• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The BellGab Classic Movie Playhouse

Started by GravitySucks, June 11, 2016, 05:28:45 PM

I_Speculate

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 17, 2016, 11:15:41 PM
Nice sites.  I see that most of them have silent movies too.  Rarefilmm looks particularly good.

Glad you found something you like(d).

Quote from: I_Speculate on June 17, 2016, 11:17:04 PM
Glad you found something you like(d).

Yes indeed.  Now I just have to hook up my tv to some of these sites.  Thank you so much, I_Speculate. :D :D :D

albrecht

Quote from: akwilly on June 17, 2016, 10:58:17 PM
Weird you would mention that. I watched about 3 minutes of Andy Griffith show today and thought the exact same thing.
Ive noticed it before but years ago and then just now reminded me (went with Itsover antenna idea and love it.) No not much about film tech but the effect is actually cool. Why? How?

I_Speculate

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 17, 2016, 11:22:11 PM
Yes indeed.  Now I just have to hook up my tv to some of these sites.  Thank you so much, I_Speculate. :D :D :D

Are you running them via your TV through the pc or a dedicated 'box'?

I've been thinking about setting up a 'media center' using a rasp pi 3.

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 17, 2016, 01:02:57 AM
I've loved Toshiro Mifune since I was a kid.  I only saw the American films he made though.  Hell In The Pacific and Midway come to mind.  I do have many Kurosawa films but I hate to watch them as soon as I get them because I want to have something to look forward to.   I have Rashomon and Seven Samurai but haven't watched them yet.

Those are some of the few films I rebought in Blu Ray. I think they were released by Criterion in the States and they. are. reference. grade. Even if you don't particularly care for samurai flicks they are just cinema.

By chance have you scene or heard of High and Low ? Not one of his better known films, I think, made in 1963, but good if you're a buff. My favorite of films next to Hidden Fortress.

Kurosawa made a bunch of pro communist films as well-but we don't hear about those very often.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on June 18, 2016, 02:17:18 AM
Kurosawa made a bunch of pro communist films as well-but we don't hear about those very often.

Like?  ???

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on June 18, 2016, 02:18:39 AM
See what I mean

First I've heard of it, but I've yet to see a major jazz musician or cinema guru who didn't have a little commie blood in him/her. Kurosawa can be forgiven (if it's true) because he doesn't let that crap through in his movies. Or maybe some lulzy college movie major can point out all the tenuous connection, but I can't just watching them.

Quote from: BelgianCarbonFibre on June 18, 2016, 02:40:19 AM
First I've heard of it, but I've yet to see a major jazz musician or cinema guru who didn't have a little commie blood in him/her. Kurosawa can be forgiven (if it's true) because he doesn't let that crap through in his movies. Or maybe some lulzy college movie major can point out all the tenuous connection, but I can't just watching them.
He was remaking/adapting Russian directors into his movies. He loved Russian (including communist USSR) culture.

Quote from: BelgianCarbonFibre on June 18, 2016, 02:02:54 AM
Those are some of the few films I rebought in Blu Ray. I think they were released by Criterion in the States and they. are. reference. grade. Even if you don't particularly care for samurai flicks they are just cinema.

By chance have you scene or heard of High and Low ? Not one of his better known films, I think, made in 1963, but good if you're a buff. My favorite of films next to Hidden Fortress.

Yes.  I've seen that one and have it on Criterion blu-ray.  It is not a samurai film but a crime drama set in contemporary Japan.  Somewhat similar to the movie, Ransom, made in '56 and '96 but superior to those.  Excellent film.

I've yet to see many of his films but have most of the big ones.  Actually some smaller ones too.  18 in all, I think.  I've only watched 3 at this point but I've loved every one.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on June 18, 2016, 02:52:28 AM
He was remaking/adapting Russian directors into his movies. He loved Russian (including communist USSR) culture.

I tired to watch Solaris (the original) once and fell asleep half way through it. I still couldn't really tell you what it was about other than it was some sort of space mystery.

Rix Gins

Viewer alert!  Macao, (1952) starring Robert Mitchum, Jane Russell, and William Bendix will be on TCM this Tuesday, June 21 at 11:30 am, Eastern time.  Yeah, kind of early, so if you've got TiVo or whatever, I would suggest setting it up so that you can watch this gem later on.  Robert is cool and Jane is hot...how's that for a quickie review?  As a bonus, one of my favorite heavies is in this flick, Brad Dexter.  Watch him close when he talks to someone.  He looks at the forehead and not at the eyes. 

Director Josef von Sternberg started Macao but was replaced by Nicholas Ray.  Why, you might ask?  Von Sternberg was a tyrant on the set and any eating and drinking was forbidden by both cast and crew.  Robert Mitchum would have none of it and he appeared on the set one day with a big picnic basket of delicacies and bottles of vodka.  When Von Sternberg caught wind of it, he stormed onto the set and caught everybody eating and drinking.  He angrily pointed at Mitchum and said something like, "So!  You vant to be replaced?"  To which Mitchum replied, "You're the one that's going to be replaced."  And he was.  (On stage joke at that time...Question: "Where's Macao?"  Answer: "Out behind ma barn.")   

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 18, 2016, 03:57:21 PM
I tired to watch Solaris (the original) once and fell asleep half way through it. I still couldn't really tell you what it was about other than it was some sort of space mystery.

It's a very strange movie.  Has a weird hypnotic quality.  It's one of those movies I like but I can't really argue the case. 

Hey gang, I have an idea. If everybody here is up to it, perhaps we could designate one film for a viewing each week and come back here at some agreed to time and discuss the film. Might be fun to see everyone`s impression of certain films. How, and what, we watch, is up to discussion. I`m just a big ideas guy.

Quote from: I_Speculate on June 17, 2016, 11:52:16 PM
Are you running them via your TV through the pc or a dedicated 'box'?

I've been thinking about setting up a 'media center' using a rasp pi 3.

Roku will work, won't it?

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 19, 2016, 05:22:50 PM
Viewer alert!  Macao, (1952) starring Robert Mitchum, Jane Russell, and William Bendix will be on TCM this Tuesday, June 21 at 11:30 am, Eastern time.  Yeah, kind of early, so if you've got TiVo or whatever, I would suggest setting it up so that you can watch this gem later on.  Robert is cool and Jane is hot...how's that for a quickie review?  As a bonus, one of my favorite heavies is in this flick, Brad Dexter.  Watch him close when he talks to someone.  He looks at the forehead and not at the eyes. 

Director Josef von Sternberg started Macao but was replaced by Nicholas Ray.  Why, you might ask?  Von Sternberg was a tyrant on the set and any eating and drinking was forbidden by both cast and crew.  Robert Mitchum would have none of it and he appeared on the set one day with a big picnic basket of delicacies and bottles of vodka.  When Von Sternberg caught wind of it, he stormed onto the set and caught everybody eating and drinking.  He angrily pointed at Mitchum and said something like, "So!  You vant to be replaced?"  To which Mitchum replied, "You're the one that's going to be replaced."  And he was.  (On stage joke at that time...Question: "Where's Macao?"  Answer: "Out behind ma barn.")   

Good ol' Joe Stern and his highfalutin attitude.  In reality, born Jonas Sternberg in Austria/Hungary and raised in a blue-collar Jewish household in New York City where he was known simply as Joe Stern.  He was a cinematic genius though and his first films right out of the gate are masterpieces.  Then he discovered Dietrich and they made a formidable team.  Unfortunately, after the pre-code period, work was harder to find due to his pomposity and temper.  Macao would be his last Hollywood film though Jet Pilot was released last in 1957.  That was actually filmed in '49-'50.

Quote from: FightTheFuture on June 20, 2016, 08:53:02 AM
Hey gang, I have an idea. If everybody here is up to it, perhaps we could designate one film for a viewing each week and come back here at some agreed to time and discuss the film. Might be fun to see everyone`s impression of certain films. How, and what, we watch, is up to discussion. I`m just a big ideas guy.

That would be cool.  I'm game.

Uncle Duke

Anybody else here who listened to "Mr Movie", Steve Friedman, on WCAU/WPHT out of Philadelphia?  For years before his death a few years back, he did an all night (Sat/Sun) show dedicated strictly to movies.  He was a great talk show host with an encyclopedic knowledge of all things movies. 

Quote from: Uncle Duke on June 20, 2016, 03:13:20 PM
Anybody else here who listened to "Mr Movie", Steve Friedman, on WCAU/WPHT out of Philadelphia?  For years before his death a few years back, he did an all night (Sat/Sun) show dedicated strictly to movies.  He was a great talk show host with an encyclopedic knowledge of all things movies.

I wish I could have caught him. That sounds like my kind of show. I really love when the old actors weave their tales of how things used to be and give us a look behind the scenes. For instance, I recall an interview with Bob Mitchum when he was asked how it was working with "the Duke" on the set of El Dorado (one of my all-time fav flicks). Well, Mitchum said he sometimes had to wait on Duke to get his "hair glued on" and it kind of annoyed him (LOL).

Quote from: Uncle Duke on June 20, 2016, 03:13:20 PM

Yes, I loved his show. I lived in Philly between '85 and '92 and I always tuned him in.  I knew he had been ill but I'm sorry to hear that he has died.  A really sweet guy and it was a pleasure to meet him during the several film events I went to that he sponsored. 

RIP, Steve.  Love ya, buddy.

TigerLily

I just stole this from starrmtn001 but thought it would be nice here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1F0lBnsnkE

ItsOver

Man, does this sound like a suck-fest.  It appears to be an attempt to capture everything wrong with today's so-called movies.

http://variety.com/2016/film/reviews/independence-day-resurgence-review-1201800114/

"Its rather scattered screenplay â€" written by five hands, where the 1996 film managed with two â€" forges a dense network of callbacks to established events and characters, in certain cases via next-generation newbies. The previous film’s hero, Will Smith’s fighter pilot Steven Hiller, has passed on in vague circumstances, succeeded by his strapping son Dylan (Jessie T. Usher); also following a noble military path is former first daughter Patricia Whitmore (Maika Monroe, replacing Mae Whitman), whose dad (a silver-bearded Bill Pullman) is addled by trauma from the attack of 1996 â€" since which time, steely new U.S. president Lanford (Sela Ward) dubiously informs us, “We have had no armed conflict.” “Resurgence” may notionally be set on planet Earth, but it plainly takes place in a parallel universe."

At least it doesn't include Will Smith. 

Are there any services that stream Turner Classic Movies? I haven't had television television in probably ten years but I'm wondering if I could get the live channel through Sling or a different streaming service?

ItsOver

Quote from: VoteQuimby on June 23, 2016, 09:02:09 AM
Are there any services that stream Turner Classic Movies? I haven't had television television in probably ten years but I'm wondering if I could get the live channel through Sling or a different streaming service?
Good question.  I'd like to get TCM but don't want to subscribe to a cable/satellite service that also charges for hundreds of channels of additional suckage.

zeebo

Quote from: ItsOver on June 23, 2016, 09:51:09 AM
Good question.  I'd like to get TCM but don't want to subscribe to a cable/satellite service that also charges for hundreds of channels of additional suckage.

I used to have the premium suckage bundle, now I just have standard suckage.

Quote from: ItsOver on June 23, 2016, 09:51:09 AM

They are moving in that direction.  I suspect it is going to happen in a year or so.

TigerLily

Quote from: 21st Century Man on Today at 04:39:58 AM
Yeah, me too.  I love German Expressionism and well Murnau and Lang are 2 of the greatest directors of all time. Other notables are Robert Wiene, Paul Leni, Joe May and GW Pabst.  I don't know if antisemitism was much of a factor in the work of these directors.  It would make for an interesting thesis to research though.

The name of the movie escapes me right now but did you see the movie with Willem Defoe and John Malkovich about the making of Nosferatu?  A Classic about a Classic

akwilly

Quote from: TigerLily on June 24, 2016, 03:58:51 AM
Quote from: 21st Century Man on Today at 04:39:58 AM
Yeah, me too.  I love German Expressionism and well Murnau and Lang are 2 of the greatest directors of all time. Other notables are Robert Wiene, Paul Leni, Joe May and GW Pabst.  I don't know if antisemitism was much of a factor in the work of these directors.  It would make for an interesting thesis to research though.

The name of the movie escapes me right now but did you see the movie with Willem Defoe and John Malkovich about the making of Nosferatu?  A Classic about a Classic
shadow of the vampire

TigerLily

Quote from: akwilly on June 24, 2016, 04:02:29 AM
shadow of the vampire

Yes! I've seen it a few times but my brain is sleep deprived and I couldn't come up with the title. Thanks Willy.