• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Military Coup underway in Turkey

Started by GuerrillaUnReal, July 15, 2016, 02:10:07 PM

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on July 15, 2016, 04:37:29 PM
So I guess we can officially declare that bringing democracy to the Middle East has failed.
I give Turkey credit.  They keep trying at real democracy, and their military keeps giving them mulligans when the same old sectarian shits spoil it. Still to early to call; rural eastern Turkey is still very trad and heavily Sunni.  I hope the Kurds don't do anything stupid.

Quote from: VtaGeezer on July 15, 2016, 04:44:42 PM
I give Turkey credit.  They keep trying at real democracy, and their military keeps giving them mulligans when the same old sectarian shits spoil it. Still to early to call; rural eastern Turkey is still very trad and heavily Sunni.  I hope the Kurds don't do anything stupid.

It's hard to get Muslims to democraticize.  They don't believe in complete freedom.  That's why every effort fails over there.  People don't seem to realize that Islam is a political ideology as well as a religious one.  Unless our leaders realize this, the West is doomed.

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 15, 2016, 04:50:24 PM
It's hard to get Muslims to democraticize.  They don't believe in complete freedom.  That's why every effort fails over there.  People don't seem to realize that Islam is a political ideology as well as a religious one.

No, incorrect. They love freedom more than they love a house in the suburbs otherwise they wouldn't be rolling around in camel trains for thousands of years. They like government far less than us. There are stories from the Romans about how hard it was to collect taxes and get the Arabs to form any kind of government.

albrecht

Quote from: Jackstar on July 15, 2016, 04:56:48 PM

Turkey is the one area in which the most wild conspiracy theories are likely true. It takes "Jackstar-like" thinking when you wade through the history, religions, geo-politics, and economic of making a Turkish government through-out history.
Here are some basics:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_state
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susurluk_scandal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_Wolves_(organization)
http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/07/12/turkeys-deep-state-has-a-secret-backchannel-to-assad/

Quote from: NowhereInTime on July 15, 2016, 03:26:36 PM
In direct relation to the increased amount of black, brown, and breasted elected officials, no doubt.

Well they have been the most corrupt, incompetent, and fallacious officials ever.

but, but, but, my magical brown people and stronk wimmienz

Quote from: VtaGeezer on July 15, 2016, 04:44:42 PM

The turkroaches can't handle democracy.

The turkroach citizens need an iron hand to bring them to heel.

I_Speculate

Soldiers open fire on civilians. Obama says they will not support a takeover and support the democratically elected government.

Sigh reading the tea leaves says this is failing. Fuck fuck fuck.

norland2424

Quote from: Empress on July 15, 2016, 05:27:08 PM

Its going strong from what im reading.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on July 15, 2016, 04:54:10 PM
No, incorrect. They love freedom more than they love a house in the suburbs otherwise they wouldn't be rolling around in camel trains for thousands of years. They like government far less than us. There are stories from the Romans about how hard it was to collect taxes and get the Arabs to form any kind of government.
If you think Turks (or Arabs) have some freedom and liberty heritage, ask a Turkish or Arab woman born before 1980 about it, or a man born to the wrong clan.  Turks aren't nomadic Arabs so I don't know what your camel train comment means.  Democracy and our concept of liberty are still largely unaccepted if not alien.  They get the representative part, but rights and equality stuff are very slow to take hold. We're still at it after 200 years.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: I_Speculate on July 15, 2016, 05:19:47 PM
Obama says they will not support a takeover and support the democratically elected Islamist government that bombs Turkish citizens, abetted ISIS, and imprisons journalists.
FIFY

King Muslim Obongo supports Erdogan.

Can't wait till this Kenyan goes back to his African country and takes his tranny wife with him.

Quote from: VtaGeezer on July 15, 2016, 05:38:00 PM
If you think Turks (or Arabs) have some freedom and liberty heritage, ask a Turkish or Arab woman born before 1980 about it, or a man born to the wrong clan.  Turks aren't nomadic Arabs so I don't know what your camel train comment means.  Democracy and our concept of liberty are still largely unaccepted if not alien.  They get the representative part, but rights and equality stuff are very slow to take hold. We're still at it after 200 years.

Turks aren't Arabs, but there are many nomadic Turks. The Ottomans were just one successful wave of Turkish tribes that took over.

VtaGeezer

News reports are all over the place.  I heard that a Turkish AF jet shot down a helicopter with 18 aboard.  One TV shot looks like people are celebrating, the next looks like they're fighting to get at armored vehicle crews.  Fox News was showing a crowd advancing on a tank with the troops firing into the air, and is reporting Erdowan's forces are winning.  I think it'll be many hours before solid news gets past the media blackout.  If Erdogan maintains popular support after the way he's oppressed, we're fucked.

K_Dubb

The way the crowds jig about like that it's hard to tell if they're happy or angry.  But I heard that all the people on the streets are violating the curfew and thus pro-gov't; the army told everyone to stay home.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on July 15, 2016, 05:51:19 PM
The Ottomans were just one successful wave of Turkish tribes that took over.
This is key to much of the ME turmoil.  Westerners have no idea what a tribe or clan is.  Except what they learned from cowboy and Errol Flynn movies.  Yet we insist they instantly assimilate our system on their social structure that we are completely ignorant of.  It's like telling people to ignore family and the govt will 'til you who your relatives are.

Quote from: VtaGeezer on July 15, 2016, 06:06:27 PM
This is key to much of the ME turmoil.  Westerners have no idea what a tribe or clan is.  Except what they learned from cowboy and Errol Flynn movies.  Yet we insist they instantly assimilate our system on their social structure that we are completely ignorant of.  It's like telling people to ignore family and the govt will 'til you who your relatives are.

I've read some Robert Kaplan and he agrees with that idea-in both the Middle East and Balkans.

coaster

Quote from: VoteQuimby on July 15, 2016, 02:10:07 PM
Jesus, every day now some crazy shit happening.

I just said the same thing. This world is ugly and depressing anymore. It's really getting to me. It's all quite unbearable.

VtaGeezer

Chinese curse:  "May you live in interesting times."

VtaGeezer

WH has stated that the US supports the elected govt.  Obama must have been warned that Erdogan is in control. He should STFU until the dust settles and stop playing international SJW. 

Lilith

Quote from: Empress on July 15, 2016, 05:27:08 PM

I feel your pain.

VtaGeezer

Erdogan about to land in Istanbul.  I'm reminded of the US media orgasm when the Ayatollah landed in Tehran and was met by the joyous democracy loving throng.  If this coup fails, I think Turkey will be Islamist and out of NATO in a year, US bases seized, and Erdogan a dictator. And the only military force in the ME trained and equipped NATO will be an adversary.  Thank you President Obama.

Hollow Man

Fuck, I hope they don't fail. I'm all for it. Time to drive this Isis-loving, Islamist worm out of power. I don't care if he is democratically elected. Fuck him, and fuck his supporters.   :D

trostol

i might of missed it some where..is this good or bad for the world?

norland2424

Quote from: trostol on July 15, 2016, 06:42:30 PM
i might of missed it some where..is this good or bad for the world?

This coup is a good thing