• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Skills you have that are obsolete

Started by 3OctaveFart, September 07, 2016, 07:03:23 AM

3OctaveFart

Beautiful cursive writing.

Let's hear them.

BobGrau

Analogue video editing.

Also, a working knowledge of the parliamentary structure of the Soviet Union, which ended two years before we were taught about it  ::)

Uncle Duke

How to use a slide rule
How to change a typewriter ribbon
How to use program a VCR

Switchboard operation.

The hospital I used to work for now has an automated one.

ItsOver

Logical thinking, the ability to appreciate and enjoy quality, new movies, music, and TV shows, and expert appreciation of skilled, late-night radio talk show hosts.

BobGrau

Quote from: ItsOver on September 07, 2016, 07:40:04 AM
Logical thinking, the ability to appreciate and enjoy quality, new movies, music, and TV shows, and expert appreciation of skilled, late-night radio talk show hosts.

You expect quality from movies?

Juan

BASIC on CP/M
Touch typing on a manual typewriter
Operating a 3/4" edit bay
Dialing a rotary telephone
Developing and printing film

How to arm a short range nuclear weapon (Thank-you INF treaty).

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Juan on September 07, 2016, 07:53:15 AM

I think we're applying the word 'skill' very loosely here.

Quote from: Juan on September 07, 2016, 07:53:15 AM

Tell the truth, did you let our finger take a ride back after dialing? I know I always did.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: FightTheFuture on September 07, 2016, 08:26:50 AM
Tell the truth, did you let our finger take a ride back after dialing? I know I always did.

You used your finger? How very conservative. It was much more fun the way I did it, but I'm glad I don't have to use public phoneboxes any more - all those court cases used to get very tiresome...

SredniVashtar

Walking in a straight line without staring at my fucking phone.

Making sure the COBOL paper accordions correctly from the printer while making a mental note that a CTOS module is running a little hot.

Assembling purchased groceries for maximum density in a paper sack.

Locating MITD on a local affiliate radio station.

Haha..this thread is proving to be quite funny.  Good one Meatie!

Yorkshire pud

Letterpress printing, using leaded type and etched copper image blocks composed in chases.

Film photography and developing.

Just being able to sit back, relax and allow my mind to chill out or go off into imaginary mode. No toys, tv, phone or other constant bombardment of modern technology.

Not lost but minimized - Cook without using a microwave, eating prepared or prepackaged easy meals, calling for delivery or going out to a restaurant.

Find my way around by using a compass, map or just looking up into the sky instead of using a GPS. Believe me, based on my current job, I can tell you that very basic compass knowledge is gone. These idiots can see a major ocean and can't figure out for the life of them which direction is north, east, south or west. They aren't the only ones lost. Society as a whole is lost.

Face it, we're all a bunch of geezers, and proud of it.

akwilly

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 07, 2016, 12:12:29 PM
Letterpress printing, using leaded type and etched copper image blocks composed in chases.
do you have this skill?

Laurakinch

Shorthand.

Learned it in high school but by then it wasn't being used as much. I still practice it for fun.

Yes I'm a nerd.

Quote from: SredniVashtar on September 07, 2016, 08:33:24 AM
You used your finger? How very conservative. It was much more fun the way I did it, but I'm glad I don't have to use public phoneboxes any more - all those court cases used to get very tiresome...

Well, yeah, I mean that makes sense, I`ve always heard you limeys have a pencil dick (Hey! the limey cihcks tell me that!).

Quote from: Astrid Galactic on September 07, 2016, 12:25:16 PM

Face it, we're all a bunch of geezers, and proud of it.

Speak fer yerself. I`m a delicately seasoned citizen.

Making a tri-corner hat out of newspaper.

Quote from: Laurakinch on September 07, 2016, 12:45:23 PM
Shorthand.

Learned it in high school but by then it wasn't being used as much. I still practice it for fun.

Yes I'm a nerd.

Just as long as you swallow.

Quote from: FightTheFuture on September 07, 2016, 12:48:03 PM
Speak fer yerself. I`m a delicately seasoned citizen.

I'm nicely vintage, like a fine wine or a warm guitar.

Quote from: Astrid Galactic on September 07, 2016, 12:51:36 PM
I'm nicely vintage, like a fine wine or a warm guitar.

I would consider it an honor to drink your delicious nectar.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: akwilly on September 07, 2016, 12:32:22 PM
do you have this skill?

Now? I don't know. Not been near a platen press in anger for over thirty years. Might come back to me. Why?