• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Suicide by cop in San Diego?

Started by GravitySucks, September 28, 2016, 08:10:06 PM

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Hog on September 29, 2016, 08:58:26 PM
Not agreeing or disagreeing with you, but the rules of engagement were tighter in Afghanistan than they are for domestic police.  I wonder how many combat vets have been involved in actual questionable police shootings.  I'd guess that the people doing the shooting are NOT combat vets. A healthy vet would be tough to startle in such a situation, and simply would not pop off rounds because they are fearful.

Cops and servicepeople all have to remember that they sign up for these potentially dangerous jobs.  I would never be a cop in your country, couldnt pay me enough.

peace
Hog

I'm not speaking directly to the number of combat veterans involved in police shootings.  I have no idea what those numbers are.  I'm simply saying I think the militarized culture of our police departments is a problem.

albrecht

Quote from: mv on September 29, 2016, 09:14:05 PM
I'm not speaking directly to the number of combat veterans involved in police shootings.  I have no idea what those numbers are.  I'm simply saying I think the militarized culture of our police departments is a problem.
I agree though another problem is the militarization of our culture ("war on poverty," "war on drugs," etc as Carlin oft commented) and we are importing, literal, fighters from Cartels, war-zones, Islamic radicals, street gangs etc who have grown up in areas/cultures where shoot first, torture later, is a way of life- right across an open-border or no vetting policy. And, to be fair, our homegrown folks in inner-city gangs and BLMs, crazy "sovereigns," and meth-heads with delusions of revolution or twitchy fingers. And kicking out trained, but injured veterans, onto the street without proper help and aid and with secret VA waiting lists and jokes about them? And then expect our police to act like our old Andy Griffith types and won't allow them to "profile," (that is use logic based on the area, situation, and person being approached?)
ps: praise MV.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: albrecht on September 29, 2016, 09:20:16 PM
I agree though another problem is the militarization of our culture ("war on poverty," "war on drugs," etc as Carlin oft commented)
I see that too.  Brings to mind the playing of the national anthem and the use of military displays before sporting events.  I don't think either belong in a for-profit sporting event held by a giant business interest.

I'd hoped you'd get around to that.

albrecht

Quote from: mv on September 29, 2016, 09:28:53 PM

I'd hoped you'd get around to that.
Only because of your epic Hillary post with all the comments and vids.  ;)

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: albrecht on September 29, 2016, 09:40:11 PM

thanks.  it was easy to assemble.  there's so much material to work with.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on September 29, 2016, 09:40:11 PM

Agree! That response was a thing of beauty, mv! Kinda like watching a lion take down a zebra in slo-mo.  ;) :D

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on September 29, 2016, 09:42:01 PM
Agree! That response was a thing of beauty, mv! Kinda like watching a lion take down a zebra in slo-mo.  ;) :D

Thanks, but like I said, little effort required.

albrecht

Quote from: mv on September 29, 2016, 09:41:24 PM
thanks.  it was easy to assemble.  there's so much material to work with.
True, but the whole posting segments of other's replies thing. I never been able to figure that out. Of course, I also write too much and use too many punctuations and tend to have asides in my comments, which can cause one to lose focus from the main point. And not as much video as should be in today's culture.  Also, figured the diapers, or is it toddler stuff now, is paid for by the number of words!
praise MV. (Get Art to do a G2G on Bellgab or Jazcast. Haha.)

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: albrecht on September 29, 2016, 09:52:16 PM
True, but the whole posting segments of other's replies thing.

All you have to do is quote the original post, and then break the segments of the post into quotes like this:
[quote]
blah blah blah blah blah
[/qote]

[quote]
more dreck and bilge
[/quote]

There needs to be an opening and closing quote tag surrounding the block of text you want to break into a quote.  The / means it's a closing tag.

albrecht

Quote from: mv on September 29, 2016, 09:57:23 PM
All you have to do is quote the original post, and then break the segments of the post into quotes like this:

There needs to be an opening and closing quote tag surrounding the block of text you want to break into a quote.  The / means it's a closing tag.
Grassy-Ass, as our Mexican friends say. I still won't get it though for multiple postings but, please, no need to explain more and take time away from family knocking Billary shrills and her hypocrisy, corruption, and ineptness.
Praise MV.

MV/Liberace!

By the way, when you're assembling a post, you can scroll down and click "Insert Quote" on any post, which will insert a quote of that post wherever your cursor is positioned.

paladin1991

Quote from: mv on September 28, 2016, 11:14:52 PM
Idunno... it sounds good, but without actually being in the shoes of the police officers in this situation, it's hard to judge what the correct decision was.

Oh for fucks sake, MV.  Pick a side to overreact on.  THIS.  IS.  BELLGAB!!!    There is no middle ground allowed, no gray zones. 

paladin1991

Quote from: mv on September 28, 2016, 11:20:41 PM
and if you lose your job, that probably means you're going to jail which means you're also losing your life.  i would never want to be a cop in 2016.

True.  My brother and I were talking about exactly this last week.  He retired in 2015.  For the last decade of his service, it was more answering calls for service than doing any actual police work.

paladin1991

Quote from: Hog on September 29, 2016, 08:58:26 PM
Not agreeing or disagreeing with you, but the rules of engagement were tighter in Afghanistan than they are for domestic police.  I wonder how many combat vets have been involved in actual questionable police shootings.  I'd guess that the people doing the shooting are NOT combat vets. A healthy vet would be tough to startle in such a situation, and simply would not pop off rounds because they are fearful.

Cops and servicepeople all have to remember that they sign up for these potentially dangerous jobs.  I would never be a cop in your country, couldnt pay me enough.

peace
Hog
Are you a vet?  A 'healthy' combat vet?  And do you owe your healthfulness to eating your veggies?

Cops today are trigger happy. Why not just back off a bit and TALK to the guy first? Is that too much to ask? These cops running around with their .40 Glocks spraying round after round at anybody that says boo. And why does it take 29 police cars all lined up around the block to handle one dude who MIGHT have a gun??

I recall a time when cops walked a beat and got to actually know people and know the hood. They were tough, these guys. You got out of line, they cracked you with a big ol` stick. Not to be trifled with. People wanted to grow up to be a cop because they admired them. Not anymore. Sad.

paladin1991

Quote from: FightTheFuture on September 30, 2016, 11:29:00 AM
Cops today are trigger happy. Why not just back off a bit and TALK to the guy first? Is that too much to ask? These cops running around with their .40 Glocks spraying round after round at anybody that says boo. And why does it take 29 police cars all lined up around the block to handle one dude who MIGHT have a gun??

I recall a time when cops walked a beat and got to actually know people and know the hood. They were tough, these guys. You got out of line, they cracked you with a big ol` stick. Not to be trifled with. People wanted to grow up to be a cop because they admired them. Not anymore. Sad.

My brother and I were trained up to be Andy Griffith.  To keep the peace was the first priority of the Peace Officer.  Now, everybody is a fucking ninja, with their cool para military uniforms, military toys, military training and their 'when I was in 6th grade 'they' used to  laugh at me, we'll see who's laughing now' attitude....

Ninjas.  I hate  fucking ninjas.

Quote from: paladin1991 on September 30, 2016, 11:34:10 AM

My brother and I were trained up to be Andy Griffith.  To keep the peace was the first priority of the Peace Officer.  Now, everybody is a fucking ninja, with their cool para military uniforms, military toys, military training and their 'when I was in 6th grade 'they' used to  laugh at me, we'll see who's laughing now' attitude....

Ninjas.  I hate  fucking ninjas.

You should see the security guard down the street from me. He guards a big fancy oceanfront resort. Total gear queer. You`d think the guy was just dropped by himself in the Helmund Province. All he does is spook the old people. Probably never served.

Ah hell, I`m just an old dinosaur, anyway. My day is rapidly drawing near and I couldnt be happier.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: paladin1991 on September 30, 2016, 11:12:38 AM
Oh for fucks sake, MV.  Pick a side to overreact on.  THIS.  IS.  BELLGAB!!!    There is no middle ground allowed, no gray zones.

You're right.  Fuck it!  Black lives matter.  And only black lives.

Hog

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on September 29, 2016, 09:09:54 PM
Anything can be perceived as a weapon. That's a pretty loose justification for killing someone. Sorta carte blanche, if you ask me, counselor. Good luck with your killing though.  ;)
You are correct, any object could be percieved as a weapon, and when weilded in a manner similar to discharging a shot as in this example. Lethal force should be authorized.

The cops dont want to kill people(most of the time), they are trained to defend themselves.  Dont act like an idiot around cops, follow directions, and for heavens sake, dont raise up on a cop like you have a pistol.  It really is simple.

peace
Hog

Hog

Quote from: mv on September 29, 2016, 09:14:05 PM
Understood, I forgot to adress the culture part of your thought.

peace
Hog

paladin1991

Quote from: FightTheFuture on September 30, 2016, 11:41:38 AM
You should see the security guard down the street from me. He guards a big fancy oceanfront resort. Total gear queer. You`d think the guy was just dropped by himself in the Helmund Province. All he does is spook the old people. Probably never served.

Ah hell, I`m just an old dinosaur, anyway. My day is rapidly drawing near and I couldnt be happier.

Prayin' for that asteroid to hit, huh?  What's the time on target?.  I'll grab a bottle of Scotch and a pair of Seegars. 

the_Stranger

Quote from: mv on September 28, 2016, 11:42:42 PM
some will disagree with this, but i think serving in a theater of battle in iraq or afghanistan should absolutely disqualify you from policing a civilian population here at home.

I absolutely disagree with this.
The military are not taught to shoot on sight, they assess the situation.
Having ex-military in law enforcement would be a plus in my eyes.
But I think most ex-military are too smart to get into that line of work.
Most.

Hog

Quote from: the_Stranger on October 02, 2016, 12:09:23 AM
I absolutely disagree with this.
The military are not taught to shoot on sight, they assess the situation.
Having ex-military in law enforcement would be a plus in my eyes.
But I think most ex-military are too smart to get into that line of work.
Most.
A friend that went through basic training with me is now a Staff Sgt. in our Provincial Police force, but policing is a good paying and relatively risk free career up here.

peace
Hog