• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Skills you have that are obsolete

Started by 3OctaveFart, September 07, 2016, 07:03:23 AM

Driving around and actually finding stuff in a place you have never been with a paper map

akwilly

buying Playboy magazine solely for the pictures.

trostol

walking and chewing gum at the same time

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on September 07, 2016, 05:57:35 PM
You need to get out more.
No, Bateman needs to stay in and make a radio show or podcast. Manual is still the best but traffic and open-container laws killing all fun from driving. Also the manuals suck in some situations....like stuck in traffic in mountains.

paladin1991

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 07, 2016, 02:18:04 PM
In Spokane, silly.  When they cross the mountains we shame them into elocution classes to fit in.
Shit.  You're in Spo-Compton? 

Rix Gins

I skillfully dialed up a toll free number to order two of Art's autographed books.  "Now remember folks, tomorrow is going to be your last chance to order these books."  Art's voice from the previous night was still ringing through my head.

zeebo

WordPerfect 5.1 key combos.

Programming a VCR.

Long division.

Reading a map.

jazmunda

Quote from: zeebo on September 07, 2016, 11:41:15 PM

Programming a VCR.

Long division.

Reading a map.

Why is the time on my VCR flashing? It can't still be 12:00! January 1 1900 feels like it is dragging on a bit too long.

akwilly

Quote from: jaz on September 08, 2016, 12:00:11 AM
Why is the time on my VCR flashing? It can't still be 12:00! January 1 1900 feels like it is dragging on a bit too long.
have you tried unplugging it and then plugging it back in?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: jaz on September 08, 2016, 12:00:11 AM

Upside down electricity. Obvious.

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on September 07, 2016, 04:25:01 PM
I have a 1962 ford F100...3 on the tree.  No power steering or brakes....I struggle.

That brings back fond memories. My first car was a rickety, eighteen-year-old '57 Chevy I bought from a neighbor for $100. It had all the features you mentioned and no accessories whatsoever.  My buddies and I had to sing horribly off key a cappella versions of the popular tunes of the day if we wanted to hear them because it didn't even have a radio.

It was also my introduction to manual transmissions, and after I got the hang of it after trying my dad's patience to the limit while he taught me on northwoods back roads, I liked it so much that I've never owned a car with auto. If I had seven fingers on each hand and fifteen toes, it wouldn't be enough to count the times that having the capability to downshift has helped me avert an unpleasant outcome in hazardous winter driving situations.

trostol

Quote from: zeebo on September 07, 2016, 11:41:15 PM

Programming a VCR.

Long division.

Reading a map.

not so much long division..but i used to be good at math..had Algebra 2 and Geometry same year in HS ..then so on and so on..i forgot most of it

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on September 08, 2016, 12:31:53 AM
That brings back fond memories. My first car was a rickety, eighteen-year-old '57 Chevy I bought from a neighbor for $100. It had all the features you mentioned and no accessories whatsoever.  My buddies and I had to sing horribly off key a cappella versions of the popular tunes of the day if we wanted to hear them because it didn't even have a radio.

It was also my introduction to manual transmissions, and after I got the hang of it after trying my dad's patience to the limit while he taught me on northwoods back roads, I liked it so much that I've never owned a car with auto. If I had seven fingers on each hand and fifteen toes, it wouldn't be enough to count the times that having the capability to downshift has helped me avert an unpleasant outcome in hazardous winter driving situations.

Yeah, but what about the driving?

jazmunda

Quote from: akwilly on September 08, 2016, 12:12:05 AM
have you tried unplugging it and then plugging it back in?

That didn't work either. I think it's flashing faster now. It might have the same software as my microwave and my oven.

zeebo

Quote from: jaz on September 08, 2016, 01:01:24 AM
That didn't work either. I think it's flashing faster now. It might have the same software as my microwave and my oven.

Make sure you have your tv set to channel 3 and if that doesn't work try 4.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: jaz on September 08, 2016, 01:01:24 AM

Spyware. Senda can keep you up to speed on how insidious it is.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 08, 2016, 01:00:35 AM
Yeah, but what about the driving?

I have no idea what you're driving at.  However, I do know that as long as there are rough and rugged seafaring men who are willing to settle for the cheapest and most tawdry entertainment available in port, your peculiarly unique skill set will never be obsolete.

ItsOver

Quote from: Astrid Galactic on September 07, 2016, 04:35:13 PM
Again, not that I'm a whiz, but doing math without a calculator.
I can find square roots by hand.

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on September 07, 2016, 04:25:01 PM
I have a 1962 ford F100...3 on the tree.  No power steering or brakes....I struggle.
Is the gearshift collar getting sloppy yet ?   ;)

Quote from: Value Of Pi on September 07, 2016, 04:51:12 PM
Compared with many younger people, you're probably a whiz. Did you have to memorize the
multiplication table in school? Right there, you're way ahead of more and more people who can barely add single digits in their head, much less anything halfway complex.
Lol - Flash cards, 3rd grade. I'm just glad by the time I got to high school, logarithmic tables were no longer required to be memorized. Calculators were just being allowed to be used in class - no longer considered a sin, or cheating. ;)

Quote from: GravitySucks on September 07, 2016, 05:27:55 PM
Finding Top Dead Center
Using a timing light
Using a dwell meter
Setting points
Rebuilding a carburetor (Holly, Rochester, Carter)
HA !
I still do all of them. ;)

Philosopher

Logic.  Ability to spell.  Critical thinking.

jazmunda

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on September 08, 2016, 01:32:40 AM
Spyware. Senda can keep you up to speed on how insidious it is.

My oven has spyware now? Real men do eat quiche you know.

jazmunda

I can convert Celsius to Fahrenheit and Kilometers to Miles without an app.

Could never do gallons to litres. Fractions were never my strong suit.

Lilith

I had become very skilled at looking forward to hearing MV do a live broadcast.

Philosopher

Staying up all night listening to Art Bell.

GravitySucks

Quote from: knownassociate on October 29, 2016, 02:49:39 AM
Stay-at-home-mother.

One of the most honorable occupations. Underpaid, unappreciated, yet worthy of praise.