• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Suicide by cop in San Diego?

Started by GravitySucks, September 28, 2016, 08:10:06 PM

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: GravitySucks on September 28, 2016, 08:10:06 PM
Apparently a guy (refugee from Uganda) pulled out an ecig and aimed it at a cop. Bad move.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CALIFORNIA_POLICE_SHOOTING_THE_LATEST?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-09-28-22-03-38

Shit! What if the guy was just vaping?! I think it's time to admit these guys are getting a little too trigger happy to do their jobs adequately. It's protect and serve, not pursue and murder.  ::) :D

paladin1991

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on September 28, 2016, 08:15:38 PM
Shit! What if the guy was just vaping?! I think it's time to admit these guys are getting a little too trigger happy to do their jobs adequately. It's protect and serve, not pursue and murder.  ::) :D

I saw a still shot of this event.  It looks like he did point it at an officer in what could be seen as a shooters position.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on September 28, 2016, 08:15:38 PM

From what I read and saw in the pic, I believe he really was trying to commit suicide by cop. He was despondent and when he was told to take his hand out of his pocket he drew what was in his pocket and took aim like he was going to shoot. One officer tased him but the ither one shot him at the same time.

I don't condone anyone being trigger happy. It is a split second decision that is going to fuck up this cop ror a long time. I don't believe cops wake up and wonder if they are going to get a chance to shoot someone today. I know two Houston cops that retired after 30 years and neither ever had to fire their weapon. One was on the local fugitive task force. He seldom even drew his weapon, but he did work a lot with a K9.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: GravitySucks on September 28, 2016, 08:53:50 PM
From what I read and saw in the pic, I believe he really was trying to commit suicide by cop. He was despondent and when he was told to take his hand out of his pocket he drew what was in his pocket and took aim like he was going to shoot. One officer tased him but the ither one shot him at the same time.

I don't condone anyone being trigger happy. It is a split second decision that is going to fuck up this cop ror a long time. I don't believe cops wake up and wonder if they are going to get a chance to shoot someone today. I know two Houston cops that retired after 30 years and neither ever had to fire their weapon. One was on the local fugitive task force. He seldom even drew his weapon, but he did work a lot with a K9.

Alright. I'll take your word for it but even if that's the case should that even be possible in a case where there's no gun. Shouldn't the police take cover until they can assess the situation better? Perhaps with a zoom lens they could've determined they were only dealing with a harmless but distressed nutbar and get him help rather than killing him. I don't think the state should be providing suicide services to it's citizens so readily. New conflict resolution training for police should be at the top of any candidate's platform this election but I don't think I've heard any talk about that.

norland2424

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on September 28, 2016, 09:03:40 PM
Alright. I'll take your word for it but even if that's the case should that even be possible in a case where there's no gun. Shouldn't the police take cover until they can assess the situation better? Perhaps with a zoom lens they could've determined they were only dealing with a harmless but distressed nutbar and get him help rather than killing him. I don't think the state should be providing suicide services to it's citizens so readily. New conflict resolution training for police should be at the top of any candidate's platform this election but I don't think I've heard any talk about that.

Sorry but have you ever handled a firearm? Fuck running for cover if someones trying to open up on you.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: norland2424 on September 28, 2016, 09:47:33 PM
Sorry but have you ever handled a firearm? Fuck running for cover if someones trying to open up on you.

I'm not claiming to be any kind of warrior but even Dirty Harry wasn't given to shooting people this much.  ::)

You really don't see any problem?  :D

Hog

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on September 28, 2016, 09:03:40 PM
Your response is laughable.  In the next thread, you will want the cops to actually have bullets flying at them before they can shoot.
"Conflict resolution training should be at the top of any candidates platform?"  Wow, really?  That's just silly.

peace
Hog

norland2424

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on September 28, 2016, 10:10:07 PM
I'm not claiming to be any kind of warrior but even Dirty Harry wasn't given to shooting people this much.  ::)

You really don't see any problem?  :D

No it's common sense that you don't let someone shoot at you first.

K_Dubb

http://www.pri.org/stories/2013-12-03/iceland-grieves-after-police-kill-man-first-time-its-history

QuoteIt's the first time someone has been killed by armed police in Iceland since it became an independent republic in 1944. Police don't even carry weapons, usually. Violent crime in Iceland is almost non-existent. As of July 8, 2016, the 2013 incident remains the only time Icelandic police have shot and killed anyone.

"The nation does not want its police force to carry weapons because it's dangerous, it's threatening," Arnorsdottir says. "It's a part of the culture. Guns are used to go hunting as a sport, but you never see a gun."

In fact, Iceland isn't anti-gun. In terms of per-capita gun ownership, Iceland ranks 15th in the world. Still, this incident was so rare that neighbors of the man shot were comparing the shooting to a scene from an American film. 

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Hog on September 28, 2016, 10:10:55 PM
Your response is laughable.  In the next thread, you will want the cops to actually have bullets flying at them before they can shoot.
"Conflict resolution training should be at the top of any candidates platform?"  Wow, really?  That's just silly.

peace
Hog

I didn't say that but surely killing people can't be the first and only option police have at their disposal. I'd like to think there might still be some reasonable, level-head police officers who can keep their cool long enough to at least assess the situation. Sure the police have to try to prevent and stop crimes but investigation used to be one of the things they did too. You know, figure out what the fuck is going on first instead of just reacting. Maybe if the cops in Charlotte had taken just a minute to talk to his wife he would still be alive. There were certainly enough other cops pointing guns at him that one could've investigated a bit. Maybe the guy did have a gun an was acting weasely. I don't know...but it just seems like these guys are a bunch of roided up, coked up Call of Duty players whose first options is always bang, bang, bang now.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: norland2424 on September 28, 2016, 10:13:44 PM
No it's common sense that you don't let someone shoot at you first.

Alright. Well, then let's just preemptively shoot everyone. That should take care of the problem. You never know when a kid eating a Snickers bar might be a terrorist firing a gun.  ::)

What color is the sky in your paranoid world?  :D

norland2424

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on September 28, 2016, 10:28:56 PM
Alright. Well, then let's just preemptively shoot everyone. That should take care of the problem. You never know when a kid eating a Snickers bar might be a terrorist firing a gun.  ::)

What color is the sky in your paranoid world?  :D

Lol dude you're the paranoid one here, look at how hes pointing his ecig at the cop? Thats a shooting stance, you really think the cop thats closer to him has a chance to back up?

GravitySucks

Quote from: norland2424 on September 28, 2016, 10:31:41 PM
Lol dude you're the paranoid one here, look at how hes pointing his ecig at the cop? Thats a shooting stance, you really think the cop thats closer to him has a chance to back up?

The cop on the right looks like he watches too much karate kid. Somebody needs to teach him the weaver or isocoles stance. Not a frikkin crane.

norland2424

Quote from: GravitySucks on September 28, 2016, 10:35:13 PM
The cop on the right looks like he watches too much karate kid. Somebody needs to teach him the weaver or isocoles stance. Not a frikkin crane.

Lol i think hes backing up but you're right, the only recent police shooting i have a problem with is the one guy that got shot by that female Leo.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: GravitySucks on September 28, 2016, 10:35:13 PM

Maybe he had to pee? It is kind of a high stress situation.  ;)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: norland2424 on September 28, 2016, 10:31:41 PM

I suppose not but he might've been close enough to realize he didn't have a gun. Someone warn those guys handing out pamphlets on the street not to try to give one to a cop. Then again they are kind of annoying... ???  :P

GravitySucks

Quote from: norland2424 on September 28, 2016, 10:37:19 PM
Lol i think hes backing up but you're right, the only recent police shooting i have a problem with is the one guy that got shot by that female Leo.

I agree, I haven't studied all of them, but most looked legit except that one where they guy was running away and got shot in the back. That has been awhile though.  I think I read the Tulsa female cop has been charged with manslaughter if I remember right.

norland2424

Quote from: GravitySucks on September 28, 2016, 10:41:47 PM
I agree, I haven't studied all of them, but most looked legit except that one where they guy was running away and got shot in the back. That has been awhile though.  I think I read the Tulsa female cop has been charged with manslaughter if I remember right.

I think that cop got a murder charge, the running away one, and yea the female did get charged with manslaughter.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on September 28, 2016, 10:21:44 PM
I didn't say that but surely killing people can't be the first and only option police have at their disposal. I'd like to think there might still be some reasonable, level-head police officers who can keep their cool long enough to at least assess the situation. Sure the police have to try to prevent and stop crimes but investigation used to be one of the things they did too. You know, figure out what the fuck is going on first instead of just reacting. Maybe if the cops in Charlotte had taken just a minute to talk to his wife he would still be alive. There were certainly enough other cops pointing guns at him that one could've investigated a bit. Maybe the guy did have a gun an was acting weasely. I don't know...but it just seems like these guys are a bunch of roided up, coked up Call of Duty players whose first options is always bang, bang, bang now.

Idunno... it sounds good, but without actually being in the shoes of the police officers in this situation, it's hard to judge what the correct decision was.

chefist

No win situation...cops are now told by their superiors...lose your life, or lose your job...up to you...

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: chefist on September 28, 2016, 11:16:51 PM
No win situation...cops are now told by their superiors...lose your life, or lose your job...up to you...

and if you lose your job, that probably means you're going to jail which means you're also losing your life.  i would never want to be a cop in 2016.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: mv on September 28, 2016, 11:14:52 PM
Idunno... it sounds good, but without actually being in the shoes of the police officers in this situation, it's hard to judge what the correct decision was.

I know but that justification is a slippery slope that can be used to justify almost any action. I have a feeling we will soon see a case where an individual is gunned down by the police for pointing their finger at them and making the "bang, bang" gesture. Maybe it's time to switch to decaf. Just sayin.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on September 28, 2016, 11:35:51 PM
I know but that justification is a slippery slope that can be used to justify almost any action. I have a feeling we will soon see a case where an individual is gunned down by the police for pointing their finger at them and making the "bang, bang" gesture. Maybe it's time to switch to decaf. Just sayin.

there are kernels of truth in what you're saying here.  we have kids getting kicked out of school for tearing bread into the shape of a gun (or was it cheese?).  we have cops being trained to see all civilians as a threat until proven otherwise.  where does this all lead? 

to my eye, it looks like police training and culture could use some work in this country.  i think part of the problem is military influence over our police forces and how they're trained/equipped/deployed.  some will disagree with this, but i think serving in a theater of battle in iraq or afghanistan should absolutely disqualify you from policing a civilian population here at home.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: mv on September 28, 2016, 11:42:42 PM
there are kernels of truth in what you're saying here.  we have kids getting kicked out of school for tearing bread into the shape of a gun (or was it cheese?).  we have cops being trained to see all civilians as a threat until proven otherwise.  where does this all lead? 

to my eye, it looks like police training and culture could use some work in this country.  i think part of the problem is military influence over our police forces and how they're trained/equipped/deployed.  some will disagree with this, but i think serving in a theater of battle in iraq or afghanistan should absolutely disqualify you from policing a civilian population here at home.

100% agree. It's creating a goon squad mentality that I thought was only supposed to exist in fascist regimes.  :o

Praise, MV! Can I get a Fuckin A!?  :D

Hog

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on September 28, 2016, 10:21:44 PM
conflict resolution training for police should be at the top of any candidate's platform

Those were your words.

And it is their first reaction when faced with what they perceive to be a weapon being raised at them. It SHOULD be anyones.  You pull a weapon or possible weapon and weild it at cops, expect to be shot.  Just as it always has been, and always should be.

Its kinda hard to talk down a suspect after they have inflicted a sucking chest wound on you and your partner.

peace
Hog

Hog

Quote from: mv on September 28, 2016, 11:42:42 PM

Not agreeing or disagreeing with you, but the rules of engagement were tighter in Afghanistan than they are for domestic police.  I wonder how many combat vets have been involved in actual questionable police shootings.  I'd guess that the people doing the shooting are NOT combat vets. A healthy vet would be tough to startle in such a situation, and simply would not pop off rounds because they are fearful.

Cops and servicepeople all have to remember that they sign up for these potentially dangerous jobs.  I would never be a cop in your country, couldnt pay me enough.

peace
Hog

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Hog on September 29, 2016, 08:41:10 PM
conflict resolution training for police should be at the top of any candidate's platform

Those were your words.

And it is their first reaction when faced with what they perceive to be a weapon being raised at them. It SHOULD be anyones.  You pull a weapon or possible weapon and weild it at cops, expect to be shot.  Just as it always has been, and always should be.

Its kinda hard to talk down a suspect after they have inflicted a sucking chest wound on you and your partner.

peace
Hog

Anything can be perceived as a weapon. That's a pretty loose justification for killing someone. Sorta carte blanche, if you ask me, counselor. Good luck with your killing though.  ;)

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on September 28, 2016, 11:58:35 PM

Praise, MV! Can I get a Fuckin A!?  :D

mmm hmm.  that's what i like to see.