would be good entry into the "burning poo" thread! I did like that gimmick of the second can on that product.

Value Of Pi

Durn, what I did to get my hands on these things when I was a kid. Smitten, I was.

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on September 30, 2016, 08:23:16 PM
Albrecht-

You must have drank this in the UK as well.  I drank it more in Scotland than anywhere else, but did enjoy it.
I didnt. Mainly drank Tennent's in Scotland, haha,  and once that energy drink (hangover cure) they love Ironbru? Irnbrew? Yuck!  No wonder dental issues n pale, splochty faces n thinning hair so common? (Dont get me wrong LOVED Scotland the people, nature, food, beer but not that soda.)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Uncle Duke on September 30, 2016, 08:23:16 PM
Albrecht-

Did they help wash down the deep fried chocolate bars?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Value Of Pi on September 30, 2016, 08:26:12 PM
Durn, what I did to get my hands on these things when I was a kid. Smitten, I was.

Kick me right in my weakness, why don't you?!  :P

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on September 30, 2016, 08:32:19 PM
Did they help wash down the deep fried chocolate bars?

I'm married to a long serving cardiac intensive care nurse.  In Scotland we ate mostly seafood (fresh salmon and mussels) and Indian food.  Lots of turmeric in Indian food.

Quote from: Uncle Duke on September 30, 2016, 08:16:36 PM
AG, have you tried "Lilt"?  It's a Coca Cola product from the UK and Ireland.

No, I haven't but it looks good.

When I think of Lilt, I think of this.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Uncle Duke on September 30, 2016, 08:40:42 PM
I'm married to a long serving cardiac intensive care nurse.  In Scotland we ate mostly seafood (fresh salmon and mussels) and Indian food.  Lots of turmeric in Indian food.

I've never been but my grandma's side of the family was from a place called Grant there. I've heard the Scottish like to deep fry almost anything.

I love seafood..even the weird stuff. That sounds good!

My kind of food!

albrecht

Mein Gott! She must have been a nervous wreck looking at the locals and main "cuisine" and drinking/smoking regimen and "special drink offers" (some In morning opening hours.!!) Tasty but from a health perspective!  True the Indian tho better in England, esp big cities. I think it is also a "cleanser," if you get my gist. Great place!

Uncle Duke

Quote from: albrecht on September 30, 2016, 08:52:25 PM
Mein Gott! She must have been a nervous wreck looking at the locals and main "cuisine" and drinking/smoking regimen and "special drink offers" (some In morning opening hours.!!) Tasty but from a health perspective!  True the Indian tho better in England, esp big cities. I think it is also a "cleanser," if you get my gist. Great place!

Indeed, she was appalled.  I first took her to Ireland in the early 90s (my fourth trip) and I thought she was going to faint when she was served her first Irish breakfast.  This was also before the no smoking rule in pubs (EU benefit?).  She lived on muslix cereal, local farm cheese, fresh bread, and fresh mussels.  In fact our lunch from day two on that trip was local cheese, fresh bread, and French red wine (great value) consumed while sitting in beautiful, peaceful country church grounds/cemeteries.

We found a pub between Clifden and Sligo that literally sat on a mussel farm lake (I think this is it in the photo) where we literally saw the cook walk out to the lake to get the mussels we were served.  Unbelievable!

Quote from: Astrid Galactic on September 30, 2016, 07:54:48 PM
I love Italian and French sodas. They have a great bubble and I think use real fruit juices. Not overly sweet either. They are great with an extra nice dinner accompanied with a glass of wine.

Does anyone remember Squirt? Not anywhere as good as the ones noted above but it's an American grapefruit soda. Always loved that stuff but can never find it anywhere. I know they still make it but good luck finding anyplace that might have it. It's really good with gin too. Sort of like a Tom Collins.

It's still around.  I like it too, the diet version is one of the few drinkable diet sodas.  Italian and French sodas have so many great flavors, there are some good ones from Spain as well

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on September 30, 2016, 09:14:36 PM
Indeed, she was appalled.  I first took her to Ireland in the early 90s (my fourth trip) and I thought she was going to faint when she was served her first Irish breakfast.  This was also before the no smoking rule in pubs (EU benefit?).  She lived on muslix cereal, local farm cheese, fresh bread, and fresh mussels.  In fact our lunch from day two on that trip was local cheese, fresh bread, and French red wine (great value) consumed while sitting in beautiful, peaceful country church grounds/cemeteries.

We found a pub between Clifden and Sligo that literally sat on a mussel farm lake (I think this is it in the photo) where we literally saw the cook walk out to the lake to get the mussels we were served.  Unbelievable!
Good times, Uncle! I had an employee who needed to take some days off. I asked why. Her cousin was preggers n due but they lived in some small island so she was gonna stay with her. Had to convince husband who had a mussel boat n said come over for dinner. He thought it was weak/steange to go somewhere to have a child and etc. City folk, etc. Good guy, from what I could understand, but we just downed beers n talked n nodded at each other. His hands were as big and strong at handshake as my real farmer relatives etc. But shy, but didnt know own strength from work. Bairn was born healthy "in hospital" and all went well. I have stories from Ireland also. Away from cities much of area is like our former midwest, country, NE, mountain, Southern, or wherever small town life.

Food: fishpie and chips with WHITE, not malt, vinegar- more tart. Late night, drunk. Their version of fastfood place. Morning bacon roll n brown sauce.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: albrecht on September 30, 2016, 10:11:13 PM
Good times, Uncle! I had an employee who needed to take some days off. I asked why. Her cousin was preggers n due but they lived in some small island so she was gonna stay with her. Had to convince husband who had a mussel boat n said come over for dinner. He thought it was weak/steange to go somewhere to have a child and etc. City folk, etc. Good guy, from what I could understand, but we just downed beers n talked n nodded at each other. His hands were as big and strong at handshake as my real farmer relatives etc. But shy, but didnt know own strength from work. Bairn was born healthy "in hospital" and all went well. I have stories from Ireland also. Away from cities much of area is like our former midwest, country, NE, mountain, Southern, or wherever small town life.

Food: fishpie and chips with WHITE, not malt, vinegar- more tart. Late night, drunk. Their version of fastfood place. Morning bacon roll n brown sauce.

Yes good times, I've been to Ireland at least fifteen times. Once thought about settling there (Donegal) in retirement, but Mrs Duke would have no part of it.  One of my most precious memories was buying my then 17 yr old daughter her first "legal" beer in a peat smoky pub in a tiny village in Donegal while three locals played Celtic music.  My hope is to do the same with my 3 yr old granddaughter, but I fear time is against me

zeebo

Rolled tacos w/ guac & cheese from Roberto's in San Diego.  An exceptional 2am snack.

Catsmile

Quote from: Astrid Galactic on September 30, 2016, 06:04:27 PM
What the hell is this mystery food? The reddish stuff looks like kimchi which I really like.

Is the green stuff seaweed? I usually like it but not sure if I'd like it in those sheets. Maybe.

TOP: Balut. Fertilized duck egg, that is incubated for up to 14 days before being boiled. Melt in your mouth, tender, juicy, with a pinch of coarse salt. Taste like a boiled egg, but much richer with a hint of marrow.

MIDDLE: Kimchi. Hundreds types of kimchi.

BOTTOM: Korean Roasted Seeweed (Gim-Gui: 김구이). Paper thin, crispy, on rice, kimchi, any sidedish, or by itself, yummy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWK0AIPrVSc

Catsmile

Lechon Baboy. Yummmy yummmy. It's delightful to be on a tropical island, watching exotic cinnamon girls fighting over ears and snout of lechon baboy. 

ItsOver

Quote from: Value Of Pi on September 30, 2016, 08:26:12 PM
I was a Ho Ho kid.

I was the 6th grade candy pusher during school lunch time in the cafeteria.  My best selling contraband was this.

Ah, those were the high-life days of living large off the profits of my illicit candy trafficing, cruising the streets on my Stingray.

chefist

Quote from: ItsOver on October 01, 2016, 05:01:01 PM
I was a Ho Ho kid.

I was the 6th grade candy pusher during school lunch time in the cafeteria.  My best selling contraband was this.

I had one too...it was orange with a silver metallic sparkling seat...those seats were actually very comfortable...