• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Want to own a newspaper in Vermont?

Started by GravitySucks, August 25, 2016, 04:17:44 PM

GravitySucks

Contest being held by a small community newspaper that was started in the 1800's. They had to extend the date because they didn't get 700 entrants.

Write a 400 word essay following their rules, pay $175, and if you are selected as the winner, you get the building and the business. In Vermont.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/26/us/want-to-own-a-newspaper-a-vermont-contest-has-trouble-finding-takers.html?_r=0

Ciardelo

Quote from: GravitySucks on August 25, 2016, 04:17:44 PM
Contest being held by a small community newspaper that was started in the 1800's. They had to extend the date because they didn't get 700 entrants.

Write a 400 word essay following their rules, pay $175, and if you are selected as the winner, you get the building and the business. In Vermont.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/26/us/want-to-own-a-newspaper-a-vermont-contest-has-trouble-finding-takers.html?_r=0
What the hell is wrong with the son, Sawyer, 25ys old taking over? There is something fishy here...I'll pay 20K cash, no more. Tell them that

Ciardelo

Quote from: Ciardelo on August 26, 2016, 05:04:18 AM
What the hell is wrong with the son, Sawyer, 25ys old taking over? There is something fishy here...I'll pay 20K cash, no more. Tell them that
OK, no response?

My current offer is 5K cash money. No more. Serious offer assuming the offer is not a rental building and that there is no debt...

I still think this deal is queer.

akwilly

Quote from: GravitySucks on August 25, 2016, 04:17:44 PM

Gee, write an essay, pay $175, and you have a one in 700 or worse chance of winning a business on the wrong side of the tech curve, which even today means long hours for shitty pay and jawing with small town yokels for four hours to sell two ads.  I wonder why 700+ people aren't falling over themselves to enter.  What a poorly conceived idea.

Does Falkie know about this?  I mean, what with him being the most trusted man in news journalism, and his background as a professional writer, he should be a shoe-in.  700 applicants at $175 a pop?  Maybe it was Falkie who conceived of this marketing plan. 

akwilly

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on August 26, 2016, 06:12:40 AM
Gee, write an essay, pay $175, and you have a one in 700 or worse chance of winning a business on the wrong side of the tech curve, which even today means long hours for shitty pay and jawing with small town yokels for four hours to sell two ads.  I wonder why 700+ people aren't falling over themselves to enter.  What a poorly conceived idea.
as someone familiar with newspapers I would like to know what type of printing presses they have.

Quote from: Ciardelo on August 26, 2016, 05:04:18 AM

I imagine Sawyer will enter and win.

This will look really good on his resume when he applies for employment with the Clinton Foundation.

Quote from: akwilly on August 26, 2016, 07:28:27 AM
as someone familiar with newspapers I would like to know what type of printing presses they have.

Willy,

A few years back, our local paper decided to contract their printing out to another source and sold their press.  I can't tell you what kind it was but I used to buy the remaining paper spools for our local animal shelter.  I guess when the spool got down to a certain level, the old press would act up, so when it used around 80 percent of the paper, they would pull it and put in a fresh spool.  The shelter used the paper to line cat cages.  One day, the old codger who worked there asked me if I wanted to see the press.  He told me it was quite old...turn of the century.  I was surprised to see how friggin' huge it was.  It took up nearly an entire room. 

Here is a link which shows a couple pics of the equipment.

http://www.hardwickgazette.com/#about

Philosopher

Hint: Vermont ranks as the No. 9 worst state in America for property taxes.  And, no one reads news rags anymore, even in Vermont.

Philosopher

The "newspaper" is in hardwick, vermont - one of the poorest towns in the state.  here is a photo:

akwilly

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on August 26, 2016, 07:54:35 AM
Willy,

A few years back, our local paper decided to contract their printing out to another source and sold their press.  I can't tell you what kind it was but I used to buy the remaining paper spools for our local animal shelter.  I guess when the spool got down to a certain level, the old press would act up, so when it used around 80 percent of the paper, they would pull it and put in a fresh spool.  The shelter used the paper to line cat cages.  One day, the old codger who worked there asked me if I wanted to see the press.  He told me it was quite old...turn of the century.  I was surprised to see how friggin' huge it was.  It took up nearly an entire room. 

Here is a link which shows a couple pics of the equipment.

http://www.hardwickgazette.com/#about
ya they get their paper printed somewhere else. The equipment they showed in the photos were a type of sheet fed press, most likely ornamental at this point but granted they could be used to print up to an 8.5 by 11 sheet of paper. Too bad they don't have a few offset presses. I think the winner of this contest is basically winning a naming right

akwilly

Quote from: Philosopher on August 26, 2016, 08:05:07 AM
Hint: Vermont ranks as the No. 9 worst state in America for property taxes.  And, no one reads news rags anymore, even in Vermont.
I disagree. A quality newspaper in a small town is a big deal. Small towns want to see photos of their youth in sports and such and small town politics play out in the papers

Quote from: akwilly on August 26, 2016, 08:26:55 AM
ya they get their paper printed somewhere else. The equipment they showed in the photos were a type of sheet fed press, most likely ornamental at this point but granted they could be used to print up to an 8.5 by 11 sheet of paper. Too bad they don't have a few offset presses. I think the winner of this contest is basically winning a naming right
If they did get the 700 minimum applicants, that would generate $122,500.00 for the owners.

Quote from: akwilly on August 26, 2016, 08:32:17 AM
I disagree. A quality newspaper in a small town is a big deal. Small towns want to see photos of their youth in sports and such and small town politics play out in the papers
True. We have 3 local papers within a 20 mile radius still going strong.

Jackstar

Meth lab in the basement. Toxic property syndrome.

That said, I'm literally dyin' for a chance to put "Hardwick" on my business cards, so there's that.

Philosopher

Quote from: akwilly on August 26, 2016, 08:32:17 AM

Have you ever been to Vermont?