• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The BellGab Classic Movie Playhouse

Started by GravitySucks, June 11, 2016, 05:28:45 PM

Quote from: TigerLily on June 16, 2016, 11:42:25 AM
He's one of those actors that immerse in the role so much, he disappears. Not too many others have that capacity.  Paul Muni, Meryl Streep, Daniel Day-Lewis

I watch this movie almost every year around Halloween

It is an opulent version of Dracula and I love it too except for one thing.  That godawful hairstyle that Oldman sports as Old Dracula.  I wonder what Coppola was thinking when he decided to do that.  Monica Bellucci as one of the Vampire Brides was so damn hot.

Quote from: TigerLily on June 16, 2016, 12:26:34 PM
Well, it does say "Classic" in the title, so... define classic as you wish, I guess. My vote anyway

I tend to agree.  My definition of classic movies is rather broad for pre-1970 films and rather narrow afterwards.  We each have our own tastes.  Just please don't start talking about the merits of Howard the Duck.  I also want to add cult movies into the mix. Sometimes they aren't very good but they are always fun to talk about.

Rix Gins

The original (definitely not the Americanized, Raymond Burr version) 1954 Godzilla.  It's a classic in my eyes, along with so many other 1950's sci-fi movies.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on June 16, 2016, 02:48:48 PM
I remember liking that a long time ago, will have to watch again.  I'd have to pick Ran (1985) as my fave from Japan.  Totally heavy, but amazing cinematography and storytelling.  I don't want to derail this into an anime thread, but would have to add at least one Miyazaki movie - and for me it would be Spirited Away (2001).

I wasn't thinking about anime but if we're going there my favorite Miyazaki movies are Kiki's Delivery Service, Ponyo and The Wind Rises. I'd also include Arika as a must-see classic too.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 16, 2016, 03:37:20 PM
The original (definitely not the Americanized, Raymond Burr version) 1954 Godzilla.  It's a classic in my eyes, along with so many other 1950's sci-fi movies.

I'll always have a nostalgic soft spot for even the uber cheesy Godzilla movies of my youth. Which is why I'll never understand the problem most seemed to have with Pacific Rim. I mean, come on! Wasn't that the best Godzilla movie ever?!  :D

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: FightTheFuture on June 16, 2016, 10:14:45 AM
Speaking of criminally underrated actors. Gary Oldman. ZERO Oscars. Need I say more?

Absofuckinglutley! He's one of the best maniacs ever but he's so good that I'll forget that's him playing Commissioner Jim Gordon in the Batman movies.  :D

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 16, 2016, 04:53:10 PM
I wasn't thinking about anime but if we're going there my favorite Miyazaki movies are Kiki's Delivery Service, Ponyo and The Wind Rises. I'd also include Arika as a must-see classic too.

You've somehow mentioned one I'm not familiar with "The Wind Rises" - will check that out.  I'd also give a nod to "Laputa: Castle in the Sky".   

I think you meant to say "Akira" (1988)  there, which is pretty amazing and influential.  I must also then give mention to "Ghost in the Shell" (1995).

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 16, 2016, 05:00:45 PM
Absofuckinglutley! He's one of the best maniacs ever but he's so good that I'll forget that's him playing Commissioner Jim Gordon in the Batman movies.  :D

I still remember him in True Romance (1993) even though I haven't seen that flick in probably 20 years.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 16, 2016, 02:50:13 PM
I've only watched it once or twice and it has been a long time.  I think it does capture the essence of I Am Legend better than any subsequent film though I am fond of The Omega Man.  That one gave me nightmares as a kid.  I dreamed Anthony Zerbe was peering through my bedroom window wanting to turn me into one of them.

Another childhood classic for me. The original Planet of the Apes and Soylent Green too! Chuck Heston was my go to guy when it came to dystopian/post-apocalyptic movies.  ;)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on June 16, 2016, 05:01:40 PM
You've somehow mentioned one I'm not familiar with "The Wind Rises" - will check that out.  I'd also give a nod to "Laputa: Castle in the Sky".   

I think you meant to say "Akira" (1988)  there, which is pretty amazing and influential.  I must also then give mention to "Ghost in the Shell" (1995).

Temporary bout of dyslexia.  ;)

albrecht

There are some groups down here that occasionally orchestrate and show silent films in our classic theater. Sometimes it is the orchestra, organists, or even more electronic, usually though commonly watched ones (Nosferatu at Halloween, etc.)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 16, 2016, 03:21:59 PM
I tend to agree.  My definition of classic movies is rather broad for pre-1970 films and rather narrow afterwards.  We each have our own tastes.  Just please don't start talking about the merits of Howard the Duck.  I also want to add cult movies into the mix. Sometimes they aren't very good but they are always fun to talk about.

So, no serious discussion of Plan 9 From Outer Space then?!  ???

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 16, 2016, 05:06:45 PM
Another childhood classic for me. The original Planet of the Apes and Soylent Green too! Chuck Heston was my go to guy when it came to dystopian/post-apocalyptic movies.  ;)

I think were brothers from another mother. :D  Love Chuck Heston flicks particularly those and his other classics from the 50's and 60's.

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 16, 2016, 05:20:49 PM

No, Plan 9 is allowed.  It's a cult classic.  lol.

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 16, 2016, 03:37:20 PM

I started to watch the original Godzilla one night and for some reason I was pulled away.  I had only seen the Burr version and that was so schlocky.  I was enthralled with the original however.  Nice suspense and not cheesy at all.  I have it on Criterion so I'll try watching it again soon.

Which brings to mind, the cheesy update to the Burr version, Godzilla 1985.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHiPuGzmQD0

A mini-review.  Sidney Lumet's 2nd film with Sean Connery, The Offence (1972).  Connery's best performance, IMHO.  He goes through the gamut of emotions playing a troubled cop who goes too far when a suspect for child rapes/kidnappings is killed.  It is more of a character study of Connery's character.  Two things that are never resolved is if the suspect was the actual rapist and what the resolution of Connery's actions is.  Trevor Howard and Ian Bannen provide great support.  It is a flawed film but interesting.  A solid 3.5 out of 5.

I wouldn't necessarily call it a classic film but it is a classic performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZT-x_dp4jo

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 16, 2016, 05:44:59 PM
A mini-review.  Sidney Lumet's 2nd film with Sean Connery, The Offence (1972).  Connery's best performance, IMHO.  He goes through the gamut of emotions playing a troubled cop who goes too far when a suspect for child rapes/kidnappings is killed.  It is more of a character study of Connery's character.  Two things that are never resolved is if the suspect was the actual rapist and what the resolution of Connery's actions is.  Trevor Howard and Ian Bannen provide great support.  It is a flawed film but interesting.  A solid 3.5 out of 5.

I wouldn't necessarily call it a classic film but it is a classic performance.

OK, you just sparked a memory from that. The Man Who Would Be King is what I would call a hidden gem because many often aren't aware of it. Michael Caine is the perfect costar for Connery in this tale of high adventure. It's a timeless classic in the truest sense of the term:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucKHRfso7nw

ItsOver

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 16, 2016, 05:20:49 PM
On BG, never ask for permission and certainly never forgiveness. ;) Let the "Invasion of the Saucer-Men" begin!

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 16, 2016, 06:21:52 PM
OK, you just sparked a memory from that. The Man Who Would Be King is what I would call a hidden gem because many often aren't aware of it. Michael Caine is the perfect costar for Connery in this tale of high adventure. It's a timeless classic in the truest sense of the term:

I'm a bit surprised it is not more well known. I really like this movie; very well casted and a great adaption of the story. What a great adventure film and story, always an interesting theme/idea, in some cases sort of happened in real life in some places (usually to bad results.)

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 16, 2016, 06:21:52 PM

In many ways it was a throwback to films like Treasure Of The Sierra Madre.  It is for certain my favorite film of Huston's from the last half of his career and up there as one of my favorites from both Caine and Connery.   Perfect chemistry and they were wonderful together.  Too bad they didn't try to make another movie together.  5 star movie.

Caine's wife, Shakira, with Connery in The Man Who Would Be King.

Quote from: TigerLily on June 16, 2016, 08:35:37 AM
Here's an "oldie" for you. My favorite gangster movie. 1932 "Scarface"

It's a tense, fast paced pre-code movie that puts the bloated 1980s re-make to shame.  Paul Muni is a powerhouse as the barely civilized Tony Camonte. Iconic coin-flipping gangster George Raft. Ann Dvorak, Karen Morrow and even Boris Karloff

That's my favorite film of all time. It's the most stylized and violent film of the golden age of gangster pics. It's insane watching it today to see how much violence and suggestion there was in it. One fun fact about the film. It was the first film in history to have product placement as I believe White Owl Cigars paid $150,000 to be able to advertise that Tony Camonte was smoking White Owl cigars in the movie.

I've always thought Raft was a mediocre overrated actor but this is the film that made him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGvbu2UMHeY

TigerLily

Quote from: VoteQuimby on June 16, 2016, 11:46:08 PM
That's my favorite film of all time. It's the most stylized and violent film of the golden age of gangster pics. It's insane watching it today to see how much violence and suggestion there was in it. One fun fact about the film. It was the first film in history to have product placement as I believe White Owl Cigars paid $150,000 to be able to advertise that Tony Camonte was smoking White Owl cigars in the movie.

I've always thought Raft was a mediocre overrated actor but this is the film that made him.

Yep. He was very good in Scarface but otherwise pretty wooden.  In They Drive by Night I couldn't see why, I think it's Ann Sheridan and Ida Lupino, are fighting over Raft when Bogey was right there

Cool little tidbit about the cigars. Thanks. I love those little inside things

Quote from: TigerLily on June 17, 2016, 12:20:08 AM
Yep. He was very good in Scarface but otherwise pretty wooden.  In They Drive by Night I couldn't see why, I think it's Ann Sheridan and Ida Lupino, are fighting over Raft when Bogey was right there

I like that movie, perfect Warner Bros. cookie cutter and it was immediately before Bogie exploded. You're absolutely right! You have super wooden Raft playing the lead while arguably one of the best actors of the 20th century is eating him up in every scene as the support.

I love Lupino, I think a case could be made she was the top actress of that era because she always played such complex dark characters. She was a pretty great director too. I remember watching one of her films she directed about a fugitive terrorizing a family that was like goddamn... this is super visionary for the 50s. She was an iconoclast of her time and under appreciated.

Here's the film I'm talking about, it's still up on Youtube!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIeFKTbg3Aw

Quote from: TigerLily on June 17, 2016, 12:20:08 AM

If you ever get a chance, watch Josef von Sternberg aka Joe Stern's classic, Underworld (1927)  with George Bancroft and Evelyn Brent.  Beautifully filmed and very gritty.  Scarface reminds me of it.

It is on youtube but you really need to watch it on a tv to capture the artistry of the film.  I guess you could use Roku or a smart tv to play it.  I have it on a Criterion Josef von Sternberg set with Docks Of New York and The Last Command.  The first of this style of gangster flick but Raoul Walsh's Regeneration from 1916 is also excellent.

TigerLily

Up above there was some posting about Japanese films. So many good ones but I have to go with my favorite Samurai movie, Ran.  I've seen it a few times but after I read the historical novels Musashi and Taiko I enjoyed them even more. Taiko is a fuller telling of the events going on during Ran

Can't go by without mentioning Yojimbo.  A Fistful of Dollars is a remake if it. I also really enjoyed the follow-up, Sanjuro. Both starring Toshiro Mifune and directed by Akira Kurosawa.  Legends, both

TigerLily

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 17, 2016, 12:30:32 AM
If you ever get a chance, watch Josef von Sternberg aka Joe Stern's classic, Underworld (1927)  with George Bancroft and Evelyn Brent.  Beautifully filmed and very gritty.  Scarface reminds me of it.

It is on youtube but you really need to watch it on a tv to capture the artistry of the film.  I guess you could use Roku or a smart tv to play it.  I have it on a Criterion Josef von Sternberg set with Docks Of New York and The Last Command.  The first of this style of gangster flick but Raoul Walsh's Regeneration from 1916 is also excellent.

Another film I've never heard of. You are encyclopedic, 21. Thank you

This thread is really turning into something special.  Thanks so much, everyone. I hope you all are enjoying it as much as I am

Quote from: TigerLily on June 17, 2016, 12:41:07 AM
Up above there was some posting about Japanese films. So many good ones but I have to go with my favorite Samurai movie, Ran.  I've seen it a few times but after I read the historical novels Musashi and Taiko I enjoyed them even more. Taiko is a fuller telling of the events going on during Ran

Can't go by without mentioning Yojimbo.  A Fistful of Dollars is a remake if it. I also really enjoyed the follow-up, Sanjuro. Both starring Toshiro Mifune and directed by Akira Kurosawa.  Legends, both

Ran was the first Kurosawa movie that I ever saw way back in the 80's on pay tv.  A lot like Shakespeare's King Lear.  Wonderful film.  I've only seen Throne of Blood and High and Low but am looking forward to other Kurosawa films.

Quote from: TigerLily on June 17, 2016, 12:46:56 AM
Another film I've never heard of. You are encyclopedic, 21. Thank you

This thread is really turning into something special.  Thanks so much, everyone. I hope you all are enjoying it as much as I am

Your welcome. I am enjoying it as well.  Movies are my first love that is besides my wife though she would probably say I love movies more.  :-[

I played a bit of youtube's copy of  Underworld and it appears to be the print used on the Criterion version.  Beautiful and pristine.  Watch it and let me know what you think.  I'm going to run off and watch something before going to bed.  G'night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSNj4clHP08

TigerLily

Rashomon is probably Kurasawa's most critically acclaimed. And a part of pop culture telling  the same event from different viewpoints.  Which one "really" happened?

And of course Seven Samurai.  And Hidden Fortress which inspired Star Wars. Even has R2D2 and C3PO in it

TigerLily

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 17, 2016, 12:53:19 AM
Your welcome. I am enjoying it as well.  Movies are my first love that is besides my wife though she would probably say I love movies more.  :-[

I played a bit of youtube's copy of  Underworld and it appears to be the print used on the Criterion version.  Beautiful and pristine.  Watch it and let me know what you think.  I'm going to run off and watch something before going to bed.  G'night.

I have DirecTV down here. Unfortunately my weak-ass Mexican internet isn't powerful enough to stream movies and takes forever to download. And when I'm in San Diego I'm always too busy to watch any tv. Usually make it to a movie but that's about it

Hopefully you are good at multitasking  ;)  Goodnight