• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

REAL !!! Possible ET signal picked up from a 6.5 billion year old star

Started by nathan, August 29, 2016, 06:34:36 PM

nathan

http://observer.com/2016/08/not-a-drill-seti-is-investigating-a-possible-extraterrestrial-signal-from-deep-space/

This is incredible, why is it not all over the news? Could it actually be a Dyson sphere?!? Man where is Art Bell when you need him. Real "Contact" stuff here. SETI!

trostol

Quote from: nathan on August 29, 2016, 06:34:36 PM
http://observer.com/2016/08/not-a-drill-seti-is-investigating-a-possible-extraterrestrial-signal-from-deep-space/

This is incredible, why is it not all over the news? Could it actually be a Dyson sphere?!? Man where is Art Bell when you need him. Real "Contact" stuff here. SETI!

a dyson sphere that dyson himself thought was a ridiculous idea?

K_Dubb

Quote from: nathan on August 29, 2016, 06:34:36 PM

First they thought they could actually see a Dyson sphere.  That fell apart.  Now they think they can hear one?  Talk about jumping the gun.

Thankfully we have Hoagie to explain it all to us.

GravitySucks

Quote from: K_Dubb on August 29, 2016, 09:57:25 PM

First they thought they could actually see a Dyson sphere.  That fell apart.  Now they think they can hear one?  Talk about jumping the gun.

Thankfully we have Hoagie to explain it all to us.

Different star. Not Tabby's Star

zeebo

I've read like three articles on this and each one has a pic of Jodie Foster.   ::)

trostol

other problem is..say its real...its from 6.5 billion years ago lol

GravitySucks

Quote from: trostol on August 30, 2016, 03:22:33 PM
other problem is..say its real...its from 6.5 billion years ago lol

Our sun is 4.5 billion years old, give or take a leap year or two. It is not how old the star is, it is how far away the star is that tells when the signal was sent.

starrmtn001

Quote from: GravitySucks on August 30, 2016, 03:25:24 PM
Our sun is 4.5 billion years old, give or take a leap year or two. It is not how old the star is, it is how far away the star is that tells when the signal was sent.
I believe you, Gravity.  You used to work there, didn't you? ::)

trostol

Quote from: GravitySucks on August 30, 2016, 03:25:24 PM

hmm..why did i read that as 6.5 billion light years away lol

ItsOver

"The SETI Institute focused the Allen Telescope Array (ATA), a system of radio dishes in Northern California, at HD 164595 Sunday night (Aug. 28) and plans to do so again tonight (Aug. 29), Shostak said. He certainly hopes the ATA finds something that would suggest ET is behind the signal, but he said he suspects there's a more prosaic explanation.

For example, it's possible that interference by an Earth-orbiting satellite or something else close to home is responsible, Shostak said. Indeed, he said that such "terrestrial interference" would be his bet, if we ever do learn what caused the signal.

But, sadly, it's very possible that we'll never know. The Russia-based team apparently observed the HD 164595 system 39 different times and only detected the signal once, Shostak said. If nobody sees it again, it will probably remain a mystery, much like the famous "Wow!" signal of 1977.

"Without a confirmation of this signal, we can only say that it's 'interesting,'" Shostak wrote today in a blog post about the candidate signal detection."

http://www.space.com/33893-seti-investigates-strong-candidate-signal.html

I'm sure the original article(s), especially on Drudge, served it's purpose.  Some "easy-to-get" clicks.

Hog

Quote from: trostol on August 30, 2016, 03:39:06 PM
hmm..why did i read that as 6.5 billion light years away lol
If the star in question is 6.5 billion light years away, the signals we are receiving right now are 6.5 billion years old, However the starr is 95 light years away so the signals we are now passing by Earth are 95 years old.

The Sun is 8 light minutes away. Light travels at 300,000 km/sec or about 200,000 miles per second.  The Moon is about 1.3 light seconds away from Earth.

The big bang was approx 13 billion years ago

big big numbers and spaces.

Every single person reading this was made from elements produced by a star, esp Star Mountain.

peace
Hog

paladin1991

Quote from: Hog on August 30, 2016, 11:13:28 PM

Every single person reading this was made from elements produced by a star, esp Star Mountain.

peace
Hog

Not me.  I was created by GOD.  He made the angels, the heavens and the earth.  Then HE had some pretty esoteric stuff left over.  HE scraped it all together, made me in HIS image, patted me on the back and said, 'Go on paladin, they need you more down there than I need you up here.  Don't worry, I'LL come get you when it's all done.  And one more thing, I'VE got this awesome set of Dress Blues for you."

Little Hater

Quote from: paladin1991 on August 31, 2016, 11:26:13 AM
Not me.  I was created by GOD.  He made the angels, the heavens and the earth.  Then HE had some pretty esoteric stuff left over.  HE scraped it all together, made me in HIS image, patted me on the back and said, 'Go on paladin, they need you more down there than I need you up here.  Don't worry, I'LL come get you when it's all done.  And one more thing, I'VE got this awesome set of Dress Blues for you."

Dude was just fucking with you. Dress blues will be plenty hot down below.

nathan

After reading some other articles I'm a little less excited. The fact that the Jodie Foster image is used for all of the articles also says a lot about how the media is going to treat this whole phenomenon if it were to ever truly gain steam with concrete proof. Joke about it, make clickbait articles, and then move on to Trump's next SHOCKING statement, or some terrorist attack in Europe.