• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Bible

Started by Max, May 02, 2008, 09:02:51 PM

Max

so is the bible a conspiracy?

Like how? And I'm gonna say yes.

Max

are we being suckered into believing into something that was just an historical account of events, and the man was not a god..

That depends on what you believe, doesn't it? And on what you actually view the bible as, like you stated. I don't personally think it is a conspiracy in itself, but certain ways it has been used may be considered so.

Spikegirl

I don't think the Bible started off as a conspiracy, but it certainly has been used to supress and oppress.

EvB

The Bible is a book.  It's full of wonderful allegories and some pretty hair-raising violence and sex. I happen to be Christian (though I cringe to say so given what that's come to mean) and FWIW - I ABSOLUTELY think that there is a conspiracy related to the Bible - but the Bible itself?  Well - MAYBE -- since it's been chopped up and edited so often for political reasons . . . .

MV/Liberace!

something interesting about islam is that the koran has never been edited or revised in any way.  as a matter of fact, if you have a copy of the koran that is translated into any language other than arabic, it's not considered to be a copy of the koran.

my biggest beef with christianity has always been the willingness of its practitioners to modify and revise the supposed word of god in order to appeal to the changing times in which we live.

example:  church sanctioned same-sex marriages.  i don't care personally if gay people want to get married.  let them.  i don't believe it affects me in any way whatsoever.  but it doesn't surprise me one bit that it would be CHRISTIAN churches in this country where gay people can go get hitched under the guidance of an ordained minister of some sort.

doesn't the bible say it's against god to be gay?  i'm just throwing this out there, but i believe i've read that little part in the bible about men who lay with men and women who lay with women.  so how could people believe that they can be gay and christian when the bible clearly says this is not permissible?  i'm not saying people will go to hell for being gay.  i AM saying, however, that christianity is weak and virtually nonexistent because of the willingness of self proclaimed christians to move the goal post of what god supposedly is or isn't ok with.

i don't know of any gay mosques.  christianity in 2008 is weak, weak, weak.

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on May 19, 2008, 07:42:31 AM
something interesting about islam is that the koran has never been edited or revised in any way.  as a matter of fact, if you have a copy of the koran that is translated into any language other than arabic, it's not considered to be a copy of the koran.

my biggest beef with christianity has always been the willingness of its practitioners to modify and revise the supposed word of god in order to appeal to the changing times in which we live.

example:  church sanctioned same-sex marriages.  i don't care personally if gay people want to get married.  let them.  i don't believe it affects me in any way whatsoever.  but it doesn't surprise me one bit that it would be CHRISTIAN churches in this country where gay people can go get hitched under the guidance of an ordained minister of some sort.

doesn't the bible say it's against god to be gay?  i'm just throwing this out there, but i believe i've read that little part in the bible about men who lay with men and women who lay with women.  so how could people believe that they can be gay and christian when the bible clearly says this is not permissible?  i'm not saying people will go to hell for being gay.  i AM saying, however, that christianity is weak and virtually nonexistent because of the willingness of self proclaimed christians to move the goal post of what god supposedly is or isn't ok with.

i don't know of any gay mosques.  christianity in 2008 is weak, weak, weak.

Brilliant points.

When I last became involved in an exchange such as this, I directly or indirectly caused

1 suicide
3 imploded marriages
2 job dismissals
6 renouncements of faith in the top three faiths on the planet
  (I judge all organized religions with extreme prejudice)
1 reaffirmation of faith (with a few clarifications)
3 removed by force from premises

and

(Max Roach drum roll)

7 legal charges ranging from petty theft to assault - of which 3 cases remain breathing like necrotic sharks.

I emerged unscathed but contemplative.  I suffered in that I was saddened to see the dispersal of the "group."

It was in a far more intimate and longterm environment, to be sure (imagine a cross between an Elks Lodge and a book reading club with a diverse and infinitely renewing wet bar.  I still recall the hypnotic glint born of the horns of the vintage sterling silver stag bottle stopper applied to the throat of the green J?germeister urn.  In fact, if memory serves, it was the deer and cross logo on the J?germeister label itself that began our topic of doom, started by yours truly.  See "legend of Saint Herbert.")

Since religion is a sudden death topic on the first date - I have used it as such to disengage to my benefit when I detected that all too Damoclesian crack in the boiler sitting across from me.

Having said that, I don't much care if you believe in Mithra or Baphomet - you have Camazotz Automat's blessing.?

I am not a jealous god, by any stretch of the theological caul.

(?exception: Flat Earthers will not be tolerated)

EvB

Cam, honey -

I want some of whatever you were smo :o :oking when you wrote that post.  I know you tend to both the poetic and the satirical - but - errrrm, necrotic sharks?  Either I just don't get it - or there is something I don't know about the ability of sharks to breath after death.  I mean - eeewwwww - can sharks die from the outside in and keep breathing till they breath their last? 

As for St. H - do you really see that as a story of doom and gloom?  I thought, rather, it was a story of love.

Hang on - here comes the On Topic part:

George Noory has necrotic brain tissue -- and CONTINUES TO BREATH!!!!

It could be an alien, it could be an angel (or Saint Herbert if you will) but ---- IS IT A PORTAL?

EvB

Quote from: Max on May 03, 2008, 12:02:57 AM
are we being suckered into believing into something that was just an historical account of events, and the man was not a god..

I know I'm way late in responding to this but, "an historical account of events" ?   Yes, there are references to actual historical events, proven by contemporary independent reports of these events (Many having to do with things like when, where and how a particular temple was erected) but there is a lot more allegory, and with a touch of flat out myth. And, I'm not even sure the man was A man.  There were a number of Rabbinical rabble rousers around in 33ish BCE - there is also a dying and resurrected god on every street corner in history.

DAMN - I wonder how many people are gonna call douche on this?

And by the frickin' WAY - will someone explain to me how the word for a process of feminine hygiene has become a kind of expletive?  I know it's n oldie - but I REALLY wanna know the history and evolution of THAT one.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: EvB on May 21, 2008, 06:02:11 AM
And by the frickin' WAY - will someone explain to me how the word for a process of feminine hygiene has become a kind of expletive?  I know it's n oldie - but I REALLY wanna know the history and evolution of THAT one.

i'm not sure how the word evolved in that regard, but i will say this:  it certainly is an enjoyable word to use.

Quote from: EvB on May 21, 2008, 05:51:13 AM
Cam, honey -

As for St. H - do you really see that as a story of doom and gloom?  I thought, rather, it was a story of love.

Ev, baby... sweetie ... my little Ambrosian Lamb of God,

I am hesitant to explain my shards of uranium charged glass cast into this palaver - but you have caught me in a good mood, as I am preparing for my upcoming sabbatical. 

A Darker David Letterman: "Remember kids, June is Dead God Maintenance Month."

As to what I am smoking.  If you could but reside in this ~Golgothian Temple~ for a single day...

I did not state the St. Frank Herbert of Dune story was doom and gloom.  I said: In fact, if memory serves, it was the deer and cross logo on the J?germeister label itself that began our topic of doom, started by yours truly.  See "legend of Saint Herbert."

Began and Our.

Our topic of Gloom and Doom at the lodge being religion et al, only described as G&D now by retro foreshadowing, seeing as to where it led us and what actions were executed over the next several weeks.

We were doing shots and I, always the life/death of the party, innocently asked if anyone was aware of the history of this deer blood's consecrated label.  I merely wanted to talk about how St. Frank Herbert saw a sacred symbol in the stretched caul of an Arraki sandworm.  (other references, see Mezcal worm, Spice, Iraq,)

He who controls the spice, controls the universe.

I may be mixing myths here, but you understand. (sip)  I trust anyone who has visited Dante's Inferno has perused the epic Dune?

As far as the obviously ~inspiring~ "Necrotic Sharks" (I amuse myself here) ... they refer to three attorneys who will not allow the aforementioned three cases to die/lapse/settle.

I doubt there will be another Monday night meeting of the Order Of the Omniscient Bats lodge until all legal woes are truly "dead in the water." So to speak.

Speaking of Necrotic Sandworms, I am not convinced Brian Herbert's additions to Frank's legacy is wise.  One could view them as "dead books" in light of Herbert's passing.  Frank could be a real stick in the sand and I can't imagine his wanting the series to go beyond what had been published.  As an example of his prissiness, was it not in fact Mr. Herbert who became quite offended at Iron Maiden merely for wishing to use the word "Dune" in the title of the song now known as "To Tame A Land"?  I adore Frank's writing, but what a pompous Fremen!  Compare his vitriol to the more magnanimous Patrick McGoohan who gladly and BRILLIANTLY read aloud the passage from Revelation for the introduction to the band's title song on Number of the Beast.

o-o-o

You mentioned "a story of love," EvB.  I believe the largest majority of my posts are crafted with such ephemeral whirling and scratching care.  I love what I do and I t(h)rust it shows.

Never let it be said I have no mercy, for I've attached an Holy Vessel for your examination and positioned it below. Just for you.  ~Get~ the picture?  It ties into everything, including the discussion on this board, the discussion at the Bat Lodge, and the price per barrel of spice... er... oil mentioned this morning on CNN, and the Messianic Complex of which I have hinted afflicts my own imbrications. Oh, deer me.

Worlds, EvB.  Worlds.  A picture is worth a thousand worlds? and provides a richer perspective as to what type of godhead rider (and graphic artist) I be. 

The only thing missing is a picture of ~THE ORANGE CATHOLIC BIBLE~. 

To see it enlarged for details, click on the file name: saintfrankbottle.jpg.

That's me standing on the rather portcullisian "M." 

?Also included as an homage to Wilson Brian Key's Subliminal Seduction are not so subliminal effigies for money, death, & sex.

Observe how I am inserting IAN in odd places, creating at times questionable yet accurate words:

Portcullis + IAN
Golgotha + IAN
Damolces + IAN
Ambrosia + IAN

I wonder if that rotund son of a bitch is taking note of my efforts?

(laughing gently)

*******THE SPICE!!!!!******

One question frere camazotz..... Fremen or Sardaukar? Personally, when D&G approaches, I head to Sietch Sinatra. You've never had a Martini till you've tried one made with the Water of Life w/ a stick of melange.

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on May 21, 2008, 11:13:11 PM
*******THE SPICE!!!!!******

One question frere camazotz..... Fremen or Sardaukar? Personally, when D&G approaches, I head to Sietch Sinatra. You've never had a Martini till you've tried one made with the Water of Life w/ a stick of melange.

(Sietch Sinatra? Yet another ~Frank~ is added to the mix)

I AM the Kwisatz Haderach (sip)

and I WILL face the Gom Jabbar. (sip sip)

and when I stick my hand in the pain induction box while "under the needle," I will have a remote viewing moment of Don Coscarelli's 1979 Phantasm and young Mike facing a very Bene Gesseritesque fortune teller and the words Fear is the Killer as he sticks his hand in a box...

(I wonder if Herbert got upset over THAT?  I would have... God Bless Don Coscarelli and his visions, but that seemed a little too coincidental.  In Dune, the phrase was "Fear is the mind killer," but in Phantasm, it was "Fear is the killer." And Phantasm, like Dune, featured a box in which to place your hand as a test of will over pain and fear.  I don't recall any fallout from Herbert's camp over Phantasm.  Yet, when  Iron Maiden ASKED to use the word Dune as a song title, Herbert threatened to sue them and freeze the album's release! Take that, you bloody English Heavy Metal sandwyrms, I'll have none of that!)

~Who could have known when I referenced Habitrails in another posting I was making a sly reference to an incarcerated Muad'Dib?~

I wyrk on many levels.  My ways are from another place.  I was sent here to ... to ...  Never mind.

Right now, I'm working on another drink, though this EvB believes I partake of some caterpillar operated hookah as I sit on a mushroom!

Queen

ok i'll throw my 2 cents in. LOL this should be fun.

i personaly believe the bible is 100% accuret even tho my spelling isn't.

The biggest problem i see with anyone who is non believeing or is new to the word is the missleading of the bible.  What do i mean by that.  What I mean is people first off call it a religion. That is wrong. The bible teaches u to to have a personal relationship with God himself. The bible does not teach u to go to a church where pedifile priest hang out and let ur children get raped.

This is probably new to many people but try this out for urself, Look at life as God would look at it.  The body is just dirt and dust. The person lives on. So when a child dies it kills us cos we look at a child as that's it there is no more. It doesnt have to be a child it can be a really nice person down the road that u new for 40 years.  The way we look at life is different then the way God looks at it. He understands our point of view but it's wrong. God tells us to worship him forget the past forgive.  Theres reasons for that.

Someone in this post said something about how the bible gets translated and changed and all that u can look at it in 2 ways, they change it cos they want it to fit there needs or u can look at it as they are changing it for there needs because it is the truth and they dont like what it says.  Im gay, I hate it.  I dont practice it.  Does the bible tell us Gay is ok, no it doesn't. If a church u attend accpets it as it's ok.  Im sorry it's not ok.  I have to live with that and fight with it life goes on.  All i can do is hope when this body is done i'll be free of anything God doesn't want.  And if u look at everything God doesn't want and apply it to urslef u'd see how much God is right with what he doesn't want cos he knows you dont want it.

Conspieracy about the bible, the conspeirocy is that people believe what a preacher says because he claims to be a preacher.  The bible tells u to put ur trust and faith in God not some preacher.  If a church has a huge building with stain glass windows they obviously dont get what God wants.  I dont beleve that god would want us to go out and get a ton of money so u can stick a huge cross on top of a building when u can be giving that money to the sick and dying for cures. if u think im wrong re read the bible. And please show me where it says buy a steaple not save a life

People create what they want to create from the bible to suit them if u let the bible interpret its self u'll understand it better.  King James is referd to a lot because we speek english in america and in the UK.  Lots of peple will complain about that.  You can go online and print off a HUUUUUGE list of supposed contriditions in the bible, but guess what, u can also go online and find out why all of those "contridictions" are not contridictions.

The greastest one of all is when someone says adam and eve had cain and able but cain got his wife from another city.  First off The bible never says cain and able were the first 2 children adam and eve had.  People assume that cos there the 3rd and 4th name mentioned apart from God.  Inscest in the beginning would have been compleatly fine because of this alone. God created a perfect world there wasn't diesase in the beginning or genetic problems the world was perfect.  After Moses did it become bad for inscest why? cos God didnt want u to have sex with ur sister??? is that what ur saying??? no because he knew about genetics.  Why people make the bible more difficult then it is is beyond me.  Common sence. 

I dont know everything, and i dont pretend to.  But a little common sence never hurt anyone.

By the way for the person who thinks the bible oppresses people ur half right. If ur against the bible cos it says not to kill then i suggest u go kill a neighbor and see how u feel the next day.  Thats just lame.  The bible gives u rules to follow man screws up everything changes everything and then blames god for it LOL.

Tahts about all i had to say.  Take away what u wish out of it.

EvB

Quote from: NIN on June 02, 2008, 05:07:01 AM
ok i'll throw my 2 cents in. LOL this should be fun.

i personaly believe the bible is 100% accuret even tho my spelling isn't.

The biggest problem i see with anyone who is non believeing or is new to the word is the missleading of the bible.  What do i mean by that.

People create what they want to create from the bible to suit them if u let the bible interpret its self u'll understand it better.  King James is referd to a lot because we speek english in america and in the UK.  Lots of peple will complain about that.  You can go online and print off a HUUUUUGE list of supposed contriditions in the bible, but guess what, u can also go online and find out why all of those "contridictions" are not contridictions.

Common sence. 

I dont know everything, and I don't pretend to.  But a little common sense never hurt anyone.

Tahts about all i had to say.  Take away what u wish out of it.

Nin,

I'd call "Douch" on your post except it just seems all too painful.  Have you actually READ the bible?   The contradictions are staggering.  Trying to explain the whys and hows of them NOT being  . . . that's a load of codswallop indulged in by people who have way too much time on their hands and too little to really think about. And BTW -- if you really mean 100% - I sure hope that shirt you have on isn't made of any kind of fabric blend.

Just for giggles - ask your local library for a book called The Year of Living Biblically of at least take a look here:  http://www.ajjacobs.com/books/yolb.asp

On the topic of your sexuality - well - one may choose celibacy for any number of reasons, but I do sincerely hope you don't mean you hate yourself. I think of homosexuality as a normal variant, but that's me and I've never had to live with that as part of my identity.

Be well - post more.

BTW - I trimmed the quote for space reasons - not to highlight or dismiss any particular part.

EvB

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on May 22, 2008, 01:41:31 AM
I AM the Kwisatz Haderach (sip)

and I WILL face the Gom Jabbar. (sip sip)

and when I stick my hand in the pain induction box while "under the needle," I will have a remote viewing moment of Don Coscarelli's 1979 Phantasm and young Mike facing a very Bene Gesseritesque fortune teller and the words Fear is the Killer as he sticks his hand in a box...

~Who could have known when I referenced Habitrails in another posting I was making a sly reference to an incarcerated Muad'Dib?~

I wyrk on many levels.  My ways are from another place.  I was sent here to ... to ...  Never mind.

Right now, I'm working on another drink, though this EvB believes I partake of some caterpillar operated hookah as I sit on a mushroom!

I should have told you weeks ago how brilliant that picture is - and how much I enjoyed your post.  At the time - a person who had a tiny part of my future in her hands was insisting on many many pages on the topic of "Satan as a hero in Milton's Paradise Lost - Yes or No?"  I've no idea what she thought of the paper itself, but it couldn't have been too bad since I got a B+ in the course.

Thanks for the grins.

MV/Liberace!

i always love watching how the posts in each topic manipulate the google advertisements.  now we have ads for christian singles.  anybody interested?  click below.  i guess.  never mind.

EvB

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on June 02, 2008, 09:36:11 PM
i always love watching how the posts in each topic manipulate the google advertisements.  now we have ads for christian singles.  anybody interested?  click below.  i guess.  never mind.

Like I said "People choose celibacy for any number of reasons"

Queen

Quote from: EvB on June 02, 2008, 08:50:35 PM

The contradictions are staggering.  Trying to explain the whys and hows of them NOT being  . . . that's a load of codswallop

Thats a very intersting point of view do u have the same view on all things or just the bible in particular?

Cos what your saying is if there is an explination to why someone or something isnt wrong u dont want to hear it.  If im ever before a jury i wouldn't want u in the court room.

People always label christians as being closed minded, fact is fact, everyone is to a degree.

EvB

Quote from: NIN on June 03, 2008, 01:02:02 AM
Thats a very intersting point of view do u have the same view on all things or just the bible in particular?

Cos what your saying is if there is an explination to why someone or something isnt wrong u dont want to hear it.  If im ever before a jury i wouldn't want u in the court room.

People always label christians as being closed minded, fact is fact, everyone is to a degree.

Nin,

I assume you mean you wouldn't want me on the jury - since most other roles in the courtroom would require me to keep my mouth shut and my opinion to myself being neither a lawyer, judge, nor qualified as an expert witness of any kind.  I think you'd find - if you were guilty anyway - you'd want me on the jury very much.  I can come down on both sides of a fence so fast I have a picket permanently stuck up my ---- never mind. You'd be off on some some technicality or free due to a hopelessly hung jury.

You may have missed the post in which I said I AM a Christian. I'm simply not a biblical literalist.

As for getting into specifics - what Phan said.

Be Well

MV/Liberace!

this is a bit off topic, but a bit on topic simultaneously.  i heard on the radio the other day that the pope, as a matter of tradition, is the legal owner of the shroud of turin.  i immediately thought, wouldn't it be funny if just by some twist of fate there were a "wacky" pope who decided to trade the shroud on craig's list for a wii?  just one of those random thoughts i have daily but rarely share.

Queen

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on June 03, 2008, 09:21:23 PM
this is a bit off topic, but a bit on topic simultaneously.  i heard on the radio the other day that the pope, as a matter of tradition, is the legal owner of the shroud of turin. 

The pope is a fraud,  they call him the "holy" father sorry God is the holy father not the pope and to clame that is blasphemy.   The shroud is a rag, there were 2 peaces that wraped Jesus's body up one for his body one for his face.  Both were found neatly folded and clean when they entered his tomb and saw he was gone.

The pope can ware that shroud as a loin cloth for all i care LOL.

By the way,  Why does everyone paint a portait of Jesus with Long hair??  The bible says it's shamefrull for a man to have Long Hair. 

EvB

Quote from: NIN on June 08, 2008, 10:15:47 AM

By the way,  Why does everyone paint a portait of Jesus with Long hair??  The bible says it's shamefrull for a man to have Long Hair. 

I guess you'd have to define "long."   Very short-cropped hair was a Roman affectation, from the military (you don't want anyone grabbing your hair during hand-to-hand combat) but just to the shoulders or so?  I don't think that was considered "long" - though many pictures do show it longer.  The Romans were the oppressors.  It wouldn't do to imitate them. 

This is all pure conjecture on my part.

Max

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on June 03, 2008, 01:19:50 AM

tasty little critters, over gravy even...

but seriously no one can prove there was a God or otherwise...

the bible to me is just a story book, while who knows if its all true, or the ravings of a man on opiates.

but I think in the end it dont matter because your ass gets eaten by bugs and you become part of the ground.

unless you decide to be cooked to ashes...

The God of the bible to me is a figment of someones wild imagination..

hell what books are locked up at the Vatican that no one will ever see...

power and control I say.. its giving up your power to do things in life, and make changes, in your own life, you can pray to god to do this and that, but its up to yourself to take action... your god will not do that for you..

and the father, the song, and the holy spigot says your all going to hell... because its the easy road...lol

EvB

And there goes our dear MAX - just messing with tem thar worms for all he's worth.

ROTFLM@O!

Max

can you prove to me God exists or does not exist?

and why is it there are many Gods talked about in the bible... a nice god, a mean god, a mad god, a threatening God, and so on and so on..

unless this "GOD" of ours has MPD or something... hell the entire old testament he is all fire and brimstone, and new testament a nice God?

same god or different one?

and besides, I believe the new testament is written accounts of events, as it were according to someones views.. and we take them for gospel.

thats like saying that man or woman that made it out just before the buildings fell on 9/11 is the best view of 9/11.... lets only write their account of the event and everything else be damned..

we do know that the bible is a book of many stories of happenings of events. and another thing, was the original scrolls in the bible marked chapter and verse? if they weren't, then who's idea was that, and did that action have on the context of the texts that were written.

I honestly don't think that the bible is as it was and how it originally was written. I believe that it has been deliberately edited and changed by those that could do so for their own masochistic purposes.

Is there a copy of the bibles around before king james got his hands on it somewhere??? and if so where in the blue hell is it???

we use the king james version as the OFFICAL bible... as dictated by someone with power and authority to edit and dictate the words used and so forth.

I'm sure there has to be a latin version of the bible pre king james... 

the original translations are even screwed because the people that translated them did not have a complete knowledge of the languages and just picked a word that sounded good in its place.

so... what is in the bible that has not been translated properly... and has lost its proper meaning???